Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Queen K Update Sept. 10th page 16 new bone &pig mug

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 250 replies

S

Very nice! The color is fantastic.

C

Oh wow! great comeback, i agree with Benz It was about time!! :)
Love this new piece, very nice!

Thanks all, I appreciate all he kind words. I will try to take some better pictures, I was using my cell phone :)

It's nice to b back I have missed you all

Amy

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Feb 11, 2009 2:21 PM

Yay! Amy's back! Very cool design and a beautiful looking stone - what is it? Reminds me of our "Aotea" (Kyanite/Fuschite/Quartz) that is found a ways down the Coast from here (it is often much greener and bluer than this piece):

The string is a good idea and one I've considered myself. I've only recently wised up enough to always carve above a rubber mat with a sponge underneath!

hi Paipo! It's good to be back. The stone is Chrysocolla with some Malachite. It has a hardness of 3.5 so it is easy to carve. It also breaks easy :) It is easier on my hands too! Here is a picture of another rough piece.

I like this stone, it has a lot of veins and such.

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-02-12 10:30 ]

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-02-12 10:43 ]

T

Yep, beautiful color on that piece! Don't worry about the pics. I'd rather have better carving skills too! :lol:

Hi all, well I just started the piece for the tiki swap, hope you like it, only day one and I still take bad photos with the cell phone, sorry

The rock, pretty ugly here...lol

The edges carved a bit

detailed a bit more and carved a bit more

This is with more detail and then I have have to clean the lines and this is wet

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-05-07 12:43 ]

BD

nice carve. from what i can make out you did a great job i just wish your photos were more in focus. do you have a macro zoom on your camera? or maybe pull back a couple of inches.

bd

L
laojia posted on Thu, May 7, 2009 4:24 AM

I see what the art swap begin very well! Nice carve Queen Kamehameha...

J.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, May 7, 2009 3:28 PM

Sweet carve, Amy - the stone you've used is perfect for your subject. All that time away seems to have improved your skills - or have you been holding out on us?

H

Nice piece Amy, it has a vintage feel to it. Great job.

hi Paipo, glad to see your around, thank you for the nice comments, I just seem to be a bit better with rocks, certainly not that good, just a bit better with rocks, but thank you. :)

Laojia- thanks!

Big daddy, I added a few, its the cell camera, doesn't do well

Hiltiki, thanks, I will add the straw coming thru the holes as well, but first I have to get it all cleaned up :)

Amy

Looking very good Your Highness. How big is it? Looks to be 3 or 4 inches across? Is it a certain type of stone or something you found in the desert? Most of the rocks I find in the desert are Leverite - as in "Leave 'er right there" :lol:

B

AMY, AMYAMY, Really Happy seeing you posting your works again. Neat little stone work and NOT Ugly as you say but Well done!. Wish I was entering the Swap.

hi MDM, its about 21/2 inches, 2 inches wide. Its a river rock, but sometimes when you start caving these, the colors get a bit weird.

Ben!!!! Thank you, I miss your many postings!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-05-09 21:55 ]

BD

the couple you have added look beautiful. great work.

bd

Whoah! That is cool! I likey! I'm hopin' to get on some rock stuff soon too...keep 'er coming!

Don't often see the PNG in stone. It is very finely executed! Good job!

thanks Big Daddy, Surfintiki and sneakytiki, much appreciated.

I just finished cleaning up the last of the paint issues with the piece, and in the spirit of the swap, I did add some white and red paint to the rock, The rock looks very dark after it was sanded and polished. I dd not paint it brown. these were taken before the final clean up. I used Jute for the side pieces, it does look better in person , I hope you like it

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-05-14 12:47 ]

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-05-14 13:21 ]

Very cool, love the tassel "ears"

Very nice Amy, someone in the "swap" is gonna get lucky!

L

Very cool with the paint! Congrat!

TB

it's reeeeally cooool! I WANT IT!! :)

B

Definitely cool piece Amy, the colors are just right.

hey Queen K! wow-that guy came out awesome! do you know what type of stone it is? one of my current one's look much the same w/the brown coloration. again, great piece!!

