Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies

B

Bring it OOONNN. You are workin yourself to death there, but it looks great

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:12 ]

Nice stuff as always Lake.

Do you leave some of your tikis out for the winter? If so, how do they fare?

Nice double decker Marq! Great idea adding the foilage. This would be a great design for a fountain. Is this what you had in mind?
-FB

Lake-

Your stuff is cool! Like the bar/shelves and lamps!

Still waiting for US Postal to deliver my Mele Kalikimaka sign - hopefully before Hauoli Makahiki Hou!

Aloha

MTM

Lake Surfer,

Wicked Tikis,It is amazing that you are motivated to carve tikis all winter long in you crowded garage. Are you hitting up the surf also? I bet it is quite cold. Over here in S.C. the waves have been rather large. I've been fortunate to be able to surf almost every morning. I look forward to meeting you some day and taking you surfing. Maybee you can give me some pointers on using a chizel. I never have all my work is chainsaw, grinder and sandpaper carved.

Merry X-Mass,
Will
SCTikis

B

Hey Lake, Glad to see you Still bangin'em out. I really love this double decker with the planter in between. Great idea.

Got my Mele Kalikimaka sign today- it looks great!!! It now resides on the front door of Hale MaiTaiMafia...

Thanks LakeSurfer!

Mahalo to you all for your kind words!
Hope to make it out by you again Will and to ride waves with you... I get a lot of my inspiration from surfing... we're iced in now... no surf 'til Spring!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-08-03 07:42 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:13 ]

Dam, that's very different Lake. I like it a lot. It seems like your design flows with the wood. Best piece yet imo.

great work as always surfer. keep it up. did you carve that palm yet?

B

I Agree with JT, this odd shaped piece of wood has brought out the Best in you. This piece really Flows. When you have to work to make it all fit right, it seems you get a little something Extra. Very well done. I Love it.
HappyHappyHappy

Sweeeet! Turned out awesome.........

Tiki G.

MD

Oh my gawd Mr. Surfer........that last curved piece is your total masterpiece! Just flows and goes all bent and beautiful!
awesome awesome awesome.

You took out all the "log" and all that's left is tiki. That's a fine piece, Lake. Lots of character and it's not even done.

Aaron

S

I agree. I'd be damn proud of that one LakeSurfer. Are you still gonna make a fountain out of it?

:blush:

Thanks all for the kind words! I'm happy with it but in my mind I have a long way to go yet... or not... I have to look at it more... I'm my worst critic... that whole trip...

As for a fountain... I don't know yet... I think the mouth is too low for the two bowls I wanted the water to flow in... I may do a thinner log that's taller for the fountain.

"You took out all the "log" and all that's left is tiki."

I like how that sounds! It was sort of my goal but when you have that much wood it seems like an overwhelming task... especially with chisels... the twist and bend in the log was a challenge, but in nature you take what you can get!

Jimmy... the palm is next! I have it on the carving bench I just have to come up with a design... it is a special log so I want to carve a special tiki out of it...

TD

Lake Surfer -

Are your shelves for sale? I like the bamboo-trimmed shelves you posted a while back...do you have a site/contact info where I can order?

Thanks

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:15 ]

Looks good Lake, nice job.

Stick to the Pine. Too many negatives with palm from what I've learned, and I've learned the hard way. Palm is not all it's cracked up to be in "my own humble opinion". It molds, is stringy as you say, it rots, is extra heavy until it dries, is very splintery, attempting detail work sucks with it and it is hard as hell to de-bark.

Hell, I just spent $938.00 getting (11) 5' clean peeled white pine logs freighted to me and there is free palm all around me here. That should tell you my feelings on palm right there. Wish I had a local supply of pine as you guys, just as you wish you had the palm....go figure.

The big sucker rocks!

Rip, Tear and Lacerate.......

Tiki G.

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2005-01-13 10:42 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:14 ]

M

Most excellent work Surfer! He's definately got character with the benz and all. Keep posting.

McTiki

MD

That has probably got to my favorite Tiki I have ever seen!
Its all bent and moving like its alive and drunk and looking for a little wahine to drink with.........cool!
The belly all fat and greasy is a great touch.....GREAT JOB Mr. Surfer!

