Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Clysdalle's Carvin....UPDATE! Frankie is SMOOOOKIN....time for hardware and GREEN pg 19

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 278 replies

B

Excellent Frank Cly and I Really love the bolts and staples. Of course the obligatory greenish color is awesome to say the least.

B

Frankie looks great, Clys. Oozing with character and personality (and hopefully nothing else).

I've got your swap Tiki.

Hey guys....thanks....he was a blast to do...I have a whole bunch of ideas for a line of monsters so we'll see what come out!

Frankie looked great raw at Oasis,but now he's SLAMMIN!
great job mate! When you gonna do a Mummy? Creature from the Black Lagoon?
I think you should try a carved self-portrait..that would be the SCARIEST!!! :D

ok, just finished moving so it's been a while since my last carving....

Here is what I've been up too....worked on this guy at the PIFA festival and finally got him finished and stained up this past week. A fun mix of styles and textures. He's about 4' tall...."The Guardian"

I'm BACK!

RAD!
The Guardian is SPAZZMATIC!
And at 4 feet....FUDGE!
That would make a Splendid Impact on the viewer!
(if you dropped it from the 5th floor onto his head :lol:)
LOOKS MAD COOL with that stain job!
Man! Your Cuts are always so HUGE!
It's great how you can carve a tiki with great design/great personality/great texture and color/and great execution!
Love that little triangular flower on the front...
Can we see some side and back views? That would complete me! :D

hey thanks bud.....he's actually about 3' now that I measure...I'm a jerk...but would still mash somebodies head real good!

He is on display in Carlsbad at a small show I'm having at Salon 580 but when it comes back I'll squeeze off a few pics so you can be complete!

Nicely done and cool design!!

Thanks Aloha!! I had a bunch of textures and shapes in my head and wanted to give them a whirl!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Oct 15, 2007 8:00 PM

About time you did something....

:lol: Welcome back to it mate! Cant wait to see more from you

I know I know Hewey...but I'm back now!!! no more big breaks!

T

Great design and luv the color on that! 3' huh? Wow, that must be really really cool in person.

More pics!! I'm trying to picture it big, but comes off looking small in that pic. Looks AWESOME!

Thanks guys!!...I'll get some more pics when I get it back from the show...and I guess from now on I'll have to put something in the pic to give it some scale, or I can just start making up sizes.....34 feet tall!!!!

I'll have to put something in the pic to give it some scale, or I can just start making up sizes.....34 feet tall!!!!

look at you with you cute little photoshop skills :wink:

I think this is a bit betta....now that is a scale...

NICE!!!!!

You said 35 feet!
Yours does not follow the height requirements set by yourself!
Very Cool....but disqualified! :P

Damn rules....I'm always gettin screwed...blahhhhhh

B

Dude, you just made your Christmas cards! Sweeet! It was cool seeing this bad boy taking shape. Top shelf for sure.

Thanks bud....you can tell I've been hangin around you though, the bunny is creepin into my work!!!

Finally got some carving done on Saturday....plowed through this guy in about 6 hours total.....he's a huge chunk of wood...5 footer and about 200 pounds easy. Wanted a new moai for my courtyard...so here he is....

Cheeky Moai...

Badass!

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Nov 18, 2007 3:44 PM

That is a refreshingly unique moai right there. I like the he-man cleft chin! Reminds me a lot of one of my favourite comic characters:

Nice twist on our old friend. I like it.

T

Beautiful design beautiful color.

[ Edited by: teaKEY 2007-11-20 10:06 ]

Very nice take on an old standard!
Bravo CarvinMan!

Hey thanks guys!!

This was an interesting carve....I wanted a different feel but still that classic "been washed up on shore, could have been sitting there for a century" presence about it. This guy took a little blood too...I had him leaned over and was chopping away at him with my favorite 2" sweep flexcut when it slipped out of my hand on a mallet strike. The thought of my poor chisel hitting the cement gave me an instant tear, followed by a few real ones when I stuck out my leg to try and stop the fall only to have the corner jab into my exposed shin. Damn it.......still a bunch of fun and pretty quick...

