Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 375 replies

T

XL fits me just fine on the previous release - I'd say XL is right in line with other modern day XLs...

On 2006-01-21 19:06, fatuhiva wrote:

I have a question about the shirts- how do the sizes run? Say, if i wear a XL tshirt, will the XL shirt be about right, or are they on the big side? What is the material they are printed on?

HOPEFULLY, they will mark the shirts correctly this time!!
I bought a large, XL and XXL shirt to be safe. The XXL was actually a medium in size! and the Large turned out to be an XXL!

F

yikes- yes I sure do hope they are marked correctly- it would suck to return a mislabeled one to find they are sold out.

What is the material of the shirts? Silk, Rayon, Cotton?

On 2006-01-23 15:46, fatuhiva wrote:

What is the material of the shirts? Silk, Rayon, Cotton?

The purple shirts were 100% cotton.

T

Looks like Disney has put the last batch of 50th Anniversary collectibles on clearance for 20 to 50% off.

http://disneyshopping.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_Id=14770

Oh my Tiki God!!! After spending lots of money last year buying all the wonderful (mostly)Kevin & Jody 50th merchandise, I went to the website to see what was on sale. I picked up the Adventureland pins (not a pin collector, but these babies are BEAUTIFUL) along with the Jungle Cruise boat. Well, I just received the package in the mail. I have to say that the Jungle Crusie boat is unbelievable! It is museum quality. I was really blown away. I had alradey spent so much money that I had a hard time spending another $200 for this boat. Now that it's on sale for a little over $100, I have to say that this boat belongs in every home. Highly recomended! As for the pins, they are classy and nice...but I think I bought one of the last ones as it's no longer listed on the Disney site.
Well, I just wanted to rave about this Jungle Cruise boat. My expectations were high to start with, and they were exceded.
Now to save money for the April 7th wave....
Your friend,
Louis

H

Here's a photo I got of the drummer in the Tiki Room in action last week:

We visited the Disney offices last week, and got to see one of the drummers in person -- it looks pretty much exactly like the one pictured above. Great detail, great paint job. Neat-o!

F

damn i think the 5-tiki set is sold out..

I assume the little, dangly sparke in his eye isn't on the for-sale tiki drummer.
?

T

I don't think so, lynxwiler.... Although Rolly Crump told me he got the idea looking at the back of one of the Sparklett's water delivery trucks!

Lynxwiler is a heck of a researcher, by the way! Check out his awesome book on Wilshire Boulevard, here:
http://www.kcet.org/explore-ca/california-stories/drivingpassions/wilshire/biography_eric.php

E

Can anyone else hear a low rumbling of the sound of drums off in the distance starting to build in anticipation of what's to come??

If you've never ordered from the Disney site make sure you sign up for their emails before you do. They have discounts all the time. For example you can get 15% off sitewide today plus free shipping if you drop $75 into your cart. Plus you can get the additional promo on top of sale prices. So the Enchanted Tiki Room watch (which is now 44.99) could be had for another 15% off:

I once got this giant Oogie there and have gotten emails ever since:

(i purposely made myself look surrealy and scary, but some may say I always look that way)

G

Where do you see that watch for sale at $44.99? I waited too long and now I can't find it on the site anymore.

On 2006-03-27 09:45, GatorRob wrote:
Where do you see that watch for sale at $44.99? I waited too long and now I can't find it on the site anymore.

Here:

http://disneyshopping.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_id=14820&Store_Id=8&Product_Id=185474&Searchstr=tiki&Page=1

T

OK everyone - here's the latest. Be sure and call on midnight if you want to be assured of a full size tiki drummer, or the green Hawaiian Host shirt and/or dress...

