Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 375 replies

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:13 ]

ya know, after months of people saying, "you're all gonna go broke during the 50th" I thought to myself, "yeah right, how much cool stuff could there possibly be?"

I stand corrected.

Yikes. I might as well let it sink in now that I can't have it all. Damn, that stuff is beautiful.

-Z

All I can say is: WOW!

Awesome stuff!!

CRAZY!... RAD!... GNARLY! I'm speechless!

The statues and the shirt are must haves. Finally something worth wanting.....

Way to much stuff to take in all at once! I want one of those light up bugs!

G

Eh, who needs money?

I wish they had the dress that matches that shirt, though.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

Thanks Tangaroa! This is AMAZING! I moved it to the Main forum. I think it will get more views this way.

~Hanford

Ummm, ummm,ummm.....aaaaa ,eehhhh, ooohhhh!!!!

'S okay stuff I guess, not bad...if you LIKE that kind o' stuff that is...I mean 's pretty cool...for what it is....

maybe I'll get myself some pins....and maybe the entrance hut...and the shirt...AND the Tangaroa Lamp, AND the Tikis, AND AND AND AND ANDANDAND!!!!!!!!

I'm just sitting here with my lower jaw firmly planted on my chest!!! Museum quality stuff there! I could spend all day at D-Land and just make a circle (more like a "triangle"!) from Tiki Room to Haunted Mansion to Pirates....and back again!

EEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooWWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwww

Thanks Tangaroa!
That brings back some special memories.
Now if I can only remember where I left my wallet.

T

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:14 ]

Tangaroa,
I am overwhelmed! Everything is amazing! Do you know of any "Adventure Thru Inner Space" specific items?
Thank you!

T

I think the Tomorrowland Snow Globe plays "Miracles From Molecules" and there is a Atomobile in the pewter set.....

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2005-03-29 16:32 ]

MT

Wow, majorly cool stuff, Tangaroa! I looked at this post yesterday, but it took me this long to reply because I had to recover from my aneurysm!!! Full size Barker Bird, Tangaroa lamp, Lanai Gods & Goddesses, Space Mountain big fig, Moonliner lamp... gakk-k-k...

...where's that Disney Visa application that I had sitting around somewhere on my desk?!?

K
Kono posted on Tue, Mar 29, 2005 5:18 PM

Do you Disney collectors think that these pieces are going to be real pricey or will they be reasonable like that Enchanted Tiki Room Big Fig thing that was a deal at $150?

I've never been much of a Disney fan (in fact I've been pretty anti-Disney most of my life ever since they brainwashed a college roommate of mine in the 80s and turned him into a zombie) but I find that I am slowly yet relentlessly being sucked into an all-consuming lust for Enchanted Tiki Room paraphernalia! And it all started with that little Design Toscano knockoff at Big Lots! Insidious.

T

I'm told prices will be in line with what the current "Big Figs" run for - somewhere between $125 - $200 per item. But don't hold me to that!

That's some cool stuff Tangaroa.....love that Tiki Room ticket booth and Adventureland entrance...........

wish list for the 75th:

a pair of full size ETR drummers (that work!)

not that I'm complaining about what's available :D

-Z

T

On 2005-03-30 08:58, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
wish list for the 75th:

a pair of full size ETR drummers (that work!)

not that I'm complaining about what's available :D

-Z

Ummmm - I've wanted one of those guys for a looooong time.... I'm not holding my breath though......

HL

I'm going to need some new pants. I just soiled mine after looking at all this cool stuff.

I thought I was going to have to take a trip to California in order to buy this stuff. Now all I have to do is hit the refresh button a million times on May 2nd until the items all appear. :)

I think the description, "Detail of the highest obsession" is perfect! All of it is just fantastic!

The Barker Bird is such a deal, after all, he won't chew up your tiki bar!

Who doesn't want the fullsize drummers installed around their dining room ceiling?

All this retro stuff reminded me that somewhere I have a photo of my grandmother on one of the mules on the mule-train ride, which is even more amazing now than it was then, and even then we were all amazed that she'd get on the mule.

T

Is this her?

Close! My picture is either in black & white, or it's the type that the color bleaches out of over time. I'll have to dig it out and post it. Actual grandmas on mules in Disneyland, those were the days!

T

just as a passing comment, the last time i checked the price on the ETR big fig, it had been raised from the original price of $150 to the less appealing price of $195. this was also the price of the new Haunted Mansion big fig.

N
Netty posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2005 12:42 PM

Okay, I have to get a Tiki shirt for the hubby!

Great stuff, Tangaroa. Fantastic.

Time to whip out the old credit card.

OH. MY. TIKI. GOD.

WOW! WOW! WOW! I am completely intoxicated by these photos! Mahalo for posting them!!!!!!

Lenore :)

Thanks again Tangaroa for all the cool info!

Tangaroa,

You say in your article that the Tomorrowland stuff goes on sale May 1.

Is that when it all goes on sale? Or just some things? When, for instance, is the Shirt going to be on sale? I'm getting THAT day one. Why a limited edition of 500 escapes me, given that there are over 3000 members of Tiki Central.

[ Edited by: BarkerBird on 2005-04-15 12:02 ]

T

BB- all the release dates are listed before the items in this line of the post:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13912&forum=1&vpost=149903

The Tiki Room repro Hawaiian shirt goes on sale July 15....

T

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:16 ]

Wowee! I guess I stumbled on this late, but better than never. Stunning work, Kevin and Jody. Of course, I'm not surprised. Everything I've seen come from your artistic and creative brains has been nothing short of fantastic. Congrats.

-Weird Unc

T

Wheeeeooooo!
The limited edition "Disneyland Musical History" box set went on sale today - it was sold out on-line by 1pm!
That doesn't mean you can't still get the limited edition though - both Disneyland & Walt Disney World will be carrying some copies for sale at the parks - but I am unsure of how many - or when they will put them out.

You can still back order the set here:
http://disney.store.go.com/DSSearch.process?restartflow=t&CLK=DS_11776_SEARCH_FRM&Searchstr=61499

But bear in mind that despite what it says - it will be for a "non-limited" set - without the gold vinyl, and presentation box...

Still pretty cool though!

[ Edited by: Tangaroa on 2005-04-26 17:51 ]

T

On 2005-04-26 17:50, Tangaroa wrote:
Wheeeeooooo!
The limited edition "Disneyland Musical History" box set went on sale today - it was sold out on-line by 1pm!
That doesn't mean you can't still get the limited edition though - both Disneyland & Walt Disney World will be carrying some copies for sale at the parks - but I am unsure of how many - or when they will put them out.

You can still back order the set here:
http://disney.store.go.com/DSSearch.process?restartflow=t&CLK=DS_11776_SEARCH_FRM&Searchstr=61499

But bear in mind that despite what it says - it will be for a "non-limited" set - without the gold vinyl, and presentation box...

Still pretty cool though!

warning...vent session here...

argh....i'll tell ya, i'm disgusted by all the hype and 'limited' nature of this stuff. disney has managed to extricate all the fun out of it by creating these ridiclous frenzies. why in the world this should be a limited edition i cannot fathom. none...i repeat, none of the old or vintage disneyland stuff we all love was 'limited'...that was the point of it. park merchandise was available to anyone at one time, as long as there was a market for it. i betcha more than half of the 5000 purchases were by profiteers looking to resell on ebay for three times the price, before they even get possession of the set.

also, disney releases false information about the release (first on the 24th, then on the 5th of may, and then on the 26th at midnite &!#%*#@!!) at what point is this supposed to be fun or catering to the fan?

i mean, hell, why not have rabid fans tie razor blades on their ankles and have them cock-fight for the set in Goofy's, Bounce House?

to be honest, i could care less for the set itself. it's the book i would find most interesting. the music will be on the newsgroups before you know it. i'm also sure in a month or so, you'll find all the hogs that bought ten copies selling them for less than cost on ebay when they realize the frenzy has died down. this happened with almost everything from these 'limited' events from the first haunted mansion and pirates to the tiki room/shag stuff.

i don't mean to sound like a sour puss here, it's just that i think the spirit behind the marketing and sales of this stuff (certainly not the creative, which i absolutely applaud mr. kidney and pals for) says a great deal about the walt disney company in general. and that also includes bad business practice...i mean, are they really doing their stock holders justice by putting this stuff out in such small numbers? especially when you find out that 'limited edition' is really a suggestion on their part. (pirates and mansion lithos that seem to never end from their original, 'limited' numbers).

this is why i like to stick to vintage stuff.

i dunno, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth which i think i'll wash out with a couple of chi-chi's!

T

A couple of chi-chi's in my mouth always tastes better.

T

T

On 2005-04-28 07:25, trustar wrote:
A couple of chi-chi's in my mouth always tastes better.

T

amen! it's 10AM in LA now...let's go!

On 2005-04-28 03:14, tiki1963 wrote:

i mean, hell, why not have rabid fans tie razor blades on their ankles and have them cock-fight for the set in Goofy's, Bounce House?

Bwahahahaha! That rules.

J- we must design this attraction as soon as possible! But only if hefty pin-lanyards are also allowed as weapons ala Spartacus..... I can see it all in my minds eye now!

On 2005-04-28 10:58, Tangaroa wrote:

On 2005-04-28 03:14, tiki1963 wrote:

Bwahahahaha! That rules.

J- we must design this attraction as soon as possible! But only if hefty pin-lanyards are also allowed as weapons ala Spartacus..... I can see it all in my minds eye now!

tang- that sounds like a plan...here's my pin-warrior. my money's on him. who do you offer as challenger?

T

On 2005-04-29 11:29, tiki1963 wrote:
tang- that sounds like a plan...here's my pin-warrior. my money's on him. who do you offer as challenger?

You will not defeat the mighty George!!!!

T
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.