K

that one rules... he looks so trashed, like he's about to fall over and pass the f#*$ out!

This one's definately got personality.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:15 ]

On 2005-01-10 22:47, Lake Surfer wrote:
Got around to doing a rough sand on this five foot tall two foot diameter log... I spent about a week with the chisels getting it roughed out.

I want to go back in and do some more carving on it... deeper cuts, cleaning up some sketchy areas... then another rough sand into a finer sand then stain...

It has become quite a project!

Side view...

This piece has to be the best I have seen in awhile.The curve makes it come alive.Great piece.

Awesome work as always Dave, keep it up!

Lake-

That tiki is cool! It looks like he's laughing his ass off! Classic!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:16 ]

B

SWEET!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:16 ]

K

wow! lookin sharp already!

Geez, Lake. What you've got done in 3 hours is pretty amazing. It's all technique I guess. Your Marq looks great! Tell us about this "Linden" wood...

Thanks guys :)

Linden is fun stuff when you get a good piece...

AMERICAN LINDEN TREE
Tilia Americana Linnaeus
Common Names: American Basswood, Bee Tree, Whitewood, Limetree.

In late June and early July, can you smell a sweet, haunting fragrance wafting around the city? It comes from the American Linden or Basswood tree, a large tree, growing up to 130 feet tall with a trunk diameter of 2 to 3 feet, and a rounded crown. The bark is furrowed with large "S" shaped ridges going up the trunk.

The Linden is often planted as a shade or street tree because of its fairly rapid rate of growth, plentiful shade and fragrant flowers. In cities its fruit are eaten by squirrels, while in the country its fruit are eaten by chipmunks and other small rodents. White-tailed deer and cottontail rabbits eat the bark and sprouts during the winter. Old basswoods are very frequently hollow, making excellent nesting and den sites for many kinds of birds and mammals.

LEAVES: The leaves are heart-shaped, 4-6 inches long, 3-4 inches wide, dark green with extremely shiny undersides. When the wind blows, the leaf blades are flung over to reveal a glistening bright underside.

**WOOD: Linden wood is soft and creamy, and it is much favored by woodcarvers because of its workability (it is said to "cut like cheese") and its even grain. In past centuries it was used to make ship's figureheads and cigar-store Indians. Today it is used for broom handles, beehive frames, piano sounding boards and certain parts of guitars. **

BARK: The Linden's inner bark is fibrous and can be twisted and woven into cords, ropes and matting. Native Americans of the Northeastern tribes used it to make bags to carry food in and thongs. Rope was made from it by "retting" - keeping the bark under water for about a month, until the soft tissues rotted away leaving the fibrous tissue. Thread made of Basswood bark was used to stitch together mats made of cattail leaves and the bark was used to bind up warriors wounds. The Iroquois carved masks from the sapwood on the living tree and then split it off from the trunk and hollowed it out from behind.

HABITAT: The Linden prefers moist soils of valleys and uplands; in hardwood forests.

MYTHOLOGY: The Green Dryads or tree spirits were said to be wedded to Linden trees. In Roman mythology the Linden tree was a symbol of conjugal love and fidelity.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-02-23 09:29 ]

WOW , that is looking great for such a short amount of time. I wish I could get some linden wood here. Thanks for sharing the info and pics .

B

Lake, you are getting some FINE Detail on this piece, Nice. Sometimes you get a reallyNice piece of wood to carve nd it contains magic. All you have to do is uncover it. Looks like you found that magic in this one. Of course it takes a real knack to do the uncovering...

My god.......It's beautiful!

Unter den Linden Tiki!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:17 ]

Those Tiki's are Amazing!!! Thanks for posting pic's I really love the Marq!!! Very old school
looking. You work fast. I wish I had one in my Tiki Room!!!
Later,
Spermy

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2005-02-23 21:40 ]

Lake,

Im liking that Marq. Real nice so far. Keep it up.

what would you charge for a marq like that??.....new stuff looks amazing by the way....

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2005-12-19 22:17 ]

That is truly awesome , And happy birthday.

Another beautiful Tiki!!! Happy Birthday Too!!! I am a Pieces as well!!
Later,
Spermy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 220 replies