Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 927 replies

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, May 3, 2006 8:46 AM

I love what you are doing on these skulls. Whats one thing that we all have and can't see...skulls.

Your background project?- is it the scrolling fence behind the skulls in the last pic.

H

Great mugs! Love them! I'll be checking your site often to see what's available so I can grab one for myself!! Also, your website looks great! Congrats!!

H

Are these mugs for display only?

I stumbled across the following statement in regards to food grade glaze. Perhaps you can ease my concerns.

http://www.7ceramic.com/catalogs/web/CS04_05E.pdf

Not all ceramic glazes contain lead compounds and extremely few contain cadmium. Whether or not such glazes could be used on food containers is listed on their individual labels. Well formulated glazes will result in a stable surface which will not dissolve in contact with foods. Most glazes are subjected to lead release testing by an independent , approved laboratory to establish the dinnerware status of each glaze by passing the guidelines established by the FDA for dinnerware glazes. However, in view of the new reduced guidelines established by the FDA in November 1991 and due to many variables that can affect lead leachability in finished ware (exact firing temperature, contamination from other ware being fired in the kiln, etc.) It is recommended that the pro-ducer of any for sale dinnerware have it tested for leachable lead by an approved laboratory to determine whether or not it meets FDA guidelines in its own category BEFORE IT IS PUT ON THE MARKET.Some glazes are not suitable for use on food contact services. Glazes that contain a crackle materials and textured surfaces are difficult to clean within the cracks and can be soft and corroded if used frequently.It is impossible for any glaze manufacturer to guarantee the finished properties of its products since application and firing are critical factors over which the supplier has no control. Tableware producers are respon-sible for complying with FDA guidelines for lead release. Any statements concerning dinnerware safety must be confirmed by the producer of the products through lead release testing by an approved laboratory.

V

On 2006-05-03 13:36, Hakalugi wrote:
Are these mugs for display only?

I stumbled across the following statement in regards to food grade glaze. Perhaps you can ease my concerns.

Aloha Hakalugi -

I appreciate your concerns - they are well founded! All the glazes I use in my studio are certified food safe and lead free by their manufacturers (Laguna, Amaco, and Duncan). The only chemical you need to worry about when drinking from a VanTiki mug is alcohol! :) I understand where the passage you quoted is coming from in regards to getting tableware tested for leeching lead compounds, but as a backyard hobbyist I can't afford it. As I don't mix my own glazes, and only use certified lead free glazes, I figure I am in the clear. If you want more info on the specific glazes I use feel free to PM me. PS - I love your username!

Mahalo,
VanTiki

Reader's Digest-ive...

• teaKEY

"what you are doing on these skulls"

• HonuTiki

"I can grab one for myself"

• Hakalugi

"I stumbled across "food grade glaze"

• VanTiki

"I appreciate your concerns" a VanTiki mug is alcohol" I can't afford it"

j0nz saiz, "freezer safe for custard" hows about a pie" where's midnite...midnite likes pie" lots and lots of pie or a good club sandwich"

...I hope this clarifies all safety concerns. If headache or nausea persists try "any of a series of volatile hydroxyl compounds that are made from hydrocarbons by distillation"

Flip-fl0p-fLipPp.... :D :drink: :D

F

On 2006-05-02 12:21, VanTiki wrote:

PPS - added bonus point for anyone who can recognize my little project in the background. Not exactly tiki... :)

It's a runner on Santa's sleigh.

I can't believe how cool those skulls look, nice work!!

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2006-05-03 15:47 ]

V

Just unloaded batch #2 from the final glaze fire! here are the results:

Really stoked about these - I'll be sending e-mails today for those who pre-ordered mugs, and the rest will be up on the site soon. So hard to wait for the kiln to cool - could barely sleep last night! :)

VanTiki

T

WOW!!!!!!! those skulls came out awesome!! actually, all of your mugs did, but the skulls are too cool!!

awesome work, vt! the red pongos look great. i can't wait to add a few more to my collection.

H

Awesome batch!! The skulls rule!!

K

Those are outstanding mugs. They look huge, I wonder how big they are. I can't wait to a few of them. Great work.

On 2006-05-05 13:31, kbgator wrote:
Those are outstanding mugs. They look huge, I wonder how big they are. I can't wait to a few of them. Great work.

all are under 6 inches and easily fit in your hand. check 'em out here: http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/tikimugs.html

P
pdrake posted on Fri, May 5, 2006 3:33 PM

please to be selling me a mug.

K

How did I miss this post!!! Those are the toughest looking mugs I have seen. I want one!!

V

You folks are too kind! Mahallo with a double L for all the kind words and interest! I photographed the mugs yesterday, and couldn't help clicking away at the mass of mugs that is batch #2 before they get separated and shipped off to their new homes:

I hope to get the website updated real soon, but Ms. Vantiki (the brains of this outfit) is off at class and can't fiddle with the site just yet. I appreciate everyone's patience - these things take a while to finish.

