Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

December 31 2004

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 221 replies

F

I didn't bring a camera, but there are pictures out there. There may be a slight delay in their posting. They need to be vetted...

Casey, I am so glad that you came up with the idea to have a TC New Year's party at the beautiful Caliente Tropics. The Caliente staff was terrific as usual. I have never seen the Tahitian Lanai look so luxuriously verdant, btw.

Ona and Moki made the yummiest plate lunch. It rescued me after the self-inflicted damage of Friday night/Saturday morning. Al and Shelley provided their great mai tais and atmosphere for our enjoyment. When complaints by the "normals" next door to them who had the misfortune to be placed in the TC wing of Caliente complained, a new legend was born next door in when we moved to Humu and Futura Girl's Room 209. The mayhem finally ceased around 5 AM.

The entertainment included the great musical stylings of the talented Iuka Grogg, The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa and King Kukulele as well as the wildly rambunctious antics of the Tiki Central membership. I've laughed so hard this weekend! Since I got home, I have been going about my business, unpacking and tidying the home and I will remember something that one or another of you did or said and I just start guffawing out loud.

Thanks everyone for a great weekend.

[ Edited by: on 2005-01-02 17:18 ]

M

I had a great great time. Thanks to all who attended and helped make it so much fun. It was like a wintertime miniature Tiki Oasis.

Moki and Ona Tiki were most generous and fed almost All of us a delicious plate lunch on Saturday. Of course many libations were prepared by regular hosts Alnshely. Wonderful and intimate entertainment provided by Iuka Grog with cameo appearances by King Kukulele. Mystery appearance by Hanford Lemoore.

I was busy video taping the New Years festivities so I don't have any photos of the drunken mele. I did snap a few photos of the scenery and our Tiki Central Miniature Golf Championship.

Although it was overcast on Friday, Saturday was beautiful. Check out the Moon, Snow Covered Mountain, and Palm Trees set against a crystal clear sky.

As you wearily arrive from a day of hard driving to the Caliente Tropics, you are greeted by helpful seasonal staff shown here. Here they exhibit the Official Caliente Tropics, Tiki Salute.

This is not a joke. Martiki,Mr. Smiley, and Unga Bunga all played in the same foursome with the same color ball. "Which Ball is yours? Why the closest one of course"

Moki and Shely guard the entrance to the 19th hole. With an estimated temperature outside of 50 degrees, a bit of rum would have made a huge difference in the warmth of our hands.

Unhappy with her golf score, Floratina decides to take it out on Al.

Here is Pi Phi Rho (With Iuka Grog and the Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa looking on) sinking a put and rightfully earning himself the unofficial title of Tiki Central Miniature Golf Champ. He managed to beat out Martiki, Monkeyman, and Shely (runners up) with a low score of 6!!!!! UNDER par.

Mr.Smiley Laying Down the Law on the Air Hockey Table.

All will cower in the presence of the tiki god of barf.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2005-01-02 20:59 ]

O

OL

I can’t remember the last time I’ve laughed so much. I think it started with the rambunctious Al impersonating the Japanese chef at Ichiban’s. Shelley was fabulously lovely in her shiny dress. I hope someone took a picture of Martiki with his disco-ball earrings. Later on in Humuhumu’s room we had the sandwich session (we won’t list any names), then “$%@# the bear”, and I will never forget Humu using her feet to take photos. She is truly talented and amazing.

I want to thank all the generous people who came, including Al & Shelley for the drinks, Moki for the Hawaiian plate lunch, and Monkeyman for the pizza. The entertainment provided by Iuka Grogg and the Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa was delightful, and King Kukulele did the official wacky count-down to midnight.

The Caliente Tropics is a wonderful venue for a New Years Eve party. The atmosphere and the staff are great, the Jacuzzi was hot and the pool was warm. Let’s do this again next year!

TB

So you think this was funny.
So you thought I would take this lying down?(Well, I guess I did physically).
So you think I’m the butt of your jokes? (Don’t answer that)
Well guess again Tiki Bear Bangers!
This bear don’t take “getting stuffed” lightly
Oh! You didn’t think that I might have some friends that would come to my aid.
Well, Guess Again!!
This coming Oasis, your ass is mine!
I’m just going to leave you with a few images of my “friends” to ponder with until the upcoming Oasis, and don’t be surprised if you see us waiting for you, outside your window at the Tropics.
Revenge!!!………………Revenge!!!………………

[ Edited by: martiki on 2005-01-03 13:25 ]

K

Your lips said no,no,no but your eyes said yes, yes, yes

Monkeyman: "I want to get a picture of you guys. No, Tina hold up your club like you're going to hit Al." Second, I took full responsibility for my horrible golf score. I just got bamboozled by the Media!

O

M

All pictures of martiki from this weekend are photoshop fakes.

M

Floratina,

No need to worry, I did not have a clue as to what your actual golf score was (perhaps you beat all of us). It was simply a caption that seemed appropriate for an obviously staged photo. Your performance was wahndurful dahling.

M

Casey announced that "New Years at the Tropics" should be a new tradition--and I think it should be a new reality TV show on the Playboy channel (bear included)!!

Dangergril and I had a blast!!!! Thanks for the great idea, Casey.

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2005-01-03 11:41 ]

I heard that the big white bear is a filthy liar!

I thought I was having "relations" new years eve with the big hairy bear like the rest of you, but it turned out to be big hairy Mr. Smiley!

H

Hey all -- I'm working on the pics, but it's pretty slow going... the fotki servers are all wonky, likely because everyone and their uncle are uploading holiday pics right now. But lemme tell ya... there are some doozys!

I had a fantastic time, whoda thunk I would have kicked off the new year by exploring my inner plushy and learning my toes' hidden talents. 2005 is sure to be a year of discovery!

Thanks are due in many directions... Casey first and foremost not only for extending such an incredibly generous offer to us, but by not even flinching at our encrusting the Reef Bar with heretofore inconceivable amounts of insidious confetti. Thanks are due also to Al & Shelley, for both organizing a perfect dinner to kick off the evening, and for later hosting the afterparty. And huge, huge mahalos to Moki for fighting against nature and being up at an ungodly hour New Year's Day to prepare the most delicious Kalua Pork plate lunch extravaganza for us... it was just what our bellies needed.

More to come later as I get out from under this mountain of pictures...

C

Happy New Year!

I finally got an opportunity to revisit Tiki Central (I think my last reponse was page 6). Thank you for joining us for what we hope will become an annual event. We appreciate the business.

H

Here's the deal with my pictures from this weekend... I simply cannot bring myself to select which photos to link directly here on TC... I guess I'm having motherly feelings and just can't pick favorites. I invite anyone who'd like to pull out their own favorites to share with everyone to do so. In the meantime, I'm going to provide a link to the albums, with a quick summary of the contents.

Alright, round one of the pictures:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/nye2005/preparty/

These are pictures from our dinner at Ichiban (locations in Minneapolis, Reno, Winnepeg, and Palm Springs!). Highlights include Al-san providing a stirring and health-code violating cooking demonstration, Sven pointing out what a NOT-TIKI MUG looks like, seemingly every possible sort of alcohol on the table, magic and wine demonstrations from Weird Unc, and the realization that the back of a Buddha NOT-TIKI MUG looks kinda like the Grim Reaper.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 15:35 ]

What a great weekend!

Thank you Casey for "hooking us up" with such a great deal. Thanks Al & Shelley for the great drinks. Thanks Weird Unc and the Mysterious Miss M for the great entertainment and Thanks Moki & OnaTiki for the great grub.

I see a New Years Tradition just beginning. Hopefully, the bear will find its way back next year....

M
mig posted on Mon, Jan 3, 2005 5:42 PM

Hey "Tiki Bare"-- where are you posting from?!? Because you disappeared from Caliente Tropics sometime late Saturday night! I was worried we might not see you again, but it sounds like you are continuing on your path of debaucherous destruction.

(Note to self: go get tested.)

I can't wait to do this again next year and ruin even more political careers. I have a ton of pictures and I am accepting donations to guarantee that certain ones will NOT be posted.

Thanks due all around to many-- Moki for the delicious pig, Casey for general greatness, Al & Shelley for gracious hosting and mixing... KK, Iuka, & MMML for entertainment... Floratina for the wardrobe malfunction... Monkeyman for pizza (I kicked in some $ to him, if you didn't then you owe him a drink at Oasis.) My parents love you all, and I'm glad you guys got to meet Farrah (the aforementioned foxxxy gf).

