Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

One of a Kind StUfF by Bamboo Ben....newer pg 21?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 320 replies

On 2005-06-13 15:48, Ocean-Tiki wrote:
Kirby. Show us the bar. Very interested.

Hey Son of a Beach. Eat Your Meds!!!

p.s. Just built a 20' tiki bar for the Hilton in HB.

And, the Bamboo Bar & Grill in Laguna Beach
will have 2 altered House of Tiki masks turned into wall lamps inside the bar part.

p.s.s. Ooops. I meant Ocean - tiki?

OK. Back on a better note..........

Kon Tiki Tucson Lamps before..........

and after........

More soon.

p.s. shouldn't this be in other crafts???

B

No it shouldn't, it should be Closer to South Florida! Thats where you should put it.
Nice Stuff BamB as always and now you're giving it away? Making room to move to SoFlo?

Great restorations! did you also redo the jug/float lamp too? that one looks very interesting.

A great peek at the other master ben at work!

Dear Abby,

I can't figure out to paste this in it's page form. I have a 10 inch old crank start moniter so it's hard for me to see. Any help would be sweet!

http://epaper.ocregister.com/Default/Client.asp?enter=true&skin=OCW&Daily=OCWHBWaveSouth&AW=1150991106966

Poly-ne,

That lamp was odd. It was 2 old fish floats held together with 2 barrels and they had little lights in them that reflected the fish balls. All cleaned up and somewhere in Kon Tiki Tucson now.

Beenzo,

I wish I was in SoFlo. The humidity rocks for Bamboo!!! I still feel that this should be under crafts though.

Marcos from Kon Tiki Tucson dropped off 5 more lamps to me while he was on leave last week (Soaking up some SD and HB sunsets!!! They don't get em out in the deseret and the smile on his face was awesome!!!) and I'll try to post them here soon. Befor and afterz.

Hey!! I just noticed GROG joined!! Yee Haw!! If any of you don't know who he is, he's the bloak behind the Bamboo Ben Cartoon in Tiki Magazine ( and the Simpsons too!) Good Times ahead!! Grog Rocks!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Jun 22, 2006 9:56 AM

GROG heard that Bamboo Ben is open on a FRIDAY?!!!!!!!!!!!

Whoa!

P

Bamboo Ben has reason to celebrate

I got an e-mail from my pal and favorite Hawaiian-style furniture and interior designer and maker, Bamboo Ben, the other day saying he was gonna redo his shop and retail outlet in Huntington Beach and was having a “Big Kahuna Sale.”  
Ben is not the best at details so I had his wife, Mrs. Bamboo,  

write be back with all the details. For those of you who don’t know about this guy, he is the “Big Kahuna” of the bamboo. Here is the information I got from Mrs. Kahuna.
They’ve planned a "Big Kahuna" three-day-sale from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. this Friday through Sunday. To wind down the weekend with some fun, on Sunday local tiki carver Crazy Al will be doing a live tiki carving demonstration starting around noon.
Ice-cold pineapple juice will be served throughout the day on Sunday and there are plans to have musical entertainment from 2 to 4 p.m.
“We are celebrating with our Big Kahuna sale to kick off our remodel in July,” Mrs. Bamboo said. “When we began at our 712 Yorktown Avenue location sevn years ago, we never dreamed the business would expand with installation work the way it has over the past two years”
Bamboo Ben has been all over the country, (and possibly heading to Europe), creating "extreme makeovers" by turning old bar/restaurant establishments into the Hawaiiana feel of yesteryear.
Mrs. Bamboo noted that oddly enough, with the popularity of Hawaiiana and Polynesian pop swarming the beach communities of Southern California and beyond, the last two original tiki establishments in Orange County – Sam’s Seafood and the Royal Hawaiian – are gone. Underlying reasons yet unknown.
“We are excited about our remodel, which we feel will better serve our local clientele,” Mrs. Bamboo told me. “We are heading in the direction of offering more upscale furniture at a reasonable price along with continuing to offer our popular signature tiki bar; every bar unique, never the same, always original, signed by Bamboo Ben and all the furniture, artwork, small ‘must haves,’ and custom work our regulars and newcomers alike have grown to love.”
Bamboo Ben designs, creates and builds everything he caries in the store. No outside vendors are used and nothing is imported.
Until the fall season Bamboo Ben will keep public hours on Saturday and Sunday.
I love Ben’s work. The tiki bar that I used to use when I was playing at music at Dukes was a Bamboo Ben original custom make to fit my little corner out there on the Barefoot Bar patio.
And, sad to say, it is true that Sam’s Seafood has closed. I grew up with that big fish on the roof out my back bedroom window at night. Our house was right across PCH from there.
Right now the following "NOTICE" is posted on the side door ...
"Dear Friends and Customers, Sam’s Seafood is saddened to announce it’s closing as of June 5, 2006. Only only three owners have owned Sam’s over 88 years. Most likely, one of the few restaurants that can claim such a lengthy record. The present owners (July 1968 - June 2006) would like to personally thank all of our loyal customers, most sincere management team, devoted employees and dear, dear friends for all of your patronage and lengthy service.
We thank you so very, very much." Below which are listed: Carl Warren -- Sam Goldenberg -- Mert Wallen
Well that’s the up’s and downs in the local Hawaiiana world at the moment.
Corky Caroll is a three-time international and five-time United States surfing champion. Send
ideas to him by e-mail at

Hi Ben, terrfic stuff, hope to make it to the shop soon

Amy

Aloha Amy,

Thoughts are swirling through my head

for the "project"!!!

It'll be Arrrrsome!!!

On 2005-01-22 22:18, RevBambooBen wrote:
KING ART in his lair sipping "HIS BEER" from "HIS CHALICE."

lucky dog!

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2005-01-22 22:19 ]

[ Edited by: revbambooben on 2005-01-22 22:21 ]

RIP

ART the Dog!!!

My first child. My companion. My friend. My partner in crime. My drinking buddy.

Will miss you dearly.

You are in a better place now.

No pain. No suffering.

17 years.

17 great years.

You will never be replaced.

I'm so sorry ben, it looks like he was treated as a king.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 28, 2006 12:21 AM

R.I.P. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

He was a "good ol' dog", like his owner.

GROG

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-06-28 07:25 ]

B

How fortunate you are to have loved such a great cdog/companion. I'm sure you will miss him, but will never forget him. I'm sure you were the light of his life. Sorry to see him go. :(

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 28, 2006 4:58 AM

Nice work man. Sorry to hear about the little guy too...

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-06-28 05:00 ]

Sorry to hear that, Ben. Dogs are the best. They know damned near everything. They don't judge. And they're up for any kind of road trip, any time. Hang loose, brahddah.

Very sorry to hear about Art, your buddy is probably lapping a beer right now at the ol' tiki bar in the sky. I'm sure he couldn't have been more loved. Hang in there Ben.

brings a tear to my eye, ben. Loosing a dog is like loosing half your heart. RIP, art

Newer stuff.....

We're shipping now too :)

This one is big and has a rattan table on the inside that was from Sam's dumpster after they closed.

99.00 bar with chalkboard on front for "specials".

Will post more in da future.

Round tiki masks coming soon..

All one of a kind all the time....

B

Those are some pretty bright ideas. cool Stuff,other Ben..
BTW, I Loved the Pirate Lesson you finished. ARrrr

Cool, I was wondering when you were going to post an angular tiki since that's how you think and build, and cut your hair. Triangular man.
When we gonna see a triangular mug? get it done Boombammer.

You da man!

BigBamBoo...

Killer sconces and lamps... and I'm digging the outrigger! A new take on a classic item!

The wipe roll huts are a great idea too. :wink:

Keep on keepin on bruddah Ben...

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 14, 2006 1:28 PM

Welcome to Tiki Central Bamboo Ben.

That's some pretty impressive stuff for a newbie. Keep practicing, the more you do, the better you get. Check out Benzart and Basement Kahuna's threads for some inspiration. There's also a shop down in Whittier called Oceanic Arts, you should check them out, they do some pretty nice stuff similar to what you do. There's a guy who lives near me named Kirby, and I'm sure he'd be willing to give you a tip or two. And, just a warning, stay away from a guy called Crazy Al, because he truly is CRAZY.

Good luck with your art and keep posting.

GROG

K

On 2006-11-14 13:28, GROG wrote:

That's some pretty impressive stuff for a newbie. Keep practicing, the more you do, the better you get. Check out Benzart and Basement Kahuna's threads for some inspiration. There's also a shop down in Whittier called Oceanic Arts, you should check them out, they do some pretty nice stuff similar to what you do. There's a guy who lives near me named Kirby, and I'm sure he'd be willing to give you a tip or two. And, just a warning, stay away from a guy called Crazy Al, because he truly is CRAZY.

GROG

:lol:

On 2006-11-14 09:43, Benzart wrote:
Those are some pretty bright ideas. cool Stuff,other Ben..
BTW, I Loved the Pirate Lesson you finished. ARrrr

Arrrr!! Benz....

We do a round of lite's each year when they change the clocks. The rounder sconce types are kinda Kon Tiki Tucson-ish. Got permish to do full Kon Tiki Tucson repros and will have some soon.

Pirate lesson? Whutch chew talkin bout?

On 2006-11-14 10:46, Jungle Trader wrote:
Cool, I was wondering when you were going to post an angular tiki since that's how you think and build, and cut your hair. Triangular man.
When we gonna see a triangular mug? get it done Boombammer.

Arrr!!!

Cut my hair???

Arrr!!!

On 2006-11-14 10:57, Basement Kahuna wrote:
You da man!

Mahalos big boy!!

xoxoxoxo

On 2006-11-14 11:06, Lake Surfer wrote:
BigBamBoo...

Killer sconces and lamps... and I'm digging the outrigger! A new take on a classic item!

The wipe roll huts are a great idea too. :wink:

Keep on keepin on bruddah Ben...

Aloha Lake,

The outrigger is another Kon Tiki Tucson-ish item. The one I repaired for them was smaller. This one is like 5'.

The TP huts are so you can P*#P in Paradise.....

Arrr!!!

On 2006-11-14 13:30, kikekeki wrote:

On 2006-11-14 13:28, GROG wrote:

GROG

:lol:  

Keki and Grog......

Arrrr!!!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 14, 2006 9:10 PM

Can't p##p in Paradise. They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot.

Here are some traditionally, non traditonal tiki masks. Carved from Driftwood from the Cove...

E-Tiki....

.....phone home!!

B

Fasten your seatbelts folks, BambooBen is starting to carve tikis and masks. Now we gotta get busy to keep up!
Way to go "Other Ben", I Love your stuff, Especially the e-tiki and the mask just before it. :)

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.