Mahalo,
VanTiki

R

Freaking amazing!!!

Hey VanTiki,

Remember that TV commercial a few years back where the little start-up company gets their website's online ordering up and running and, to their horror, the orders pour in buy the thousands? Well HANG ON TIGHT! Your mugs are/will be HOT!

Silver- looking for something to sell so I can get one myself -Line

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2006-05-07 11:57 ]

V

Okey-Dokey - Time for a VanTiki Update!

First off - was able to get away from my real job long enough to put together 3 new Pongo Log Mugs:

One is spoken for already, but the other two will find their way into the galley of available work in a week or two (most likely two).

Secondly, I see posters that are much more savvy than I changing the topic title when they update the thread (ie: "new photos on pg. 3!") - how do you folks do that?! Please share the secrets....

Lastly, here is the happy artist in his studio (a candid moment captured by the very sneaky Ms. VanTiki):

Mahalo!

VanTiki

WOW!! Your work just blows me away. Those mugs not only look freaking unbelivable they are so original and have so much character. I would be very intersted in purchasing one from you if you have one available. Just shoot me a PM if you feel like it. Thank you for sharing photo's of your work.
Later,
Spermy

Hey VT! Stuff is looking as awesome as ever. Very anxious to get our trade on, now that I'm back in town.

To update the thread's title, just go to the first post you made in that thread and choose "edit". You are then given the chance to edit the first post as well as the title bar.

keep up the aorsome work!
-Joe

wow,
great mugs.
finally something original.
allthough i must say that the skulls wee even better looking in their natural clay n porcelain look.
would be very interested in buying a skull one in red???

superelectric
amsterdam

V

Aloha All!

Did some Trepanning Accident skulls yesterday to fill some orders and get some more goodies in the VanTiki gallery. Here are some shots of the fresh clay mugs on the drying shelf (took shots with flash and without for your viewing pleasure):

Had fun with this bunch - will be ready to fire in less than a week (heating up here in the islands - its about time!)

Mahalo for the support!

VanTiki

PS - the mugs are surrounded by the tiles I am making for our new bathroom. As you can imagine, it is taking WAY longer than we thought to get them finished!

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 24, 2006 7:40 AM

Wow - awesome mugs! I love the fact they all look the same but are still unique.

The skulls look awesome!

I didn't see a post about this so I thought I'd ask: are the Trepanning Accident mugs designed for "Smoke" effects? It looks like you could put about 1/2 oz of water and a dry ice chip into those "Dimples" in the cheeks. Of course you could always put a little 151 in there & light it, but who ever heard of a skull with flaming cheeks?

V

On 2006-05-24 08:02, freddiefreelance wrote:
I didn't see a post about this so I thought I'd ask: are the Trepanning Accident mugs designed for "Smoke" effects? It looks like you could put about 1/2 oz of water and a dry ice chip into those "Dimples" in the cheeks. Of course you could always put a little 151 in there & light it, but who ever heard of a skull with flaming cheeks?

Aloha Freddie - very cool idea - but sadly it won't work. The cheekbone "arch" (zygomatic bone? any doctors out there?) has a hole at the bottom, just like a real skull. Sorry!

VanTiki

V

Update time for those who have pre-ordered mugs (and you know who you are! :) )

Loaded the kiln with Batch #3 - three Pongo Mugs (all claimed by Tiki Centralites) and 5 Trepanning Accidents (3 are still up for grabs). Here they are nestled in the kiln:

A big Mahalo to those who pre-ordered for your patience - the mugs should be ready to ship at the end of the week.

VanTiki

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2006-05-30 11:47 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jun 1, 2006 12:06 AM

I dont know what glazes are available, but those blue lighted ones look kool! Maybe add some blue pearl into the skull glaze! I reckon that would look awesome!

Holy Skull fractures! Thos are crazy go nuts!!! I am with Spermy very unique and filled with personality! I got to pick one of them up!!
I really like the texture and detail. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.
Keep on crankin'

Chongolio

V

Aloha all -

took batch #3 out of the kiln on Friday - here is a shot of some of the colorful results:

The three pongo mugs already have a home, but there will be a Trepanning Accident skull or two on the site in an hour or so. Those TC members who pre-ordered mugs, I'll be packing them up today and getting shipping quotes for you!

Mahalo,
VanTiki

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jun 5, 2006 8:21 PM

Cool mugs man! Liking them more and more each time I look at em! :)

Those mugs are Sweet!!! I can't wait to get my hands on one!!! Thank you for posting pic's!!!

V

I'm down with a skull mug for sure! those are sweet!!! Cool name by the way!!

K
kctiki posted on Tue, Jun 6, 2006 4:27 AM

VanTiki, all I can say is wow!

I was thinking these take me back to the monster movie mag days of childhood. Then I checked your website and, lo and behold, I find you formerly created rubber monster movie masks. Phenomenal talent - thanks so much for bringing these beauties into the world.

V

On 2006-06-05 21:36, VonTiki wrote:
I'm down with a skull mug for sure! those are sweet!!! Cool name by the way!!

Ha! That's too funny - I had no idea there was a VonTiki at TC! We are long lost Tiki brothers. My moniker is a play on my dutch name - but I have always wished I was a "Von" instead of a "Van" :)

Mahalo for all the kind words. kctiki - so good to hear that my mugs invoke an old-timey monster movie feel!

I hope to have a few new and different items up in the next week or so. Your support and encouragement is SO motivating - Mahalo!

VanTiki

T

Jumpin' Cats! Those are really awesome mugs! I gotta admit, I am a bit tempted to pick one or 4 up.

I have to admit that I haven't read through the whole thread, but I'm assuming these are safe to drink out of? I can just imagine bringing up a gigantic skull or tiki mug to my lips and sucking out - what else - Hawaiian punch! The Red color in there would be too groovy.

Fantastic work.

V

On 2006-06-06 15:29, Timbone wrote:
Jumpin' Cats! Those are really awesome mugs! I gotta admit, I am a bit tempted to pick one or 4 up.

I have to admit that I haven't read through the whole thread, but I'm assuming these are safe to drink out of?

Mahalo TimBone! The mugs are all food safe - high fire ceramics with lead free glaze. Fill with punch (or a poison of your choice) to your heart's content :)

VanTiki

PS - great tiki girl sculpt!

[ Edited by: VanTiki 2006-06-06 20:31 ]

SsweeetT stuff Vantiki...is that a Mango Pongo I see?
What'cha got cookin in da test kitchen,brah??

Flip-flop-flipPp...

Geocaching explorer 'Vantiki' lost in deepest dark jungle...possible victim of trepanning skull accident??? :o

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

TD

man are those things looking good! i like how the colors on them too. keep them comming.

V

Aloha all!

Whew! Sorry for the long absence - I was kidnapped by my day job! Was finally able to get some studio time in this week, and I finished a batch of crazy Jabber Pod mugs yesterday. Here is a peek at the drying clay:

So nice to have clay all over me (and my studio, and my iPod, and my house) again! Will be crafting more tiki goodness over the next few days. I'll post pictures as more tikis take shape!

Mahalo!

The Long Lost VanTiki

M

How do I get one!!!!
What's the price???

wow those are good! if i could i would definately buy one. but untill then all i can do is just marvel at them. good job

VanTiki,
I love my Trepanning Accident mug and must have a Pongo Log too now. One question though -- one of the pre-glaze pictures made the teeth look a different color, but it doesn't look this is preserved after the glaze. I'd like to get one in either case, but by any chance are you doing any with different colored teeth? I really like the effect of this on the skulls.

P.S. I'd love to see what you could do with a monkey theme. You know, I'm just sayin....

V

Aloha all!

More studio goodies - this time a crop of three moist clay Pongo Logs freshly plucked from the dark jungles of VanTiki Island:

MonkeySkull - good call on the teeth difference in the wet clay. I make the Pongo teeth out of porcelain (just like your Trepanning Accident), and while the difference is subtle after glazing I plan on trying a new application with one of these guys to highlight the tooth-i-ness.

More pics soon!

Mahalo,
VanTiki

V

Yesterday I added a sad looking pair of Trepanning Accidents to the drying table:

Mahalo,
VanTiki

H
hewey posted on Fri, Jul 14, 2006 6:44 PM

Monkeys are always cool

some more killer mugs in the making... :)

man are those cool. vantiki you have some skill going there...i mean you have ALOT of skill going there. good job and keep it up

V

Aloha All,

I've been meaning to do some tests on the Pongo Log glazes to accentuate the porcelain teeth, and MonkeySkull was kind enough to encourage me to finally do it! Here is the Pongo Log painted with Velvet Underglazes:

Now, the photo is of raw, unfired glaze. The neat thing about the velvet underglazes, though, is that they don't change color during firing. The dilemma I currently face is weather or not I should clear-coat the entire mug, or just the inside. "Food Safe" standards require the entire mug to be coated with a gloss or semi-gloss glaze. This would darken the colors (think of when you apply a polyurethane coat to wood) and take away the neat "velvet" finish that the underglaze is named for. The upside of coating the whole thing is it would be a lot easier to clean and would feel a lot smoother in the hand. I could just coat the inside - but the mug would be difficult to clean and would not be "to code" on food safe standards.

I have a feeling the little angel on my shoulder will win this one out and I will clear coat the whole mug. I'll post photos of the fired mug soon!

Mahalo,
VanTiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 927 replies