Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies

B

Man Lookit the Colours! Dynamite Mr FinkDaddy!

J

On 2007-04-05 16:34, finkdaddy wrote:

Wow, that is a bright happy bunch! Brings a big smile to my face.

JP

Very cool. I like the nature pieces you've done alot. That fish is excellent. One day i need to come for a visit and see how you do your molds.

Thanks everybody. Yeah Gman, that green is my favorite too. :) AlohaStation, anytime you want to stop by is great. Let me know and maybe we can get Gman here too!

Here is an order of magnets and pendants that I just put together for a TCer. Someone is going to have a very colorful fridge!

That's one heck of a lucky TC'er. Great stuff FinkDaddy

Aloha y'all! I haven't posted in a few days because I've been busy painting my resin pieces for an art walk I'm vending at this month. If anyone is in the area, I'll be vending at the Hobe Sound Stroll and Art Walk on April 28th. I'd love to see you there!
I wanted to have a couple more sea life designs, so I started on this seahorse today. It's a piece of mahogany that was a bit more firm than the stuff I've worked with so far. I like it better because it doesn't tend to break and peel as much. Lately I've been using a combo of Dremel tools and the hook knife.

I'm really itching to try a big tiki. I'm gonna have to invest in some big tools next month I think. I already have a chainsaw, so all I should need is some chisels, right? Ben, I need some lessons!
Thanks for looking everybody! :drink:

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 16, 2007 4:35 PM

Cute seahorse mate. Good to see you back with wood,

B

Lessons coming up Soon. The Seahorse looks Great, can't wait to see how you finish him off.

M

Fink! That stuff is fantastic work! (I am wanting that seahorse)

Nicely done !

Mahalo

McTiki

Hewey, thanks mate! When I'm done with this one, I'm going to do an old fashioned wooden tiki 'cause I know you like 'em so much. :)

Ben, I'm so glad you're home safe. Don't over do it right away, we don't want you getting hurt. I can't wait to see you have brewing in the workshop!

McTiki, thanks! If you're serious I'll make sure you get first dibs. Mahalo!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Apr 16, 2007 9:19 PM

Finky,

It's time to go BIG! A big wooden Marq perhaps?

-G

Yeah, Gman, it's time I think. :wink: A Marq would (wood?) be a good place to start. When I get that far I want to spend a lot of time on the design and try to make those deep tiki cuts. Of course I'll let you know when I start on it. How's that secret project of yours commin'? Pics, man, pics!

I just stained the seahorse. When it's all dried up I'll put in a shell eye and tie a real chord on it.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 17, 2007 11:55 AM

TIGHT!

you're knockin' me out with this stuff Finkdaddy. Each one seems better
than the last, and this seahorse is just super. Anxious to see you go into
big wood but I'm afraid you're going to spur some of us into retirement.
Nice work.

Thanks Gman and Conga, and don't worry, it will be a looooonnnggg time before I put anybody out of buisness. :wink:
Here it is all finished up. I'm going to make a mold of him tommorow for some resin.

Thanks again!

He is veeeeeeery cute. I love him...can't wait for the resins. :)

H
hewey posted on Tue, Apr 17, 2007 7:47 PM

Seahorse came out great. now go BIG!

whoa! well done! like the color to it aswell. great job

H

Hey finkdaddy, that´s a great piece of work. The wood looks beautiful and the seahorse very lovely.
Greetings, Haikai

M

Nice details! Nice finish! Nice inlay work!

Major Props!

Mahalo

McTiki

So when are you going to drive into you first Palm log?

B

Yup, I Knew he was gonna turn out Great! Nice job Finky, these aquatic pieces you are doing are Really Excellent.

Fantastic work Finky! Really, really, nice.

C

Beautiful! Congrats!

J

Gasp! Wow. Nice.

JP

T

The seahorse is a very fine piece indeed. Someone before said "Now go BIG", and it struck me that going big with a similar seahorse, well that would be very cool. Did you already mention what kind of wood you used? I missed it if so...

