Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Post pictures of your Home tiki bar/space/yard!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies

Mindar, your tikis are looking pretty sophisticated for a beginner. Welcome to TC!

M

homemade tiki bars are always impressive.

O

After a delay, my tiki bar is nearing completion finally. If anyone is up my way, send me a PM ahead of time and let me make you a Mai Tai.

Life is a state of mind

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-05 22:58 ]

Killer outdoor bar with sink, lotsah room, shade etc etc... It's a major accomplishment, hope u feel great about it!

Let me try this again, hopefully this time with pics!

Since I've been lurking on this site for some time now, I thought it's finally time to officially join and post a few pics of my own (hope it works). The tiki bar (I need to take more pics) and yard our family enjoys is partly owed to the great folks on this site who shared their love of tiki along with ideas, photos, suggestions and tricks of the trade that helped folks like us out. I thank you all. is spring here yet?

[ Edited by: vabeachtiki 2007-02-10 17:27 ]

That's a beautiful bar you have there in the last photo. All that real bamboo and matting, the perfect spot to sidle up for a drink!

ST

Love what you've done there VB! Where do you live?

surf tiki,

glad to see another tiki fan from va beach. too bad it's so hard to find materials around here. we are near little neck and VB blvd. how about you?

We've been working on this bar for a few months and thought it was time to show it off. Special thanks to Lake Surfer for the custom carved wallhangers, and Swanky for the puffer fish lites.

With the long bar and the ace decor, that's looking like a swank/upscale bar. I'd definitely buy a Zombie there. Very Swank take on tiki. I LIKE it!!

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-28 15:48 ]

ST

On 2007-02-11 16:46, vabeachtiki wrote:
surf tiki,

glad to see another tiki fan from va beach. too bad it's so hard to find materials around here. we are near little neck and VB blvd. how about you?

I live on 23rd st at the ocean front. I actually do not have all that much stuff of my own that is tiki but have done a bar for a friend (earlier in this thread)and a hut attached to my brother in laws house. I will proroably be moving one block closer to the beach in a few moths and hope to put something up in the yard there. Most everything I have done so far has been with salvaged materials (AKA junk) and the bamboo grove in my backyard.

There are a couple of other VB people on here but they have been quiet for quite a while now.

bump..

My wife and I went to Hawaii on our honeymoon, and when we came back I wanted a little space to remind us of the trip. So here are a few pictures of my bar and a few things we have picked up along the way. Mahalo!

[ Edited by: therascalking 2007-03-03 13:09 ]

bump

New thread started.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2010-02-25 18:44 ]

Thanx for posting those keen pix here Lake S, seeing yoour pix of this well done basement bar on your thread is what reminded me to bump this topic again. Well done!

B
Bincho posted on Mon, Apr 2, 2007 8:14 PM

Here is my humble Tiki Bar-"End of World Gladness" Novato,Northern California.
If anyone finds themselves looking at the edge of the desolation wilderness, or West over the Pacific, be sure to stop by & fortify. :wink:
I was able to assemble most of this bar from scraps from work- it kind of rather assembled itself. A crate of thatch off a movie lot- bamboo from a bamboo nursery nearby-A fridge appeared mysteriously from out of nowhere, a discount icemaker fell out of the sky and into my path. A failed Dot-Com coughed up the barstools (I re-upholstered) The ships wheel was a discard, lots of salvage and right place at the right time stuff. Neon sign from a demo project.
I wired it up with some nearby electricity, and it has a fridge- ice and some lighting.
The thatch has kinda taken a beating this winter and I had to reinforce with some jute strapping and reed fencing. I must say I am rather fond of it at night with the flaming torches burning. My wife thinks I am going to burn it to the ground in a rum/lamp fuel mushroom cloud.
The wood bar is all heavy Doug Fir & Eucalyptus posts which I varnished.Made a Bamboo roof-The winter taught me to respect the wind- and I am in the midst of some tropical foliage planting to warm it up.

Soon, some home made Tiki's, if I ever find the time.

ST

On 2007-04-02 20:14, Bincho wrote:
I was able to assemble most of this bar from scraps from work

To me building tiki stuff out of recycled/"found" materials is the ultimate. It's kind a Swiss Family Robinson thing. I love to rescue stuff and find new life in it, even if its a completely different use. I am currently working on my bar built out of a shipping crate.