On 2009-05-15 10:13, greentikipat wrote:
hey Queen K! wow-that guy came out awesome! do you know what type of stone it is? one of my current ones look much the same w/the brown coloration. again, great piece!!

It is a river rock, it was a medium brown when I started, then it turned different colors, but when sanded and waxed, it became this dark even color. I like it. River rock is never what it appears.

Mike, thanks, tasseled ears...lol
Conga, thanks, I hope they think so :)
Laojia, Paint is not something I would normally not do, but the swap was PNG style so, I hope it works.
Benz, as always thank you, The carve on this is my cleanest, so I am happy to stay with the rock medium for now.
Tiki Bai, thank you high praise from you, your mugs are amazing!
Greentikipat, thanks again!

Amy

L

Paint is not something I would normally not do, but the swap was PNG style so, I hope it works.

Seriously Queen K, I think it works!!!

J.

C

Very nice, it turn out great!

Thank you Laojia, much appreciated!
Clarita, i love your drums, thanks for the kind words!

Amy

Here is a Jade Pebble i got from Tama, it has many layers and it was hard as they kept shearing off. I wanted to do another PNG piece but it didn't quite come out due to the shearing. these are taken with my phone, so not the best

Amy

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2009 3:17 PM

Ooooo, I like the jade! Get some better pictures! I hadn't seen the pictures of the PNG piece without the paint - it's amazing how different the paint makes it look, but I really like how it turned out. I'm still trying to finish my piece so I can be in the swap. :)

Thanks again for the crash space and the awesome party! We should work on that mold and resin soon, I'll see if I have a weekend free soon that I can come up for.

Great PNG pebble pendant for the swap Amy!
This new jade one is startin to look pretty groovy too!
YAY!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 9, 2009 5:00 PM

Your PNG piece for the swp turned out great. Good job. GROG like.

B

Cool, now I Really wish I had entered the swap!

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Jun 10, 2009 1:42 PM

Luvin' the jade pendant Amy - Thanks for sharing.

Mieko- Hi I am so glad you guys came to the party, let me know when you have some time, would love to lern how to do resin
LLT, thank you! I am lovin the PNG
Benz thank you! you should have joined! It's a good amount in it this time.
Grog, thank you Ernie!
TikiG thanks!

I will try for better pics

Amy

CA

cool! oh, and thanks for the summer party kick off ... by the way!!!

thanks Al! great seeing you too!

Amy

Hi All, Well, I tried some bone, And did a boat piece, Let me know what you think. The spears are made of Manzanita wood, very hard, nice color, in the photo, not quite finished yet.

Amy

K
kirby posted on Thu, Jul 23, 2009 8:34 AM

thats a great idea.. nice work!!

T

This is coooooool. What a great idea. I like the contrast of the wood spears against the white.

BD

veeeeeeeeery niiiice amy. like it alot. keep up the carves. can't wait to see what other interesting ideas you come up to carve.

bd

Thank you Kirby, Big T and Big Daddy,appreciate it! The bone is great to carve, but tough to detail for me, I like working with it though. The wood is Manzanita and its very nice in large pieces, hard to show detail in this piece. I also like mixing 2 mediums, got that from Paipo!

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-07-24 10:11 ]

Ahhh! Get out of my head! :D I was just planning something like this...
Great looking piece. Your spears and execution are great!

C

Uuuh! I like it very much!

Great carve Queen K, nice use of mixed media

B

Amy, It's Really nice having you back creating beautiful stuff and sharing it with us. The canoe is great and you will find bone will bring out your best capabilities. Whats Next?

thanks Mango, Clarita, mike and Benz, I appreciate the kind words!

Benz, I like the bone and it is not so hard on my hands. I have a scroll saw for bone and wood and it helps with clearing out the big pieces and cutting up the large pieces as well. I will do more bone and wood, I love the maqnzanita, it has a preety color :)

Amy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 250 replies