VampiressRN, Thank you! I'll post pics of the resins sometime this morning on my resin thread.

Hewey, Thanks mate! I will go big before too long. I need some big tools first. :wink:

Duddy, Your stuff is looking good as well. Thank you!

Haikai, Thank you. I've done a few seahorses now and they're fun to make.

McTiki, Thanks for the props! :)

AlohaStation, I want to start something big soon. I need to clean up my chain saw and get a couple of gouges first, I think, and then I'll be on my way.

Benzart, Always major thanks to you for your kindness and advice. Come over any time!

Dr Bamboo, Clarita, and JohnnyP, Mahalo!! :D

Tikigap, I've thought about maybe doing a series of sea life wall hangings. A big free-standing 5 foot seahorse would be pretty damn cool though! The wood is a nice firm piece of mahogany that I finished with red oak stain.

Thank you, everybody, for all your kind words!

I started work on a larger sized Cook Island face today. I think it's going to be piece of a larger sign, I'm not sure yet. Benzart stopped by and gave me a few pointers on how to make certain cuts and on how to sharpen the old hook knife. It helped a lot. Thanks Ben!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Apr 20, 2007 3:07 PM

"a larger sized Cook Island face"......

C'mon Finky, we wanna see a 5' pole from you. I saw your subject change to Cook Island and thought you had started a big guy. It's time my friend.....c'mon, pretty please???

I like this guy a bunch, he's beautiful, but we wanna see some big, bold, and deep cuts in a big honkin' piece of tree! Let 'er rip!

-Gman

Yo, Finky, That seahorse turned out ultra tight...and the new tang looks to be on its way to be a beautiful piece..Nice Stuff!

Soon, Gman, soon. I fired up the chainsaw today to make sure it still worked ok. Now I just have to locate a log.

I want to see you carve a 5+ footer as well. But will you be able to make a resin casting of it?

On 2007-04-20 16:55, Raffertiki wrote:
I want to see you carve a 5+ footer as well. But will you be able to make a resin casting of it?

LOL!

Nice work on the tiki face, the chisel marks look really good, muy authentico!

On 2007-04-20 16:18, finkdaddy wrote:
...Now I just have to locate a log.

In 5-6 more months, you'll have more Palm logs than you know what to do with.. :wink:

Nice Tang!

~Skully

[ Edited by: Capt'n Skully 2007-04-20 19:06 ]

Hi Finky...nice work...I want you to do a 5 foot tree-tiki with a hook knife...let's
see how fast you do that! For you...prolly two days.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Apr 21, 2007 6:56 PM

Nice, but its not BIG enough! We want BIG!

B

Where's the pix's, I thought you'd be done with the cook by now, No? Well i Know it's gonna look good as I Saw it the other day and you waz Crankin on it.

OK. No more excuses. Chainsaw (check). Chisels (check). Logs (check). I'll post progress pics!

M

Oh yeah! (gets popcorn)

Mahalo

(I'm envious!)

McTiki

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 1:38 PM

Yep, I'm watching. You have my attention. When is this rodeo fixin' to kick off?

-Gman

im watching you too

Oh man, I got Ben, McTiki, Gman, and Marcus Thorn watching me? [wipes sweat from brow]. Deep breaths, Fred. No pressure, no pressure.

BTW, Gman, your Biter turned out amazing!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 3:44 PM

You weren't supposed to POST that Benz is a hack, just tell him !!!! You bone-head!

J

OK two logs and a chainsaw. That is a good start!

Now you need to add a large pile of sawdust.

JP

H
hewey posted on Thu, Apr 26, 2007 2:17 AM

Get off that scooter and carve - its been 2 days and no pics! :D

B

I guess I'll come over and show you how to HACK a tiki out of them logz! :) :) :)

M

Enough chatter! Where's the work? Where's the freakin dust? Where's the pics?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies