Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 927 replies

V

Mahalo everyone!

Leleliz - You wouldn't be impressed with the slapped together shape if I took a photo of it at that stage! The other students in the class were exchanging concerned looks while the odd mug took shape :)

Kenny - Mega Mahalo!

Brad - the photos are killing me! Once I get my normal life back I gotta follow up on those sign quotes...

Babalu - You are very welcome!

Wanted to share a write up on my mugs (and me) in the current issue of Honolulu magazine. Good news for you mainland folk: the article is online!

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/May-2009/Fantasy-Island/

I was really happy with the way it turned out. I was interviewed/photographed months ago, but they kept pushing the story. The writer (who is the Managing Editor) had to convince the staff that I wasn't making ABC store plastic tiki mugs in my studio :) The best part: they used one of my mug photos FULL PAGE for the magazine's table of contents. I squeaked with delight when I saw it!

(a very giddy) Henrik

Very Cool Henrik, soon you'll be world famous! Nice article :)

BT

I only wish someone made cheapo abs plastic mugs as cool as yours. :)

Congrats on the article, I gotta read it now... (so I assume congrats) :wink:

V

Put together another time-lapse video of studio action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HCYk3SO7pk

be sure to watch it in HD - looks MUCH better!

Mahalo,
Henrik

L

So THAT is how you made it!

Its like the secrets of the universe have been revealed :)

V

some quick shots of the new DEMOKU mugs -

OK, gotta get back to work!

L

Henrik when you list these on Ebay please spell them wrong...like stick them under
"Totem Pole Art" or something so I have a chance to win them :P

That video makes it look so easy and the end results are always amazing.

V

Aloha folks -
My apologies for a double post, but I thought I'd post the shots of the PNG mask mugs I did for the Summer Tiki Swap over here as well. For those who have not been perusing that thread, this summer's theme is PNG. I opted to make a mask mug that you could hang on your wall when not drinking from it. I did two, just in case one dies during the firing/drying process. If they both make it, I'll be faced with the dilemma of keep-or-sell! :) These shots are of the finished sculpt, still deed to dry, fire, glaze, and fire it again!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik

I dont know if that will actually hang or not...better just send it to me to test it out .
If it gets wet or something I'll just keep it lol

(somebodys gonna get awful lucky!)

Henrik!
You've translated PNG perfectly into your realm!
Awesome!
and one's for the swap!
Awesomer!
:)

S
squid posted on Wed, May 27, 2009 3:47 AM

Crazy, man! Henrik's done it again. There's gonna be some lucky swappers this year.

V

Aloha Folks -

TikiVille - you are now the official wall tester! :)
Little Lost Tiki and Quid - mahalo! Squid, one of these could be yours if you do the swap! Please please please! :)

Ok - on to newer things. Went to the Hawaii Potter's Guild last night to pick up a bunch of my stuff from their high-fire kiln. Hot-damn, I am soooo happy with the way the DEMOKU turned out! I love this one so much, I decided to hang on to it a while. I've sold a few pieces in the past to TC folks and missed them greatly once I sent them to their new homes. I need to spend some quality time with this one before it leaves the nest. :)

Remember, I did two more of these fellows in a red clay body - so I'll eventually part with at least two of the DEMOKU clan!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik

L

Pretty much run out of adjectives for your work Henrik--but still loving it all the same. I really like the way the teeth contrast against the rest of the mug on this one.

Excellent work as always.

V

On 2009-05-29 15:32, leleliz wrote:
I really like the way the teeth contrast against the rest of the mug on this one.

Mahalo Liz! I dig the teeth as well. This is the first time I got to use a high fire "true" porcelain (I usually fire at cone 5-6 in my electric studio kiln, and this fellow was fired at around cone 10 in the Potters' Guild gas kiln), and it gives the teeth a lot of depth and luster. Glad you noticed :)

Henrik

Yep, there's a noticeable difference in the teeth, now you'll have to buy a gas kiln! :lol:

Looking bodacious! (Now there's an adjective not frequently used :) )

B

GORJESUS!!

M
mp posted on Sun, May 31, 2009 1:41 AM

Your legend grows! A true master of clay. Great work Vantiki.

B

DEMOKU is wild!
WILD!!

It's a drink very brave that would dare spend much time in there!
:)

Bowie

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 31, 2009 8:17 PM

Demoku mugs and the PNG masks are awesome mate, nice work :D

K

Henrik: mad, mad, mad, mad love of your stuff. I am late to the party (obviously) but have so enjoyed every post in this thread of yours. Mahalo for sharing your skills with the world.

those are so nice , VERY KEWL .

V

Mahalo everyone!

Two bits of news- first, the Tiki Swap mugs (as well as the DEMOKU mugs and 30-ish tiles) survived the bisque firing intact. Whew! Secondly, I've expanded from Facebook to Twitter. Feel free to follow my studio successes and failures at http://twitter.com/vantiki

Mahalo for peeking!

Henrik

How'd you get ahold of my uncle Lester's teeth?! Damn those choppers look so real. Amazing job Henrik!

L

You gonna be setting those tiles up on Etsy now Henrik?

V

On 2009-06-09 19:52, leleliz wrote:
You gonna be setting those tiles up on Etsy now Henrik?

Very soon, I promise! Just loaded 10 into the kiln, along with the Cradle of The Golden Mug moai and the Tiki Swap mugs (which I am gonna call "The Ambassadors")

Remember - colors will change during the firing! I would have loaded more glazed tiles - but my eagerly anticipated box of new glaze arrived wrapped in a soggy garbage bag. Apparently it blew a leak somewhere over the pacific and destroyed untold number of adjacent packages before reaching me. Called the glaze company, and hopefully they will re-ship tomorrow so I can get these tiles done!

Mahalo for peeking
Henrik

Crazy stuff there Henrik! Hope no one was injured in the great glaze explosion of '09.

B

Van, ur the MAN. those r killer!!!!!!!!

V

Step right up folks and cast your vote!

One of these wall hanging PNG-esque mask/straw holders is for the Tiki Central Summer Art Swap, and one is for sale. The question is, which is which? What mug should set sail for the Bay of E (eBay, that is)? Lemmie know what you think - I'll tabulate this afternoon!

Mahalo,
Henrik

#2 for the Swap

#1 for Sale

These are gonna look great out of the kiln!

L

On 2009-06-16 13:53, little lost tiki wrote:
#2 for the Swap

#1 for Sale

agree!

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 2:38 PM

Number 1 for the swap
Number 2 for eBay

No, #1 for Swap and #2 for sale

(Actually, they're both awesome and I don't have a preference, I just wanted to be disagreeable :P )

number 1 for sale I guess, Its hard to decide....
the recipiant of this is gonna be preaty FU*#in happy either way !
jeez, like how do ya do it ?
I dont think I could let go of either of em !

V

Mahalo for the votes everyone - Looks like #2 will be sailing off to the Bay of E this weekend. Folks posting on the VanTiki FB page were really focused on #2! Putting together the pictures/webpage now. Stay tuned...

Mahalos!
Henrik

V

Ok!
The Cradle of The Golden Mug is done, and I am in love with it. Looks quite nice hanging on a wall. Here are a few shots (yes, it is ginormous):

More photos and info can be found here:

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/Cradle_of_the_Golden_Mug.html

I'll post in the marketplace when the auction kicks off this weekend.
Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik

M
mp posted on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 6:49 PM

Holy Cow Vantiki, Awesommmmmmmme! Sweet idol action.

I so wish you would make multiples (I'm sure I'm not alone on this). That wall plaque rocks!

On 2009-06-16 19:08, Atomicchick wrote:
That wall plaque rocks!

Pun intended?

Awesome rock texture, fissures, and glaze

H

Love the skull detail inside the mouth.

Very Cool.....This turned out Vantabulous!!!

Van-you outdid yourself this time!

B

Henrik! I love the PNG direction... heck with that darn TC swap...just send that baby over to me, I'll trade for anything of mine you want :)

I've lurked long enough! Love your work!
Cradle of the golden mug is a masterpiece!
One of my favorites pieces ever.
Bravo!

Velvets by J. Sallin

[ Edited by: Iokona Ki'i 2009-06-20 10:08 ]

Wow indeed, I just found this on ebay while browsing - and then found this thread second. I knew it must have a story on here.. what an amazing piece!

B
Babalu posted on Tue, Jul 7, 2009 2:18 PM

BUMP!

V

Aloha folks - remember me? :)

FInished our big day job project, took a vacation, and now I am (happily) getting my hands covered with clay again. I had such a blast doing the last big wall hanging mug holder, I decided to give it another go. This time I went BIG, Pyramid cult, Ancient Mayan, and a splash of Vegas.

This one is extra crazy - I spent forever creating separate chambers for each eye, the "mug chamber", and the mouth, and added lots of channels for wires. If all goes as planned, I hope to have the eyes and mouth flickering red with LED firelight, and the forehead "mug chamber" a ghostly blue. FIngers crossed! THis will now spend a few weeks on the drying table. The clay is a prepared cone 6 paper clay form Laguna (can't remember the # at the moment). A solid 20" tall - but keep in mind, it will shrink 10%. One of my golden mini mugs will live in the forehead.

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik

I remember you, you're the one who does the AWESOME WORK!!!! Glad to have you back Henrik!

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Sep 6, 2009 7:19 PM

It's really great to see you back Henrick! Not only are you back, but back in a HUGE way too! :) YAY!!

I brought some paper clay, but I haven't really played with it yet...I like that dark clay body on yours for sure. 10%?...darn, I thought that stuff didn't shrink at all.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 927 replies