REASONS WHY I WILL DO THIS AGAIN NEXT YEAR:
--weather was great!
--mountains had snow!
--It was like a family reunion.
--It was like a mini-Oasis, but with no actual schedule... so you could just hang out. No wristband checks!
--All told, it cost LESS than New Year's Eve out on the town with high cover charges, parking fees, annoying wait lines at the bar, crappy cover band, etc. AND it was far more enjoyable!
--I'd rather give that $$ to Caliente Tropics anyway, and support our people!
--You could drink all you want and not have to worry about driving home.
--Exposure to drunk drivers on the road was limited to: can I cross the parking lot and get to my room?
--Pool! Hot tub!
--Fabulous CT staff!
--Miniature golf and go-karts! (sorry we were late and had to play on our own)
--Clouds and clouds of metallic confetti. Although I did not experience this personally, reports of "glittery poop" did surface. Okay, so this might not actually be a "reason to do it again."

And of course, EVERYBODY got some action. If not from a significant other, then from the BEAR.

Oops, I'd better go make an appointment.

mig.

[ Edited by: mig on 2005-01-03 17:46 ]

All pictures of futura girl from this weekend are photoshop fakes.

H

On 2005-01-03 01:17, martiki wrote:
All pictures of martiki from this weekend are photoshop fakes.

On 2005-01-03 17:59, Futura Girl wrote:
All pictures of futura girl from this weekend are photoshop fakes.

And I am the #1 Super Photoshop Genius of the Universe.

M

But seriously...I want to echo the many of the same thanks- Casey for the generous offer and the whole staff at CTR for being extra nice and patient. Thanks to Al & Shelly for hosting a fine party, and HH&MM for taking over the duties later, including Saturday, when their room alone did a fine job as well. Moki & OnaTiki for the killer plate lunch- just what the doctor ordered. The Mai Kai Gent, TMMML, KK, and Ona all provided great entertainment, with bonus trumpet solo from Mrs. Miley. Great to meet a few new (to me) faces and an all around blast.

I can confirm that glitter poop is very, very real. And as far as I'm concerned, it should become a regular TC tradition alongside blue pancakes and green eggs.

A great time for sure. Do your worst with the pictures: I have no shame! (As the pictures will clearly illustrate)

Also- whoever has the video footage- I didn't get to see it- please post. (i think...)

H

On 2005-01-03 18:05, martiki wrote:
I have no shame!

No shame... and very, very raw knees.

On 2005-01-03 18:05, martiki wrote:
Also- whoever has the video footage- I didn't get to see it- please post. (i think...)

Damnit- this was one of the all time best videos I've ever seen - a classic for sure...

H

NYE pictures, round 2:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/nye2005/party/

These are pictures from the countdown at the Reef Bar... the most magical moment for me was when Sven's son proved himself to be one of the cool kids... you see, Mig had discovered a massive white bear sitting in the street in Hollywood the night before, and we'd had quite a good time abusing it (check out pics of that here). Mig naturally brought the bear to Palm Springs for further maltreatment, but at this point in the evening it was still sitting in the back of his pickup truck, waiting for us to pull it out later. But, into the Reef Bar walks Diego with the giant bear at just the right moment. As far as I know, he didn't know that this bear was ours, and he definitely was not directed by Mig to go get it. I hesitate to say that he pilfered it from the truck, I'm sure he knew that it was one of ours... but the thing is, this kid knew it was time. That this bear was destined for gruesome things, and it was Diego's purpose in life to deliver this bear to its doom. Diego, we salute you!

Again, please feel free to pull any of these photos out for posting here.

Critiki - Hundreds of tiki bars, Polynesian restaurants, and other sites of interest to the tiki traveller, collector or urban archaeologist

[ Edited by: Humuhumu on 2005-01-03 18:25 ]

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 15:34 ]

O

Wow!! What a weekend!!

Thanks to everyone who made the trek to the Caliente Tropics and a super big mahalo to Casey for the wonderful offer that got the ball rolling.

More mahalos to Al & Shelly wonderful hosts as always, Iuka Grog, MMML, King Kuke for the wonderful entertainment, MonkeyMan & family for the great pizza once Moki returned to the land of the living (my wife was a zombie Saturday morning) and to all the new friends I met. And let us not forget Tiki Bare who kept me laughing for at least four hours! Can't wait to see the video :lol:

We will be posting pictures once they have passed all security clearances.

Until we meet again..... :drink:

ps. Good point Mig, maybe we all need to get tested.

H

NYE pictures, round 3:

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/nye2005/afterparty/

The afterparty hosted by the always-fabulous and Aloha-Stuft Al & Shelley, featuring a Very Special Celebrity Guest Cameo Appearance by none other than:

MARTIN JOHN!!!

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 15:32 ]

MARTIN JOHN!!!
:music: Don't let the mai tai, go down on me! :music:

And I thought this was Martin's sister.
Glad I didn't make that pass, that I was thinkin about.

Casey, put me name on the list for next year!

M

I just wanted to point out the glitter in my glass that led to the aforementioned problems.

Aloha, Gang!

Wow, what a wingding! It was super-fab to hang with such a fine group at such a swell joint! Thanks, EVERYONE! Here are some photos:

Iuka Grogg and The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa on New Year's Eve in The Reef.

This is one of Humu's photos, but I just had to post it as it shows one of the highlights of the trip... Mr. Smiley tooting Auld Lang Syne just after midnight. Ona Tiki is back there somewhere on bongos.

The post-midnight party turns serious as King Kukulele, Pi Phi Rho and Krustiki are found in deep contemplative discussion.

A daper sot!

Goodness knows what these two are photographing!?!?!

Goodness has nothing to do with this photo.

The first-annual Tiki Central New Year's Day Shuffleboard Tournament(Weird Unc and Floratina squeaked by the formidable Monkeyman/Martiki team).

I do hope this becomes a new tradition. I'd love to see such good times repeated. (I'd not love to see Joey Buttafuoco at Elmer's Pancake House again, though.)

-Weird Unc

Yup, this weekend proved that New Years CAN be fun when spent with family and friends ...away from home. Very informal, I felt I did not have to "represent".

Humu, it was me who told Diego to take the bear into the reef, he looked so sad out alone in the truck (the bear, not Diego), like that "No dogs allowed" sign that reads "We have to stay outside!"

But Naomi didn't know it was "ours" and got all concerned that it was being plastered with glitter and stuff (luckily we were not witness to the later, unspeakable improprieties), and that night she had funny dreams with Elton John in it (sans bear), clearly induced by the visual of Martin John at Al's bar (I mean room).

Thanks for the wine tasting and magic at Ichiban, weirdunc, and Al and Shelly for the hospitality at Al's bar, and yes, the bartender at the reef was really good, too. T'was nice to see Hanford in person, which only seems to happen every couple of years to me. Hope y'all enjoyed your mini-BOT.

The spirit of room 135 is alive and well on TC!

M
M

Weird Unc is too kind: He and Tina PLASTERED us at shuffleboard.

O

Finally had a chance to upload our pics to Shutterfly. Here's the link to view some of the antics of the wonderful weekend.

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAN2TFw4aMWzCrg

H

Here they are... the pictures you've really been waiting for... the subjects of these pictures (myself included, sadly) will be haunted by this record of the evening forever. Without further ado:

Round Four: The Afterafterparty

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/nye2005/afterafterparty/

After a noise complaint shut down Al & Shelley's room, the party just moved one door away from the complaint source, to my room. That's where things went totally apeshit. Or, if you will allow me, bearshit. Inside, you will find pictures of the bear being stomped on, beaten, and ridden (in more ways than one); you will also find a rather jovial Hanford with a harem, being spanked, and finally, once spent from the evening's events, requiring service ("please"); and of course there is a rather silly amount of dancing on the bed.

Of special note: pictures 31-32, 38-42 and 45-47 I took using my toes. Really. There were four more like that, but one of the subjects in those photos asked me to not post any pictures of them. Martiki has pointed out that apparently I take better pictures with my feet than with my hands.

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2005-09-23 15:30 ]

M

Martiki, Mrs.martiki, Dangergirl and I went to Lyon's English Grill for dinner New Years Eve even though it was supposedly recently renovated. Having never been there before any changes seem to be minor. It still has an old feel to it-with a piano player in the lounge starting at 8:00 pm thaT NIGHT. The food was fine -nothing too great- I have had better steaks at Taylors in LA and The Golden Steer (must go!) in Las Vegas.
We did check out the recently opened Parker Hotel, restaurant, lounge on the evening of January 1st. Pretty cool! We didn't eat at the restaurant , but the prices seemed resonable enough for a "fancy" restaurant. Average entree in the $20-28 range. There are some pictures of us in the lounge seating area in my shutterfly link. It was a nice relaxing way to (not quite) end the evening after a rousing round of miniature golf-including a few "holes-in-one" in our group.
After minuature golf, our carload decided to look for a dive bar for a cocktail or two before heading back to the Tropics. As we headed away from the Tropics with no success in our quest, we were in the process of turning around when Martiki and I heard a car's tires screeching as it tried to break. What we saw next was quite spectacular!! Martiki and I saw a car on the other side of the street drive off the street and over the sidewalk, through a fire hydrant (causing a gusher the size of Old Faithful), up a grass embankment in front of a car dealership , go airborn about ten feet in the air and then it came wheels down down on top of five new cars. SMASH!!! People were running from everywhere to help the occupant of the new "Aero-car". Hopefully the occupant would be ok.
As we hadn't seen the cause of the wreck, we decided not to add to the throng of people gathered and continued down the road in our quest for a divebar. Off the road a neon sign glowed "Ground Zero" we cautiously peeked in and noticed that no women had showed up yet at this bar! (What is a single guy{not me} in Palm Springs to do?!). In the bar we got our picture snapped by a friendly gent from "inthepix.com" the picture should be up any day now.
We left the bar-went to the Parker, (see above) , left the Parker and saw "The Cowboy" drive by us in his white truck with a six foot tall bronze statue of a cowboy riding a bucking bronco! Holy Remington, Batman!! "Follow the horse", we commanded Dangergirl and went into the Vons parking lot and watched as "The Cowboy" got out of his truck wearing a white cowboy hat, a neatly trimmed white beard, fancy tan, and lots of ARIZONA BLING!!! This "cowboy" had large turquoise earrings and BOTH ears, enough turquoise and silver necklaces to make MR T feel inadequate. One of the necklaces was a DREAMCATCHER!!
As we were shopping for snacks, Arizona Bling Man and us keep crossing paths and Martiki and I kept giggling like drunken schoolgirls at this awesomely tacky site. We snapped a quick, dark pic of me next to the statue (maybe Martiki can post it) before we headed off the the Tropics while singing "Happy Trails"!

MG

Wish I could have been there.... I tried. My begging didn't work this time. Next year MEAN GENE will take charge.

By the way.... did any drunken skinny dipping take place?

http://www.fallingcocos.com

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE on 2005-01-06 15:35 ]

MT

Awww mannnn! I was in Palm Springs while you guys were at the Caliente Tropics! In fact, I was right around the corner!!! I wish I would have known. I didn't bring my laptop with me, and had left for Palm Springs about the time this thread started gaining momentum. Maria and I ended up ringing in the New Year in the ol' hot tub at the condo complex we were staying in. Pretty quiet there other than for us. To know such tiki merriment and fun was right within our reach, yet elusive. Oh, the irony!

So far the tiki gods haven't been smiling on me for 2005. I miss the shindig in Palm Springs, and also miss out on the Pele Mugs at Disneyland on my way home. Oh Tiki Gods, how have I offended you, and how can I make amends?

T

.....Hey!.....Where'd everybody go?.....I'm sorry I got mad......I can play nice......I'm lonely.......Come back!......

M

I miss you too, bear. Oh so very much.

Here's the giant cowboy mrsmiley was refering to- kind of hard to make out, but I think you get the idea. I wish we had a picture of the driver. Holy moley.

Ha Ha, I can see it now, the Tiki geeks (with their giant carvings) pointing at the flashy cowboy geek and it's giant statue and chuckling, and the cowboy geeks pointing fingers at us (in loud Aloha shirts) and chuckling "..they are sooo strange!"

Rhinestone cowboys are the Tikiphiles of Country and Western style!

M

"

On 2005-01-07 11:10, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ha Ha, I can see it now, the Tiki geeks (with their giant carvings) pointing at the flashy cowboy geek and it's giant statue and chuckling, and the cowboy geeks pointing fingers at us (in loud Aloha shirts) and chuckling "..they are sooo strange!"

"

Whos you callin' a geek, par'dner? Thems is fightin' words!! As soon as ah finish my Mai-Tai ah will git off this bar stool and ask you to step outside!!!! :wink:

M

On 2005-01-07 11:10, bigbrotiki wrote:

yes, the irony was not lost on me even in my semi-drunken haze.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.