Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Clysdalle's Carvin....UPDATE! Frankie is SMOOOOKIN....time for hardware and GREEN pg 19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 278 replies

C

On 2006-12-02 19:39, Tikidav wrote:

Did you mean stab into your next log or next leg? :)

come on...I worked all day on saturday and only got a few splinters.....not even a drop of blood...a whole day!!!

C

Just got this little guy done for a panel sway over on sketchkult....

6" basswood.... "2Face" front and back.....

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 10, 2006 7:16 AM

Clys,

Seems like you are wearing out that hook knife? Do you still have most of your fingers? Thanks for sharing your journey here with us. What are ya working on now? Remember, progress pics are often quite interesting to the rest of us....

-Gman

On 2006-12-10 07:16, GMAN wrote:
Clys,

Seems like you are wearing out that hook knife? Do you still have most of your fingers? Thanks for sharing your journey here with us. What are ya working on now? Remember, progress pics are often quite interesting to the rest of us....

-Gman

all my fingers are here!!! got some shots coming of the new big tikis i'm working on...but till then more of the little ones...

Here are a bunch of new mini tikis....

6" Tiki bottle topper (hardware to come later) started tiki...then came out...weird....

10" Buck Tiki

Banged this guy out in a few hours....about 3 ft tall...my dentist would love a crack at this one....

Tiki 19

B

Clysdalle, I'm Really happy to see these guys coming out so great, and i Love the fact that you still have all your fingers. Great jobs

H

Crazy stuff, man! I like!

Thanks guys...each one I seem to learn more and more. I got a bunch of new logs so I hope to chip out a bunch more in the coming months!!

Here is some new stuff I got done after I got back from my hawaii trip over xmas....man that was a great time.....

first up...this giant root ball that has been asking to be carved. Once I got into it I found it very wet inside...but rather than stop I just kept rolling....crack as it may...

the second is a mask carved out of a big chunk of avacado tree I got a while ago. Great wood with a nice grain and pretty soft....he's hanging on the eve of my backyard overlooking the pool....the evil water up the nose guardian...about 2 and a half feet tall...

V

Awesome Dude!! Like the Avo piece. Is that a piece of Avo you got from me?
Root ball is insane!

C

Hey Von! how are things up the coast???? Yea that is the avacado I snagged from you...I have a little bit more left...can't wait to hack something out of it! Nice consistant texture and grain.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 2, 2007 5:35 PM

The rootball is cool, some Crazy Al influence seeping in there. I like it.

C

On 2007-01-02 17:35, hewey wrote:
The rootball is cool, some Crazy Al influence seeping in there. I like it.

Thanks hewey......yea it seems lots of influences seep into my head.....crazy al, care bears, old episodes of the wild wild west, thudercats...lots of seeping....

B

Nice Fresh, clean looking Hairball, crisp detail. The Avacado IS Pretty wood too.

C

On 2007-01-03 10:59, Benzart wrote:
Nice Fresh, clean looking Hairball, crisp detail. The Avacado IS Pretty wood too.

Thanks BA.....but i'll be honest...that hair ball is not as clean as it looks...I spent two days washing out the clay but it's still packed with the stuff...

B

You Never get all the Sand out. I was speaking of the carving part anyway. The Overall look is crisp and cleen!

C

Ok, Got a new guy done today and took progress pics the whole way through.....FINALLY.....after all the crazy al talk I used one of his drawer pulls as a guide...

Now here is the first step....after shaping the top of the head and debarking the log

Here is the rough shap of the top head and nostrils cutout

Now the teeth are roughed in and more shaping of the head

form is done....now sanding and taking out any rough spots

I used a tourch to highlight some of the features and did the final sanding...

and the finished Tiki.....still wet with a coat of spar varnish...

I know it's not carving but I also banged out this shrunken head also this weekend....8x8" enamel on clayboard

Thanks for checkin it out!

B

Cdalle, Excellent Shrunken head. That guy was really, Really Mean and UGLY BefOre he was decapitated and had his head shrunk. They didn't have to pour much ugly juice on him, Wow. Right ON.
You're a Sick puppy alright, SICK.

MN

WOW!!!!! What the hell are you doing carving?? You NEED to be painting!!

Your carving is really great too. Jealous of both, I am.

C

thanks guys....I just alternate between carvings and paintings....too keep sane....both let me relax in different ways. I have a series of shrunken heads and skulls that I just have to get down on clayboard...but most of my stuff tends to be a little non tiki...

my full gallery is here...
http://clysdale.deviantart.com/gallery

unique. design. concepts.
http://www.dlozeau.com

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2007-01-08 09:35 ]

TD

ok first that tiki is awsome, love the nose and teeth. second that painting is CRAZY! and i really like it.
great stuff looking forward to your next project

On 2007-01-09 20:34, Tiki Duddy wrote:
ok first that tiki is awsome, love the nose and teeth. second that painting is CRAZY! and i really like it.
great stuff looking forward to your next project

Thanks Duddy, I'm trying to get started on a big 6 footer and another painting this weekend!

Enjoyed "browsing" your gallery Clysdalle...some really fun stuff...I think my favorites are
the "Dos Hombres" pieces. Looks like you've knocked off quite a few carvings.

On 2007-01-10 19:46, congatiki wrote:
Enjoyed "browsing" your gallery Clysdalle...some really fun stuff...I think my favorites are
the "Dos Hombres" pieces. Looks like you've knocked off quite a few carvings.

thanks Conga.....yea the Dos Hombres series is a big favorite of mine too...I have a large longboard (skateboard) on my table ready for paint that will also have that same feel. The carving is a great break between paintings, keeps me excited to do both all the time...

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 11, 2007 5:52 PM

Awesome use of light in that shrunken head piece :)

starting on a new tiki and a painting?? cant wait to see them
have a good weekend by the way

Some new stuff....wanted to get back to the hook knife so I banged out some guys to use on my resin test. I've been watching everyone else try it so I'm going to give it a whirl...

First up....this little 6 incher playing with the design from the big one I did...

and this guy with the short little fat body....

And since I'm a rule breaker...just got this deck done tonight. Found the deck while walking the dog in the trash...thought it needed a new lease on life.....1shot on wood

you can see a bigger shot of this guy here http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/46824270/

nice work on the carvings and painting, but really love the 'found' deck. Inland drift wood turned into art. Awesome.

F

Those skulls are great, I like your style of painting and how if you stripped all of the meat of of the shrunken head it's skull would be just like the skulls that you've painted. You need to post those up in the other crafts forum.

B

Sweeeet Clysdalle!....I'm digging on the found object use with your art too...cool direction.

Babalu

Thanks for the great comments guys! Just started an art post over in the "other" section so I'll try not to stick too much in here but no promises, sometimes they just find a way in.

Well I finally got off my ass and got something done....still working on the my Tiki from the SD Chop chops and He's almost there...probably a few more hours of clean up and sanding....here are some work in progress...yes work in progress pics!!! I am ALIVE!!!..

B

Nice progress shots Clysdalle, this gut is really going to be Excellent. Nice lines and I Love the heavy looking Detail.

NICE looking so far! I like the big ol' head-dress. I hope you're gonna keep the chisel look, it looks so good.

great creation you got there. love it. the headdress especially.
good job

B

Beautiful, nothing more to say. You carve wood as well as candle.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Feb 27, 2007 5:56 PM

Thats coming along sweet mate! Can really see your style in it, especially the skull :) You should carve more!

Thanks for all the comments guys....

BA- I'm really trying to refine and get better with planning and creation. I think this is one of my favorite works because of the time that has gone into it...

TikiDuddy - I really tried to mix it up and push myself to try something new on the headdress and I think that is what I need to do from now on..

Benella- Carve as well as candle? or did you mean candy....i like candy :wink:

hewey- I really need to chop more...it's soooo much fun and really relaxing for me. Trying to juggle painting and carving is tough but I guess in the long run it's a great problem to have!

C

With that Tiki, it worth to know you're alive really! Keep posting please, for us to be sure :wink: , Congrats!
Candles? What candles, Tiki candles? Where? I like Tiki candles, and candy :) ...

C

On 2007-03-03 11:59, Clarita wrote:
With that Tiki, it worth to know you're alive really! Keep posting please, for us to be sure :wink: , Congrats!
Candles? What candles, Tiki candles? Where? I like Tiki candles, and candy :) ...

Thanks Clarita!

mmmmmmm candy again....

ok, here he is...all stained up and finished.....I must admit I love the goofy look holding the skull.....

and now on to the next big guy I started at the last San Diego Chop Chop....

H
hewey posted on Sun, Mar 11, 2007 7:26 PM

I think he needs some more detail in the eyes, but otherwise he's kool :)

On 2007-03-11 19:26, hewey wrote:
I think he needs some more detail in the eyes, but otherwise he's kool :)

yea, I hymmmed and hawwwwed over that.....I wanted a simple form....and could not find something I liked so I just finished him up and moved on....thanks for the input though...I always love to see and hear peoples reactions to anything I do....

because I'm an attention whore :wink:

B

Yes, he's a Keeper. I agree about the goofy look holding the skull. :) :)

I'm back!!!

Just got this guy finished....took me 2 chop chops to get him done...but finally....here he is...3' tall with one of my resin guys around his neck.

he'll be at the show this weekend also!

unique. design. concepts.
http://www.dlozeau.com

Current Works...
http://clysdale.deviantart.com

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2007-04-10 13:12 ]

Well the chips flew this weekend and I got this commission done...man I love monster stuff...

3' tall....TikiFrank.....

M
Moki posted on Sun, Apr 22, 2007 9:26 PM

Nice!!!

great work, loads of fun.

he just needs a bride...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 278 replies