Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 375 replies

I managed to save $113. Unfortunately, I had to ask for a supervisor and argue a little. Totally worth it though.

Thanks, Mai Tai.

MT

You guys are welcomed - it's my pleasure!!! I'm glad I could save everyone some greenbacks, 'cause hey, this stuff can be expensive!!!

A note about the discount coupon code - to use it online, you will have to already be logged onto disneyshopping.com, which means that you have to set up an account with your name, shipping address, log-in i.d. and password, etc. If you are not logged on, I don't think the coupon code will work.

Also, the coupon code is good only for items that are in stock in the warehouse. For the drummer gods you will still be able to get the discount, since they allow you to go online and actually place their item number into your shopping cart. If you call the 1-800 number, they might not give you the discount because a.) The drummer gods are not currently stocked nor available for immediate shipment from their warehouse, b.) the coupon is supposed to be used online.

Good luck with your purchases!!!

E

Mai Tai,

You actually owe me a drink!

(Long
pause
while
you
inhale
an
incredulous
gasp)

As the price point on the tiki drummers plummeted again I rationalized that I could now get two (which I secretly wanted all along). So I now have no money for a drink so you'll have to buy me one (make it a Mai Tai, please!) :wink:

Seriously, thanks though. I placed my THIRD order of the day on those drummers (first two orders were cancelled). If someone else comes up with a 30% off code... I... i...i might seriously need a drink to cope...

J

On 2006-04-07 12:34, Mai Tai wrote:
A note about the discount coupon code - to use it online, you will have to already be logged onto disneyshopping.com, which means that you have to set up an account with your name, shipping address, log-in i.d. and password, etc. If you are not logged on, I don't think the coupon code will work.

Ok, I'm a moron! I tried ordering using the coupon code three times and it didn't work. It was only then that I finally decided to read Mai Tai's post carefully. Once I heeded his note about logging on with my ID and password, it worked like a charm! Saved $35. Thanks Mai Tai.

Thanks, Mai Tai!

And while I'm at it, thanks, Tangaroa, for starting this thread...and Humuhumu too for posting the the dizhub link. (Can you say "Humuhumu too" really fast three times?)

I called back and got my order credited for 20% off plus free shipping. It took two tries; the first operator emphatically stated that they could not do that and referred me to fine print concerning the coupon code.

The women I got the second time I called was a different story; she agreed immediately and did not even ask for the coupon code. She asked where I'd heard of the practice of calling back to use the code and when I told her "tikicentral.com" she laughed and said "I guess I've been dealing with your friends all day." She seemed amused, but quite friendly.

I should have asked an employee number or something in case thay have perks for people who receive emailed positive consumer feedback.

Just got back from Disneyland, turned 43 there. Picked up a bunch of 50th anniversary/Shag merch, didn't notice any Tiki Room stuff per se though I did get the soundtrack CD which they burn on the spot from a catalogue of out of print LPs. "Pirates" was closed which was a bummer (so they can add a Johnny Depp robot). The Submarine was also closed because they're turning it into a "Finding Nemo" theme ride. They also said they changed some stuff at Haunted Maniosn, didn't notice any myself (no Eddie Murphy is all that matters.) We hit Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion and Small World multiple times - best time to go is during a parade or fireworks show, when everyone stops and stares up at the sky and you can slip past 'em like the zombies in "Land of the Dead" (though I guess it's "Disneyland of the Dead").

Z

I just called at was able to get the credit placed against my online order from this morning. She just laughed when she asked where I got the discount code, I assume she has been crediting back periodically all day.

I also got the free standard shipping when I ordered online this morning.

THANKS AGAIN!!

J

Thanks Mai Tai! That made a couple of drummers much easier on the wallet.

T

On 2006-04-07 14:11, tikijackalope wrote:
And while I'm at it, thanks, Tangaroa, for starting this thread...

No prob - I hope everyone who wanted a shirt, drummer or dress got one!

S
SGT623 posted on Sat, Apr 8, 2006 9:59 AM

I've got the space all picked out for my two drummers. The only problem is waiting the two weeks for them to ship!

H

I heard from Kevin late yesterday -- he says the sales yesterday were "phenomenal," and that the tiki drummers were their #1 seller all day long. He said that both the shirt and the dress have been selling really well, too, and that some sizes will be selling out soon (and that some who had scoffed at the dress when Kevin initially pitched it are now very graciously eating some crow).

I heard from Kevin late yesterday -- he says the sales yesterday were "phenomenal," and that the tiki drummers were their #1 seller all day long.

So...how about those guys in the middle? :)

T

God - that would be great... But if you knew what it took to get permission to make full size drummers off the original molds, I wouldn't hold my breath for the guys in the middle... It would be awesome though!

Just got the Disney Shopping.com magazine in the mail...It doesn't really look like HumuHumu in the Enchanted Tiki Room dress (on page 75) though..???

T

On 2006-04-10 19:32, SoccerTiki wrote:
Just got the Disney Shopping.com magazine in the mail...It doesn't really look like HumuHumu in the Enchanted Tiki Room dress (on page 75) though..???

That's because it's not!

Unfortunately they took the catalog photos before Humu got invited to model the dress - too bad!

H

Yeah, it's a funny story, here's the abridged version:

The fellow at Disney in charge of all the catalog photography was using a picture of me in the dress -- a picture he thought was a vintage '60s photo -- as reference, and he became (in his words) "obsessed" with recreating the look. He scoured through all their modelling agencies trying to find someone who looked like me. It was only after the photography was done with the other model that he learned that the photo of me was from modern day. He was so thrilled to discover that I was available -- and that I actually had something to do with the dress getting made in the first place -- that he made arrangements for a special photography session, so that I could be the model for the website. They now needed a new men's shirt model, too, so they grabbed Kevin. They didn't redo the catalog pictures partially as a time concern, and partially because they're moving away from the catalog anyway -- virtually all their sales come from the website now.

Here's the unabridged version, in two parts:

The Great Enchanted Tiki Room Dress Story
The Great Enchanted Tiki Room Dress Story Gets Awesomer

On 2006-04-11 09:07, Tangaroa wrote:

On 2006-04-10 19:32, SoccerTiki wrote:

That's because it's not!

Unfortunately they took the catalog photos before Humu got invited to model the dress - too bad!

OK--This calls for a "dress-off" --I mean a dress contest (not taking off the dress!) Someone with the catalog should post the non-Humu and non-Kevin (if that exists) photos along with the the Humu/Kidney pics and we can decide which is better!! :wink:

F

Humu and Kevin would win hands down- I don't see how you could beat those shots!

I awoke last night from a half sleep and remembered in a panic that I had missed the April 7th opening of these items- so I jumped up ran to the computer and was relieved to see the shirt,dress and drummers still on the site. Phwew.. I bought a pair of drummers and used the code posted here (thanks) for a nice discount.

I'm gonna grab the vintage disney shirt for myself as well.. ah its only money.. Visa bill is gonna sting come May

F

Here's a question- was the original (purple) dress the same cut, with the pleating at the bottom? My wife has the other tiki dress (vintage), with the skulls and spears, and she says it was an A-Frame

H

Aw, that's not fair, we're just amateurs! The model they got for the other photo was lovely, and filled the dress out a bit better than I did.

I've seen two styles of the purple dress. One was identical to the one they're selling in green; that's the style I wore to the NFFC conference. Just a week or two ago, someone emailed me with pictures of another vintage style of the dress, which used the same fabric and had the same Disneyland tag, and it was less blousy (more of a shift than an a-line), buttoned up the front, and had two pockets on the front. There are also styles of dresses with a different fabric that is themed to Adventureland generally more than the tiki room specifically.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.