Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 375 replies

T

Yeah - they were limited to 5 gods for the box..... Too bad they wouldn't let them do all of them!

The shirt was hampered too by certain folks how thought no one would buy such an ugly shirt! That's why they only went with 500.... Hopefully - you will see a higher number of shirts for sale when they do the green one next Spring!

T

that theory makes no sense to me. it proves that decisions at disney these days are made from exec-ego rather than sound business point of view.

why not market those shirts with an open edition at $25-30 bucks a pop and make them available to anyone who wants one in adventureland? i mean, wouldn't that be cheaper to produce, less expensive to sell and satisfy the park guests?

5000 shirts $29.99 would total $149,950 in sales. at that volume, they would probably cost about $3-5 bucks to produce max. at 500 shirts at $99, that's $49,500 total sales and it probably cost them $8-12 per shirt. that hound don't hunt!!!

how many poor, chubby TCer's are going to have to squeeze into mediums and smalls? poor things....it ain't fittin', it ain't fittin'....just ain't ain't fittin!

On 2005-08-01 13:17, tiki1963 wrote:

How many poor, chubby TCer's are going to have to squeeze into mediums and smalls? poor things....it ain't fittin', it ain't fittin'....just ain't ain't fittin!

But think of the windfall for Humu! Dozens of teeny-tiny shirts for her to choose from!

H

On 2005-08-02 07:10, freddiefreelance wrote:
But think of the windfall for Humu! Dozens of teeny-tiny shirts for her to choose from!

If only it were so... they're men's sizes, and the sample of the small that Kevin & Jody had me try on was comically huge. You should have seen me try on the XXL!

T

i have a kids medium(?) of the original shirt in green...i'll have to let you borrow that one.

or, perhaps you should purchase the xxl and fashion a Sears catalog style capri outfit from it!

T

Just a quick reminder - not only does the Tangaroa lamp go on sale tomorrow - but also these wonderful items from Pirates Of The Caribbean....

On the small pewter figures - Jody Daily went so far as to pull the Marc Davis originals they were based on to match the colors exactly!

No one at the Walt Disney Company is creating collectibles with such a strong nod to the original designers. The detail on the pewter pieces has to be seen in person....

Tangaroa is up and available for order on the website. I've got my order in.

Chris

T

Here's the link for the Tangaroa Lamp:
http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_id=14418&Product_Id=187447&Searchstr=tiki+room&Page=1

However - this little blurb on the page concerned me a bit:

" WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm. "

Whatta they got in that tree? Asbestos?

H

On 2005-08-12 07:50, Tangaroa wrote:

However - this little blurb on the page concerned me a bit:

" WARNING: This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm. "

Whatta they got in that tree? Asbestos?

This is due to Prop 65 and pertains to the electrical power cord. Apparently the plastic coating on just about all power and extension cords is carcinogenic.

From http://www.prop65apt.org/
Furnishings, Hardware, and Electrical Components.
Room furnishings and building materials contain formaldehyde, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. Furniture, foams, brass keys, electrical power cords, carpeting, carpet padding, wall coverings, wood surfaces, and vinyl, contain a number of chemicals, including lead, and formaldehyde, known to cause cancer, and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm. Their presence in these materials can lead to exposures. Certain molds that may be present contain chemicals, including sterigmatocystin, known to the State of California to cause cancer.

[ Edited by: hakalugi 2005-08-12 08:03 ]

T

Also - it looks like the "No longer available" message on the Host Shirt page is gone! Do they have more...? It looks like they may have some Mediums left.... Give them a call at 1-800-328-0368 or check the page here:
http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_id=14418&Product_Id=185575&Searchstr=tiki+room&Page=1

K
Kono posted on Tue, Aug 23, 2005 6:02 PM

The Tangaroa lamp is still not sold out yet. Do they ever mark down these collectibles? I really want one of these lamps but not for $200.

T

I don't think that they will mark this one down... Yes - the price is steep, but when you see it in person - I'm sure you will think it was worth it!

And man oh man - I'm sworn to secrecy - but you guys are gonna flip over what's coming next May! (Sorry to be such a tease.... I'll say something as soon as I can...)

H

On 2005-08-24 09:42, Tangaroa wrote:
And man oh man - I'm sworn to secrecy - but you guys are gonna flip over what's coming next May! (Sorry to be such a tease.... I'll say something as soon as I can...)

Hey now -- if this is what I think it is, don't steal my thunder! :wink:

M

I don't think that they will mark this one down... Yes - the price is steep, but when you see it in person - I'm sure you will think it was worth it!

A lifesize "Captain EO" doll??

On 2005-08-23 18:02, Kono wrote:
The Tangaroa lamp is still not sold out yet. Do they ever mark down these collectibles? I really want one of these lamps but not for $200.

Yes, they mark down the things that don't sell.

I got me a primo 20,000 Leagues water globe for 50 bucks.

Check this deal out!

http://disneyshopping.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_id=14418&Product_Id=156594&Searchstr=leagues&Page=1

G

On 2005-08-24 09:49, mrsmiley wrote:

So close -- surely, it's the "Tickle Me, Eo!"

Seriously though -- I want a repro of the host dress, durnit!

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

M

On 2005-08-25 08:27, gwenners wrote:

On 2005-08-24 09:49, mrsmiley wrote:

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

You are very, very SICK!!! :)

H

After a brief powwow with Tangaroa to compare notes, it turns out there are TWO cool Kevin Kidney/Jody Daily/Disney announcements on the horizon -- stay tuned!

On 2005-08-24 16:41, BarkerBird wrote:

Check this deal out!

http://disneyshopping.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_id=14418&Product_Id=156594&Searchstr=leagues&Page=1

Holy Crap! Is that thing even half as cool as it looks? I gotta get me one of those!

On 2005-08-25 09:45, mrsmiley wrote:

On 2005-08-25 08:27, gwenners wrote:

You are very, very SICK!!! :)

I will take that as a compliment!

Cheers,
Gwen Smith
(As long as I can take it with a repro host dress!)

Got my Barker Bird today. One Problem, it keeps hitting on my Mary Poppins Umbrella. Kevin Kidney, help. The Umbrella has laid eggs. What will a Barker Bird / Mary Poppins Umbrella Hybrid look like? How much are they worth?

On 2005-08-25 11:26, TikiJosh wrote:

On 2005-08-24 16:41, BarkerBird wrote:

Check this deal out!

Holy Crap! Is that thing even half as cool as it looks? I gotta get me one of those!

Yep. It illuminates from the inside. It's creepy looking. The squid moves in an eerie way too. It kind of undulates, but it's really just moving closer and farther from the lens, which makes it look like it's growing inside and pulsating.

It's very nice.

Kind of lovecraftian looking.

K

I just checked today and the 20,000 Leagues "snowglobes" are now selling for $109.00. Glad I got mine for $49.99.
Thanks TC for tips.

New items up today at Disneydirect.com

Haunted mansion stuff. Hatbox ghost figure. Rolly Crump arm wall sconce. Stretching portrait tapestries... much more.

Anyone waiting to get that fantastic Tangeroa Lamp - Disneyshopping.com has a 30% off coupon (use LASTCHANCE at checkout) only good until Dec. 14. The Adventureland pins are on sale already and you can add the 30% on top of it all. Have fun shopping!!

Well - a while back I was hinting that Kevin and Jody would have a new round of amazing Disneyland items - yesterday Kevin gave me the OK to let the cat out of the bag!

If I was to pick one (manageable sized, anyway) Enchanted Tiki Room prop to bring home with me, what would it be....?

You betcha - the drummers!!!

These are actual, full-sized reproductions off the original Rolly Crump 1963 MAPO molds, hand painted, and accurate down to the last detail.

When something gets old at Disneyland (like the Gods in the lanai) - the staff shop orders a new fiberglass mold made - these are no less detailed!

I could ramble on and on - but I'll quote Kevin.

"...the tiki drummers are detailed differently on each side so that it looks like 2 different tikis when you see them in the show, though it's actually only one sculpture. The drums are two-faced and when you see them in the show, one face is always looking directly at the wall, so you only see one side at a time. I'm sure most collectors will want to get two to face each other on a shelf. The drummers are static replicas (painted in their original 1963 color scheme) and will not have animatronics in them to make them "drum", though the arms are pose-able. We did this to keep the retail low."

"...we preserved the original lighting effect inside the drum tops, which illuminates the tiki from below, making them look creepy and ominous. A dark electric cord comes out of the base and plugs into any outlet. As the tikis are obviously intended to be seen from below in the show, most people will be surprised to see that the drums have no real tops on them, but instead a covering of frosted plexiglass. This protects the lightbulb inside the drum. The plexiglass "lid" is removable and the lightbulb is replaceable when it burns out. It is a standard low-watt bulb easily bought at any store - not LEDs!"

Amazing. A limited edition of 1000, these will retail for about $179 each.

"Also, here is an image of the Tiki Room Host Shirt - GREEN version! Same cut and sizes as the previous version. Same replica tag inside the collar, and same retail: $99.95 Also same Limited Edition size: 500.

Due to many, many requests, we've made the Tiki Room Hostess Dress in Green also. There, unfortunately, is no plan at this time to make the purple version dress--but who knows the future? The green dress is pretty cool though. It is the vintage pattern - very 1960s! It's sleeveless with fabric-wrapped buttons on the shoulder straps."

So - for those of you who missed out on the first shirt - here's your chance (although I'm surprised Disney is still keeping the edition size to 500).

"The Disneyland Vintage Graphics Shirt has every original logo from the Tiki Room to Adventure Thru Inner Space and tons more in a jumbled Aloha print shirt. It comes in S,M,L,XL, & XXL - LE 500, Retail 99.95"

Really cool - and a tough toss-up for me between this and the green ETR shirt...

"... another Disneyland vintage graphics TIN SIGN set. There are 5 metal, silkscreened signs using some great graphics including the Tiki Room, taken from the 1963 "Today at Disneyland" brochure. Also, the Monsanto House of the Future, new Submarine Voyage of 1959, the original castle graphic logo, and a cute graphic of Walt's face from the original souvenir maps. LE 1000 - price $99.95."

Lastly, if any of you are in Anaheim for the NFFC show tomorrow, you may want to stop by & say hello to Kevin & Jody, who will have previews of all this merchandise that will be available in April. In particular, you may want to see their custom "one-off" conversion of the Barker Bird to "Rosita"!

Don't expect to see "Rosita" for sale - but if you stop by, Kevin may give you some tips on how to convert your extra "Juan"!

Me - I can't wait for April...

Oh, I wish I could be there for the show. Thanks for sharing the pics -- I'd seen a large sample of the green fabric, but it's neat to see it all sewn up -- I'm excited to see how the dress turned out. Excellent to hear they were able to do fabric covered buttons, I know there'd been some concern about being able to do that affordably. THE VINTAGE LOGO SHIRT is awesome! Lovely lovely lovely. Those drummers are going to sell out likethat. Kevin & Jody know what they're doing!

Holy crap! that stuff is truly unbelievable! The host shirt and the tiki drummers...awesome.

Tanga - how does one purchase these items in april? does it go through kevin and jody, or are they only available at the park?

The drummer was so cool in person. I can't wait to get one. $179 is beyond reasonable. The shirts are cool too. They will be the same price as last time and only have 500, 100 in each size.

Heres a crappy cell phone picture of the drummer.

Kevin was cool to talk with. The dealers room seemed smaller and I found far less tiki stuff than I did in June.
Afterward I went to disneyland and it was crowded. They had a new tiki room pin just for annual pass holders. It was cool so I bought it.

Erich

T

On 2006-01-15 08:44, Polynesiac wrote:
Holy crap! that stuff is truly unbelievable! The host shirt and the tiki drummers...awesome.

Tanga - how does one purchase these items in april? does it go through kevin and jody, or are they only available at the park?

Hi Polynesiac -
Go to the first 2 or 3 pages of this thread - the merchandise will be offered the same way. Either through the Disney Store online, or via catalog (but I reccommend ordering online or via phone orders during the first hours available, as the Green host shirt & drummers are highly likely to sell out!).

On 2005-03-30 09:41, Tangaroa wrote:

On 2005-03-30 08:58, Feelin' Zombified wrote:
wish list for the 75th:

a pair of full size ETR drummers (that work!)

not that I'm complaining about what's available :D

-Z

Ummmm - I've wanted one of those guys for a looooong time.... I'm not holding my breath though......

I suppose we can exhale now???

too freakin' cool. after shooting my mouth off last year, I HAVE TO buy one.

-Z

MT

Holy Schnikies!!! Those drumming gods are awesome! And the shirts too! Thank you for posting this info for us, Tangaroa!!!
Cheers, :drink:
-Mai Tai

T

well, wowzee wowzee woo-woo.

now, i can die and go to tiki heaven!

k and j had mentioned that they were workin' on this but i have to say, the finished product is more than can be expected.

i have a sour opinion of what disney will release, even when great guys like k and j are involved. somehow, i thought this would turn into a 're-invisioned' version of the drummer by management or perhaps a smaller, keepsake type of thing.

example: look at any "1930s" mickey mouse stuff in the disney catalog. no matter what, they HAVE to have some sub-par artist re-draw mickey rather than use an original ub iwerks pose...why, i don't know.

i'm WAY happy this is the full size version! looks amazing!

i'm definitely on my way to re-creating the glory of the tiki room in my home now! thanks for the fantastic work guys!!!!!!!

tang- we interviewed the final pieces of the puzzle for the tiki room documentary....got wally boag and richard sherman and recorded amazing stuff. will be a great surprise for tiki room enthusiasts when its finally done.....

hope you've saved some clams!

On 2006-01-17 01:14, tiki1963 wrote:
well, wowzee wowzee woo-woo.

:D

T

On 2006-01-17 01:14, tiki1963 wrote:

i have a sour opinion of what disney will release, even when great guys like k and j are involved. somehow, i thought this would turn into a 're-invisioned' version of the drummer by management or perhaps a smaller, keepsake type of thing.

Originally, they were gonna force K & J to sculpt a 3/4 size - thankfully, they agreed to let them pull a casting off the original mold. I have to stress again, that these are castings off the ORIGINAL MOLD - which is one degree removed from Rolly Crump's original sculpture! In other words, this is as close as you can get to a real one - all the details will be exact... I'm very excited!

Kevin and Jody are Tiki Gods. Bow Down!
Love,
Louis

What I meant to say is that if it wasn't for Kevin and Jody, Disneyland's 50th would have completely sucked!!! I liked SHAG's stuff too. And my home Tiki Room would ALSO suck big time. Disney Shopping should not be allowed to release non-Kevin and Jody collectibles....EVER.
I feel better now,
Louis

I'm sorry, but was the date set for the sale of the drummers and I over read it, because I did not see any date when they will go on sale. ?
Thanks

E

Thanks Atomobile for starting that other thread and Tangaroa for the photos! I'd better go get the bowdown guys again:

tangaroa

I haven't been here in a couple of weeks and the tiki enabling starts the moment I return. :wink:

Love the Crocodile Drummers and the fact that they light up!!! You could probably change the color of the bulb to suit the needs of your room too...

[ Edited by: Exoticat 2006-01-18 01:07 ]

On 2006-01-18 01:03, Exoticat wrote:
Love the Crocodile Drummers and the fact that they light up!!! You could probably change the color of the bulb to suit the needs of your room too...

Maybe someone with an aluminum Christmas tree has a miniature color wheel that could be put into one? If not, there are color changing LED bulbs that could be used; some are automatic, some remote controllable.

T

On 2006-01-17 22:53, Unga Bunga wrote:
I'm sorry, but was the date set for the sale of the drummers and I over read it, because I did not see any date when they will go on sale. ?
Thanks

All this new merchandise is set to go on sale in April - I don't have any info other than that right now...

Unga Bunga wants a drumma!

April 7, 2006!!!

E

You can also make anything dimmable without doing any electrical work. IKEA makes a dimmer switch that you simply plug your item into, and then you plug that into the wall.

I use one on one of my display cases that has halogens, they are too bright when the room goes into to movie theater mode (which seems all too often with near record breaking winter NW rain), but yet I still want some light on my tiki mugs. That reminds me, I did see a big tiki in the aquarium scene in the movie Closer a couple of weeks ago.

Back to my point: this may not be necessary for the drummers, but it might be something someone might want for something one day...and then you'll be glad you read this! :wink:

Oh, i wanted to add that Tangaroa looks like he's been separated at birth from HUNTER (from the show SURVIVOR).

H

That moai in the aquarium is almost certainly from the London Aquarium.

That's actually the very dashing Kevin Kidney in the photo on the left, not Tangaroa.

E

Oh! Thanks humuhumu. Well, then i don't know what Tangaroa looks like or who his celebrity twin might be.

Also, that's just a crappy photo that i took with my camera of the tiki on the tv screen but if you want to use it go ahead...

T

On 2006-01-18 15:20, Exoticat wrote:

Oh, i wanted to add that Tangaroa looks like he's been separated at birth from HUNTER (from the show SURVIVOR).

NOOOOOOO!!!!

I am not Kevin and he is not me! I am the poster of this thread - Kevin & Jody get all the credit for bringing these awesome products to life....

F

wow- I am really stoked on all these new items. I will be buying a pair of those drummers for sure.

I have a question about the shirts- how do the sizes run? Say, if i wear a XL tshirt, will the XL shirt be about right, or are they on the big side? What is the material they are printed on?

I think its cool that there's green ones now..

I used to have an original purple one in a little kid's size, but I sold it at the Dionysus Derby way back in the day. Now that I have a 2 year old, i kick myself. I also passed on buying Shag's "Presentation of the Swizzle Stick" for $500 that night.. what drug was I on? It ended up in the "Collection of Ben Stiller"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 375 replies