Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

carvings by Ken Pleasant

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 382 replies

bahhhh, I just got the new lamp, and I'm too pregnant to get it out of the box! My boss left for a meeting and wouldn't help me, and I'm afraid if I open it up I won't be able to get it back in the box to take home.......

I want to see it! Damn. OK - Keigs, when mr. pineapple opens it tonight, we'll ooooohhhh and ahhhhhhhhh!
thanks!
mrs. p

K

Helloooooo, Well I am back kind of. I have a new home and computer. But still no shop. To those of you who emailed me and never got a response. Sorry I had no internet for a few months and then when I got it my friggin computer did not work.... all is better now.
I have no new pics of carvings but hope to have soon!!!!!

On 2005-10-28 19:37, keigs20 wrote:
To those of you who emailed me and never got a response. Sorry I had no internet for a few months and then when I got it my friggin computer did not work.... all is better now.

Best damn vacation in the world!!!

Arrrrrrrr!!!

Glad to have you back Ken!!!

Rock on!!

You da man.

K

raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! thanks guys
Ben looks like you have been busy. That is some amazing bamboo and trim work you did.
BK glad to see you carving again. Your work blows me away.

K

This is the first thing I have made in the last 4 months. Thought I would post it if you have not seen it.

Thanks for looking

J

I'm glad you posting again. I've enjoyed your carvings and the way you carry on the tradition.
JP

Hey, Ken, Where ya been, captain?

Looks like a cat tree Ken. :D But that's from my twisted perspective.

Ken,

We have REALLY missed you, buddy!
PLEASE don't be a stranger!!!

Lee

K

Thanks Johnny p, I hope to be around more often things are slowing down a little so I have more time. Hey BK working out of town a lot. Thats funny Jungle trader after I put a clear coat on it I put it in the house to dry cause its a bit cold outside and that is the first thing I thought of is where is the cat I have to keep him away from this. Tiki Lee Thanks man hope the shop is doing well. Thanks again

K

here is a sneak peak of another lamp I have been working on. Based on a Witco design Its pretty much done just have to put it together. I just threw it together on the floor for a pic. I will have better pictures tomorrow.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 27, 2006 2:27 AM

Cool lamp! Nice twist on the Witco style.

K

Thanks Hewey, Here are a few better pictures of it finished.

B

Keigs, your lamps are SO Kool, I Love when you post your stuff. I Hope you are getting your carving area situated, we miss seeing more of your stuff.

Yeah, i'm with benz. I can't wait for you to get your carving area all ready becuase maybe then you'll post more. I love the witco style and I love what you've done with the style in your own work. These lamps that you've been making are totally AWESOME. Very swank indeed, my friend. I look forward to the next post(s).

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-02-27 23:49 ]

BRILLIANT as always!!!

GOD I wish I had carving talent like you!

K

here is a smaller new design shelf I made for a fellow tc,er. It is for a bathroom but I decided to put mugs on it instead of toilet paper for the picture.

I like your cat post/ Witco modern line-like piece and the lamp is wayyyyy cool!

B

Keigs, Way cool stuff as usual. I Really like this shelf. The finish is nice and thin, Not Heavy looking. Excellent!

K

Thanks Sneakytiki and Benz, Benz I cut the edges at a 45 before I carved it to give it a more rounder look so the wood looks thinner. I like it also it kind of flows with the shelf.

Here is 2 of the set of 5 of Ken's Hefner Masks along with a real live Jimmy Buffet parrot. I added the bamboo behind to frame them.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Apr 9, 2006 7:51 PM

Cool! Love the shelving and love the masks too. It looks like the tikis on the end of the shelf are guarding the mugs :)

Nice! Where you been, player?

P

KEIGS!!

Missed you at Hukilau this year, braddah.
Your stuff is looking so clean. I gotta get me one.
Send me a PM with your address in it.
I got something for you.

[ Edited by: pablus 2006-04-10 06:02 ]

K

Hey Jungle trader thanks for the picture. I like to see how people display my carvings this will go in my scrap book of carvings.
Thanks Hewey, Pablus Hukilau was a blast a few years ago wish I could have made it to the last one. I sent you a pm
BK I have been here and there mostly there and not here trying to spend more time here does that make sense? Good to see all the new stuff you have been creating.

K

Here is one of a set of new end tables I carved and some more id sculptures. As you can see from the first picture I had to scrape, rip and tear the paint, lahala matting and trim off the walls of my house to make the id sculptures in the second picture.

[ Edited by: keigs20 2006-05-01 22:55 ]

B

Kuel stuff Bro Keigs. Love that table too. Happy,Happy to see you a bit more often posting around. HAppy.

that thick grained wood is so distinct, looks really good! Yeah Post more!

Those are tops...I would adore a set of those end-tables myself. Hey, Ken-PM me-I needed to ask you something in the Witco department..

The table is excellent Ken. It has a real exotic feel to it.

Love the ID pieces too... your own style mixed with the classic look that William started.

Keep up the great work!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 4:46 AM

Keigs,

Very cool table. I agree with BK, a set of those would go well in my place. The framed sculptures are beautiful too. Great stuff you have here. Nice to see you around.

-Gman

P

Thanks so much, Ken, for my awesome new end tables ! Here's a photo of the set:

K

Thanks Benz I can post more often and carve more since I told the boyz at my real job I was taking the summer off to try this carving thing full time. Hope it works out.
Surfintiki thanks
BK my wife also thinks we need a pair. Someday I might keep something I make. Check your pm,s
Lake and gman thanks, Ive got some catching up to do you guys have been busy all of youz.
paumana how the heck did you take such good pictures. I spend hours trying to take pictures like that with no luck.
Cant wait to see the Witco room finished.
Thanks for the visit Bill really enjoyed it.

R

Looks like the new shop is working out. I love the finish on all your pieces. How are the tops fixed to the bases?

K

Thanks rodeo the shop is working out ok. I was going to use L brackets but they would have showed. I did not have any flat brackets so Puamana was going to put them on with flat brackets screwed into the top of the tiki and they would over hang and srew to the bottom side of the table top. Thanks again Rodeo your flame tiki looks great!!!

C

great work Kiegs....carving that Witco style is certainly in your genes.....no one could
be better....always great to see your creations.

B

KIegs, thats a cool pair of tables. It is so great to see you posting more super stuff again.

K

thanks guys here are a few more. I found about 20 yards of vintage gold velvet fabric thought I would try that for a background. I kind of like it.

K

Its always awsome to see the newest stuff from you ken..I like the velvet background alot...

K

thanks Kirby, here is a new one. Its huge 4ft4 inches tall and 12-13 wide. I drew this about 1am in the morning after a few beers. I talked about it on tc chat and Rodeo said carve it. The next day I decided the hands covering his package was not so cool so I changed his body into a bongo player but left the face as I had created it the night before.

Great piece Keigs!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 21, 2006 1:30 PM

Keigs,

Very cool. I dig the conga. The stain job is tops. Love the multi-color work. Glad to see you carvin'

Gman

Very cool. Thats the first time anyone has listend to me and had something good come of it...
The combo of stain and color is perfect.

B

Keigs, this is an amazing carving sprouting from a conversation. I love the detail and the Smoothe finish. Very Nice.

real beauty of a piece kiegs. I like the design and the fact he's playing a bongo. Very cool. the different colors also make the piece come alive. Awesome stuff, man

J

On 2006-05-21 13:54, rodeotiki wrote:
Very cool. Thats the first time anyone has listend to me and had something good come of it...
The combo of stain and color is perfect.

It turned out very nice, good advice.
JP

hot stuff Kiegs...always love drums in a carving....and the color looks great with the
dark stain....nice nice nice.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 382 replies