Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

A Grog Log experience: The Rum Barrel

Pages: 1 20 replies

Tonight was the first time I mixed a Rum Barrel (pg. 71) and I must say I was very pleased. I mixed it to the letter using Myer's Rum for the dark Jamaican Rum, and Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup for the sugar syrup. What a great tasting drink! Also a great excuse to use the Barrel mug I bought at the Mai Kai this past November. In fact I think I'll put the Rum Barrel at Number 1 for now in the top ten of Tiki drinks I have mixed at home. There may be another one that comes along, like on the hit singles charts, to knock it out of the no. 1 spot, but for now it's there.The Alize Red Passion liquer is a nice touch in the ingredients, and oh yeah the buzz factor is pretty high since your mixing 3/4 oz of 151 in addition to the Myers'. I drank two and got a nice zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The only very minor dissapointment was when I mixed it (3/4 oz. of each ingredient as the recipe calls for) it only filled my Mai Kai barrel mug half way, and even with a little additiional ice it was still below the rim. I wanted it Mai Kai full, but it was still tons-o-fun. Next time I'll just mix an ounce of each ingredient. That should probably do it.

Aloha! :drink:

S

Try the Mai Kai recipe and see how it compares. Or is it the same? I am not looking at the book.

Barrel of Rum

2 oz Bacardi Silver rum
2 oz Appleton rum
2 oz lime juice
2 oz orange juice
2 oz grapefruit juice
2 oz Trader Vic's passion mix
1 teaspoon honey
splash soda
2 - 6 dashes Angostura bitters

J
JTD posted on Mon, Jan 17, 2005 12:14 PM

Thanks for posting, Swanky. I like 'em both, but could only have the Mai Kai version on site.

DonHo, 1 oz. each will get the barrel 3/4 full. That's what I do, too.

Swanky-

The Mai Kai recipe is quite different from the GL recipe, but thanks for posting. I'll have to try that. Now if anybody knows the Mai Kai recipes for their Mai Tais or Zombies, that would be mucho cool-o. Both are amazing drinks, and I haven't really tasted anything that comes clost to their versions anywhere else particularly the Zombie, which I can 'taste' in my mind's eye (or mouth) right now. :drink:

JTD-3/4s full is close enough for me. I wonder if say what 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz. would do. Probably fill the barrel and get you pretty f'in smashed I'm guessing!! Yeah...fill that barrel baby!!! (that's what she said...doh!)

S

Don,
I really want to know their ZOmbie recipe. BK and I talked about it a while and he thought there was Liqor 43 in it, but I seem to recall in a late night sesssion asking Kern if it was true and I think he said 'no'. But, it's all hazy now.

I have these Mai Kai drink recipes:
Derby Daiquiri
Floridita Daiquiri
Barrel of Rum
Tahiatian Paradise
Mara Amu
and, I am pretty sure the Shark's Tooth is the same as their SHark Bite.

and a few dishes.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2005-10-20 09:38 ]

D

Yes, the Mara Amu. I've had that several times, and got the mug that comes with it. Could you post that one here?

IZ

The other great thing about the Grog Log Rum Barrel is that you can make it in giant batches for parties, and it works well. I tend to lower the sugar syrup a little and substitute gold rum for some of the 151, but otherwise the recipe is the same, and it's a huge hit at parties.

However, BE WARNED, I've seen more naked and/or half-clothed maniacs after this drink is served. It really unlocks the latent exhibitionist in people. And I'm not kidding. A crazy, crazy cocktail. I've seen it time and time again.

S

Mara Amu

fresh squeezed lime
juice ½ oz. light rum
¾ oz.fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
½ oz. dark rum
¾ oz. Fresh squeezed orange juice
½ oz. gold anejo rum
¾ oz. Passion fruit syrup

Combine all ingredients into a blender, add 2 cups ice, and process until smooth. Serves 2. For non-alcoholic, substitute club soda for rum.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2005-01-19 20:34 ]

When I plan on mixing more than one of these lovely cocktails, I mix a "batch" in a glass pitcher.
Use 6 ounces of each ingredient. Dole pineapple juice just happens to come in a 6 ounce cans. Put 1 scoop of ice in the pitcher first, then add rums, syrup and juices in that order. The ice will mellow the mix as you go, so not too much. Go for just 3 ounces of the 151 and save your brain for another day.

V

[i]On 2005-01-19 08:51, I, Zombie wrote:[/i

However, BE WARNED, I've seen more naked and/or half-clothed maniacs after this drink is served. It really unlocks the latent exhibitionist in people. And I'm not kidding. A crazy, crazy cocktail. I've seen it time and time again.

Now, I know what to do this week end with my (girl)friends from Sweden !!

On 2005-01-19 20:33, Swanky wrote:
Mara Amu

fresh squeezed lime
juice ½ oz. light rum
¾ oz.fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
½ oz. dark rum
¾ oz. Fresh squeezed orange juice
½ oz. gold anejo rum
¾ oz. Passion fruit syrup

Dear Swanky--how much lime juice is that please? I loved that drink.

H

I have been making the GL rum barrel for the last month for everyone. One of the best drinks ever, real tasty. I have a passion fruit liquor from Colombia and it is almost all gone. I will have to try Alize for the next batch. I wonder if it is just as good, cause these came out excellent. For the second round of drinks I use 1/2 151 and 1/2 Myers. so we don't go crazy.

V

I never found any alizé liqueur, and that's supposed to be french...Their website is in english, and I guess they export all their product to the states...

KK

Maybe we can work out an exchange..what was that about the naked Swedes?

V

woohoo, my wife finally found the bottle in a small import liquor store...I'll be able to make this cocktail finally tonight.
Sorry, no exchange then :wink:

K
Kono posted on Fri, Nov 25, 2005 5:09 PM

On 2005-01-17 10:16, Swanky wrote:
Try the Mai Kai recipe and see how it compares. Or is it the same? I am not looking at the book.

Barrel of Rum

2 oz Bacardi Silver rum
2 oz Appleton rum
2 oz lime juice
2 oz orange juice
2 oz grapefruit juice
2 oz Trader Vic's passion mix
1 teaspoon honey
splash soda
2 - 6 dashes Angostura bitters

Swanky, when you say "2 oz Trader Vic's passion mix" are you referring to TV's passion fruit syrup or something else? I'm guessing the syrup but I just want to make sure.

W

WAITIKI goes rum barreling along too!

See our 3/10/06 post in the mai kai area:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10334&forum=2&start=15

W

Reviving old threads is preferred over starting new ones, right?

Last night I was trying to make a Reverb Crash and half-way through realized I didn't have nearly enough grapefruit so I improvised. Here is what I came up with:

1 oz fresh white grapefruit juice
1 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz fresh tangerine juice
1 oz passion fruit syrup (homemade)
1 tablespoon cinnamon syrup (homemade)
1 oz Coruba
1 oz El Dorado 8
2 dashes orange bitters (Fees)

Shake with ice cubes, pour over crushed ice.

Well, it was ... good. I was feeling all proud of myself like I had actually invented something. But then I started playing with the Grogalizer and realized I had just inadvertently made a modified Rum Barrel! Or is it a modified Mai Kai Mara Amu? Or just a messed-up Big Bamboo? A Bum Barrel? A Barrel o Rum? The only differences really are the cinnamon syrup (sort of like Don's mix with the trace amount and the grapefruit), orange bitters, and using the Demerara and Dark Rum with no gold or light rum. Which is probably a tiki taboo (er, kapu?) or something.

Anyway, I was feeling all proud of myself but now I just feel like a plagiarist. Luckily I don't care and am going to make some more of these in a few hours. But what do I call it? What's it closest to?

sounds close to an Outrigger Special...

W

On 2015-02-26 18:18, thePorpoise wrote:
sounds close to an Outrigger Special...

Thanks thePorpoise, that drink looks delicious. Going on my list. It is a little different with the falernum instead of cinnamon. By the way, I never see orange bitters listed for any tiki recipes, only Angostura, grapefruit, and Peychauds. I wonder why?

I made Grog Log Rum Barrels yesterday after finally finding some Alize. A terrific drink. My wife instantly said "top 3." I guess I need to systematically go through all of the variations of it.

I use the following
OFFICIAL MAI-KAI RECIPE
The Mai-Kai Barrel O’ Rum
(From Beachbum Berry’s Taboo Table)

Barrel O' Rum by The Atomic Grog, June 2011.(Photo by Hurricane Hayward)

• 2 ounces white Puerto Rican 
or Virgin Islands rum
* 2 ounces dark Jamaican rum
* 2 ounces fresh lime juice
* 2 ounces orange juice
* 2 ounces white grapefruit juice
* 2 ounces passion fruit syrup
* 1 teaspoon honey mix
(equal parts honey, water)
    First one I ever made I used pink G F juice. Only use the white now. I used Meyers silver cuz somebody left a bottle in my Sharkbite Bar. Easily my 2nd favorite Tiki drink.
    Cheers
    Btw, got the recipe here on T C.

Pages: 1 20 replies