Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Clysdalle's Carvin....UPDATE! Frankie is SMOOOOKIN....time for hardware and GREEN pg 19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 278 replies

i like the one tooth hanging out-great personality!
RAAAAAAAAAAWR!

Thanks guys....he was really a good time to carve. I have a pad full of sketches for a whole monster mash line up so its back to the lab!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 23, 2007 9:14 PM

Both look great!

Ive got a zombie skull idea brewing myself, should be kool

M
mieko posted on Tue, Apr 24, 2007 7:56 PM

He looks great! I think tikiracer is right, you need to make a bride. :)

Looks like you had a busy week with this and the painting for the swap. I'm feeling lazy.

On 2007-04-24 19:56, mieko wrote:
He looks great! I think tikiracer is right, you need to make a bride. :)

Looks like you had a busy week with this and the painting for the swap. I'm feeling lazy.

I would be lazy too if not for the fact that I was behind on both projects! I have a pile of sketches that need to be painted yellin at me to get going.....

B

Yes - Yes!....a Frankie's Bride with the hair and all...Love the mental picture I'm a seeing...Who ever stole this one from you should go for the pair.

The finish on this bad boy is tight Master C....can you tell more? Burn and stain? Nice colors.

Props.

On 2007-04-25 10:18, Babalu wrote:
Yes - Yes!....a Frankie's Bride with the hair and all...Love the mental picture I'm a seeing...Who ever stole this one from you should go for the pair.

The finish on this bad boy is tight Master C....can you tell more? Burn and stain? Nice colors.

Props.

Thanks Babalu!

the finish on this guy was an experiment the entire time...

I first sanded him down, then burned the dark areas in going a little light on the burn so the greens would pop. I then used a green water-based stain from Homedepot that I watered down about at about 1-1 and did washes of color. Once that was dry, 2 coats of spar varnish united all the colors with a soft golden hue and he was done! The stain really worked well with the dark spots....blending together nicely.

mmmmm.....beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!!!

Just got this commission done finally...been waiting too long. Benzart influenced face (guy loved the eyes on my half and half and wanted them just like that. 12" basswood with acrylic and stain...

I'm going to cast this guy and do a small run of resin taps if anybody is interested.

H

Thats awesome!

I wished you'd said 'beeer' earlier; it finally got me in to have a look at what you've been up to... Cool tap & Frankentiki is a unique style around these parts.
-But its the Masked-Tiki that does it for me! Its intriguing to see the 'string' back of the head & gets you wondering: what does his face 'actually' look like. A really strange concept; a carved figure hiding his face or pretending to be someone/thing else... Deep. I like it!

Tama :)

Thanks everyone....and Tama, welcome to the party!!! better late then never! I would label every post BEEEEER but then it would just be me passed out in a pile of pint glasses by myself!

Great tap, David! What did you use to color it? Stain, paint, both?

On 2007-04-30 15:21, 4WDtiki wrote:
Great tap, David! What did you use to color it? Stain, paint, both?

Thanks Bill! I used a wash of acrylic paint thinned with water and then stained over it...I had to add some green stain to get the pop I wanted.

B

Clysdale, you are Really making Loads of progress. I Love the Beer tap. You got no way to go but up. Just keep doing what you're doing. Nice stuff.

C

Thanks BA...again, I can't tell you how much your half and half demo helped...to actually see and have a guide to work from.....just perfect....I wish you could do piles of them...I'd snatch them all up!

just got this 3 footer done....started him at the SD chopchop...ignored the rules and just went for it...why do what everyone one else is....enjoy!

That came out excellent! I forget, is it palm? And is that white paint, or ?

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 26, 2007 6:19 PM

Looks cool mate :D You need 2 - one for either side of the front door!

B

Clysdalle...this one is one of my favorites of yours. Very nice!

Still want to do the "Tiki Dog" sign? How's your schedule? let's talk.

Thanks peeps....

the painting was tough....first try I used acylic washes but the color was crap...so I spraypainted him white and then rattle canned all the detail in black...

and I'm still in for tiki dooooooogs...and the sign!

This is great. I have been wanting to do a similar pole of skulls, but I think your stylized ones are MUCH better!!

T

Hey there Clysdalle.. Which are the carvings are done with just your hook knife only? coz they totally rock!! what other tools do you use? By the way i wish you would do more of that step by step stuff.. and show us the tools you used to get a particular step done.. that'll be useful to newbies like me.. :D

On 2007-05-28 08:49, tikisam wrote:
Hey there Clysdalle.. Which are the carvings are done with just your hook knife only? coz they totally rock!! what other tools do you use? By the way i wish you would do more of that step by step stuff.. and show us the tools you used to get a particular step done.. that'll be useful to newbies like me.. :D

Hey Tikisam,

this guy is big and palm, so it's all chisels and handtools....my beer tap is done all with the hook knife. I'll try and do a step by step of my next guy along with tools and such...I just get rolling and forget to take a break and photograph...

T

Gee thanks a lot.. thats nice of you..
Yea.. juz wanted to say that this forum is sweet because everyone's always so glad to help one another.. its great to be part of it.. :)

B

C-Dalle, Step-by-step shots would be Great. I Love the spookiness of this piece and the Finishing is just Superb.

Thanks BA!....well he just got traded away so I guess I'll need to do another one for myself.....I think I'll go bigger...maybe 4 or 5 skulls. I have 2 new ones I'm getting ready to start besides the skulls so I'll do a step by step this time and stop being lazy :wink:!!

Wish I had a picture of Dave sitting on the couch with his blade,safety glove and tupperware bowl just whittling away...Watching him and Kirby carving so effortlessly just blew me away! Thanks again man,for sharing the wealth of knowledge and participating in the TC Mutual Inspiration Pact!

On 2007-05-30 08:48, little lost tiki wrote:
Wish I had a picture of Dave sitting on the couch with his blade,safety glove and tupperware bowl just whittling away...Watching him and Kirby carving so effortlessly just blew me away! Thanks again man,for sharing the wealth of knowledge and participating in the TC Mutual Inspiration Pact!

"TC Mutual Inspiration Pact"

now that is a t-shirt if I eve saw one!!

Thanks for allowing me to toss chips on your floor...next time it's a Bob Ross 30 minute painting contest....I'm callin you both out Kirby and Ken...it's goooo time! Fan brush and palette knife are the weapons of choice!

You're on!
I'm gonna paint the pants offa you two!
I'm gonna consult my King Okole tobacco pipe
and channel the whitey fro master himself!

ooooooh its on...afro's in da house!

get readdddy to rumbbbbble.....with happy trees

http://youtube.com/watch?v=auJGsHRdX_U

unique. design. concepts.
http://www.dlozeau.com

Current Works...
http://clysdale.deviantart.com/gallery

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2007-05-30 15:55 ]

Cly, whoa...saw the skull tiki in it's natural state at the SD Chop, quite different, looks cool.

Thanks cheeky!!

Wow!! Clys....your work is awesome! It beats the hell out of bra purses anyday!!

On 2007-06-17 21:04, Ticklish_Tiki wrote:
Wow!! Clys....your work is awesome! It beats the hell out of bra purses anyday!!

hahahaha...........thanks ticklish!! But I like bras too!

Good to know!! Maybe we could combine work for a show sometime....LOL

C

Just got this quick little guy done on the 4th...about 2 hours start to finish. Just wanted to carve something quick and easy.....

Here is another quick one I got started and completely finished at the last SD chop chop...just got a pic of him now....about 2.5 feet tall...

Davey,
that latest carving turned out Peachy!
Love his smug/noble expression!
You're tops with the Chops!

Well, perhaps you're all wonderin what's taking Clysdalle so long to post some new work...
perhaps you're thinking that he's lazy...
or drunk.....
or over it all....
Well the truth is ...
None of the above!
He's been makin me a custom Cannibal Tiki and i got it this weekend!
And it's REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAL Good! And I am all Smiley about it!
And to think.... that if i didn't beat him black and blue,he would've carved a
stock tiki with a stock concept.... :D
But No! David rose to the challenge of creating a Cannibal Tiki and even
accommodated my wife's request to put a butterfly somewhere on him.....
Well here it is! I hope you agree with me that this guy is INCREDIBLE!
Here's a cheesecake shot of my lovely wife to give you a size reference....

Here's a closeup of the five holes in the wood that he used as a starting point...

Beautiful! Don't you agree? great job Dave!a Million Mahalos!
Bob Ross is smiling down on you saying,"Well Done!"
If any of you folks are interested..I'll have this tiki on eBay next weekend! :lol:

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 12, 2007 8:32 PM

Nice tiki cly! LLT - a cannibal tiki with a butterfly? What's up with that man? :lol:

And all the while I just figured Cly was busy painting...

Thanks kinney!!!!!it looks great at your hut!! and Hewey, come on.....I was busy carving and not getting stuff done for the myth swap!! :wink:

there's a myth swap?
How do you get it on that?
Do we need to know Greek and Latin? :)

On 2007-08-13 08:32, little lost tiki wrote:
there's a myth swap?
How do you get it on that?
Do we need to know Greek and Latin? :)

look who is late to the party.....the myth swap was over at sketchkult.com and my time wasting has led me to drop out because I just can't see to get it done....I suck

A butterfly-eater?? (Tanagata-Purerehua) :lol: Madness! Im sure the LittleLostTikis' will love it!

Tama :)

On 2006-08-14 20:56, Clysdalle wrote:
Just got the 6 footer done this weekend. Took a huge chunk out of my leg with the angle grinder not paying attention the little bastard.......so here he is, the little blood sucker...

Clysdalle....the 6" tiki is a beauty and sorry to hear you injured yourself.
This is why I'm a BIG chicken with the power tools.

F

NIce detail with the springy antanae for the butterfly. Very cool.

thanks guys! he was a blast to do.....the first butterfliki I've ever seen :wink:

Finally got my Tiki Oasis Frank done.....he's about 20 inches tall and trimmed with bolts and staples, what ever frank needs! He was fun to do and I spent more time sanding this bastid than I care to add up...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 278 replies