Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Clysdalle's Carvin....UPDATE! Frankie is SMOOOOKIN....time for hardware and GREEN pg 19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 278 replies

C

You can see all my stuff in my updated site here....

http://www.davidlozeau.com

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2009-09-01 13:25 ]

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2009-10-01 23:35 ]

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2009-10-09 09:14 ]

Nice work. Is it just torch and poly or did you stain it also?

T

Nice colors and burn job!

Also, I noticed Lots of straps and bars and pipes and stuff! Looks like you had to really restrain him!

C

On 2006-08-09 11:43, tikigap wrote:
Nice colors and burn job!

Also, I noticed Lots of straps and bars and pipes and stuff! Looks like you had to really restrain him!

he was a fighter....you should see the other guy!!

yea, burn job...and then marine varnish....gives it that nice color quick..

nice work! how tall is he?

On 2006-08-10 05:35, turbosickboy wrote:
nice work! how tall is he?

he's about 2' and about 10 or 12 inches across....

Just got the 6 footer done this weekend. Took a huge chunk out of my leg with the angle grinder not paying attention the little bastard.......so here he is, the little blood sucker...

M

Welcome back Clydes! Nice job! Drinking and grinding should be kept to a minimum however. I can't imagine what a Lancelot would do if I were to look away. Yikes!

Mahalo

M

That last one is supercool!! Kind of voodoo-style with that blood and all! Nice! Hope your OK though :)

C

working on a little tiki last night learing my way around a hook knife....taking a few knicks and slight cuts out of the wood.....and hand...nothing bad....really excited with the results...and then WOOOOOPS, slip and a 3 inch gash right down my wrist, looking like a botched suicide attempt. After an ER visit, I guess I'll chaulk this up to a lesson learned.... Man, Tikis are kickin my ass!!!! Ordered a thumb protector and some new gloves for when I'm stupid again.....

B

Yes, Welcome back, Nice carvings. You gotta watch those guys with thet look in their eyes when you Know they're out for blood.. Good lookin tikis.

C

On 2006-10-06 14:59, Benzart wrote:
Yes, Welcome back, Nice carvings. You gotta watch those guys with thet look in their eyes when you Know they're out for blood.. Good lookin tikis.

Thanks BA....and you're not kidding...man, in a flash.....and with surgical precision. I love the results though...do you use any type of protection besides a glove?? Or are your hands just blade resistant at this point;)

8T

Sorry you got such a gash. Hope you mend well. You know Ben has gotten several of us "hooked" on the hook knife thing and every now and then you gotta pay some dues (in blood).
But the kevlar glove and patience are what it takes for these fine tools to work best. If you want to remove a big chunk in a hurry, don't use the hook knives, use the chisels! Hopefully you wont carve yourself any more! Have fun. 8FT

C

On 2006-10-06 15:35, 8FT Tiki wrote:
Sorry you got such a gash. Hope you mend well. You know Ben has gotten several of us "hooked" on the hook knife thing and every now and then you gotta pay some dues (in blood).
But the kevlar glove and patience are what it takes for these fine tools to work best. If you want to remove a big chunk in a hurry, don't use the hook knives, use the chisels! Hopefully you wont carve yourself any more! Have fun. 8FT

Thanks 8ft...I just placed an order for a pair today...I love the hook though...much better for the small stuff....and completely mentally soothing if that makes any sence....no chainsaw, chemicals, mallets...quite carving....

Here is the little bastid...all stained up...first try with a hook knife...I really like that tool...minus the blood of course...hence his color also...

C

Just got this guy finished today also...I was on a roll!!! More hook knife, but no bloodshed....

M
McTiki posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 3:05 AM

Nice Clydes! Welcome back by the way. I like the design on this one.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Me too. it is Really bold and neat and well done.

C

Thanks guys....question for BA.....now I'm getting used to the hook knife and the #10 blade (the dual edged downward hook)...my question is with the application of the other blades it came with...straight edge, reverse hook, left and right hook edges.....which is best for what? I have not been able to find much "hook knife guidence" on the web, hope you or anyone else can shed some light on it...thanks in advance!!

-clys

TD

looks great! sorry to hear bout the little hook blade incident. ive have gave myself a few good ones too. the worst part is that the blade makes it deep so it dosnt stop bleeding!

great stuff. cant wait for more.
oh and what kind of wood do you use for those guys?

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Oct 9, 2006 1:38 PM

You've got a really cool style happening here - the bold cuts and textured finish make them look like stone tooled pieces that came from a lost island somewhere. Obviously the blood sacrifices are working nicely!

On 2006-10-09 13:38, Paipo wrote:
You've got a really cool style happening here - the bold cuts and textured finish make them look like stone tooled pieces that came from a lost island somewhere. Obviously the blood sacrifices are working nicely!

hahahah........damn but I'm starting to feel faint with the IV hooked up to the basswood!!! Thanks guys, just finished up another one i'll get post up asap....

J

The bold style is great, and the blood doesn't even show. So when are you getting the next one posted?
JP

So I just heard this great joke......

A one handed Clysdalle walks into a bar and the bartender looks at him and says - (add you own hilarious version here!)

Seriously, I am glad you are OK. If your stitches start to look infected just pour a little TAB on there (ancient chinese secret)

mg

On 2006-10-10 19:36, smgleason47 wrote:
So I just heard this great joke......

A one handed Clysdalle walks into a bar and the bartender looks at him and says - (add you own hilarious version here!)

Seriously, I am glad you are OK. If your stitches start to look infected just pour a little TAB on there (ancient chinese secret)

mg

hahaha........thanks guys....and Tab, I even brought my rock to the emergency room so I could get in line....silly non-tiki people thought it was a weapon and made me wait outside....bastids!!!!

here is another one as I practice the hook knife not quite tiki, but goes with the loss of blood theme...just got a fourth finished tonight but needs stain so you'll have to wait.....love the knife AND love my new kevlar glove that saved me 2 or 3 times ALREADY!!! Man, am I a spaz....enjoy...

Great work Clyde...this stuff is beginnin' to sound dangerous..ouch!!

M

Nice skull!!! Keep going!

They make a high quality Kevlar vest for when you decide to use the saw!

Mahalo

McTiki

Man!! You are pushin them out. They look great and I love the skull. How big are they? Watch out - the smaller the tikis bite harder!!

D

wonderful work. going to inspire me to try my hand at it again.

Dig that skull- You're doing some nice work!

thanks guys....yea, the hook knife is quite a find...and besides the near suicide...I really enjoy it...and yes, i'm getting a full kevlar vest/hood/boots/cape/underpants so I'll be ok!

T

It's the Kevlar underpants that will save your ass!

Here is an new guy...6 inch basswood with a hook knife.....can't wait to learn some proper techniques for carving in a few weeks!! Hopefully some for wood also!!

I know it's not carving but in the interest of keeping one thread and the clutter down....here is a tiki on clear acrylic. 1shot black on the top and then colored in reverse from the bottom...sorry about the crappy pic but the reflections were murder...18x24

unique. design. concepts.
http://www.dlozeau.com

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2006-10-14 17:09 ]

Just finished up another one....not really tiki but monsters and tiki go hand in hand.....or hand in severed hand...

B

It looks like you are having Entirely too much fun with these.
That's NOT Allowed. You're gonna give us a bad reputation and Everybody will think all we do is Have Fun now,, That just won't work, so Rough it up a bit,, make it look harder, like you are having to Earn every penny. Thats it.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 15, 2006 7:27 PM

On 2006-10-15 19:03, Benzart wrote:
It looks like you are having Entirely too much fun with these.
That's NOT Allowed. You're gonna give us a bad reputation and Everybody will think all we do is Have Fun now,, That just won't work, so Rough it up a bit,, make it look harder, like you are having to Earn every penny. Thats it.

Ease up Benz! The guys paying in blood - how hard does it need to be? :)

Nice work, keep em coming.

No blood and some new stuff.....just got these guys finished this weekend...

first a 12incher, working on the hook knife again...

and then this monster 6 and a half footer got done....a little strange but that is what the log told to shape....so that is what you get....

looking forward to learing from the best this weekend!!! And first up I hope is how to sharpen my tools because I just can't seem to get my stuff right...

already looking good. i'll be waiting to see what you can do after the seminar. have fun!

M

No worries Clydes. Benz will help for sure, but, your cutting is just fine as is.

Kevlar is your friend

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Lookin pretty darn good to me!.

thanks guys....all this done with only 2 bandaids....wooohoooooo........

and yes, kevlar complete body suit in development....but for now a nice slash proof glove!

C

Just finished these guys over the last few weeks....

first up...3 inch tall "Hell-Pin" basswood and acrylic

Second is for a beer tap about 12" long...."Tiki Tappin"

and last up...3 foot tall palm log that I started at the West coast carving weekend!!....finished with 4 coats of spar varnish so its smooooooooth....Tiki #8

B

I Really love how that Palm log came out. Well done.

Thanks ben....I learned so much at the WCOO and I just got a new pile of tools and can't wait to stab into my next log!

You don't have to wait until your finished to show your work. what you been up too?

Buzzy

B
Bowana posted on Sat, Dec 2, 2006 7:39 PM

On 2006-11-08 12:58, Clysdalle wrote:
Thanks ben....I learned so much at the WCOO and I just got a new pile of tools and can't wait to stab into my next log!

Did you mean stab into your next log or next leg? :)

NIce work! I like your monster style, also the crossed arms on that one Tiki is a cool idea. Keep 'em coming!

C

Yea you're right Buz, I need to start showing work in progress...my bad......I just get in a zone and speed...but my next project will have pics of the whole journey...I promise!!!

Here is my Tiki from this weekends San Diego Chop chop...just got him done and stained up....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 278 replies