Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Post pictures of your Home tiki bar/space/yard!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

Aloha Everyone! This is my first post. Wanted to share some pics of my Tiki retreat on my lanai. I spend a ton of time in the hot tub!

This image is to show the solar lights we are using and the bamboo we put up along the ceiling.

UT

Looks great! My wife and I made the Kabuddhabuddha Compound our base camp for Hukilau this year. Both Mr. and Mrs. Bood were gracious host and made our short escape to the south perfect. Keep up the good work on the Lanai and have a dip in the pool for us.

Cool hot tub. Love that big tiki. nice;)

Yes, very nice indeed. I just got several sets of those solar tiki lights, good to see someone who is using them. :)

Here's the tiki bar my friends and I built last weekend - I am not happy at all with the reed fencing I attached to the front and sides so it's coming down. I think I'll just attach 1'' bamboo poles lined vertically. Does anybody have tips on arranging/attaching the bamboo? Should I stain the bamboo? I'm a total newbie so any suggestions or help is appreciated!

More shelves to come once I figure out the most useful placement.

Pakalolo Man

T
twitch posted on Fri, Sep 7, 2007 8:35 PM

On 2007-09-07 17:35, Pakalolo Man wrote:
I think I'll just attach 1'' bamboo poles lined vertically. Does anybody have tips on arranging/attaching the bamboo? Should I stain the bamboo? I'm a total newbie so any suggestions or help is appreciated!

Well, I'm cheap, so I'd just say - line the bamboo (split or whole)on the ground, and rope some of that grassy-looking twine you get at dollar-stores between the poles horizontally, maybe with spacing 6-12" between lines. Then glue-gunning the whole thing to a backing board on the bar front. Or drill a few holes here and there (under the twine which you'd pry out of the way a bit first) to screw it in place, the twine hiding the screw-heads afterwards. Either before or after mounting, get a can of spray shellac and give it a few coats, which will give it a light-stained look.
But any way you go for, let's see the pics afterwards!

And for my own bar, I just finished putting together a frame for the Sandy Warner print I bought from Sam Gambino a while back -

My first attempt at a more complicated frame, but I think it turned out alright - just a bit of minor detailing to take care of. And I got a nice big pile of bamboo scraps left over from a couple 8' poles from trying to match up those 45-degree cuts (really need to invest in a good mitre box).

T

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7d726b3127ccebbf2a6eaeb5300000026100AZtWLZm2ZsWJg

Put up new PVC fence ... waiting next week for [12ft.round] Hatch Umbrellas. with the pub tables can fit 6 on bar stools !!! found out sat. nite how much seating we lacked !!!

V

More progress on the backyard...

More solar tiki torches and holders for the stairs

Made panels for the gazebo with my Dremel.

Stained, sealed and installed...starting to look better.

The pool shed is starting to come together...

And finally the addition to the existing mural..

More stuff to do, thanks for looking.

It is really coming together Vinman. Looks like you covered a plastic storage shed, that looks nice, how did you get the cover to stick?

J

This is my first post on the forum.... I've been checking everybody's work out and it looks great. Did some of my first carving yesterday to finish up my tiki bar.
Here are some in progress pics. Got all my bamboo from BambooandRattan.com in NJ.... Having never bought bamboo before... they were helpful and i got just what I wanted from them.

That looks really classic Jim! Great (basement?) bar. The carvings are really fun, dig that style with the faces.

J

Thanks, yes its in my basement.... still need to finish the thatch roof and overhang, and I've got some burlap for the rest of the ceiling. I'll post a few finished picks hopefully in a week or two.

V

Looks like you covered a plastic storage shed, that looks nice, how did you get the cover to stick?

Thanks...you are correct, the shed is a plastic Costco special. We sprayed the matting with some clear spar marine varnish and then attached it using a staple gun. It sags a bit, but if it needs replacing in a few years, it won't be difficult to remove. The next step is the palm thatch for the top.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25372&forum=2&24
Here's where I posted my place.
I love seeing (and stealing) peoples ideas from these kinds of threads. Some of the home spaces are great glimpses of peoples imaginations.
Cheers.

Here's a few shots of my last home bar, the Kon Tiki Paradise Room. Already have enough gear to rebuild it better, stronger, faster. Question is where and when? Recognize any of these fine Tiki kids?