Info from Kevin:

Here's the long list! Everything becomes available the night of Friday April 7 (around midnight). God help us.
Just in case anyone forgot... Website: http://www.DisneyShopping.com Telephone: 800-237-5751

"Enchanted Tiki Room 1963 Hostess Dress" (Misses S, M, L, XL) $99 Item# 57697-S36

"Enchanted Tiki Room 1963 Host Shirt" (Men's S, M, L, XL, XXL) $99 Item# 57688-S36

"Tiki Drummer Replica from Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room" - $175 Item# 96004-S36

also of interest:

"Main Street, U.S.A. Omnibus Replica" (with certificate signed by designer Bob Gurr) - $199 Item# 95999-S36

"Dumbo and Jiminy Cricket at Disneyland" Big Fig - $150 Item# 96014-S36

"1957 Monsanto House of the Future" illuminated Scale Model Replica - $149 Item# 96001-S36

"Here You Leave Today..." Bronze Plaque Replica -$ 59.95 Item# 96000-S36

"Disneyland Vintage Logos Shirt (Kevin Kidney design)" - $99 Item# 57696-S36

"Pirates of the Caribbean Auctioneer (Marc Davis design) bronze statue on marble base - $99.95
Item# 96006-S36

"Haunted Mansion Lenticular Pins" (boxed set of five pins) - $44.95 Item# 96007-S36

"Haunted Mansion Gate Wall Plaque Mirror" (cast iron) - $99.95 Item# 96005-S36

"Disneyland Tin Sign Set" (five die-cut signs: Tiki Room, Submarine Voyage, Home of the Future, Vintage Castle logo, and Walt Disney's face) - $99.95 Item# 96002-S36

"Disneyland 1955 Castle Graphic Commemorative Charger Plate" (ceramic) - $79.95 Item# 96017-S36

"Disneyland 50th Anniversary (Vintage Land Logos) Gold Coins" (Five coins) -
$39.95 each
or
Buy All Five for $159
Fantasyland Item# 96235-S36
Adventureland Item# 96234-S36
Tomorrowland Item# 96237-S36
Frontierland Item# 96236-S36
Main Street USA Item# 96233-S36

"Sleeping Beauty Castle" Deluxe Tapestry (Eyvind Earle art) - $199 Item# 96464-S36

E

Thanks for the update! If something happens and i forget, i will have to choke myself... :wink:

T

Don't worry - I'll remind everyone again.....

MT

Once again, much mahaloz for all of the info on this, Tangaroa!!! I'm sure I speak for a lot of people here when I say that we'd probably have a lot less of this in our collections if it wasn't for you! Or be forced to go through the ebay shark route. Once again, an awesome list of stuff (I wish I could afford to buy it all) - thank you!!! (although my fiance and my bank account aren't thanking you) :D

*On 2006-03-31 11:42, Mai Tai wrote:*I'm sure I speak for a lot of people here when I say that we'd probably have a lot less of this in our collections if it wasn't for you!

Well - I'm trying to get the people who let Kevin and Jody design this stuff to realize that there is a demand for quality products that celebrate the history of Disneyland - I'd love to see more of it produced (as opposed to more snowglobes, and the like that few people want)!

J

On 2006-03-31 12:10, Tangaroa wrote:
Well - I'm trying to get the people who let Kevin and Jody design this stuff to realize that there is a demand for quality products that celebrate the history of Disneyland - I'd love to see more of it produced (as opposed to more snowglobes, and the like that few people want)!

If those tiki drummers sell out in a day, I would hope that the people would realize the great demand and let Kevin and Jody make more! I would certainly buy them!

Is there any talk about Kevin and Jody making other larger scale Enchanted Tiki Room items such as the drummer? Like maybe full-sized (or large sized) replicas of the garden tiki gods, or of the animated tiki totems inside? How cool would it be to have a wall plaque that had moveable faces and a button you could push so it would sing the Hawaiian war chant! I wish that my Enchanted Tiki Room big fig had a button that made it play the Enchanted Tiki Room theme song (or at least a portion of it). I actually rigged up something so it would do that.

Another question... How come only Disneyland items are being made? Being from South Florida, I have been to the Enchanted Tiki Room at Disney World a hundred times. But I have never been to one at Disneyland. They are very different. Come to think of it, how come there is no Tangaroa or the other garden tikis at the Disney World tiki room?

