Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

mixing drinks

Pages: 1 8 replies

A

Is it proper to make each drink in a shaker, or 2? Sometimes it seems to overfill the shaker even after shaking, even though there's not that much in there. Mixing each drink per shaker certainly adds work and time in serving.

DZ

One drink at a time.

If you take pride in your mixing skills, then each drink should be a handcrafted work of art, worthy of all the attention you can give it. (No 'flair', no 'free-pour' - be careful and attentive) Sure it takes extra work and extra time, but aren't the folks you're making the drinks for worth it? If it overflows the glass, you may not be measuring correctly. Slow down - you can't rush an artist. They'll wait for your best, trust me.

F

I totaly agree, Dr. Z. It's all about pride and making an impression. What's cooler than pouring liquer into a shaker and then straining it out into a cocktail glass where everything fills up to the perfect level just like you were a pro! Then after you repeat it two or three times in a row your guests will really think your good!

S

I rarely make a single drink at a time. I usually make two of whatever I am making. Usually there is someone to sahre with or three, and it makes getting the measure right eaiser. I have a 1 oz 3/4 oz jigger and where drinks call for 1/2 oz, I have it covered when I double. When it calls for 1 1/2 oz, same thing. It makes most easier and you get a more accurate drink.

And if no one is around, I drink both...

As for overflowing, it should not be an issue if you are making 2, but 3 or 4 times will.

H

The first round of drinks I make for folks, I do as singles, and there's often a bit left over that doesn't fit in the glass/mug, I put that little bit aside into a cup, and by the time I'm done with the first round, there's a drink for me.

When making second rounds, I do refills and top offs, sometimes making doubles, though often I don't need to. Once everyone has a drink in their hand, it's more important to be able to kick back & relax a bit with everyone while still keeping the drinks flowing. Plus, topping people off lets people have a little bit more without having to have an entire drink.

R

I agree wholeheartedly with Dr.Z. On several occasions he has made me excellent drinks individually at The Castaway Lounge. It does make you feel nice to see someone take the time and effort to ask what you want and then make you "your" drink (even though you are part of a large gathering).

That being said, Swanky and Humuhumu have excellent points as well, especially when making the same drink for several people or "topping-off". I think the real key to making drinks either way is to measure your drink's ingredients correctly. As Beachbum Berry states in the "Grog Log","A dash too much of any one ingredient can easily destroy the delicate balance of flavors in a drink, so measure every ingredient carefully." The beachbum couldn't be more right.

These worthy replies humble this grasshopper. Much to ponder. Thank you my brothers.

I've got it!
Make them one at a time 'till everyon'es sloshed, then bring out the blender & bowl! No one'll know if they're a little off by then :wink:

P
pablus posted on Fri, Jul 1, 2005 1:41 PM

I usually make whatever the recipe is times 20 - 25. I also usually make 3 recipes - one sweet - one sour - one bittersweet.

I put them into some ornamental bowls or a calabash and use a wire whip to mix them.

Generally I'll put some ice cubes into the mix to chill the ingredients.

I serve the first one and they help themselves after that.

There's no way to have 20 people over and do food and play ukes and swim AND mix drinks on the fly.

Dr. Z is right about each drink having a special flavor when made individually, but I have to sacrifice that in order to not be standing over the liquor the whole night.

However - for 2-6 guests I will do individual drinks.

P.S. Swanky is a lime-hater. Just thought everyone needed to know that.

Pages: 1 8 replies