M

Bakersfield has, of all things, a Vietnamese supermarket althoough its products are Asian Pacific rim. I thought I would go in an stock up on some spices etc. and walked out with all kinds of bamboo panels and benches. If anyone has a Vietnamese market, you may wish to check out their bamboo products.

here's some pics from my new barspace

Check out this thread for the making off pics
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23681&forum=18

Toilet Tiki after Edvard Munch's "The Scream." Found art displayed over toilet and made from an old steel bedpan, garden gloves, etc . . .

First - Munch's "The Scream"

Next - Timid's "Toilet Tiki"

On 2007-04-10 14:40, timidtiki wrote:
Toilet Tiki after Edvard Munch's "The Scream." Found art displayed over toilet and made from an old steel bedpan, garden gloves, etc . . .

Tiki Toilet-humor! :o :o :o

Tama :lol:

Whacha' gone do with all them bumps? All thmp bumps up in yo...?

TL

TIKI LEE'S at night. These photos were already posted in another forum. Just thought maybe if you had not seen them I would post them here.

Lake, bincho, tiki racer, tiki lee and everyone, glad to see the thread still going, all the tiki bars look great, its that time of year!!! I spent the last two days cleaning, scubing and trying to get our tiki bar up to being open.... Glad to see everyone else getting theirs ready.

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-04-29 22:19 ]

Hey Queen!

Pictures??

B

Let me proudly state the bar has kicked off the 2007 summer with a card playing fandango until the wee hours this morning-- it was a little chilly but only the designated drivers were cold.

Next: Late June Luau...

bump up the jam, bump up...

K

Ok, here's my little Tiki Hut in my backyard. I had an existing spa with a gazebo over it but we never used it. (I'm too green to burn all that gas to heat it). So we sold the spa but kept the gazebo. I covered the roof with thatch and built a bar from scratch. The bar top is a tropical fabric covered with 3 quarts of bar-top resin. It's coming along and we are enjoying it. My son made us 5 CDs of Tiki music for atmosphere. Here's the pics: some daytime and some at night. I made the Hula lamp from a $6 dashboard hula girl from K-Mart. Next step is to paint some palm trees on the shade.

The SoccerTiki Grotto:

This thread is new to me, and I went through the whole thing just now, there are some amazing bars you have there everyone! :) Very inspirational!!

B

Here is the current state of the bar, with some new plants and some spring cleaning completed.

M

I've been working on my inside Irish pub for a while now, and I just today finished the base of my outdoor tiki bar/kitchen. I've been slowly putting this together the past few months (seems like years), and while there is still lots of decorating to do, at least the structural components are done as of today. Now the fun part of putting together my mugs and decor and getting this thing right.

Notice even Tom Selleck as Magnum, PI showed up for the inaugural mai tai.

I have named it the "Imbibatorium", and I now have a bar just 5 steps from my bed. The kitchen part is a bonus in case the wife or I get in the mood for a few pupus or a hot buttered rum on those chilly Florida winter nights.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as the decorating is only just now getting under way.

The back side of the bar is actually bamboo curtain, not solid bamboo as the front and side is, so it pulls back to open up to shelving. Then I built in 3 doors - and found these great tiki door handles I put in.

Anyone in the Pinellas County area of Florida is welcome to break this thing in with me once it's finished.

Mahalo for your inspirations...

[ Edited by: mahalomo 2007-07-08 11:59 ]

[ Edited by: mahalomo 2007-07-08 12:00 ]

[ Edited by: 2007-07-08 18:02 ]

Wow....great pics.

Mahalomo....very professional looking, and I would love to see pictures of your Irish Pub (maybe post in Off-Tiki forum). I am planning on doing my garage like an English Pub in a couple of years, so just collecting ideas now.

SoccerTiki & WooHoo....what a great collection and I'm jealous of your walls....I feel tropical and mai taied just looking at your pictures.

Bincho....very beautiful and what a fabulous view you have. Sorry to miss your upcoming party....catch you next time. I like the nautical touch.

kitchjb....well done and that bar top is awesome....I love it...the colors of the fabric show so well under that shiny surfacing.

I haven't done much to my lounge, but these pictures are very inspirational. :tiki:

V

Here is a before and after of some of our backyard work. We decided to go with a Tahiti theme for the pool area. We had tons of help from a friend with the mural, and we are in the process of adding more. I'm planning on adding some artificial rock features and some carved tikis once I've had some practice with those skills.

Before...

After...

I love that....great way to decorate a wall. Another mural on the wall up by the lounge chairs would be kewl too. You are doing a great job!!!

