Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 927 replies

Crazy kool

Why not use different clay for the teeth?

V

Mad Dog - I usually keep them loosely wrapped, and peek every few days to see how things are progressing. With big mugs I want to make sure that the weight of the piece is not hindering the base from sliding along the shelf while the mug is shrinking. I stick a small bit of canvas between the mug and the shelf to aid in sliding, and I pick the mug up every day to relieve any tension.

Aloha Station - I do have a bin of pre-made porcelain teeth in the studio - it just so happened that none of them fit the style I was going for on this piece, so I opted for shaping them out of the clay I was using for the mug.

Henrik "VanTiki"

V

So, for those of you who thought I was exaggerating when I said the 2nd mug I started last week was big, I snapped a shot with a soda can for scale reference:

Bam! Finished wet sculpt stands a whopping 14" tall! I may go back tomorrow and add some cracks in the "wood" - Or I may lust leave it as it is :) May I present: Don't Wake The Idol!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

Oh I get it ~ awake on one side and sleeping on the other. Very cool. Good to see you posting Henrik :)

That's what I'm talking about: the odd one is pretty big and the big one is pretty odd, but either way you look at it, the work is beautiful.

HT

That's awesome, man.

That is beautiful. damn!

Amazing!

And that big mug is HUGE!

V

Mahalo everyone!

Bit of a studio setback: my kiln isn't getting hot! Well, it is, but veeeeeery slowly. I had to order new relays and thermocouples for it, so I won't be able to cook all the new goodies for a week or so. More time to sculpt!

Henrik "VanTIki"

That mug is not that big...cans in Hawaii are Barbie sized :wink:

Great new pieces my friend!

Did you ever glaze those shelves?

P

On 2012-11-20 12:40, VanTiki wrote:
Mahalo everyone!

Bit of a studio setback: my kiln isn't getting hot! Well, it is, but veeeeeery slowly. I had to order new relays and thermocouples for it, so I won't be able to cook all the new goodies for a week or so. More time to sculpt!

Henrik "VanTIki"

Weird, that seems to be going around.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=38423&forum=18&vpost=658724

V

GREAT news: my kiln works! After swapping out the elements, relays, and thermocouples I was able to crank it up to cone five and cook this:

Yaay! ShelfTiki #1! Stoked with the way it turned out. Plan on making a few more variants in various scales.

Mahalo -
Henrik "VanTiki"

G
GROG posted on Wed, Dec 5, 2012 2:53 PM

AWESOME!!!

I agree - Excellent!

Wow! Awesome stuff as always!

It's fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing the fish shelf, too.

Most amazing indeed

C
cy posted on Wed, Dec 5, 2012 8:30 PM

Agreed, great work VanTiki. The colors are perfecto!

T

Amazing. As I mentioned (albeit via a different name) on FB, this shelf provides many answers (and solutions). :) Look forward to seeing other ones, too!

way cool love it

HT

Great Tiki and shelf design.

V

Mahalo everyone!

I'm really excited about exploring other shelf designs. I've been on a wall-hanging kick lately, as I have no more shelf space over here - and plenty of wall space! Now that the kiln is running smoothly I can start having some shelf fun. Sadly, with the pile of "Day Job" holiday illustrations and animations I have to do in the next few weeks, I won't get studio time till after xmas.

Mele Kalikimaka!
Henrik "VanTIki"

V

Good grief! My last mug post was in 2012?! I have been on the computer far too long this year!

In an attempt to rectify the situation, allow me to share some of the mugs I've been making for Tiki Oasis 2013. Seeing that the the theme this year is Hulabilly, I felt that instead of Tiki Mugs, perhaps I should create a few Tiki JUGS.

We start with a few slabs rolled out to a nice thickness (note the wood strips I set on the table to keep things even when when rolling). Yes, that is a square, and yes, I am that anal when cutting an assembling the base shapes for mugs :)

Once I calculate the lengths of the slab needed for the diameter of the jug I want to make, I carefully cut the slab. I'm using Laguna B-Mix paper clay with grog for these jugs

I then carefully roll up the slab and voila!

OK - there are a few more steps involved with getting the basic jug forms - I just forgot to snap pictures! Here is Jug#1 roughed out, before the final detail pass (had to let it firm up a bit before detailing)

Finished Tiki Jug #1:

Finished Tiki Jug #2:

I plan on doing a third for Oasis - I'm just not decided yet on the imagery. Stone idol? Zombie? Shrunked head? So many options! Ms. VanTiki has insisted that #3 be smaller.

Mahalo for looking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

T

Looks great- and now you can ignore the question I wrote on your FB page (curious if you built the jug out of a slab). :)

"I then carefully roll up the slab and voila! "

yes..its just THAT easy :wink:

They look awesome!

It is no less than we would expect of a Tiki Jug from the legendary VanTiki!

C
cy posted on Tue, Jun 18, 2013 1:06 PM

Your tiki jugs are fantastic VanTiki!

HT

Gives a whole new meaning to show me your jugs.

Maybe a moai jug? or a little more tiki/hulabilly hybrid.

Good thing I looked at your photos. Dan found a jug in his dads shed and we were about to mold it. Looking at your creations I think we should hold off on this idea because you have done it so well. Excellent work. Cheers, Wendy

You may like this guy's stuff.
http://thebigduluth.deviantart.com/
http://thebigduluth.deviantart.com/gallery/25697721

Very similar to what you are doing. He wheel-throws his jugs and then sculpts. I am really diggin your new ones!

V

Mahalo everyone!

Wendy - you should still make a jug! I'd love to see your interpretation! I'm looking into some printable transfer glaze labels to do a nice marking for VanTIki Rum Co. on the back of the Ku-esque mug :)

Aloha Station - that guys stuff is KILLER! I am a sucker for Face Jugs - I've always loved them. His use of subtle reds on the nose and brow while keeping the natural clay color for the skin is very nicely done.

Henrik "VanTiki"

On 2013-06-18 14:02, VanTiki wrote:
Aloha Station - that guys stuff is KILLER! I am a sucker for Face Jugs - I've always loved them. His use of subtle reds on the nose and brow while keeping the natural clay color for the skin is very nicely done.

And very reasonably priced, too, at around $45 to $50 per mug.

V

On 2013-06-18 21:24, TikiTacky wrote:
And very reasonably priced, too, at around $45 to $50 per mug.

I know! Although the price goes up for his bigger pieces. Amazing stuff!

Henrik, I had good luck with these "fired-on" decals. Of course you want to test it with your glaze :)

Pre and post firing on a dollar store plate

Thanks Henrik but I think yours are so good I'll just enjoy watching you work this design. See you soon, Wendy

Still drooling over the skull jug. WOW!!

Amazing stuff as always.

• Dale
V

Mad Dog - that is exactly the stuff I'm gonna try! I don't have an HP printer (mine is a Brother laser printer, and I've read the toner does not contain enough iron oxide), so I'm going to have it printed at my local ceramics shop. Fingers are crossed!

BT

Great Jugs. Love the edges on the skull, the curves and the start edges are awesome.

I forget that some people don't have access to office eqipment and supplies at work to pilfer! :lol:

V

Made a final Jug Mug for Oasis - this one for VanTiki Island Head Shrinking Bitters (just a dash will do!). Here is the freshly sculpted mug/jug spinning for your viewing pleasure:

https://vine.co/v/hWBDYJvWjQU

It is smaller than the last 2 jugs. Will have lashings stitched through half the mouth, and across the back of the jug (strapping the face onto the front of the jug). I'm laso making up transfer labels for this fellow as well. Can't wait to start glazing!

Mahalo for looking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

T

Can't wait to see the glazed jugs, too- and seeing everything else in person soon. :)

HT

I'm just realizing now that there's two threads. One for mugs, and one for tiles.

Hi

Have been quickly looking through the thread at all the mugs loads of great ideas and techniques and uses of glaze and differing clays, absolutely fantastic. Ive just started making some pots 30 years since I last had a go at art college, but your pots are so good I don't know if it has made me inspired or depressed. Inspired I guess.

are most of the mugs made with paperclay as they seem so thick and sculptural. if so do you make the paperclay or buy it pre made.

On 2013-06-18 11:28, VanTiki wrote:
Good grief! My last mug post was in 2012?! I have been on the computer far too long this year!

In an attempt to rectify the situation, allow me to share some of the mugs I've been making for Tiki Oasis 2013. Seeing that the the theme this year is Hulabilly, I felt that instead of Tiki Mugs, perhaps I should create a few Tiki JUGS.

We start with a few slabs rolled out to a nice thickness (note the wood strips I set on the table to keep things even when when rolling). Yes, that is a square, and yes, I am that anal when cutting an assembling the base shapes for mugs :)

Once I calculate the lengths of the slab needed for the diameter of the jug I want to make, I carefully cut the slab. I'm using Laguna B-Mix paper clay with grog for these jugs

I then carefully roll up the slab and voila!

OK - there are a few more steps involved with getting the basic jug forms - I just forgot to snap pictures! Here is Jug#1 roughed out, before the final detail pass (had to let it firm up a bit before detailing)

Finished Tiki Jug #1:

Finished Tiki Jug #2:

I plan on doing a third for Oasis - I'm just not decided yet on the imagery. Stone idol? Zombie? Shrunked head? So many options! Ms. VanTiki has insisted that #3 be smaller.

Mahalo for looking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

SKULLL VOTE!

V

On 2013-10-14 07:17, Tattotiki wrote:
are most of the mugs made with paperclay as they seem so thick and sculptural. if so do you make the paperclay or buy it pre made.

Aloha Tattotiki!

Most of my mugs are made with a cone 5 or cone 6 sculpture clay body (Laguna buff sculpture, for example). My mugs are indeed large and thick, so I use clays that have grog or sand in them to add strength during the hand-building process. When using paperclay, I get pre-made stuff. The past few pieces were made with Laguna b-Mix paperclay with grog. I'm planning on working my way through the various laguna paperclays to see what I like best.

Can't wait to see your new clay creations!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Being biscuit fired this week

some small shrunken head shot glasses are the only tikiesque pieces, and some not so tiki stuff a devils head with cigar ( as everyone smokes in hell ) and a Frankenstein mug. Ill put some pics up if brave enough. and if they don't end up in pieces.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=46502&forum=18&0

Cheers
Mike T

[ Edited by: Tattotiki 2013-11-22 01:57 ]

V

News flash! VanTiki finally got back to pushing clay in the studio!! Presenting the freshly sculpted Wall Hanging Mug #1 and #2. No feet or base, so you gotta hang 'em or hold 'em! The finished mugs will have some spiffy cord lashings and a loop for wall hanging.

Bigger pics can be seen at the VanTiki FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/vantiki

Or the Studio Process Tumblr:
http://vantiki.tumblr.com

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 927 replies