Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Kevin & Jody's Tiki Room collectables for Disneyland 50th (UPDATE Tiki Drummer & shirt order dates!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 375 replies

I

Round one of the anniversary artifacts are now on sale:
http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_Id=14744

Of interest to some of you might be the 50 year anniversary ukulele. (Enter 95464 in the search box of the above address) It is a bit pricey for me - $250. At that price I'd expect to get a leather instead of vinyl case.

I think they should have done a Polynesian Tiki Room version of the ukulele, rather than this Mouskateer version. I might have paid $250 for one of those. They could have also then hired King Kukulele to play such ukulele in front of the actual Enchanted Tiki Room attraction.

Vern

Not to sound snotty or anything, but I pay for my music.

This is a great set, and I want to support it. Especially since I do want them to come out with more things like this in the future.

TWDC puts food in my baby's mouth. I actually think this CD set is a bargain.

T

On 2005-05-02 15:36, BarkerBird wrote:
Not to sound snotty or anything, but I pay for my music.

This is a great set, and I want to support it. Especially since I do want them to come out with more things like this in the future.

TWDC puts food in my baby's mouth. I actually think this CD set is a bargain.

well, i buy anything that comes out of vintage stuff. from what i've read, most of this has already been out. that's why i have less interest in the cd's than the book.

i've been collecting disneyland stuff na despecially soundtracks from the park for over twenty years. in fact, much of what i have was acquired years before there was any general interest in this kind of thing.

not to get too off topic, i have mixed feelings on the internet/music issue. i never download new music when there's a new release for no other reason than i want the packaging and i don't want to rob the artist or label. on the other hand, when material is not released because there is a lack of interest by the label, then i feel it's fair game. i get my hands on any beatles music, any way i can. at the same time, i buy every legit release as well.

to each his own!

T

tiki1963 -
a lot of the material has been remastered & taken from better sources. I.e. - all the Mansion stuff has been totally redone in stereo from the original masters (unlike the 30th annversary version). That's why I'm excited about the set...

If you really want to get anal about the details & all the work that went into this set, read this interview with Randy Thornton, who produced the set here.

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:18 ]

That's great, Tangeroa. I can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow!

T

tang...hmmm...that stuff sounds interesting. i wish they'd leave off anything post 1975. i really don't need pooh or buzz lightyear when there's so much unreleased vintage stuff that should be covered first. i guess they feel they have to cover their bases.

i do like that picture of randy thornton! why not throw him into our bounce house pintabulous death-match?

did you pick up any of the new merch? pricey, but thoses monorails are the coolest thing i've ever seen released. i just got the set of two.

i like the ticket booths too, but i'm saving my pennies til the next batch gets released.

I like that it has new stuff too. Disneyland's not a hermetically sealed place in a bottle.

We may go overboard on the nostalgia trip, as Tiki Centralites. But Disneyland is for the young. I'm glad to have new stuff all the time in the park, and I'll be awful glad to be able to share this album with my daughter. This disc set is a good mix of old and new.

I like that!

T

BB - you already know how I feel about the old stuff - so I won't rehash that again!

I would like to hear a full stereo flowthrough of Circarama, however....

And yes - I knew you would have a special place in your heart for that photo, tiki1963! Good info though - looks like they had a good guy do this one. The book looks like it will be good as well....

I'd love to get that Tomorrowland ticket booth - but it was all I could do to wrangle a copy of the limited CD set... I'm saving my pennies for the Barker Bird, Host Shirt, A-Frame (that's right BB - THE DAMN A FRAME!!!!!), Tangaroa lamp, etc... This is gonna be tough to do with a baby on the way. Why couldn't the 50th have been last year?

On 2005-05-02 17:51, Tangaroa wrote:
Good info though - looks like they had a good guy do this one. The book looks like it will be good as well....

I'd love to get that Tomorrowland ticket booth - but it was all I could do to wrangle a copy of the limited CD set... I'm saving my pennies for the Barker Bird, Host Shirt, A-Frame (that's right BB - THE DAMN A FRAME!!!!!), Tangaroa lamp, etc...

Randy IS a good guy. Did you catch the part of the interview when he admitted he did this at home? This is a guy with a love of the material, he produced this project as a moonlight gig. He's a special guy.

Hey, I'm prolly getting that A-frame too, and maybe some tikis. And of course that shirt and my namesake.

Yep, it's the big bucks. But I'll be giving my cast member 35% discount some workout this year. (All of y'all can envy me now.)

:wink:

T

This is gonna be tough to do with a baby on the way. Why couldn't the 50th have been last year?

whoa! another one? man, yer keepin' yer lady busy!

the info booth and the tomorrowland booths are extremely cool. some of those booths in my photo collection should be made, like the space station X-1 space capsule booth!

BB- i whole heartedly understand that Disneyland was meant to expand and change. i just think that when you're releasing things for collectors, especially when the prices for said items begin to rise, understand who your selling to and cater to them. in other words, i believe they should release the material based on timeline and theme rather than just theme. i dunno, hearing something like the original "Rocket to the Moon" next to Buzz Lightyear ride eats into the historical vibe of the set. IMO

Well, you DID say you wanted stuff that's never been released before! How 'bout Buzz Lightyear! :wink:

I understand that people haven't yet developed (and may never) the fondness for Buzz Lightyear that they have for that annoying elevator music loop from the Peoplemover. :wink:

But I see this set as being about 50 years of Disneyland. Rather than the first 20 years of Disneyland, hermetically sealed. Yeah, new stuff gets greater leeway, and is next to the fondly remembered hit attractions of the past. The flops are excized, and the current attractions get kind of a pass, and don't have to prove worthy of inclusion. Lame old rides that broke down or are unmemorable remain excluded. There is no tribute to Phantom Boats, Midget Autopia, or the Hall of Aluminum Fame. Nor do we visit the Wizard of Bras or Aunt Jemimah's pancake house, or Rocket Rods or Light Magic.

It's the old and New of Disneyland. And thanks to modern technology, you can always burn yourself you own alternate version, and tell Buzz to take a hike.

T

well BB...i get ya.

as a disney-nazi purist, i suppose it's hard to consider recent history as part of disneyland...like it or not.

i will say that i'm not a COMPLETE crumegeon...i do think Indy and Tower of Terror are fantastic attractions with all of the flair and spirit what Disneyland started with. (of course, i wish they wetre based on Disney properties!)

and hey, i won't act offended in regards to your Peoplemover comment...cause that stuff ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I KNOW you know that peoplemover track as well as I do. I'm kind of gleefully glad it's on there, as it's a piece of music that I love to hate.

It was an "old and busted" piece of music when I was a kid, and it continued to make me laugh at the sorry old peoplemover until its dying day.

I am a curmugeonly anti-sentimentalist about Disneyland. I take a certain amount of glee in skewering some of the sacred cows of Disney fandom. (As with all disneyland fans) I am confident in the sureness that Walt would agree with ME, and say that anything past its prime should be ripped out, if there's a better attraction about to replace it.

(..not that anything should be replaced with NOTHING, see Tomorrowland circa 2000.)

But I totally embrace the new. I'm looking forward to the new things rumored to be coming to the parks, and I love that they're ADDING attractions again. I say, keep em coming!

By the same token, I LIKE the old stuff that's gone to Yesterland. It's just that I'm content to visit them in Yesterland, and I don't moan (too loudly) about things that are no longer there.

After all, there IS the CG animated ride-through of ATIS, if you get REALLY needy!

For some reason, this figurine captures Disney's Tomorrow Land, that I knew and loved.

T

unga...

yeah, i'm kinda amazed that something that obscure was produced. that kevin kidney guy really pulled the wool over someone's eyes!

the guy who designed that is rolly crump. that cool atmospheric style of 1967 tomorrowland was created mainly by rolly, george mcginnis and john hench. the amazing thing is how simple that style is. it really shows the lack of care the disney management have shown on the "new-new tomorrowland".

i'll take white, geometric spires over cheap, bronze spray paint any day!

[ Edited by: tiki1963 on 2005-05-03 10:22 ]

T

On 2005-05-03 10:21, tiki1963 wrote:
unga...

yeah, i'm kinda amazed that something that obscure was produced. that kevin kidney guy really pulled the wool over someone's eyes!

the guy who designed that is rolly crump. that cool atmospheric style of 1967 tomorrowland was created mainly by rolly, george mcginnis and john hench. the amazing thing is how simple that style is. it really shows the lack of care the disney management have shown on the "new-new tomorrowland".

i'll take white, geometric spires over cheap, bronze spray paint any day!

Yeah - I love it. When Kevin & Jody showed me this stuff, they mentioned showing this prototype to Rolly Crump, who promptly said, "But......why????"
Maybe to Rolly it is just an old outdated design - but to me it speaks volumes about what old Tomorrowland once was.... Hopefully with Space Mountain being repainted white again, and the addition of a new "1970s-esque" entry sign, they are getting back on track. Now they just have to put something decent in Innoventions!

BTW, the NEW music track for Space Mountain is wonderful.

Reminds me a bit of the Incredibles, some Forbidden Planet and old Johnny Williams' score for Lost In Space, too.

(The DAYTIME track, that is. Hint, hint.)

Really enjoying my music boxed set this morning.

[ Edited by: BarkerBird on 2005-05-03 11:41 ]

WOW, what a set.

Listening this morning, there's some REAL gems here. The ENTIRE Golden Horseshoe Revue!??!

Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland recreated as a ride-through sound adventure!!

All 3 Country Bear shows!!?!?

I'm not even mid-way through, and it's really a treasure-trove.

Love that book, too. It'll take awhile to go through that.

My thoughts? An INCREDIBLE bargain for all you get. THIS is the definitive audio history of Disneyland. Hours of stuff to wade though, and a lot of stuff I've never heard before.

The recreation of the Walt Disney album looks great, I'll have to play that too. What a great job they did reproducing that, with a fold out cover. MAN is it a nice set.

T

On 2005-05-03 11:39, BarkerBird wrote:
Really enjoying my music boxed set this morning.

[ Edited by: BarkerBird on 2005-05-03 11:41 ]

Arrrgh!!!! Still waiting for mine to be shipped......

I'm in Tomorrowland (on the album) now.

Great Caroussel of Progress restoration. Fantastic. Hmm... a strange, high-pitched whine in some of the voice tracks and sounds. But still great.

The Monorail Song is great. They should have the ride play that. I can't help but think that the popularity of this album will actually make some of these things change in the park.

I'm reading early reviews of the parade and fireworks show. Sounds like Disneyland REALLY socked it out of the park for the 50th. WOW.

T

whoa! man, i still am waiting on mine. it will prob be another week or two. well, enjoy it!

tandg- that new space mountain sign is awesome! i love dat! tre' cool!

On 2005-05-03 15:46, tiki1963 wrote:

tandg- that new space mountain sign is awesome!

Wait'll you see the other version!

T

On 2005-05-03 17:33, BarkerBird wrote:

On 2005-05-03 15:46, tiki1963 wrote:

tandg- that new space mountain sign is awesome!

Wait'll you see the other version!

what other version?

i like how tomorrowland is turning into Las Venus from the Jetsons...

Here's a question for Tangeroa.

It's meant to be a difficult question, just to make you wriggle a bit!

Knowing you're a super preservationist/nostalgist, here's a little question.

Supposing you were Eisner for a day. Would you put the Barker Bird back up there, with his original corny, borderline racist spiel?

To me, now it's just me maybe, the biggest flaw of the Barker Bird is that he's simply not funny. In the, ahem, accent department, time has not been kind to him and Jose. But that's nothing next to the fact that his patter is one stinker after another (or should I say "steeenker"), with the comic timing of Al Gore.

Just testing you. :wink:

I just can't see how he could be a plus for the audience. I think the spielling bird in front of the WDW Pirates is pretty lame too.

T

[ Edited by: Tangaroa 2008-06-25 20:22 ]

In a minute!

In fact, I don't know why they haven't done it. It's easy enough with today's technology.

I like your compromise on the Barker Bird. I can see that working.

Glad you're enjoying the boxed set. I haven't been reading the book, but at a casual glance I saw where it said that the Golden Horseshoe Revue visited the Nixon White House in 1980. You don't have to be a Disney expert to spot THAT one!

Editors are a good thing, I guess is the lesson there.

You know, someone at that opening of the Lucky Tiki mentioned that they just did a caberet show in hollywood that was a live tribute to the Enchanted Tiki Room.

Anyone on here involved in that?

As I go through this music set, I'm struck with the notion to mount a production of the Country Bear Jamboree. A kooky idea, to be sure. But a real hoot, for a one-night-only kind of project.

Amazing items.

Now this will date me, but I was at the opening day of Disneyland - yes I was 7 years old. And, I do have lots of original items from that day which I keep in a vault/safe, including the ticket that was issued "by invitation only". An Original Tinker Bell necklace and a pair of the "original" Mickey Mouse Ears are just some of the many items I have (the Ears are signed by Walt Disney and the first person to dress up as Mickey Mouse).

It is great to see that so many people still enjoy the "things of the past". I am sure many of you are not old enough to really remember the "original" Disneyland during the first 5 years it was open.

T

Wow - I envy you having been able to go inthe 50s & 60s - the glory years!

T

well, i take it all back (except for the frenzy baiting of the fans)...

i just got my claws on one of the musical history sets and it's pretty damn awesome! the layout of tracks are teriffic and the sound mix is unbelieveably great. Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland is absolutely superb.

the book is all i hoped it would be with great info and fantastic illustrations.

well worth every penny! in fact, i can say with some confidence that i would be willing to don ankle blades and cock-fight for it in Goofy's Bounce House if i had too. (that goes out to you, Tang)

ps...don't spread that offer around...it may give disney management ideas!

enjoy!

T

Yeah - but here's a game for you tiki1963 - play "How many illustrations by Marc Davis can be incorrectly attributed to other artists & vice-versa?"

Hours of fun will be had!

T

yeah, noticed that. also, 'artist unknown' credits are given to pieces by hench and bushman.

that crazy bushman tomorrowland drawing is really cool. it's pretty close to that one i have of the entry way.

news flash: the first, red monorail just showed up via USPS. man, master replicas is incredible! this is by far, the coolest piece of park merchandise for all time, next to the adventureland tru-vue gun! the 'all metal' body (except trim) is a definite plus.

Tang- it's almost worth digging into your kid's college fund for! tell your wife that owning these will make you a better husband and father!

btw, met Kevin and Jody at Tiki Ti the other nite. nice fellers. really, sick how disney didn't even comp them on any of the merch. they had to order some just like everyone else. the company is such a class act these days....

I love the music collection.

I think the monorail is something I'd have to see before I bought it.

Yeah, this stuff is fantastic. I'm loving this whole 50th thing.

As far as the company goes, it depends on where in the company you work. I can't complain.

T

On 2005-05-06 15:12, BarkerBird wrote:
I love the music collection.

I think the monorail is something I'd have to see before I bought it.

Yeah, this stuff is fantastic. I'm loving this whole 50th thing.

As far as the company goes, it depends on where in the company you work. I can't complain.

barker-

trust me, the monorails are unbelievably great. if your an employee, take that 35% and let go of some well spent cash. these put the old schuco monorails to shame. they are fragile though and you need to be careful displaying them. and, the master replicas packaging makes them seem like you just bought something from the Smithsonian.

man, if these sell well, it would be awesome if they made an electric set out of them a'la schuco.

now, on to the Tiki stuff! man, i'm gonna be so broke i won't be able to pay attention!

T

Barker - tiki1963 is right - the Monorails are total Godhead... I've seen 'em & they are worth it! I'd be all over that if I wasn't trying to save up for the Barker Bird & Host shirt...

T

well, i still have yet to have enough time to go thru the cd's. there is really an amazing amount of care and good taste in these. if anyone is second guessing this set, dont! it is worth every penny!

Tang- a couple of questions for you:

1. did you ever have a complete version of the '67 Flight to the Moon soundtrack before this set? i didn't and this one is just fantastic.

2. do you know if there was ever a film version of the ride that had the surface camera attacked by some type of crazy alien? keep in mind it is VERY possible i may have experienced such a thing on the ride under the influence of 'happy enhancers'.

3. do you have a version of the '55 Flight to the Moon soundtrack other than the '55 OPening Day film and the '57 television show on space. (record version i know is recreated).

4. do you have any (or know where) one could find photos of the '67 waiting/queue area, before you go into Mission Control?

T

Well - I am just getting around to listening to it now!

It is very nice.... And I admit, I am not obsessed enough with Rocket To The Moon/Mission To Mars to readily tell the difference quickly - but I'll tell ya what I do have:

TWA Rocket To The Moon (Queue SFX) 3:24 TWA Rocket To The Moon TWA Rocket To The Moon - Tomorrowland Theme Park Audio

TWA Rocket To The Moon (Rocket SFX) 3:01 TWA Rocket To The Moon TWA Rocket To The Moon - Tomorrowland Theme Park Audio

TWA Rocket To The Moon 11:04 TWA Rocket To The Moon TWA Rocket To The Moon - Tomorrowland Theme Park Audio

Disneyland - Douglas Rocket To The Moon (excerpt) 2:27 Various live recordings 1962 Los Angeles Camera Sound Effects Tourist attraction audio

I don't know if that matches what you have.... Actually, I think (and Atomobile may be able to correct me here) that Stacia MArtin may have re-created the female hostess voice for the box set... But I'm just guessing....

E Ticket Issue #24 has some good color pics of the queue:
http://www.the-e-ticket.com/Issue_page_24.html
and here are some images that are handy:

T

yeah, it's weird because the Tomorrowland kiosk soundtrack of the Rocket to the Moon is different from the Dateline Disneyland version.

i too wondered about the 'live' hostess in this new version of Flight to the Moon. out of all of them, i like this one best...really, a superb job.

i ask about the 67 queue area in that i picked up the DC-88 Mars Cruiser that is shown in the original film and was on display in the queue area. now that i have the 'complete' 67 soundtrack, the rocket is mentioned in the Mission Control section. later, when the ride's mission was diverted to Mars, that DC-88 rocket became the main vehicle you were supposed to be riding in.

the sickness just won't end......

T

yes. you just "picked it up".

Sweet merciful crap.

T

oh, believe me my fellow sinner....mercy has NOTHING to do with it! :wink:

T

So let's see it!

Since we have gone completely off-topic here...

T

On 2005-05-09 16:28, Tangaroa wrote:
So let's see it!

Since we have gone completely off-topic here...

thar she blows....

T

Wowwwwww... really cool!

A
aquarj posted on Mon, May 9, 2005 9:51 PM

When my package recently arrived from Disney, my eager anticipation wheezed out like the air from discarded bagpipes as I saw the condition and quality of the object inside. Having seen Kevin's prototype and truly admired Rolly Crump's work, I thought it was a great opportunity to get a scale version of the Tomorrowland ticket booth. Those sweeping lines, those strong colors, that... crummy paint job?

Is it me, or is that near post actually bent?

On top of everything else, it seems as though they tossed it in its packaging while the paint was still wet, because the styrofoam pattern is actually molded into the paint, as are the creases from the plastic bag it was partially wrapped in.

I almost hope Kevin and Jody don't see any of the final products, because it must be pretty frustrating to see this kind of low quality. Weird, because some of the Disney collectible stuff is really outstanding quality product from their beautiful work. Let's hope hope hope that the Tiki Room stuff is NOT produced by the same manufacturer!

**UPDATE (posted below too) - Disney Direct provided a replacement free of charge.

-Randy

[ Edited by: aquarj on 2005-06-06 00:09 ]

Thanks for the warning, Randy.

That's why I like to see these collector things before I get them. It's a very wide range of things you're likely to get.

I've seen good items, and I've seen crummy items, and the price never seems to be a good indicator of which is which.

Take, for example, the miniature main St and castle currently sold. That miniature is AMAZING, especially considering the price.

$195.00!!! The best disneyland miniature on the market.

Wow Randy - I am really surprised by that... especially at a price of $60 plus shipping...

Are they going to replace it for you?

even in the catalog photo, the Rocket to the Moon lamp had me think twice about buying it.

the painting and un-even quality of the sculpture looked a little amateur.

hope you get it replaced.

[ Edited by: tiki1963 on 2005-05-10 11:45 ]

I would really think that this is an anomaly - I know Kevin & Jody have really high standards... I would bet that this is not the norm for this collection!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 375 replies