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I built this not-exactly-tiki backyard bar for my friend's annual BBQ bash. Tiki Central proved to be invaluable during design and build.

The bar's carcass is plywood assembled with biscuits and reinforced with cleats. It is covered with bamboo beach matting and trimmed with bamboo. The roof is also plywood; covered (on the top) with a grass table skirt.

The "carvings" were sawn out and dremmeled for a 3D effect. The "Cheral" in the sign comes from my friends names, Al and Cher (their twin boys are "D" and "G").

Another view of the roof. The frog was something my friends already had. I think it works well, even though it's not really tiki.

Plenty of room for beverages, garnishes, and tiki-torch fuel??

Originally the pinapple and bannanas were supposed to go on the side of the bar. However, last minute changes to the roof and supports left JUST too little room for them on the side. So they ended up on one of the roof supports.

Bartender McDonald greets visitors! Not really, they had rescued this carved wood clown a few months prior. After some repairs and paint, he (unintentially) looks like a certain fast-food mogel.

-Jason.

Everyone's bars are looking great. Basement Kahuna...that is just off the hook...very inspiring. I don't have any floats, boy I better start collecting them...they look so awesome...there are lots of places to buy them...any suggestions for the best place to shop online?

Beach and artificial palm tree.

Another view.

Mural and gardens.

Fish pond.

Fire pit a natural.

Fire pit primed.

We ran out of light, so I'll have to post a few more tomorrow.

On 2007-10-01 17:13, kitschywoman wrote:

Fire pit primed.

That's awsome!

G

On 2007-09-25 14:34, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Already have enough gear to rebuild it better, stronger, faster. Question is where and when?

I'll tell you where. Florida, that's where. Plenty of room. OJ will probably be moving into new quarters soon, so his place might be available.

And you'd be close to the Imperial Luau tikis. And the Mai-Kai.

U

Here is what I have done so far. Comments and especially suggestions are welcome.

Nice work! Now just cover the back of the house with a huge A frame and... kidding. Bar looks great, nice job on bamboozling the wood.

On 2007-10-02 05:47, GatorRob wrote:

On 2007-09-25 14:34, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Already have enough gear to rebuild it better, stronger, faster. Question is where and when?

I'll tell you where. Florida, that's where. Plenty of room. OJ will probably be moving into new quarters soon, so his place might be available.

And you'd be close to the Imperial Luau tikis. And the Mai-Kai.

Robb, tell you what..howz about I build it on your property and you hire me as yer full-time personal bartender?

This is in my lanai at my Tampa townhome. It has a long way to go. I travel alot so I dabble a little at a time when I'm home. Yes, the small LCD TV is blasphemous, but I am working on a cover using tapa cloth when not in use. I still have to cover the rest of the walls and change the color of the cement floor from gray to something else. The ceiling consists of 2 large (6" diameter) lengths of bamboo suspended with smaller bamboo poles resting on top between them. The bar itself is temporary. It is a converted Target patio bar. This winters project is building a bar from scratch. I plan a having a resin coated bartop etc..
It is my stress relief project. The thatch is not really green, that is just how it looks from additional lighting on the ceiling. The tiki I carved myself and I cut the smaller bamboo down too. Its fun to keep playing around with it.

[ Edited by: Tonga Tiki 2007-10-24 13:18 ]

Looking good though....very cozy. The lighting is very kewl.

[/img]

This a work in progress. It isn't as bright as the pics show and I have red and green lights that look kool when lit. The room is in 1/4 of my basement as a little taste of tiki. I keep changing and making improvements along the way .

[ Edited by: R/A tiki guy 2007-10-21 19:07 ]

On 2007-10-01 17:13, kitschywoman wrote:

Fire pit primed.

woah wah woo woo, where did this guy come from? You made?

What a fantastic idea, this time of year we could really use an outdoor fireplace, and the fire breathing tiki is perfect!