MT

On 2006-03-31 12:10, Tangaroa wrote:

Yes, I agree - there is a demand for quality products like these - they could sell this stuff all day long, all year long, at Disneyana, the Disney Gallery, online, etc. In my opinion an item like this would be special to the purchaser because it would be both viewed as something purchased at Disneyland as a reminder of their vacation, and a quality product that also celebrates the history of Disneyland. There's obviously a market for lots of cheap plastic trinkets with a Disney sticker on them - mainly for kids, but there is also a market for more quality collectable goods for adults as well. Disneyana and the Disney Gallery wouldn't still be around if there wasn't a market for this stuff.

H

Disney's put out ads for the merchandise, you can see all of them at dizhub.com. Here's Kevin & I in our shirt & dress!

There's a lot of cool stuff in this round, the Monsanto House of the Future is really neat, and I really love Kevin's vintage logo design shirt.

T

On 2006-03-31 13:08, joefla70 wrote:
Another question... How come only Disneyland items are being made?

Because we are celebrating Disneyland's 50th until July 17 2006....

But I would love to see a Horizons model!

HL

On 2006-03-31 13:08, joefla70 wrote:
Come to think of it, how come there is no Tangaroa or the other garden tikis at the Disney World tiki room?

We got a more traditional pre-show with Clyde and Seymour (lurk...lurk...lurk) instead of the gods, I'm assuming because there was budget for it by 1970.

You'll be happy to know that all of the tiki gods are living happily at the Polynesian Resort with a bunch of new friends. The Tangaroa Terrace in particular has an incredible amount of carved pillars in what looks like Marc Davis' style and two huge figural poles in the lobby.

G

On 2006-03-31 16:22, Humuhumu wrote:
Disney's put out ads for the merchandise, you can see all of them at dizhub.com. Here's Kevin & I in our shirt & dress!

Well... I know where I'll be at 12:01 p.m. then. I simply must have that dress.

The house o' the future also rocks -- though the thing I would have loved to see would be a "mighty microscope."

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

H

I don't think my girl would wear the dress. She's more of the pink pedal pushers type... but it looks fab on TC's resident hipster heartthrob; Humu! Too cute! It's good to know there are still a few woman out there who know which pumps to pair with a Trader Vic's coconut mug and a bamboo purse!

G

On 2006-04-06 15:24, hodadhank wrote:
I don't think my girl would wear the dress. She's more of the pink pedal pushers type... but it looks fab on TC's resident hipster heartthrob; Humu! Too cute! It's good to know there are still a few woman out there who know which pumps to pair with a Trader Vic's coconut mug and a bamboo purse!

Oh, I've lusted after that ETR dress for a good, long time (as Michelle knows). I will have to find some gold shoes for it, though. :wink:

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

H

Those shoes have been a big hit every time I've worn them; Disney specifically asked that I bring them to the photo shoot. I found them brand new for only $5 at an Aardvark, they were an overstock item!

I've been getting lots of PMs asking about how the sizes run, so I thought I'd post it for all to see -- both the dress and the shirt seem to run big. Kevin's size small shirt was a bit too big for him, he thought it was closer to a size medium. My dress is a size small, and if you could see the back of it in that photo, you'd see all the pins they used. I'm usually too small for a (modern) size small anyhow, but I'd say it's big even for a modern small. Here are the approximate measurements of my dress when laid out flat (double the numbers for the measurement):

Bust: ~18-19" across
Hips: ~25" across

Hope that's helpful for those of you who'll be ordering tonight at midnight!

ALERT: I just ordered the drummer. I called 800-237-5751 to ask what time zone applied (central, the operator said, to my surprise) and was told that if I had the item number, 96004-S36, I could order. I did so and got a confirmation number.

I hope this isn't a Disney glitch and that the order is valid. With shipping, it came to $206.07; I was told it is back-ordered and that the ship date is April 21. The operator did ask about a number on the back of the paper catalog, which I do not have, but when I supplied the item number he said thats all they needed.

I didn't ask about the other items, sorry...was taken aback by the news that I could order the drummer.

T

I just ordered my drummers and my dress. :)

http://dizhub.com has all the catalog numbers.

M

order away.

2 shirts en route to my home

Here's a link to the specific dizhub page with the order numbers:
http://www.dizhub.com/news/archives/2006_03_26_dizhub_archive.html#114382086269635554

Or, you can refer to Tangaroa's helpful info from a previous post in this thread:

"Enchanted Tiki Room 1963 Hostess Dress" (Misses S, M, L, XL) $99 Item# 57697-S36

"Enchanted Tiki Room 1963 Host Shirt" (Men's S, M, L, XL, XXL) $99 Item# 57688-S36

"Tiki Drummer Replica from Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room" - $175 Item# 96004-S36

WooHooo! Soccer Tiki and I just placed our order too!!! :)

T

Thanks for the info!
I called and got the completely clueless employee who put me on hold and came back and told me the items don't go on sale until midnight central time. :( I mentioned that others have already been able to order items and miraculously then he found he could complete my order right now.

Be persistent.

The guy who took my order was as surprised I'd been told they were not available til midnight as I was that they were available right then.

Aside from calling to ask which time zone applied (I'd seen Pacific earlier in this thread), I was also going to ask which day applied since "midnight Friday" is slightly ambiguous.

OK, who's going to market a motor kit for these things?

B

SWEEEEET!!!!

Just got my order in. Thanks for the heads up!

T

Damn! I hope my inside sources who are getting me a discount are aware of this... Of course I can't get anyone on the phone...

Do I tempt fate and hope to get my discount - or do I cave in and order right now????

Oh cruel fate, why do you mock me!!!!!!!!

I called once, got a clueless employee who knew nothing.

Called back, got a girl that completed the order, already knew the item numbers and was totally aware of the tiki items. She said "what is it with all you west coast people and tiki stuff?"
I tried to explain, but I don't think it clarified anything for her, I'm sure we're still freaks.

She said the drummers don't ship until april 26th and the shirts were selling fast.

Disney needs to figure out what time they are selling this stuff, 9pm, midnight, pacific, eastern, phone number, website, etc. If you waited for it to come up online, you may miss out on the size shirt you need. Its 10:15 now and I still can't find it on the website. It's always an adventure ordering this stuff.

Erich

PS hey tangaroa, nice Homer reference!

[ Edited by: ErichTroudt 2006-04-06 22:18 ]

G

I can tell you, with absolute certainty, that they updated the website shortly after 1:00 a.m. PDT. That was when I placed my order. Finally!

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ Edited by: gwenners 2006-04-07 08:31 ]

T

Well - I definitely got a drummer and a green shirt!

Anyone who wants these items really need to order them this morning - I'll bet the green shirt will be gone by this afternoon...

Good luck!

M

I am glad I saw the posting last night--silly me, I thought they were going on sale TONIGHT at Midnight! duh! :)

E

I got my tiki drummer too! They have a promotion this weekend: free shipping plus 10% savings if you use code WEEKEND10. That really helped on the price of the drummers!

M

You will get free shipping if you go through the website.

MT

Here is another coupon code that you can use:
DSINTRO20
This is good for 20% off your online purchases, and it's good through April 23. I think you get free shipping with your order as well - at least my order came up with free standard shipping. That took quite a bit of the sting out of ordering two drummer gods. (You will, unfortunately, have to pay sales tax if you live in California).

The nice thing about this coupon code is that you've got two weeks to use it for any of the merchandise on Disney's online catalog - whether it's one of the new host shirts, dresses, or drummer gods, or one of the other pricier 50th Anniversay items like the Barker Bird, Jungle Cruise Boat Replica (now on sale for $129 plus the additional 20% off with the coupon), the Tangaroa Tree lamp (now $149 plus 20% off), the Monorail Mark 1 replica (now $229 plus 20%), Hatbox Ghost ($129 plus 20% off), etc, etc, etc...

THANKS Mai Tai you just saved me $40 !!!!!!

I called in and the credited the order I placed yesterday.

Way cool to see Humuhumu and Kevin on the ads.

T

Hey, I owe someone a drink. Just saved $40.00. Thank you.

M

Thanks, Mai Tai--I saved $90!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 375 replies