Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

December 31 2004

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 221 replies

Update:

***Humphreys Half Moon Inn will NOT honor any group rates that weekend because it is deemed a busy holiday weekend.

She will draw up a contract to guarantee a specific number of rooms but the rate is $144 (My first quote was $169) per night. We could always elect to stay someplace else if cost is a burden. The suite scenario could also be fun (per Jabs recommendation) but would anyone actually sleep if 8 people were in the same room? Not sure.

They apparently frown severly on room parties unless all the attendees are hotel guests ?

*** Bali Hai- The Bali Hai DOES offer a New Years Eve celebration downstairs in the South Pacific Room. The banquet room is set up for the OLD School polynesian review and dinner (Yes !!) The details for this year have not been published yet but the estimated cost for dinner and show and New Years festivities is about $90 per person

*** Mr. Tiki- I am still awaiting a reply from Mr. Tiki in hopes that we could have some fun and merriment on Sunday night (01/01/06).

*** I was hoping that a water taxi or boat charter would take ALL of us across the bay from the Bali Hai dock to downtown San Diego where we could trudge over to Mr. Tiki.

Home Bar tours could always take place during the day time. I know that we have Tiki Boom Boom, Ona Tiki and Moki, Matt Reese in decent proximity to Shelter Island.

The Monkeyman South Pacific Room is also available for a tour but I am 30 miles North of Shelter Islan (maybe too far away).

I will keep you all posted.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2005-10-21 14:00 ]

[ Edited by: monkeyman 2005-10-21 15:10 ]

MT

Hey guys,
I'm going to check on room rates at the Orbit Inn at Palm Springs as well. Normally that place is fairly expensive, but my parents are really good friends with the owners, and I might be able to work something out, depending on their availability. They now have an overflow hotel as well, so maybe they can hook us up at one place or another.

No promises on this yet, and I'm not trying to derail any San Diego plans either, but if I can actually get anything worked out for the Orbit Inn, that would be THE place to stay! I'll get the ball rolling on this today or tomorrow, and keep everyone posted.

T

For something a bit cheaper then Humphrey's but with a Polynesian atmosphere, there's the Best Western Island Palms that is a short distance from Humphrey's (walkable). The cheapest rooms are $107 on the BW web site.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/productInfo.do?propertyCode=05326

Humphrey's is much better because they still have tikis and tiki torches, the pool area and inner gardens are gorgeous, and the rooms are quite nice, but the Island Palms could be an alternative hotel like the Bahia Cabana is to the Bahia Mar at Hukilau.

That's great about the Bali Hai room availability. Thanks for doing the work Monkeyman.

T

I've always wanted to stay at the the Orbit Inn. That would be fabulous if we all stayed there! Or San Diego.

On 2005-10-21 13:47, Monkeyman wrote:
Update:

***Humphreys Half Moon Inn will NOT honor any group rates that weekend because it is deemed a busy holiday weekend.

She will draw up a contract to guarantee a specific number of rooms but the rate is $144 (My first quote was $169) per night. We could always elect to stay someplace else if cost is a burden. The suite scenario could also be fun (per Jabs recommendation) but would anyone actually sleep if 8 people were in the same room? Not sure.

They apparently frown severly on room parties unless all the attendees are hotel guests...

... or try the shelter pointe resort, due west of humphrey's & bali hai... large private beach & fire pits - tolerate parties - sleep on the beach... some tcer might be a kona kai member - members get discounted individual and group rates...

M

Great ideas eveyone!

Definitely count us in if this happens anywhere in San Diego! I'd be happy to help out anyway needed in SD.

Palm Springs might be a bit more difficult for us to make. Can't commit to that at this point.

ModMana :drink:

$144 is actually a really good rate for Humphrey's. I think rooms there are usually $200 and up.

In San Diego there is also the Hanalei (Mission Valley) and the Catamaran Resort (Pacific Beach). Neither is anywhere close to Shelter Island, but both have the appropriate tiki/island feel. (The Hanalei in particular--even though it's lost quite a bit of its tiki in recent years, it's still a must-see. It's also centrally located and would be a good jumping-off point for any home bar touring, trips downtown, etc.)

Just throwing a little more long pig into the stew pot ...

M

If we do San Diego instead of The Caliente, I think it would be best to stay within walking distance of the Bali Hai.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.