Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies

B

Nice bunch of stuff there Finky, I Love the pendants.
This guy is Incredible and his Tongue is really great

AND lookit your cord work, Nice and tight and Uniform and Perfect as is the snake holding it down!

even your Pendants have neat little tongues.

Thanks for the props, everyone!

Special thanks to you, Ben. I only followed your advice for making the cords. That screwdriver trick works like a charm!

I still have a lot of stuff left over from the weekend. I just put a bunch of it up on the Coconut Economy website: http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/coconuteconomy/index.php?list/15
(let me know if you have trouble logging in)

Please let me know if your interested in anything and I'll get it to you right away!

Super-Mahalos,

F

F

One night in class, when I was bored and not paying attention, I did a couple of pen-doodles to pass the time.
For some reason I only drew half-faces.
Here is one of them:

So, naturally, I carved him in bone in all of his half-glory.

For some reason this piece of bone has a lot of different colors in it.
I haven't decided if I like it enough to make a mold with it yet.
Thanks for looking!

Nice stuff, man! Great natural flow and detail. Bone is the best carving material around. I was hooked from the first piece.

B

Well then I guess It's only Half way Excellent then. Still it's tiki as it can't be anything else and I think it's Really Cool OR is it HALF Cool? :)
Naah All the way cool.

It looks like a tiki to me but if you want you can just call it a ti or ki. :)

F

Thanks BK! Yeah, I love carving bone too. I just wish you could get it in log sized pieces!

Ben, he may be cool in his own right, but compared to any carving of yours he's only half cool. :wink:

Thanks Tikilizard, maybe we should start a ti carving thread! :lol:

Very cool Fink, maybe you could make on of those for the Poly Pop Menu Art Swap

By the way, bone does come in log sized chunks - you just have to break into a natural history museum :lol:

F

Aloha one and all!
In my mad carving frenzy I finished up another pendant this afternoon. He's carved in mahagony, which is really nice to carve with hand tools. I roughed out the shape with the bandsaw, but everything else was done with a hook knife, a small round-tipped knife, a lot of sandpaper, and a paint brush.
If you are going to carve with hand tools, mahagony is a good wood to use since it's soft enough to cut and it holds a fair amount of detail. You just have to be careful on tiny shapes because it will "chip out" on you and cause much greif.

Thanks for looking!

Great job on the Tangaroa face!

and a lot of great work above that post!
the 1/2 face bone is awesome!

Right on Finkdaddy!

very very VERY nice I love the mask....

F

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

K
kirby posted on Thu, Aug 6, 2009 9:15 AM

awesome tang dude..good luck with the show...

C

Great stuff Finkdaddy...really love your Tang. You're doing your
part to keep Wisconsin on the tiki map.

T

So, naturally, I carved him in bone in all of his half-glory.

Nice half a pendant. So, are they gonna be half-price?? :P

F

Thanks again everybody!

I will be doing these in a few different colors too.

Very cool Finkdaddy!

FINK! Those are GREAT!

right on, fd! you are on fire. it's so good to see you cranking out so many great pieces.

I've been playing around with my computer art the last couple of days. Mostly I'm just doing online tutorials and substituting my own pics and colors and then tweeking them around a bit.

Thanks for looking!

B

Cool stuff Finky, Love the tangaroa but I Really love the PS Moai with the glyphs and the birdman on them. Awesome piece.

T

Yep, cool stuff. I found a link of photoshop tutorials myself I've been meaning to go through.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies