Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Reesenik art. Stuff for Tiki Oasis 15.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies

A

Matt -- Your artwork is really cool! Wish I had an ounce of drawing talent. But I'm getting really good at stick figures.

"Voudon" is KILLIN IT,Matt!
Nice mood and the browns look great!
And the Pelican with the cap and the Crab are a HOOT on the "Brothers" painting..
Two totally different pallettes for two different subjects!
Rockin!

MR

Thanks guys. The Voudon painting made me think of those 1970's monster magazine comics. They always had adds for paintings on the back covers that had weird, devil at the graveyard or ghost in a cage images. Drug fallout.
Thanks again.

H

Matt Reese's original art and Lavaflow Inn tees are also available at Freaky Boutiki in Mission Beach. :wink:

Finished 2 more paintings. To steal Clysdalle's words "they're not tiki but I thought you might like them". Just feeling the Halloween spirit or something.

"Nice Evening" Acrylic on masonite It's about 19"x19"

"Demon Rum" Acrylic on panel. It's 6 and a half feet tall by 23" or so.
Like I said, not tiki, but Happy Halloween everybody!
Thanks for looking.
Cheers.

That Demon Rum would look sweet on a big ol' Chevy Van!!!

We should do a painting jam like the oki oki, but expand it to painting, clay pinstripping.....

H
Heath posted on Tue, Oct 21, 2008 3:54 PM

Great work Mattress!

Glad to see you posting again.

I like'em, Matt, especially Demon Rum. I can really feel the struggle!

How's that tiki coming, that you were carving at the lagoon chop?

ooohhh.....I like that "nice evening" popping out of the frame like that.

Glad to see you postin' and paintin'! let's see the tiki!!!! (the one you were carving, that is)

Thanks for all the responses.
Clysdalle, I should probably avoid the whole nordic chick with polar bear thing. Great pic.
Heath, thanks for all the help getting things ready for the gallery show. Much appreciated.
4WDtiki, thank you. Sorry I missed the final chop at your place. I "caveman" chopped and finished that sucker.
Polynesiac, thanks, I'll post pics of the crude tiki soon.
Huge mahalos to all.

Yeah I know, I'm bumping my own thread. I just wanted to mention some of my art, along with Clysdalle's, Sleestak's and Big Toe's is available for viewing right now at The Light Gallery in Costa Mesa.
Once again a very Happy Halloween to all the Ohana.

[ Edited by: matt reese 2008-10-30 06:41 ]

MR

Hey Polynesiac! Here's that tiki.... my second tiki ever carved. Be kind.

Side view. The skull part just kinda happened.

Just can't afford all the great carvers stuff out there. Decided to just go for it myself.
Cheers

You did well Matt. Multi-talented.
BTW, won't be getting that ac adapter till mid December..........shootz!

The skull part just kinda happened

When that happens, you know you're in tune with the wood, my friend.

Very cool carving!! I love the skull munching (that's a great idea), I also like how you used the "husk" part (for lack of a better name for it) - it gives the tiki a different feel and a little more texture.

how did you get the lighter color? did you sand the husk? or???

A great addition to the lava flow!

Thanks Jungle! Like I said no hurry on that. I'm not going anywhere.
Polynesiac, thanks. Yeah, I just sanded the husk to change the color. Mr. NoNaMe hipped me to that trick. I debated long and hard on whether or not to remove all that husk. I don't know if I was just being lazy or not.

H
Heath posted on Mon, Nov 10, 2008 3:54 PM

Looks real good Matt!
But you know with the weather starting to cool off, you should probably pull that thing into the garage and get some sort of clear coat on it. :lol:

How about some new damn paintings???? What the F are you doing over there old guy??? :wink:

Lay off Clysdalle!
At least it's a Tiki! :lol:
and a very cool one at that!
Stoked you just went for it
and took the initiative!
Way to go Matt!

Heath, thanks. Very funny, I'll wait for you to haul that sucker up the stairs.
Clysdalle, up yours smart guy. You know how slow us old guys move. It reminds me of the...time.. I er um forgot what I was saying. Working on new paintings just hold your horses.(Get it? Clysdalle-Horses? Anybody? Anybody?)
LLT thanks. You da man.
Cheers.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 11, 2008 8:17 AM

GROG not get it. GROG know a Clydesdale is a horse, but not sure about a Clysdalle.

GROG sez

GROG not get it. GROG know a Clydesdale is a horse, but not sure about a Clysdalle.

A Clysdalle is an illiterate horse,prone to spelling errors (see above example AND the whole Bandito/Bandido issue) and refusing to draw Tikis..
:lol:

Hey Matt! That tiki turned out sweet.

K

Hey Matt always like your paintings and the carving turned out great! I like the two tone style.

Thank you Hank. Also thanks for the booze and the float. Already hung it.
Keigs, thanks, I just love the look of the bark.

MR

Who wants to own a piece of Tiki history?
That's right, the paintings from the Tiki Oasis 8 Go Go dancer stages are now for sale. I'm taking any reasonable offer. Obviously shipping is an issue. Come on folks! You know you want something large scale and crazy cool. What better souvenir could one get from Tiki Oasis?
Post any questions, comments or statements of ridicule.

Dancer not included.

A

Bump - Wake up Matt and show us yer goods!

Here are a couple paintings for the Send In The Clowns Art Show this Saturday.
ClownNik

This Soup Tastes Funny

Both are acrylic on wood panel, scroll sawed borders.
I'm trying to get the third one done but time is running out!

bitchin work matt, hopefully ill make it up to san clownmente and see them in person

Very Fun,Matt!
Looks like the Clownin will be in FULL FORCE
on Saturday!

Couple other paintings to add here.
This was the last in the Send in the Clowns series for Dave's Not Home's show a while back.

This was for Mariepalooza "Zombies Served Here" I have no idea who ended up with it.

This is for MP's NorCal Haunted Hotrods and Mystery Machines show.
"The Flying VonDutchman"

Sketch I'm working on for a new t-shirt and possible painting. Big Shawn Warcott influence on this one.

I'm actually in the middle of another piece I've been promising Polynesiac for what must be years. I'll get pics up once I get some real progress going.
Glad to be back at the brushes a little more. Gotta admit LLT and Big Toe have given me some inspiration of late.
Peace with every step.

MR

I know, I know, totally lame to bump my own thread. Hoping for some input/feedback etc.

I'll bite: Matt I think of you as a carver and forget that you are a gifted illustrator/painter as well. Your Flying Dutchman turned out great and you cannibal pot is looking, well, "perky"!

You were probably looking for constructive criticism from one of the real artist - sorry, you got me instead :D

I ain't no real artist either, but I know what I like and I likes me some reesenik! This modest guy just oozes with talent. Sit him down with a sharpie and within minutes he's finished a finknik inspired tiki piece! seriously!

The flying von dutchman is one of the best! I've always liked how you cut the wood to fit the piece. I think that's a unique touch.

I don't care how long it takes, I'm just stoked to know that I have a reesenik on the way!

Glad you're hitting the brushes again, I look forward to what you have next!

MR

MDM, thanks for the kind words. All input is much appreciated.
Polynesiac, thank you also for the kind words. I got a good start on your painting and now my stupid camera busted! It's basically the same as the sketch I showed you.
I'm glad people liked The Flying VonDutchman. It was fun to paint.
Peace with every step.

The Flying Von Dutchman is a HOOT!
I love how he's rolling along
and just shoots his cannon
BAM!
This new cannibal one is coming along nicely
It's interesting to see your drawing style
after only seeing your paintings
a lot more frantic....
like a streetchicken!
:)

See there. I like that last one. Need more of those kind. Girl in a cauldron. Love it braddah Matt.

So here are some paintings I had at Oasis.

This is "Tiki Toast" acrylic on found board. Still available.

This is "Lunch?" which is still available.

And this is "There Goes The Lodge" which DJ Jack Hughes now owns.

Thanks for looking.

L

Matt how did I miss seeing your art this weekend?
Oh thats right..the drinking got in the way!

I drove with MP so I only got to see the Flying Dutchman...good stuff there fella!

"This Soup Tastes Funny" is a hoooot! Kinda like it's from the "Wacky Packages" era.

Here's my latest for the Tonga Hut Halloween show.
"Thar' Be the Ruby" acrylic on masonite.
Painted for Polynesiac.

Reesenik rocks the painting
Reesenik rocks the carving
Reesenik rocks the home bar & backyard
Reesenik rocks luring beautiful women into his home bar
Reesenik rocks the vintage trailer remodel

Is there anything Reesenik can't rock?! :lol:

Thanks Mike. You made me blush a little.

M
mp posted on Sat, Oct 30, 2010 10:24 PM

REESENICK ROCKS DA POSITIVE VIBES! Great work Matt

I think those shirt disigns may be the nicest I've seen. Awesome job.

MR

Thanks MP. Thanks Robb. I appreciate the feedback.

Haven't posted in this thread in 2 years. I figure since Tiki Oasis is almost here and i actually have a couple Tiki related items I might as well share.
"Fink Drink" Acrylic on found board

Collaboration "Lava Flow" Tiki mug created by The one and only MP! Test and final glazes available at TO 12. Very limited first run.

These are pics of the sculpt. Mugs will be available from MP at his booth and from REESENIK at the Finknik booth along with my usual assortment of lowbrow monster treats! Look forward to seeing everyone!

Very cool Matt, I like that "pedestal" effect. Can't wait to see how you and MP finish these.

Love the chiseled look.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 167 replies