Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 7:16 AM

Yeah, bring it! Benzo - get over there and show him where the pull-start is......

-G

:lol: Ok everybody, I'll have pics soon! I spent today at my sons school for career day. There were a lot of different careers represented there, like a fireman, a policeman with a police dog, and airline pilot, an air traffic controller, and little ol' me! Despite all of the "cool" jobs there, my table was by far the most popular. :D I even sold a Lono pendant to a teacher and, get this, I sold a matching set of surfboard pendants to the policeman and his DOG! So now there is a police dog stopping crime somewhere wearing one of my pendants. Cool!
Tommorow I'll be vending at the Hobe Sound Stroll and Art Walk, if any of you locals would like to stop by, and Sunday is a birthday for two of my sons. Then Monday morning is all about the big tiki, I promise! Who knows, if Ben stops by on Sunday I might even get started then. Thanks everyone!

M

Good thing the dog didn't alert on the Finkster.....Priceless that would have been!

Ok, now no more excuses.

Hangin with the kiddies and using it as an emotional appeal to defend yourself from..............

NOT CARVING.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 2:33 PM

Monday?! no pics till MONDAY!! Oh jeeze..... Ok, I'm going on a hunger strike!!!

On 2007-04-26 14:33, GMAN wrote:
Monday?! no pics till MONDAY!! Oh jeeze..... Ok, I'm going on a hunger strike!!!

Oh for cryn' out loud, don't do that! If you're really nice, I might show you something later today. Maybe. :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2007 4:45 AM

Quick, I'm wasting away to nothing......

B

On 2007-04-27 04:43, finkdaddy wrote:

On 2007-04-26 14:33, GMAN wrote:

Oh for cryn' out loud, don't do that! If you're really nice, I might show you something later today. Maybe. :wink:

Today? Cooooooolll

Forget Adkins or jogging or dieting or any of that bullshit. If you want to loose some serious weight, grab yourself a chainsaw and start carving! I started at about 200lbs and after about 15 minutes of carving I think I'm down to about 45lbs.
This is just the first few cuts, on my very first log, so it should get better from here on out. I hollowed out the back of the log first and started on the head. I have to be careful not to make my v-cuts too deep since there's a questionable amount of solid wood on this log. It's pretty dry.
It's not much yet, but Gman, grab yourself a burger!

I'm going back out for a little more before I get cleaned up for the Haole Kats show at the Mai Kai. See you there!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2007 10:37 AM

ahhhhh, one large Cuban sandwich to go....

Where have I seen that style headdress before...Hmmmmm. I know, no, wait, oh I forget. I do remember a few things like that around these parts, I think? :lol:

Thanks for the pics Fink. I'm gad you were able to get it started and that Ben brought over his chalk :) Are you gonna do any more cutting tonight? I wanna see some more! Looking good!

-G

Thanks Gman, I'm glad you've had something to eat. Yeah, Ben and I talked shop for a while in my garage and it was his hands that laid down the first chalk lines. No more carving tonight though, but I'm sure I'll get a few licks in tommorow morning. Chainsaws are heavy!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2007 1:53 PM

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-04-27 14:04 ]

M

Ahhhhh, much better.

Very nice cutz Fink! Youv'e done this before you tease!

I was thinking the taller log was a full round. Nice length on it.

Mahalo

McTiki

J

On 2007-04-27 09:09, finkdaddy wrote:
Forget Adkins or jogging or dieting or any of that bullshit. If you want to loose some serious weight, grab yourself a chainsaw and start carving! I started at about 200lbs and after about 15 minutes of carving I think I'm down to about 45lbs.

When you get in the zone you can go for hours, you won't want to put it down. You'll get impatient when you have to gas it up.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Apr 27, 2007 6:23 PM

Looking good man :D

C'mon Gman, what did you delete? :wink: After dropping another 50% of my body weight, I've roughed out the eyes and nose. Lots, and lots to go. I wont bore everyone with more pics until I get further along. :blush:

Mahalo!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 1, 2007 5:13 PM

Way to go Finky! We're watching.....

-Gman

TD

Finky looks great! looking forward to more.
what kind of wood did you say that was?

B

Lookin Good Finky, but it's a good thing you stopped when you did. There seems to be a missing upper lip. You need that to cover the white teeth and to smile. We'll fix that tomorrow so Bring it along too. (Don't always trust my drawing).

Hey Ben, can I come over too? Then we can find out if it's really a log or one of his
pendants magnified.
Nice job Finkdaddy.

F

Hey Finky, that'll take some resin, look forward to the pendants in the marketplace :)
Flynny

F

I've got this guy a little further along and cleaned up a lot more. I'm visiting Ben today, so I'll post a pic when I get back home.

Thanks Gman. Stop staring, you're making me nervous. :)

Hey Duddy. It's a palm log, split in half. I've forgotten what kind of palm it is though.

Don't worry Ben. I've already started the mouth and he has a very stiff upper lip. :) I'll bring him with me later.

Thanks Conga! That means a lot coming from you. :) The log is pretty tall, but it's so dry it's as light as one of my pendants!

Boy Flynny, I can't imaging how tall you'd have to be to wear this as a pendant! :lol: Maybe it will just have to be a fridge magnet instead. :wink:

Mahalo!

F

I had the pleasure of meeting AlohaStation and Wplugger yesterday at Benzart's house. If you ever get the chance to hear one of Wplugger's stories, do it! This guy is a natural born narrator! With the his and Alohastation's advice, and angle grinder, I got a lot further on my Big Fink #1. I had a great time and I hope to take you up on that cocktail offer, Tom! :)

C

wow...nice job Finkdaddy. I really like the lay-out of this one and you are
making your cuts deep'n'clean....is that all chainsaw so far? Can't wait to see
more. Finky rocks.

F

Thanks Conga. I didn't start going that deep, it just got deeper as I tried to even out the two sides! Too bad it didn't work. :wink: I did the rough cuts with the chainsaw, and the rest is with a chisel. I took off the bark and smoothed it a bit with an angle grinder.

Finky

I was cool meeting you and the invitation is always open. The tiki is looking really good. Now that the bark was removed it really has a great presence. The angle grinder isn't always the most popular tool for carving, but on a dry log like that one it is indispensable. Keep us updated

M
McTiki posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 1:53 PM

Fink! You are ambiartstic! Very humbled by this carve.

Mahalo

McTiki

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 3, 2007 3:02 PM

Thats coming along very nicely :D

B

Finky, I can't believe how well you are doing on this first Big Tiki. You have adapted to the tools very well and it looks like you are not afraid to go deep for the sweet detail. I'll see you later today.

Thanks again AlohaStation, your tips were a big help. :)

McTiki, is ambiartstic a real word? I'm gonna have to look it up. :wink:

Thanks Hewey. How are those #1 prints comming along?

Ben, big mahalos to you my friend.

Here's what I just finished. I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with the 20 or so inches below his mouth. I've been sketching with the chalk for a while now with no results.

Thanks again everyone.

H
hewey posted on Fri, May 4, 2007 4:10 PM

Do a goatee looking thing, based on an upside down and slightly smaller version of the headress :D

Prints not coming along yet... :lol:

B

Oh He's gonna look GREAT, Wait 'til you see what Finky did to him. Nutthin' but Coolllllll.

F

Sorry Gman, the wood just wouldn't allow for the body we talked about, but with some neighborly advice from Ben we worked out this design. It way trickier than Ben would lead us to believe. There's a bunch of lines that need to be tightened and straightened, but I'm hoping to start sanding tomorrow. I figure if I start sanding now, I should be finished by February. :roll:

That's all for tonight! Mahalo!

C

Incredible work here Finkdaddy, working at the feet of Master Ben is paying huge dividends
for you. This is a great piece of work and you should be very very happy. The scrolls
at the bottom are really killer. I don't know what else to say...

H
Heath posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 5:39 PM

I know what else to say...

WOW!

B

Yeah, What Heath said and, Holy Guacamole Bat Man, How DID you DO That? Finky, Awesome job.
HappyHappyHappy

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 6, 2007 8:03 PM

That looks great man :D But now he needs some scroll work up the top!

F

On 2007-05-06 20:03, hewey wrote:
That looks great man :D But now he needs some scroll work up the top!

I think you need some scroll work up the top! :wink:

Thanks everybody, it's been fun so far but now begins the sanding. God, how I hate sanding.

UNGAWA! I swear I've seen a lot of things but........ that....... is .........AWESOME!

Looking really good. How did the wood carve now that the bark is gone?

J

On 2007-05-06 15:57, finkdaddy wrote:

Big Fink has arrived! I'd say. Isn't that chainsaw thing addictive?

You had room for a body, but I like what you did with it.

JP

TD

Well done! great piece for sure, it turned out terrific. love the mouth and the designs you put on that one.
can NOT wait for more

Thank you everybody! I wanted to do a body, but the wood is very old, brittle and very, very dry, especially toward the bottom of the piece. I didn't want to risk ruining the piece buy making the cuts too deep.

I had a couple coats of clear on him, but he still didn't pop. So I added a bit of oak stain to give him some life. Once the stain is dry I'll add some more varnish and polish him up!

Thanks again every one! :drink:

M

Simply perfect! Wish Ben lived in meh hood! I'd be watchin him closely too. Keeper piece!

Now carve a 7 footer and sell it to a TC'r!

Happy!

Mahalo

McTiki

Thanks McTiki! I'm kind of hoping a TCer will take this one so I can afford a bench and a set of my own chisels. Ben has been a huge help and inspiration, as you can imagine. :)

M

PM'd ya!

H
Heath posted on Fri, May 11, 2007 1:02 PM

Stunning!
A great finish for a great carve!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 11, 2007 1:27 PM

Yes Finky, that is dynamite! I was sad that you didn't do a body, but I understand why you did what you did. I think he looks great, and that multi-color stain job really accents your work. A wonderful effort and a terrific piece. I hope a TCer takes him off your hands and helps you get some new toolz. I think we need a Fink-cam too!

B

Ditto what Gman said and everyone else too. Excellent work grasshopper!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies