Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Tiki Finger Food

Pages: 1 19 replies

(Couldn't find this topic discussed but I admit, I didn't spend all day looking). Anybody have a good tiki finger food recipe that drunk people can eat in your new tiki basement without making a big mess?

I thank you.

My future, drunk guests thank you.

P

a simple shrimp cocktail.
Even better: pretzels

B

Yeah, nothing screams "Tiki" like pretzels.
And I don't know about you but I'd rather not have cocktail sauce and shrimp tails on my new carpet.

These come to mind. Trader Vic's Cheese Balls

P

i just had a strange revelation.
At your party, serve banana slices on tooth picks

The thread Food: Puu-Puu Platter brought up some good ideas.

And don't forget the Cheese-Paté Pineapple

[ Edited by: UtopianDreem 2006-03-09 15:22 ]

T

These are not really hawaiian. but good/easy. First take one of those small loaves of french bread, about 2-3 inches around. Slice 3/4 of an inch. Now butter one side. Then sprinkle with A spice called sandwich sprinkle. (It is made by penzeys spices) All you need to do now is broil till toasty. the best thing is you can slice bread before it gets stale, And freeze Slices till needed. You can also use same bread same cut. But top with apricot preserves, now add 1/4 inch slice of brie. place in broiler toast. Heres a dip.1 lb Cream cheese,1/4 lb margarine, Both soft. mix well. Place cheese marg mix in serving dish. Now top with 10 ounce jar of rothschilds hot pepper raspberry preserves. Serve with wheat thins. Done.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2006-03-09 15:51 ]

G

I have found that sushi with wasabi and soy sauce makes an excellent complement to tropical rum drinks. My local grocery stores carry a decent, though not top quality, selection. If you really want to go crazy (and you should), pick up a copy of Beachbum Berry's Taboo Table. Even if you don't make anything from it, it's a fun read.

Hmmmm... What I need is pupu platter-flavored pretzels. The cheesy pineapple looks awesome. Definitely one I'd have to practice. I have to admit, I'm too much of a wuss to eat sushi; can't make myself do it. Fish does seem like a natural tiki food--but how? Maybe freeze-dried fish sticks! The apricot brie is yummers--just not on my new rug.

Any other suggestions? thanks again.

If you have Trader Joe's markets where you live... There's your answer.
They have a great selection of frozen party treats. Coconut shrimp, pot stickers, dim sum. An now they have this amazing coconut ice cream that comes in little half coconut shell cups. Mmmmmm.
Aloha,
:tiki:

On 2006-03-09 19:29, pappythesailor wrote:
...I have to admit, I'm too much of a wuss to eat sushi; can't make myself do it. Fish does seem like a natural tiki food--but how?

Pappy, it doesn't have to be raw fish on the sushi. Sushi is the rice that you make it with, sashimi is raw fish. Try using smoked salmon, or crab salad, or "California Roll" (crab, avocado & cucumber, often with cream cheese). Or you could make Hawaiian Musubi, which is a rice pad topped with fried Spam, linguica (Portugese) sausage, or chicken katsu.

J

Two words pappy - Aloha Dip. My wife said she threw out the dip I took to Bargoyle's, but I just pulled it out from the far reaches of the fridge. MMM - nothing like 2 month old cream and blue cheese. Shall I bring it by?

Seriously though, I'm guessing anything that doesn't involve red sauce or oyster sauce should be safe. Maybe some wontons, beef terriyaki, chicken fingers, cut fruit (pineapple a must of course), cheese, pepperoni and crackers. Yeah its not all very tiki, but its safe.

G

On 2006-03-09 19:29, pappythesailor wrote:
I have to admit, I'm too much of a wuss to eat sushi; can't make myself do it. Fish does seem like a natural tiki food--but how?

Try the sushi after a few zombies. At that point, you'll probably try anything. Fish is a natural tiki food for the same reason fish floats and outrigger canoes are a natural decoration for tiki bars.

... peanuts, of course... let your guests shell 'em and wolf 'em down...

... the shells?...

... the shells drop to the floor and, well, texture...

On 2006-03-10 14:28, johnman wrote:
Two words pappy - Aloha Dip. My wife said she threw out the dip I took to Bargoyle's, but I just pulled it out from the far reaches of the fridge. MMM - nothing like 2 month old cream and blue cheese. Shall I bring it by?

Seriously though, I'm guessing anything that doesn't involve red sauce or oyster sauce should be safe. Maybe some wontons, beef terriyaki, chicken fingers, cut fruit (pineapple a must of course), cheese, pepperoni and crackers. Yeah its not all very tiki, but its safe.

Two words: Eeeeeee-eeeeww! Yeah, that aloha dip was good when it was young. What's the recipe?

Yeah, peanuts vacuum up nice. Except for those terrible Spanish peanuts. How I hate them...

Lots of ideas, Ohana --more!

W

Heres my suggestion as posted in the thread What food do you serve at your tiki bar?

"Edamame...Green soybeans in the pod. You can buy the frizzed bags of them at Asian grocers and usually in the health food section of big grocery stores. Dump a bag into boiling water, boil 'til the beans is hot (not cooked), give 'em a quick rinse in cold water (just to cool 'em down a bit so they don't bite fingers), dump into some swell monkey pod bowl you bought but never used for anything and sprinkle big salts over the top. Have another bowl for the shells. They're easy as heck to make...Even with a buzz on...And everyone I've served these to have loved 'em."

IZ

On 2006-03-11 05:08, woofmutt wrote:

"[i]Edamame...Green soybeans in the pod.

I agree. These are really yummy, and like chips, they can get kinda addictive, though much healthier than chips.

And it's funny that someone named "woofmutt" would post this suggestion because my dachshund Pago Pago just goes crazy over Edamame!

On 2006-03-11 05:08, woofmutt wrote:
Heres my suggestion as posted in the thread What food do you serve at your tiki bar?

"Edamame...Green soybeans in the pod. You can buy the frizzed bags of them at Asian grocers and usually in the health food section of big grocery stores. Dump a bag into boiling water, boil 'til the beans is hot (not cooked), give 'em a quick rinse in cold water (just to cool 'em down a bit so they don't bite fingers), dump into some swell monkey pod bowl you bought but never used for anything and sprinkle big salts over the top. Have another bowl for the shells. They're easy as heck to make...Even with a buzz on...And everyone I've served these to have loved 'em."

Mmmmm... All the savory goodness of lima beans but with a funnier name. Soybeans-- A Polynesian favorite since 2004!

IZ

On 2006-03-11 18:16, pappythesailor wrote:

Mmmmm... All the savory goodness of lima beans but with a funnier name. Soybeans-- A Polynesian favorite since 2004!

Oh, much better than Lima Beans.

No really, these things are GOOD! Try 'em out!

How about hule hule chicken? There are several recipes on the internet. Or you can make up your own based on what you'vw got on hand, like I do. Where it calls for whole or quarter chickens substitute thighs or tenders or something.

Also, you can get bags of edimame (both with the shell and already shelled) at Trader Joes if you have one near you.

I ended up taking Tiki Royale's advice and buying a bunch of frozen stuff at Trader Joe's. Our local one has a South Pacific theme. Fun, fun. We also ordered Pu Pu Platter stuff from the Kahula (which depressed me no end--used to be Tiki, now is all red silk and gold dragons--waaah!)

Pages: 1 19 replies