Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies

Thanks guys!
I stayed up late to finish this one, but heck, only one day of work until the long weekend.
Watch out everyone, Rollergirl's commin' for you! :lol:

Holy Crap!! Nicely done.

H
Heath posted on Wed, Nov 21, 2007 7:45 AM

Very nice!

S

Great Job! I just love the head with the helmet and a star on it
to funny. Fantastic work.

C

hahahaha! Standing Applauses!!!!

B

Don't Mess with Roller Girl, She looks pretty tough carrying her Shrunken head around. Finky, your Imagination is growing by leaps and bounds along with your carving skills.

I especially love the Hula Girl...what a talent!!! Beautiful lines and colors. :)

Very nice. This roller Derby girl is going to treasure this one.

Oh, she does, indeed. I'm gonna have to pop in and follow this thread more often. ;P

Wow, thanks everyone!
I finished up another girl this past weekend, so I wanted to post some pics before she gets sent off to a new home. This one in particular is very hard for me to let go of. I feel like my mind clicked on something with this one. It felt like I was carving a 3d piece instead of carving a 2d piece in 3 dimensions. Does that make any sense?
I should point out that my daughter helped me alot with the begining sketches. She's becoming a big part of my recent carvings.

Mahalo for looking!

Finkdaddy these are all great. You did such a super job with this last one
that I am just sitting here grinnin'. You're making us northerners real
proud of you.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Are you kidding me? That is SENSATIONAL!

Fink, your carving talent is boundless!!!

sandz

S

NICE! you are perfecting what i thought was perfection.
I see the 3D she is rounder than previous ones.

T

Definitively your best one so far, it's beautiful.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 12, 2007 5:52 PM

Looking very nice my freind! :D You mean the previous ones you were just playing around, you've only just 'got it'? Could have fooled me! :lol:

B

Finky, You are carrying this tradition of the Hula girl to new heights and I am Very happy that Josie has been such a positive influence on the project AND that you even Let her be so involved. Kudos to you for seeing where you needed help the most and accepting that help from where it needed to come from! (if that makes any sense). I believe this line can/will make you famous, both of you. Way to go.

T

Kudos to your daughter for helping the old man out. :wink: Fabulous work!

C

Wow finkdaddy! This one is even better, if that is possible!! Amazing, amazing, work! congrats!

H

Where are ya mate?

J

On 2008-02-12 22:56, hewey wrote:
Where are ya mate?

Yah, You were fast and furious with those wonderful carvings, then you've been starving us.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Feb 13, 2008 7:59 AM

?????

Beautiful work Finkdaddy!

Can't wait to see what you do next..

J

Bump

H
hewey posted on Wed, Apr 23, 2008 1:35 AM

:(

That would look sweet hanging from a rearview mirror. Nice work.

[ Edited by: Tikilizard 2008-04-23 06:03 ]

Just a bump for this guy that started posting again. Where you been? and what you been doing?

Aloha everyone!
I truly am sorry for not posting in so long. It's been a strange time in my life with lots of ups and downs, and between the kids, wife, job, and school I've had very little time to carve very much.
But a recent conversation I had wih Benzart pushed me into posting here again. Now that I'm laid off from work I'll be posting quite a bit, I think. It's nice to see and hear from you all again.

I haven't really been carving a lot, but here are a couple of things I have done:

A bone Tangaroa. I read a story about he and his two sons, the shark and the lizard.
This piece features the shark. I plan on doing another one with the lizard too.

This is a tassle pin I made for a friend.

There is a large palm log I drug up here from Florida that I'm carving right now.
I'll show pics when I'm done, which should be next week sometime.

Thanks for everyones thoughts. I'll keep in touch!

Yahoo Finky's back in town :)
Great to see you back finkdaddy, I really really really love the
Tangaroa. Great design.

Sorry to hear about your layoff. I've been unemployed for 2 months now, the worst and best thing that could have happened to me and my creative side. The pendant looks great, and the swingin' kitties.

T

On 2009-05-27 06:52, finkdaddy wrote:

I am pretty sure I know who this is for....very nice work Finkdaddy.

Sweet! The shark Tang is amazing. A+ on creativeness.

He's Baaaaaaack~ Great stuff, Finky!!

L

I am not a pendant type of gal which is why I rarely comment on anyone's pendant carving threads but how in the heck did I miss all these great carves of yours?????

And how does one go about getting one? and what price range do they go for?

Even though you made the derby one many moons ago as a former derby girl I have to say that really kicked ass!

Thanks everyone!
Here is one I've been working on lately.
It's a palm log that Benzart and I scored in Florida.
These pics are after a couple coats of clear and it's still wet.
There is still a ton of sanding and coating to go yet.

It really is nice to hear from you all again.

man!! i just went through your thread and my chin is all scraped up from hitting the floor so many times! glad i caught up on everything. so many pieces that really stand out! the seated uke girl is just incredible! but they all are! sorry about your job situation, but glad for the move to fl!

did you move back? now i'm confused.

lol. No, I didn't move back. I did live near Benzart in Florida for a short time, but then moved back to Wisconsin (not by my choice, I promise you!).
I am visiting this weekend though to see some of my old friends.

Thanks for the kind words though, they really do mean a lot to me.

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 4:15 PM

Heya Finky! Great to hear from you again man. Ive really missed your work. Sucks to hear about your job, but its great to see your work again :lol: Welcome back, its been too long!

J

Welcome back! Nice to see your work again, especially that New Zealand hook.

M
mieko posted on Thu, May 28, 2009 5:03 PM

Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the layoff. I'm so glad you're getting some carving in - your stuff is incredible! I love the cats - those and the hula girls you were doing are such a neat and unique style. The shark and tang are incredible too! And that Moai is looking great - if that's one of those typical Florida palms, I'm amazed at how smooth it is already!

B

WOW, It's So great t see more of your stuff finky. I see you have continued on very well with your carving skills, doing absolutely Magical looking pieces. The Hook is a welcome addition . can't wait to see you later today!

WELCOME BACK FINK!!! :D

And what a comeback! :o

This Bone Tang/Shark Hook is amazing!

With all your oars in the water, it's full steam ahead! Look forward to more of your extraordinary work!

L

Thank again for getting back to me on ordering one of your pendants. I have it down as my next art item to buy for sure.

I also just checked out the blog you used to keep. Man I love seeing how these pendants come together.

Your talent for the tiny is amazing! My personal fav just switched to the hula girl carrying a cocktail pendant you made last year sometime.

Awesome stuff. Be sure to post more often!

Great to see you posting again and with some AMAZING pieces too!!!! I was just admiring my finky #2 the other day, hoping that you were still carving!

I'm with everyone else drooling over that marquesian/shark pendant. You're really good at capturing the "soul" of a piece.

Welcome back and please post more!!!!

C

On 2009-05-27 08:10, Turbogod wrote:

On 2009-05-27 06:52, finkdaddy wrote:

I am pretty sure I know who this is for....very nice work Finkdaddy.

WOAH!!!
Yep - one hell of a great pin that's going to look fabulous on her fez :wink:

F

Thanks everyone!

Here is a piece I started in Florida and never completed. All I've done it give it a light sanding and added a clear coat. I'll probably add two more coats, but I'm not going to sand it anymore since I kind of like the roughness of the cuts.
It's just a tad over 35 inches tall.

There is one more big piece that I have to repair, and then it's back to some bone carving and other projects.

Later!

B

Finky, I'm glad you decided to finish this guy, he has some Great features and detail. I Love the roughness and the fine detail as well. great contrasting stuff going on.

S

Well look at that tiki great work and the detail wow.
I thought you where the pendent master, but look at this.

C

Very glad to see you around again, great new pieces!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies