Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

December 31 2004

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 221 replies

On 2004-12-27 11:26, CaseyJPS wrote:
Before you all go any further about Banducci's. They have closed, permanently.

We come in Peace. ACK! ACK! BZZZZT!!!(sound of ray guns demolishing Banducci's)>

M
mig posted on Mon, Dec 27, 2004 12:07 PM

On 2004-12-27 11:26, CaseyJPS wrote:
Before you all go any further about Banducci's. They have closed, permanently.

(said in the style of Rambo) NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hard to believe Banducci's is closed. It had been around for a long time, no?

M

Where shall we go for all-night senior citizen piano bar sing along?

M

On 2004-12-22 15:31, weirduncletiki wrote:
Okay, I've got my tux pressed. -Weird Unc

I'M PLANning on wearing a tux style outfit, too!!

M

On 2004-12-27 17:07, martiki wrote:
Where shall we go for all-night senior citizen piano bar sing along?

Just surround Mr Smiley--Dangergirl calls me a Senior Citizen. And the guy at the taco shop calls me a Senor* Citizen!!!

• Note of Disclaimer--the "Senor" comment was meant solely as an attempt at humor and in no ways is meant to offend anyone, especially those British members!
C

OK. So is it Senior Pico or Senor Pico?

M

On 2004-12-27 17:36, mrsmiley wrote:

On 2004-12-22 15:31, weirduncletiki wrote:
Okay, I've got my tux pressed. -Weird Unc

I'M PLANning on wearing a tux style outfit, too!!

Uh-Oh

This Sunday is the last day for Miles Thompson's solo exhibit at the M Modern Gallery. I was thinking of checking that out while we're in town. Anyone wanna join me?

http://www.mmoderngallery.com

M
mig posted on Tue, Dec 28, 2004 11:56 AM

On 2004-12-27 16:33, floratina wrote:
Hard to believe Banducci's is closed. It had been around for a long time, no?

Maybe that Howard Dean-looking guy sang "Proud to Be an American" one too many times.

There's GOT to be a place there where the Senor* citizens now gather to sing.

A

Shelley, here. I'm bummed about Banducci's.

I really want to make a reservation somewhere for dinner onNew Year's Eve, just to get a good meal in before going back to party at the Tropics.

Al and I went to the Ichiban that is just down the road from the CT and it was excellent! They were even making mojitos that were really good.

Is anyone in for getting together and reserving a tepanyaki table or a table anywhere else? I'll call and try to get a reservation for 6-10 or so, if anyone else is interested.

Check in. Mahalo, Shelley

O

We agree that a meal would be good before returning to the party. Count us in for two where ever we end up.
Mahalo Shelly!
Moki & Ric

Shelley,
Please include Lizette and I in your reservation. We've eaten at Ichiban before and thought it was great too.

A

I just called the Ichibahn in PS and reserved a tepanyaki table for 7:00. The table can accomodate up to 14 people, so if any more of you want in, just let me know.

I will stay in touch with the restaurant and let them know if the number needs to be adusted.

Mahalo,
Shelley

H

I'd love to join you for dinner!

Hi Shelley,
Please add me and Krustiki to the dinner reservation too!

M
mig posted on Tue, Dec 28, 2004 8:00 PM

And also Mig +3! We will fill that table in short order.

Oh-- one of the three is a veggie tale. Is there stuff for her as well?

I could use a mojito right now.
I haven't been to Palm Springs since the eighties for Spring breaks. I probably won't even recognize it.
I'll take your advice Shelley. Add me to the dinner list please.

A&S, me and my gang (N&D) all love Japanese food and would love to join in.

Naomi just reminded me of what an absurdity it indeed is that in the two towns that are the epitome of lounge culture, Palm Springs and Las Vegas, there are no authentic, unchanged 50s/60s lounges left...(same like Tiki Bars in Waikiki I guess (x-ept La Marianas of course))

That in Palm Springs, which to me is Midcentury Modern Central, not one oldtimer bar has survived is unbelievable.
There is THE REEF of course.

Thanks for getting back so soon, peeps. We are at 18 people now so I will call and see about arranging for a 2nd table. I'll keep you posted with any details.

The restaurant says to plan on arriving around 6:30, as of course, New Years is busy and they don't want us to have to wait, or give up the table. The Ichiban is only a mile or two from the Caliente Tropics, as you head south, or away from downtown Palm Springs.
Mahalo,
Shelley

[ Edited by: Alnshely on 2004-12-28 22:13 ]

What nights are everyone going out there? Thursday/Friday or Friday Saturday? Plans have changed and I am seriously considering heading out that way. I was thinking Thursday/Friday.

O

I think most are going Friday/Saturday as Friday is New Year's Eve. But earlier in the thread someone was going earlier in the week.

See you there.
:drink:

P

Well, New Years Eve for sure, but ya gotta stay TWO nights, so which two nights? Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday or Thursday/Friday?

I think a few of us including myself will be at Tiki-Ti on Thursday night. As such, I booked CT for Friday/Saturday night.

We're staying Friday night and Saturday night, because we didn't want to have to get up early to check out on the 1st.

Dangergirl and I are staying Friday and Saturday nights.

Casey-are us Tiki cENTRAL FOLKS All getting placed in one section of your hotel?

Ps- No pet room for us, please. thanks :)

M

Since Banducci's is gone, are there any other good/interesting places in or near Palm Springs?

T

Since Banducci's is closed, you may want to check out the classic (as in 1970s classic!) piano bar at the Ingleside Inn (called the Casablanca bar).

More info:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=377&forum=4&vpost=2514

C

Lyons' English Grille, one block from the Resort, is an iconic holdover from the 60s, with piano in the bar.

Casablanca will be considerably busy, very hoity toidy, and pricey. It is not a large venue. I believe you will probably have to valet park as well.

I really want to stress that you need to make a detour, or a stop, at The Parker. It is a finite interpretation of 60s and 70s decor. It is still "in progress" but is worth even a ten minute stop. Mr. Parker's bar and restaurant will open 12/31 and the lobby bar (retro 70s) is now open. The lobby lounge is very cool (with a circular fire pit/fireplace, and you'll think you're in Auntie Mame's house (during her avante garde period) when you enter the lobby.

If you need any more ideas, just ask (we live here).

T

Old restaurants are rare as hen's teeth in Palm Springs. The Lord Fletcher is 38 years old and decorated in olde english atmosphere. Good prime rib and not super expensive. It's in Rancho Mirage.

http://www.desertdiningguide.com/restaurants/lordfletcher/index.html

Lyon's is a similar theme but "recently redecorated". Ugh.

http://www.desertdiningguide.com/restaurants/lyons/index.html

Try Las Casuelas for Mexican food, but go to the original location if you can at 368 N Palm Canyon Dr (there are 3 or 4 locations). Try the Chile Rellenos or the Camarones Diablo.

Another good Mexican place is El Gallito in Cathedral City. Recommended by Jane and Michael Stern. I remember having great carnitas there that I think are only served on Thursdays.

http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=454

And try and see Shield's Date Gardens in Indio if you have time.

http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=394

T

On 2004-12-29 14:34, CaseyJPS wrote:
Casablanca will be considerably busy, very hoity toidy, and pricey. It is not a large venue. I believe you will probably have to valet park as well.

I just walked there from downtown to avoid valet parking. It is pricey and somewhat hoity toity but the lounge singer / piano player was worth it (this was about 5 years ago though so things may have changed).

M
Moki posted on Wed, Dec 29, 2004 3:55 PM

I'm planning on bringing a LARGE batch of kaluha pork, mac salad & rice for plate lunch on Saturday. I'll set it up on the patio of the Reef.
Aloha!

edit for spelling :wink:

[ Edited by: moki on 2004-12-29 21:27 ]

M

On 2004-12-29 14:34, CaseyJPS wrote:

I really want to stress that you need to make a detour, or a stop, at The Parker. It is a finite interpretation of 60s and 70s decor. It is still "in progress" but is worth even a ten minute stop. Mr. Parker's bar and restaurant will open 12/31 and the lobby bar (retro 70s) is now open. The lobby lounge is very cool (with a circular fire pit/fireplace, and you'll think you're in Auntie Mame's house (during her avante garde period) when you enter the lobby.

If you need any more ideas, just ask (we live here).

Thanks, Casey---Is this the Parker you are speaking of?
Le Parker Meridien Palm Spring

Address: 4200 E Palm Canyon Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92264
Phone: 760-770-5000
--Smiley

P

OK, I am booked for Friday and Saturday. This should be fun, but I guess it means that I won't be going to Purple Orchid.

H

I'm in for Friday & Saturday, for all the reasons mentioned above. Yay for not driving around drunk people on NYE! This is going to be incredibly fun.

H

OH MY GOD I AM SO EFFING EXCITED FOR THIS WEEKEND!

I just picked up a bunch of party hats & noisemakers, and some decoratin' stuff. Not sure what'll get decorated yet, but I'm armed & ready.

M

On 2004-12-30 17:13, Humuhumu wrote:
OH MY GOD I AM SO EFFING EXCITED FOR THIS WEEKEND!

I just picked up a bunch of party hats & noisemakers, and some decoratin' stuff. Not sure what'll get decorated yet, but I'm armed & ready.

I went to the janitorial supply store and got party hats, too! :)

C

Yes, that would be the Parker Palm Springs, MrSmiley.

[ Edited by: CaseyJPS on 2004-12-30 17:55 ]

C

THE MAIKAI GENTS will be performing on Friday and Saturday in The REEF (in an abbreviated format) !

M

On 2004-12-30 17:56, CaseyJPS wrote:
THE MAIKAI GENTS will be performing on Friday and Saturday in The REEF (in an abbreviated format) !

The "Mysterious Mauna Loa " isn't able to perform so "Mr 'In-Your-Face' Smiley" will fill in instead. :)

On 2004-12-30 18:02, mrsmiley wrote:

On 2004-12-30 17:56, CaseyJPS wrote:

The "Mysterious Mauna Loa " isn't able to perform so "Mr 'In-Your-Face' Smiley" will fill in instead. :)

If Mr. Smiley's in his grass skirt and coconut bra... I implore you all to KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE HANDS! See you all at The Reef. And, by the way, The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa may need a break now and then, so get ready Mr. Smiley!

-I. Grogg

Hey Casey,
Krustiki and I desperately need copious amounts of coffee when we wake up. Will there be a coffee pot in the room? (We can bring our own if necessary) Thanks!

A

I hope everyone has a GREAT and safe New Years at the Tropics. Husband and I spent two great (rainy! but great...) nights there, even took a few dips in the pool under cover of cloud.
This was our first visit and it's all I've heard and MORE. What a great property!

Here's me after a couple o' drinks at The Reef. Hoping this isn't a fertility idol...

[ Edited by: annalulu on 2004-12-30 21:39 ]

Investigative journalist sneaks into TC New Year's Eve party at Caliente Tropics, gets big story:

Have fun, kids. You only get one turn around the racetrack.

Caliente Rocks!
Another first for me.
Looking forward to Oasis.
Thanks Casey.

K

I have no recollection of anything that did or did not transpire. But where did that white fur in my teeth come from? I deny it all.

Hey Hey Kids!

[ Edited by: Krustiki on 2005-01-02 14:31 ]

F

Satan's Sin, all that is missing from that image is the giant stuffed bear. This leg of the "trip around the racetrack" left many temporily hobbled, but boy you should have seen the smiles on their faces.

Put out an APB on the bear. He went AWOL sometime last night. We need him for Oasis.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 221 replies