S

Love it. Nice job he looks great. He totaly has his own style.

Great color to that guy! And I like the Darth Vader-style helmet!

.....that is no small log!!!! it's a fully operational tiki station!

B

YES I Love it when you take such Liberties with your Moai, makes them look so GOOD!

Hey thanks Benz!!!! As with most of my stuff...traditional mixed with a little flare of aliens, starwars, hotrods, rum and children's tears :wink:

Holy crap...has it really been 6 months since I posted anything in my carving thread? I've been painting, sculpting and general art debauchery but a bad back and a busy spring seemed to keep me away from the chisels. Well it's time to crawl back in. Just started this new carving for the Tiki freakout show at the Light Gallery in Costa Mesa this July. After a few hours of carving my hands felt like I had taken 6 months off ouch...

Pics thanks to bowana!

Starting to get get my design sketched out...

Listening to the tiki gods threatening harm to me if I do ONE MORE damn non traditional tiki :wink:

Ignoring the gods and letting myself run wild....I like green.

and after the full afternoon of chopping the SD clan you can start to see somethin brewing....EGOR!!!!

Nice wooden Frankenstein carving so far!
Tikis? Anywhere? Hello?

don't you worry mister...tikis are on the way...just want you to explode with anticipation!!! And if I did plain old tikis, what threads would you go to every day to cry in???? :wink:

wahhhhhhh.....clysdale won't do tikis......wahhhhhh wahhhhhhhhh.......I'm going to go paint 462356 more tiki paintings until he does :wink: :D

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2008-06-23 13:52 ]

B

Hi Cly, that Moai ROCKS, Beautiful job and Definitely a Clysdalle, thru and thru. The Leg's not bad either. :lol: :lol: Just don't do that again.
Your current tiki looks excellent too, Man you just have a Bunch of Excellent stuff!@

B

Hi Cly, that Moai ROCKS, Beautiful job and Definitely a Clysdalle, thru and thru. The Leg's not bad either. :lol: :lol: Just don't do that again.
Your current tiki looks excellent too, Man you just have a Bunch of Excellent stuff!@

Thanks BA!!! It's good to be back chopping wood. It's such a great way for me to take a break and recharge my creative batteries off the computer, away from the paints, away from anything else creative. I don't know why but I realize how much I missed it carving this past weekend!

Sure, rub it in to people who were tied to their computers trying to be creative.

You Suck!

S

Yes the Frank is coming out for sure.
Looking great!

On 2008-06-23 14:24, Clysdalle wrote:
I don't know why but I realize how much I missed it carving this past weekend!

I think you just missed the musubi. :wink:

damn...you might be right....but I missed carving a little too!

and tamales :wink:

Just got my carving finished for the TikiFreakout show next weekend.....I'm hoping he can battle mega man and the bunny men!

Fresh from the laboratory....Tikistein rises! Carved 40" palm with staples, screws and balls of steel! Monster heads rule!

B

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude,

great to see the early stages...but DAMMIT, we need to see the back end of the process.

Tikistein rocks! the color is perfect.

On 2008-07-11 14:13, BigToe wrote:
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude,
great to see the early stages...but DAMMIT, we need to see the back end of the process.

That's the part where he ships it to the Phillipines where they finish it...
Same place where all those knockoff Paipo pendants are made! :lol:
Actually,this one turned out pretty nice!
The trailer hitch and staples and such is pretty funny and totally Clysdalle!
This one's gonna be a cool addition to the FREAKOUT!
Total ONO bro!
:lol:

thanks guys! my Phillipino friends do kick ass work! And yes toe...those are big-ol trailer hitch balls for the neck bolts. I was searching around and just could not find any bolts that were big enough and then I came across this idea. Freak out!!!!

T

your photo of your work is so long and hard to take it all
in so I'm just focusing on this part at the moment. And I
add a couple of black dots for size comparison to
black dots. I like the screws :).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 278 replies