Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies

T

I'm diggin' the sculpt of the octopus. That thin Marq is pretty skinny, great job.

F

Thanks Mango! The o'pus is a cast of a bone carving I did a while back.

BD

sweet lil marq fink. love the grain on the guy. nice job.

bd

I always liked that octopus carve!!!

B

Your Marq looks Great, I Thought you'd love carving that Ziricote wood, Fun isn't it? Actually it Machines like soft metal.
Of course I'm Always Pushing you to do your carvings better and you seem to be pushing yourself even More and the results are really showing. If you ever wonder what I would wnat you to do next, just look for all the little corners and little rough spots and Keep cleaning, cleaning (Wood carvers call it "Teasing") until a Macro photo looks good, then you can be Done! :) :lol: :o
Thanks Finky, you make me proud!

T

Great color on the resins. And the lizard - wow! :o

F

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments. It's been a fun week for me! :D
I just finished carving this piece of red cedar. My daughter thought it looked like a monkey. :)
I must say that this piece was heavily influenced by TC's Aloha Station. I really like the way his work has a happy, care-free look to it. I wish it came so easily for me.
I am going to make a mold of this one and do some copies.

Mahalo!

Man, those are lookin' GOOD! Tight detail work. And I'll take your word on the Ziricote, ...me no carve! But MAN, it does look beautiful.

BD

he looks great. looks like he just bit into a very bitter lime or had a rather bad drink served to him. great work.

bd

S

Nice Tight Clean! fine work.

B

Nice one Finky, I Love the little bit'o tongue peeking out there!

I'm inspiring - is that like being contagious? Nicely done. So when should I look for my commission check?

T

Don't ever call an Ape a Monkey, have you learned nothing from Charlton Heston and Roddy McDowall? I love the glass-like finish you managed on this guy. Great!

Surfintiki, yeah, the Ziricote is beautiful, but tough! Another thing, the wood smells amazing while you're carving it. It's like some kind of wonderful insense.

Big Daddy, thanks! I wanted to give him some personality.

Seeksurf, thanks for the comps!

Ben, I thought you'd like that. :D

AlohaStation, Check huh? OK, but don't cash it until the date I write on it. :wink:

Tikimango, thanks again, but watch out for those damned dirty apes!

I'll have a bunch of these resin copies for sale there too, on the cheap.
I've been playing around with resin tints and have been very happy with the results. :thumbsup:

Impressive.... I got the fever again....more please

great work fd! i really dig the red cedar "monkey". the resins are looking good too. you can really see the details on those last 3.

T6

Finkdaddy; You have an impressive body of work and I'm inspired everytime I see your carvings. You have a great eye for detail.
Thanks for sharing your talent with all of us. Its one of the reasons I do my quick lurking at work.

Thank you guys for the nice words! I'll have more coming very soon. :)

T

Love those colors! Very cool. 8)

Here is a lono pendant that I worked on almost completely durring my son's baseball practices, done completely with a hook knife and a small gouge. The result is something that is not as clean as some of my other stuff, but that's OK since I will be making a mold of him anyway.

I don't know what kind of wood it is, but it didn't carve very well. It was very "chippy" and didn't want to hold any crisp edges. Hopefully I'll be able to pour some molds later this evening.
Mahalo!

T6

WOW! Those chips fell out at the right places.

You knocked another one out of the Pineapple field

If you keep carving masterpieces at practice. I can wait to see when he has a Double header :).

Next up ........................... Carved Tiki Ball Bat ? ? ?

L

Really hope you can cast that Roaring Lono...its one of my favorite designs from you recently. Great new work Finkdaddy!

Tiki 65, a baseball bat, huh? It would be cool if I could carve one that could still be used. I'll think on that for a while. Thanks for the comps!

leleliz, I just poured the mold right now. I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks a bunch. :wink:

I just tested out the resin mold and it seems to have worked just fine. 8)

MAN! You bang these out! Beautiful.

B

You Never Disappoint! Cool carving Finky, I LOVE it.

I hope to see a good variety of your work at the chef shangri-la 33rd anniversary......good stuff!

Love the reproductions... did you post a "How To" some where on here I have been working on some small pieces that I would love to try and mold.

S

Your a regular Pro @ this! Nice!

Thanks everybody!
Palm City, I'm not sure if I posted a how-to here yet, but I will do one soon so you can at least see how I do it.

This was an end piece of zebra wood that I'm sure came from Benzart's place. Being an end piece, I didn't really want to carve it, but it was way to beautiful to throw away. So I made this simple piece to show off it's amazing color and grain.

I wish this pic didn't look so washed-out, because you could get lost forever in the color.
Thanks for looking!

L

Famous wood!!!!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 17, 2009 2:04 AM

Sweet carvings, and the resin pieces are great too :D

B

This shape of carving sticks perfectly with the zebra wood. Nice carve.

Benjamin.

B

Finky, a Beautiful way to show off a great piece of wood. Excellent piece!

ALOOOOOOOOOOHA!

I worked on some wall hagings today.
The first one is my newest resin mounted on a round piece of mahogany. It was sort of an afterthought of the day, but I was pleasently suprised at how cute it turned out.

This is an older piece that I did. Some may remember it from Hukilau 3 or 4 years ago. This one is mounted on a gorgeous piece of mokey pod wood.

This is the same piece, but painted to look like wood and mounted on a board covered with a piece of tropical print fabric.

Now for the special pieces!
My 7 year old, Brendan, wanted to get in on the fun, so he drew up these pictures mounted in classy popsicle stick frames.
A hula girl with "real" fabric skirt, and a tiki by a palm tree.

Then my 6 year old, Quinn, felt left out so he made a couple too.
The first is a 4-frame picture.

1. a pineapple
  2. funny square guy discovers the pineapple
  3. he picks it up over his head
  4. he becomes sad because the pineapple broke in half :(
    The second is the same funny square guy saying, "You are cute!"

They made me promise to sell them at the Chef event, so come early to get yours! :wink:
B

Finky There you go Again, doing Excellent stuff and staying ahead of the game,I Love the plaques.

Thanks again Ben. :)
I'm trying to get as much done as I can before next weekend.
Tomorrow I should spend the day braiding cords for all the pendants I've done lately.
I usually make my daughter do it, but she's visiting my family out in Vegas.
I'm not looking forward to crampy fingers!

fink

gotta agree with benz. love the plaques.

bd

Thanks Ben and Big Daddy!

Just a couple of more from today.

Mahalo!

T

Oh wow, love those tropical print plaques. They really show off the work very well. Great idea, those should sell like hotcakes!

Very cool plaques.

Nice stuff Finky! You were absent for too long, but you have certainly
returned with a tiki vengeance. The tropical background really looks great
with your carvings. Coooooool.

Finkster! I love the end grain zebra wood. It has a different "stippled" look with all the end grain dots. Very unique. All of your resin pieces are looking fantastic! Tell the kids to keep on drawing and doing art like their good ole Dad. My son is the same way, and he loves to draw tikis.

Thanks everybody! I wouldn't do it if it weren't a ton of fun to do and now my kids are getting involved too, which is a super-bonus.
Is it just me or has all of the art on this site become outstanding?!
I'm very proud to be a part of it.

I'm all ready for the Chef Shangri La Anniversary!
Here are some pics of everything before I load it in the van.

Mahalo everybody, I'll see you later tonight!

L

That's all you did? Looks awesome all laid out like That! Hope you come back with only cash is your pockets!

BD

nice stuff fink. good luck at the chef shangri la, wish i could stop in but...well it's just a bit out of the way for me right now.

bd

very nice!

Amy

Really nice stuff! The mask is wonderful.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies