Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies

T

Amazing work, it's real cool.

Like that piece, fink...very fine, tight craftsmanship. PM me and I have something I want to send you (Marquetry book, if I can find it)..

J

What a happy little plucker..

S

Very nice and great detail.

B

Finky, she is really coming together fast. She's so full of action, she's gonna be worn out by the time you are finished with her. She Plucks alright!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Oct 21, 2007 11:41 PM

Do you do a drawing first to work out the design?

Hey everyone! Boy, it's been a busy weekend here. Lot's of kids activities, a wedding, and lots of carving.
Thanks a ton for the great comments. :)
Here's where she's at. There's still the chord to make, but she's otherwise complete. She measures in at just under 4.5".

Sorry if they're a bit blurry. I have terrible lighting in my house.

Grog, you asked me about sketches. I don't have the sketches from the first two, but here are some ones I'm thinking of using. They were made by my daughter, jogibear here on TC.

I know there a bit hard to see, but they're there. Is there an idea that you'd like to see?

Aloha Finkdaddy!!!!!!!!!
What a really COOL Hula Girl carving.She does Flow like she is moving.SWEET my friend, Mooney

Awesome Finky....really cool design and great execution! You have been knocking out
some excellent stuff....very original and creative. Keep 'em coming!

She's Beautiful - great job.

The other night at the Mai Kai I got to see the first one up close and have to say that she was even better in person. One question - what are you using to hold the skirt together? You were well represented at the Mai Kai the other night - every time I turned around someone had one of you pendants on. Made me a little envious, the Rum Barrels helped me get over it. Can't wait to see the next one.

B

Excellent stuff. The grooves of the lines are just perfection.
Your daughter had the grooves under her pen.
Can't wait to see the next one.

Ben

B

For a guy named Fink, you certainly have a way with the ladies. :)

Another excellent piece of woodworking! I noticed she's a lefty.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 23, 2007 11:38 PM

Wow, that looks really nice.

Whoops!! GROG meant CRAP!! PURE CRAP!!

Thanks again everybody! :) I'm starting a new piece tonight. I don't have anything in mind, so it will be intesting to see where out girl ends up.

AlohaStation, a few people have asked me that. The skirt is actually a lot more solid than you would think. Each piece is fastened in at least two places with carpenters glue. By the time two or three of those layers get glued together it becomes pretty firm. A lot of the strength also comes from the layers of poly that I put on at the end. Of course you want to be carefull with it because a drop would cause some damage, but it will be just fine.

Mahalo!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 26, 2007 4:01 PM

Awesome work mate, absolutely gorgeous :D Cant wait to see the next one!

C

Very Very nice! Congrats! From the sketches I like the pineapple one,but I would like it better with the girl like this last one, with a front view and the pineapple on the side....Best wishes!

Thanks Hewey and Clarita!

I've finaly started a new girl today.
There's not much to show yet, but here she is so far:

Mahalo for looking!

It's been a busy few days, but I finally got some time in tonight. She's going to be holding either a torch or a spear, I haven't decided yet.

Thanks!

B

Another Beauty Finky. Where are you finding the grip to do this with? EXCELLENT WORK!

Thanks Ben, are you telling me I need to get a grip? :wink:

Here she is. I still want to put another coat of clear on. She's about 3.5" tall.

Thanks for looking!

B

Another SweetHeart Finky, WOW!

fink this hula dancer series is INSANELY good. I mean like "enter-it-into-woodworking-competitions good."

Seriously.

You'd blow all those amature bowl turners out of the water!!!

The way that you blend all the wood together...and layer it...the complimentary colors...carving skill (they don't even looked carved!) and the eye for detail (like the skull necklace!). just amazing.

wow.

THanks for sharing and I'm sorry I didn't see this thread until now. I've really been missing out!

Thanks Ben, I hope you're enjoying the weather down there. It's cold this morning!
Polynesiac, thanks a bunch. You're too kind!

Very Beautifully done Finkdaddy!! I really like the little Skull necklace.

Ditto Polynesiac's comment about these being INSANELY good!!!

And I too, think those skulls are perfect touches. Are they wood, or something else?

C

Wunnerful wunnerful Finkdaddy. And now for your next number....

H
hewey posted on Sat, Nov 3, 2007 4:43 PM

Mate, I don't know what's sparked this, but since your move back, you've been pumping out some awesome work!

J

On 2007-11-03 10:26, finkdaddy wrote:

Thanks for looking!

No thank you for sharing. It looks like she could just dance right out of your hand.

Fantasticly outstanding.

S

Very Nice, It just reaps with quality.

B

WOWOWOWWOWOOWWOWOWOWOWWOWOWOWOOWWOOWWOOWOWOWOWOWWOWOW

Top shelf,

j'adore.

Ben

T
Tabu posted on Sun, Nov 4, 2007 7:55 AM

This is a really beautiful piece. I like the others in the series as well. The little uke is nuts.

T

Wow, the hula girls continue to amaze me! Man, the attention to detail on these is remarkable! I'm really enjoying seeing these come together. :)

F

Wow, thanks again everybody. You're making me blush. :blush:
These have been a lot of fun to do, and I have another one or two to do until I move on the next idea.
I'm probably posting this in the marketplace tonight, so chime in there if you're interested in her.
:drink: Mahalo! :drink:

C

Beautiful!! Congrats!

I haven't had much time to carve this week, but I've managed to squeeze in some time for a commision piece. It's for a woman who plays roller derby. There are some fun things planned for this one, so stay tuned!

She's only about 3" now, but I think she'll be closer to 4" when I'm finished. I have to give big props to my daughter, who helped me a ton with the sketches on this one.
Thanks for looking! :drink:

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 14, 2007 2:47 AM

I know roller derby is tough, but an amputee? What happened to her arm? :lol:

B

The whole series is Way ON Top Finky, you have Really out done yourself, Way to GO! Do you want more Purpleheart?

C

Yes! more purpleheart for finkadaddy!!!

Hey Hewey, actually, that whole upper right quarter of her body will be cut out to fit inside her hair. Then her arm will be attached afterward. Right now she's the Venus De Rollergirl!

Thanks a bunch Ben. I'm learning more and more each time. It's been a lot of fun.
I would LOVE to get some more purple heart! I would also like to get my hands on some more of that Alaskan Yellow Cedar. It carves really nice.

Thanks Clarita! :D

There's still another arm to go, but here's where I'm at right now. It's been a busy weekend, I wish I had more free hours in the day. :wink:

Mahalo!

I'm stopping now for the Packer game. More pics later.

Go Pack!!

Finkdaddy this one is unbelievable, I think it's the best one and I love the
Elvis background. Going back to the Packer game too....kind of a crazy season huh?

H

wow what a great series of carvings!!
How do you get all those tiny tiny details in?? eg the lips?
great concept and each one is refreshingly new.
keep it up!
harro.

These Lil' Honeys are perfection, Bro!

Thanks Conga. 9-1, bring on the Lions!!

Thanks Harro. The little stuff can be fun to do. I use really small dremel bits, I squint a lot, I swear a lot, and sometimes it takes a couple of tries. It's all good though. I love a challenge.

Thanks FB. It's hard to let these ones go. I get attached to them pretty early on.

B

I'm SPEECHLESS. (*&#$%()&$@_@#

S

Very nice. This roller Derby girl is going to treasure this one.

H

Those babes are HOT, finkD! You've really got a grip on that small scale stuff-veeery nice, indeed!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies