Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

December 31 2004

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 221 replies

H

This has been on my calendar since January 1. Count us in!

I sent them an e-mail a few months ago asking if they were going to do a special rate for the TC folks this New Year's, and I just received this response on Monday:

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply, but we just aren't sure if the New Year's bash is going to happen. Keep in touch, Stan Yoshimura, Assistant Manager. [email protected]

Has anyone else made contact with the new management to express an interest?

If it is going happen this year count The Whale Rider and I in!!!

who coordinated the event last year? can they coordinate it again this year?

I feel asleep before I had a chance to soil the Bare like the rest of you...

M

regular rooms for that weekend are currently listed at $139 and suites are $149 (that's a no-brainer).

how much of a discount did we get last year?

Its not just the discount (although that would be nice). We need to make sure the management is OK with very noisy room parties that last all night. Hopefully they can arrange to have one section set aside just for Tiki Central.

H

Good point -- last year it was more about the company, and the carte blanche to goof off, than the discount. The hotel was pretty empty last year, and Casey took care to put us together so there was plenty of buffer and we (hopefully!) didn't disturb any other guests.

Of course, this has to happen this year without Casey's involvement, but ideally the hotel management would see the benefit in having a lot of paying customers on a weekend where otherwise they may have very few, and would work with us to block us off so we wouldn't disturb others. (Who's trying to sleep at midnight on New Year's Eve, anyhow?)

The thing is, many of the attendees from last year are longtime Caliente Tropics customers; the majority of us have spent time at the Caliente not just during the Oasis event, but for our own personal vacations, as well. I'm sad that Casey's relationship with the Caliente has soured, but that doesn't impact my interest in supporting tiki where I find it. I would hope that the hotel would continue to be supportive of our desires to support them.

well, I wouldn't say ALL of us want to have a room in a "noisy" section. some of us old folks just can't party til dawn any more like you crazy young uns...

too bad there can't be "noisy party" wings and "quiet old fart" wings of every hotel...

Hmmm.

Well, if the management of the Caliente decide not to be (CENSORED)...uh, major potato-butts this New Year's, I think we might just have to go.

In other news...this picture:

would appear to be a still from that wonderful classic film "Monsieur Hulot's Tiki Holiday." (starring Jacques "Martiki" Tatiki and the estimable M. Hanford LeMoore.)

You know...it might just drag me out to Cali this year. Me and Nikki will talk to you guys about it at Hukilau.. And doesn't Casey owe me 23 bucks? :wink:

WooHooo! Soccer Tiki and I are there!!! :)

On 2005-09-22 20:27, dangergirl299 wrote:
well, I wouldn't say ALL of us want to have a room in a "noisy" section. some of us old folks just can't party til dawn any more like you crazy young uns...

too bad there can't be "noisy party" wings and "quiet old fart" wings of every hotel...

I'll drink to that!! :)

I guess I should go get tested too.

K

Old Fart's Area? What the .... ? Thats why on the second day of creation the great tiki in the sky created ear plugs.
I will bring a case...of ear plugs for the geriatric central members. This old fart is more worried about the hangover. I did not see the light of day until 4 pm New Years Day, I hurt more than Tiki Bares hind quarters. I missed the free lunch. But I wouldn't miss doing it all over again.

Hey Hey Kids!

[ Edited by: Krustiki 2005-09-23 13:12 ]

Gosh, I guess I'm just mystified why hotel management would be so reluctant to host TC events when so many folks exhibit the easy to swallow attitude of "hey, we're going to take over all weekend, party and drink and play music and holler all night long, abuse innocent stuffed animals and not be considerate at all for anyone who dares to want to sleep during the dark hours..."

H

Hey now, I'm definitely not talking about wanting to disturb other guests. From talking to Casey during last year's event, the hotel is pretty dead every New Year's Eve, which is why he wanted to run the promotion in the first place. My understanding was that he was able to put all of us together on one side of the hotel, well away from the few other guests. He's done the same thing for us at Oasis in the past -- a "quiet" side and a "noisy" side of the hotel. Perhaps last year he didn't know that some in our group wanted to be on the quiet side, but that certainly could be rectified this year. I'm sorry if we kept you up last year.

Well, and I think it's important to remember we ARE talking about New Year's Eve, here. It's not exactly a normal evening, and it's probably safe to say most people aren't observing normal bedtimes anyway.

In any case, I don't see that there should be any difficulty securing rooms on the quiet side for those who need 'em! It's understandable that not everyone is "lucky" (HA) like me, able to fall asleep at an ear-splittingly loud live punk show.

(Needless to say, folks thinking I'd OD'd and getting ready to call an ambulance WAS a bit embarrassing.)

tikivixen

p.s. Mind you, I'm not bringing my plush armadillo.

MT

Somebody get this event going, pu-leeeaase!!! Coco Loco and I will definitely go!

K

On 2005-09-23 13:30, dangergirl299 wrote:
Gosh, I guess I'm just mystified why hotel management would be so reluctant to host TC events when so many folks
....to paraphrase "are not" end paraphrase ... considerate at all for anyone who dares to want to sleep during the dark hours..."

Since New Years Eve is just 10 days after the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, and "Civil Sundown" is at 4:53 p.m. on December 31, 2005. I guess it would be considered rude to celebrate the passing passing of the old and coming of the New Year 7 hours after the members of Geriatric Central consider it nighty-night time. My humblest apologies. Perhaps Lawrence Welk Caliente would be a better location for you. A one-a and a two-a....

Jokes about geriatrics and ear plugs aside, here are my thoughts based on my experience as a risk-averse former property manager:

We like Caliente Tropics. Caliente Tropics used to be managed by the very cool Casey who would go out of his way to make sure we had a good time and allowed us to do things that your average hotel manager wouldn’t allow guests to do (e.g. noisy room parties, etc.) Your average hotel manager owes every guest a duty of “quiet enjoyment” of his or her room, especially during quiet hours, which are typically 10 pm to 8 am. This probably includes even holidays. Guests who violate these rules may be reprimanded or even asked to leave.

I am concerned that if we just converge upon Caliente Tropics and do whatever the hell we feel like doing, we run the risk of some of us getting kicked out or further alienating the TC group from the new management.

I would suggest that someone with a professional demeanor contact the new management and negotiate the new years weekend, providing assurances that a couple rooms would like to host a get together that may last until dawn, and these rooms should be placed at one end, but that the rest of the rooms will follow quiet hours rules. Also, we will be considerate about noise and trash in common areas. We will make no mention of wanting to bring our own (mellow, traditional Hawaiian-style) band until closer to the event, once the new management has become comfortable with us. We will assure them that we are much smaller and much more mellow than the Oasis crowd.

This may sound like a buzzkill, but if we are on best behavior for THIS event, we can win the management over so that they will be more supportive of us for future events.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually worked on hotel management as to whether such efforts are a good idea.

I am starting to get my holiday schedule together.
I will be here for New Years if it solidifies.
Any news yet?

M

On 2005-10-19 15:38, Unga Bunga wrote:
I am starting to get my holiday schedule together.
I will be here for New Years if it solidifies.
Any news yet?

This is my suggestion. Assume that there will be NO entertainment and NO special room rates. Then see if people still want to go and party in someones room after the bar closes (or earlier in case they are playing horrible music in the bar). If people can all agree on just converging with no official event happening, then it might work out.
No one seems to be stepping up to the plate saying
"(insert name here) am going to produce this event and work with the management and we will have everyone's favorite band (insert name here) play three sets during the evening in the Reef bar". Until that happens, I don't think a "real" event is going to happen.

Bruce, I think you have just the personality for this job, and all of TC would be SO grateful...!

:D

(I would volunteer, but I'm not sure yet if I can go)

H

If it's going to happen at all (at the Caliente, that is), it'll likely have to be casual -- all of us just booking rooms there and hanging out in the Reef Bar together that night, and in one of our rooms afterward. We've done that at other hotels before (Humphrey's Half Moon Inn) without any problem.

Casey was the one at the Caliente who wanted to see events happening there, and the current management is simply unmotivated to make anything happen (according to Otto, this is why we've not heard yet about Oasis -- he's trying to get things rolling, and the hotel is poky, poky, poky).

If we want to try to do something more organized, in concert with hotel management, we'll probably want to choose another hotel. Anyone know of a cool one in the Southern California area that might be a little more interested in having us?

T

Good idea Humuhumu. Maybe we should do New Years at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn. It's a little pricey, but they have a huge suite with large balconies (or patios) that sleeps up to 8 (2 queen beds and 2 sofa sleepers) for $459/night, which comes out to only $57.50/night/person with 8 people. Regular rooms are $169-189/night and suites that sleep up to 6 are $309-339/night. These rates are for Sat. 12/31 to Mon. 1/2 (2 night minimum).

I checked on the Tropics web site and it says "no rooms available".

I may be in SD for New Years anyway :wink:

Christ on a crutch!

M

On 2005-10-19 16:00, dangergirl299 wrote:
Bruce, I think you have just the personality for this job, and all of TC would be SO grateful...!

:D

(I would volunteer, but I'm not sure yet if I can go)

I'm not sure what my plans are either, plus I'm so busy theses days with my new selling space in San Francisco (Drugstore Vintage Deco and More open 12-7 daily 3149 Mission St near Army/Cesar Chavez).

I think the Caliente site might have a glitch. Rooms are available on both Orbitz and Sidestep for $86.00 each night. ( I checked Friday and Sat night)

reg rooms at Humphreys are $ 149.00 a night on Sidestep.com

Have a nice Tiki Day!
If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2005-10-19 17:02 ]

oh come on Bruce - you can do EET!

Tiki central NEEDS you!

we are floundering in our new years plans...

M

On 2005-10-19 16:36, thejab wrote:

Christ on a crutch!

uh-oh.

?!? (confused cat noise)

I like Jabbo's idea. With Bali Hai across the street, New Year's at Humphrey's could turn out to be a swell time.

I emailed the management at the Caliente Tropics this morning and indicated we were interested in a group rate for new years. I told him that the dates would most likely be Friday (12/30) and Saturday (12/31).

My email explained that there could be 30-40 of us.

He replied stating that if I could guarantee 30-40 ROOMS being filled then he would honor the $86 rate for everyone.

I think that 30 people would not be a problem but 30 ROOMS might be a stretch.

With the exception of the rate that Smiley found, just about everything else I have seen for the CT on those dates is in the range of $139 to $169.

Humphreys could be fun too. I have never stayed there. Is the property layed out in a fashion where room parties would be tolerated? Are we able to find eachother easily at Humphreys or is everyone isolated in their rooms?

Im up for the occassion. Had a great time last year.

I have just finished sending the same correspondence to the Humphreys Half Moon Inn.

In addition to asking for the best group rate possible, I have also inquired about the potential for chartering a boat that could take us all to Downtown San Diego one evening so that we could visit Mr. Tiki.

I will let you know their response.

Just emailed the Bali Hai asking about New Years offerings and South Pacific Room availability. I will let you know what they say.

I will contact Mr. Tiki Next

M

On 2005-10-20 07:54, Monkeyman wrote:
I have just finished sending the same correspondence to the Humphreys Half Moon Inn.

In addition to asking for the best group rate possible, I have also inquired about the potential for chartering a boat that could take us all to Downtown San Diego one evening so that we could visit Mr. Tiki.

I will let you know their response.

you ROCK!

Thanks for taking the helm Monk!
Look forward to some good news.
I also like the Humphrey's idea.

You sure do rock, Monkeyman! Thanks so much!!!

I too would find a San Diego trip most entertaining. Besides, I've never been there.

If the San Diego thing happens I would love to have the TC Ohana over to my home bar. I'll keep watching this thread and see how it developes. Any of the other S.D. tikiphiles wanna get a tour going?

... charter the jada... that'd be mighty fine...

On 2005-10-20 15:40, alohabros wrote:
... charter the jada... that'd be mighty fine...

... fyi http://www.jadasailing.com...

WooHooo! San Diego is a Tiki-rrific place to spend New Years. I just became a Travel Agent. Let me know if I can help make anyone's New Years Eve Vacation Dreams come True :)

On 2005-10-20 14:17, Matt Reese wrote:
If the San Diego thing happens I would love to have the TC Ohana over to my home bar. I'll keep watching this thread and see how it developes. Any of the other S.D. tikiphiles wanna get a tour going?

I might just be inclined to do that, Matt! I'll keep an eye out as well.

T

On 2005-10-20 07:41, Monkeyman wrote:
I emailed the management at the Caliente Tropics this morning and indicated we were interested in a group rate for new years. I told him that the dates would most likely be Friday (12/30) and Saturday (12/31).

May I suggest Saturday (12/31) and Sunday (1/1) nights instead since most folks have Monday the 2nd. off? This makes more sense for us who will be traveling from afar becuase flying on the Friday before New Years weekend will be expensive. I would rather fly down on Saturday.

Last year we did New Year's Eve & New Year's Day -- that way, you aren't faced with the race against the 11 a.m. checkout on very little sleep & a possible hangover. Also, for those superstitious types, the first day of the year was spent relaxing among friends in a tiki landscape, not a bad way to set the tone for the year.

I will inquire about availability for both scenarios. Is January 2nd a definite day off for everyone? Is that one of those holidays that migrates to the next closest work day?

Are you gonna have that elevator done in time? Otherwise we'll need some strong backs to carry me up and down the hill. :wink:

I don't know what my plans are yet for New Year's--I may be up in L.A. with my family. But if not, I'm game for a TC gathering, either here or at the Tropics. I'll keep you all posted on my plans.

I don't think I'll have the boat ride in by then. I'm sure we can get the help we need to get you up and down the stairs.

In answer to Monkeyman's question, I at least have always had that day off (except when I was waitressing, ack). I think most people do...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 221 replies