V

Thanks VampiressRN for the compliment. We were quite jazzed about the way the first mural turned out. We are just now starting on the adjacent wall to the right. The upper deck wall is something we are thinking about painting, but aren't sure what to do just yet. Perhaps blue sky and clouds, what do you think?

T

On 2007-07-08 11:52, mahalomo wrote:
I've been working on my inside Irish pub for a while now, and I just today finished the base of my outdoor tiki bar/kitchen. I've been slowly putting this together the past few months (seems like years), and while there is still lots of decorating to do, at least the structural components are done as of today. Now the fun part of putting together my mugs and decor and getting this thing right.

Notice even Tom Selleck as Magnum, PI showed up for the inaugural mai tai.

I have named it the "Imbibatorium", and I now have a bar just 5 steps from my bed. The kitchen part is a bonus in case the wife or I get in the mood for a few pupus or a hot buttered rum on those chilly Florida winter nights.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as the decorating is only just now getting under way.

The back side of the bar is actually bamboo curtain, not solid bamboo as the front and side is, so it pulls back to open up to shelving. Then I built in 3 doors - and found these great tiki door handles I put in.

Anyone in the Pinellas County area of Florida is welcome to break this thing in with me once it's finished.

Mahalo for your inspirations...

:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>:>

Very nice...pool/ tiki bar !!!!!!... Don't see any music box ????

[ Edited by: mahalomo 2007-07-08 11:59 ]

[ Edited by: mahalomo 2007-07-08 12:00 ]

[ Edited by: 2007-07-08 18:02 ]

Vinman, the mural is a nice touch. Gets rid of the concrete jungle look. Live plants (palms, hibiscus, cannas) around the pool would add to the lushness and add some 3-D to your 2-D.

I like the tiki torches. Are those just flag mounting brackets or are they specially made for torches? Either way, a slick way of putting up torches.

V

We opted for silk flora around the pool as we have enough real leaves and such clogging our filter from our neighbors trees. We have some artificial palms and a banana tree as well as ferns, they just aren't in the photo. You are correct, the torches are mounted on flag holders. Since the pics were taken, we replaced the tiki torches with the solar powered version from Lowes.

hey Vinman

how cool would it be to replace that white iron fence with a bamboo one?

that would totally change the look of things.

something along these lines

keep up the good work

Erich

V

Yeah, we thought about that, but we are unfortunately doing this somewhat backwards. We didn't decide on the theme until after the pool was built and the fencing was up. After the pool was finished we knew we had to do something about the cinder block prison motif that we had going on. We are not the most artistic people so we tried for 6 months to hire an artist to paint a mural for us. Finally we decided to just try it ourselves and see how it went. We were lucky and my very artistic friend Angela actually did most of the detail work. When we saw how well the mural turned out we knew we had to go with the tahiti / polynesian theme. I'm wondering if there is a way to encase the existing iron railing in either a real or a faux bamboo?

Vinman,
Welcome and congrats on your tiki pool. Sounds like a pretty easy fix for your railings. Try doing a faux bamboo finish on the railings. You keep the strength or your railings minus the plain white look.

Here are some ideas of how to do it:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_faux_finishes/article/0,2025,DIY_13754_2270782,00.html

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_furniture_paint_stain/article/0,1793,HGTV_3448_1373346,00.html

You don't need to get as fancy making 3D joints,you can just paint them on and give the illusion or Bamboo.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Cheers,
numastar

[ Edited by: Numastar 2007-07-14 11:01 ]

V

Thanks for the heads up on the faux finishes, definitely something to consider for not just the rails but also the gazebo that is by the house.

I'm also thinking of making a bamboo hut or palapa to cover the pool equipment in the corner.

I started working on my house a few years ago. I live with my son and my husband and I new I had to decorate in something we all liked so we did pirates. The tiki stuff started after I discovered Tiki Bar TV. Now I can come home from work and put on my pirate hat and have a drink.

Our Secret Pirates Cove.

That's a nice bar/lounge! Good work on your piratiki theme!

T

Woo! That's a nice pad...

I just whipped up a fast bamboo frame for my TVic's menu and slapped it on the wall in the apartment's kitchen-slash-tiki-bar. Rough, but the first one. The menu's kept up with poster-putty so it can still be flipped thru while mounted.

[ Edited by: twitch 2007-08-28 18:21 ]

Pirate room looks great...ARGH!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 293 replies