K

On 2007-10-21 07:55, Tonga Tiki wrote:
This is in my lanai at my Tampa townhome. It has a long way to go. I travel alot so I dabble a little at a time when I'm home. Yes, the small LCD TV is blasphemous, but I am working on a cover using tapa cloth when not in use. I still have to cover the rest of the walls and change the color of the cement floor from gray to something else. The ceiling consists of 2 large (6" diameter) lengths of bamboo suspended with smaller bamboo poles resting on top between them. The bar itself is temporary. It is a converted Target patio bar. This winters project is building a bar from scratch. I plan a having a resin coated bartop etc..
It is my stress relief project. The thatch is not really green, that is just how it looks from additional lighting on the ceiling. The tiki I carved myself and I cut the smaller bamboo down too. Its fun to keep playing around with it.

Wow, Tonga Tiki....
you need to have a Tampa Bay ohana party in that thing...
:drink:
K.

Looks good R/A and welcome to TC. :tiki:

M

The magic of all of these spaces that people are creating is that it brings people together. There is NOTHING more important in this day and age as bringing people together, sharing some laughs, and enjoying life!!!

Totem Pole on Santa Cruz Island, California

Chair on Santa Cruz Island

uh...

Hi, here are some pictures of our tiki-mod cottage in Colonial Beach Va. We call it The Little Cracker. Just got the vintage 70s plastic plants and trying to work them in. It's a work in progress so let me know what you think.
It's my first post. I hope I get the pictures to show up right.

Pluto :>)

M

Love it!

Wow - diggin the Colonial Beach, VA joint. Love the kitchen counter area. Great colors, great shapes - clean lines with tons of joy! Great Job!

Aloha!!
Been lurking for quite some time.. and saw this thread. Here are some pics of my Tikified room and a pic of my outdoor Tiki Bar.

This is our Tiki Room - used to be the 3rd bedroom but we think it's better this way!

I built this bar for my aunt's patio in AZ.

This is my latest bar. Freestanding for outdoor parties. (I've used it as a secondary bar for "other" drinks or food trays)

This is my main outdoor tiki bar that doubles as a garden shed. (It's a bit unfinished still - and obviously needs a lot more "tikifying")

Thanks for looking!
Jeff

TZ

Wow - really nice. When I build the patio to enlarge the outdoor entertainment space next summer, I've been thinking about building a "satellite" bar to supplement the main one. You've convinced me.

I also like the drink menu behind the bar - I've been thinking of doing something similar for the "drink specials" (i.e. the stuff I can make with what is on hand). Thanks for the post.

[ Edited by: Tiki Zen 2007-10-25 08:59 ]

This project is still in the making.....I put the pond in last year and have been working on adding plantings and such ever since.....This year I added another little section of pond and started the Tiki Hut....Winter is almost here now so I'll start again in spring, hopefully to finish this outdoor space....I have been collecting numerous design elements to really "Tikify" this area....cant wait to get it finished....thanks for looking, and any suggestions would be great!!!

Pluto..that is fabulously modern...love the hair-dryer chair and the atomic lamp...your colors are great and good mix with bamboo. Very kewl indeed. Nice job. :tiki:

Bigdog...excellent use of a third bedroom...it looks great..makes me want a drink. :)

Headhunter...it's coming along well....keep up the good work and post pictures. :D

edit cause I can't frikken type

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-10-27 18:54 ]

S

Haven't got much space in my little apartment, but I've been bamboofying one side of my living room.
Needs more work though.
It's in front of the kitchen and I still have to do something to divide it so you don't see the dishes.

Our vintage bamboo bar

My Moai lamp and my bamboofied Ikea mug shelf and Ikea led-lighting, gives great atmosphere but is a pain in the ass to photograph.

I'm very pleased with the result of the chimney, we've glued and nailed a big piece of zebra cloth onto it
(Still need a couple of spears) and a part of the cupboard where we keep the good stuff

T

snackbar, like what you've done with such a small space. Groovy!!!

Thortiki

Snackbar,
That looks really good, great job on the lighting and textures, sweet tiki space!

Iki ikI

Snackbar

Love the clean look of the shelves. Nice collection.

My Tropical getaway went on vacation for the winter...

Snackbar...beautiful bar!!! I love the lighting and your displays. :)

T

My Tiki room thanks to the inspiration of the threads here @ Tiki Central & my Wahini's perspiration in helping to put the whole thing together.

Thortiki

Very Groovy Thor!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies