Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Queen K Update Sept. 10th page 16 new bone &pig mug

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 250 replies

Benz, That is a good idea, I do have trouble seeing detail. I will get one of those. I will post more next week when I start to work on it. I really missed carving, I am starting to feel better with the tools too.

G, thanks for the compliments....roller coaster, I would have one, but they make me sick....lol I will stick with what works, lol I have some room left and a napkin to dream on...

Amy

here are some mmore pictures of my warrior man

I made the spear separate out of jade.... I was inspired by Paipo's mix of different medias. thanks for looking

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-05-23 15:08 ]

P

cool!

B

Sweet one Amy. I love the Jade spear!

Nice one QueenK. As adventurous as ever; good to see. This looks to have some nice depth/solidity to it, more like a wearable sculpture than a mere pendant.

Rock on!
Tama :)

Where do you find the time??

He needs an Eye Patch!

Arrrr!!!

Actually,my dear,
you need a tripod! There's little cheapie ones that have an attachment for your digi camera.Your boatsman carving would look even Snazzier in focus i bet! That's a heckuva lotta work! Good Job!

edit double post

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-05-24 11:20 ]

Thanks Guys, I will take it home with me this weekend and have my better half take some photos.

Benz, I really like this one, I remember seeing those pieces paipo does with the different materials. It definately worked for this piece, I also got the magnifying head piece you recommended, made a big difference on the detail.Thanks and glad you like it :)

Thanks Perry

Tama, thanks. I really feel close to this piece. The jade spear is from a piece of jade you sent me :) Great color!

Bamboo, alone at night in Vegas, the only time I have...lol

LLT, I am giving up and taking it home for my hubby to photograph, he takes better pics...:)

Thanks again all, your constant help and guidence keeps me trying to get better.

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-05-24 11:23 ]

hopefully this picture is better.

thanks for looking

Amy

CA

this is Crazy cool! nice!!!

Now I can see it!
Wow! Very very nice work! What a ball of talent you are!
After meeting you,it's hard to picture you carving...
I'm amazed!
Keep it up!
let's see some more! :)

Hi All!

I have been working on a new piece, I don't think I have a style yet, but I do seem to prefer deep cuts and angles on the faces. I want to thank Crazy Al, Bamboo, Perry and others who saw the spirit canoe in person and liked it. I am going to try and expand on that piece. But until then, here is a new piece I started, It is cut but I haven't sanded or did any finishing to it yet, just shaped. It's river rock, 21/2 inches long. Please let me know what you think.

Amy
Side View, Left, the hole in the mouth goes all the way thru

3/4 view right side

Full right side

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-06-06 12:41 ]

P

i like that amy. almost PNGish. nice.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jun 6, 2007 2:25 PM

Yep, very PNG in style - it reminds me of the Trader Vic's logo tiki. I like how you've managed to get it looking so good with so few cuts.
Here's a couple of Queen K originals hanging out in Paipo HQ:

This one is cool Amy.

Looks like the mouth is all open inside from the pic.

Did you bend a bit ?? and come up with a new tech.?

Cool.

B

Looking great Amy, he Seriously looks like he is Whistling while YOU Work! I wonder what tune he is whistling as he is obviously a Happy guy!

Thank you Perry, it is a bit PNG'ish :)

Paipo, you kept the broken one......I am honored you hung up the good one too, thank you
I like the deep cuts, I can't seem to do shallow. All my early pieces have very deep cuts and angles,The spirit canoe is very angular as well, so I am starting to see a pattern, even though this is PNG'ish. I keep trying new technigues and vintage styles to see what works, the spirit canoe I think is my best so far, and I really enjoyed doing it, I want to do more on that theme.

Ben, I did make the mouth hole go all they way thru and yes, I bent a bit, not on purpose...lol

Benz, he is a whistling happy guy. I definately like a happier piece, thanks for the comments!Love the dance couple!

Amy

Nice one Amy. You have captured something of a vintage/'pre-contact' vibe with this guy. He has that indefinable 'zoomorphic' thing going on where the face could also be another figure or form; looks magical & highly tapu/taboo. From the side veiw I can see a lovely curved canoe form...

Ditto what Tama said. I dig the Melanesian looking face and the canoe form in back. Nice work!

Hi All, its been a while with work and all, but I just did 2 more pieces that I have been working on. Please let me know your thoughts, I always appreciate the feedback

Amy

This is the Mask that a friend bought me, made in Mali. It was the inpiration for this new one. It was a plain river rock blackish in color, but as I carved it, it began to show all these color specks

This one is more along the lines of my canoe shapes, it's small, about 1 1/4 long. I also used a few pebbles that Paipo sent me. (thanks Paipo)

Thanks again for looking

Amy

Way to go Amy - There's the 'QueenK-style' verified with these latest pieces. You can see their ancestry/whakapapa/lineage from looking back at their Grandaddy above... Cool to see the mask that was the inspiration behind the first piece, and that you have also done your own thing with it. The speckled stone looks great, capturing that ancient feel again. The second canoe-tiki gets my vote however!

Rock on Sistah!

QK,

What is in the background pic of the mask your friend gave you?

Wood looking thing?

Dig the new ones. The mouth's are cooool!

R
Robin posted on Sun, Aug 12, 2007 9:26 AM

Oh...it is so humbling to be on this forum. These are great Amy, and there is a definite style. Like the carving better than the mask. Wonderful head dress. I like the second one best as well. Very strong, very individual carving. Less work, more carving!

C

Great new pieces Amy!! The one based on the mask is so well done, I like the stone,it's very original looking, and the other one is very interesting, Well done, keep rocking!

Thanks Tama, I actually agree, I like the Style of the canoe shaped one. That seems to be most comfortable for me, I have the jade you sent me and I think I will try a jade piece again. Thanks for all the feedback

Ben, that is a carved Folding screen, I did the patio in redondo beach, very asian... The screen blocks the neighbors...........lol

Clarita, I agree this site just inspires you to do more and get better, I would never have tried if it wasn't for those on this site. Thank you for the kind words :)

Amy

B

WOW the last pieces are awesome. Good work.

Benjamin.

thanks Benjamin,

Your carvings are really cool as well. Thats for the kind words

Amy

On 2007-08-12 09:26, Robin wrote:
Oh...it is so humbling to be on this forum. These are great Amy, and there is a definite style. Like the carving better than the mask. Wonderful head dress. I like the second one best as well. Very strong, very individual carving. Less work, more carving!

Robin said it so well, all I can add is:

I concur.

KS

thank you KS !

Amy

KK

GREAT PENDANTS!
Wow. Those are really really nice. Very "kahiko" style you have! The buggah's look amazing...
Ill keep checking your post, 'cause your work is pono!

Hana Hou sistah!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 15, 2007 2:47 PM

Well, I like the first one best! I really dig the way you modified the design and made it more tiki and less African, although it still looks lot like your mask. I'm always impressed by the depth you achieve too - you've obviously got a really good feel for form and what needs to be removed to get there. Much deeper than I go!

B

Excellent stuff Amy, Looks like you are really enjoying working with the stone, it Shows.
Keep up the great work.

Amy!
These last three are Gorgeous! Wow! You've developed the ability to carve thru stone and make it look effortless! The black-now speckled river rock piece is a Masterpiece! keep it up! :D

Are you going to Un-Wind this weekend??

kaha ki'i - Thank you, you are a master and I am overwhelmed you dropped by to critique my work, thank you!
Tiki Socialite

Paipo _ as always thanks! I love all your new stuff as well, I am glad you like the mask, it has more detail, although not really Tiki, it does show my ability better, love the headhunter!

Benzart - thank you Benz, your encouragement is one of the reasons I keep trying. Your always so helpful, thanks! I bought some new Jade and some other stones to try some different mediums, we'll see how they work out. I am buying more tools as well

little lost tiki- Hi Kinny, thanks, coming from you, that is a compliment. Hope to see you at Oasis.

RevBambooBen - aloha Ben! I am going to oasis, I will be at the pool and shopping and checking out the carving tent. see you there

Amy

double post

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2007-08-16 11:58 ]

Very nice work, QK.

T

Amy your stuff is getting better and better!!
Best of luck in all you do.

Lemoncello! :D

T

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Feb 7, 2008 7:59 PM

wow, almost 6 months since the last post...what have you been up to Amy?

B

Amy WE MISS You!!

Hi Guys, Working, working working..... I used to carve when I was on location in Vegas, but there is a full house now, so I don't have carving space. I miss it and all of you terribly!!!

I have been reading a bit here and there, making sure your all ok. lol

I will get back, give me a little time, I got some new tools and need to try them out :)

Stay well guys!

amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2008-02-16 21:39 ]

Working?

Busy??

........"The three cars to be employed in the series include the KITT Hero -- a Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR that is playing the part of the everyday Hero car with 540 horsepower; the KITT Attack -- a super high-speed version of the Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR Hero car that transforms into Attack mode with the help of air-ride technology and specialized body parts -- and a KITT Remote, which is a driverless Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR version of the Hero vehicle."

Arrrrrrsome!

Well, hi guys! Been a while, I just started working on a new piece, it has been a struggle, I broke the head and had to redo it to work. Its not done yet, the cord is used so I can tie it to my hand as I already dropped it once while I worked on it and I apologize for the bad photos upfront. Somehow I think rocks are easier for me :)

The stone is blue with yellow, blue and white veins, it has a hardness of about 4-5, easy to carve, easy to break. I will work on finishing it up and post more photos soon. It is good to be back carving. It is hard starting after more then a year, this is not my best by far, but with a littl practice, I hope to get back in the swing.

Amy

[ Edited by: Queen Kamehameha 2009-02-06 22:02 ]

B

WOW, Amy, it's About time you came back with more of your beautiful work. I see you have been practicing in your absence from TC and it shows in this piece.
Hope all is well with you. Things are better now that you are Back. :P :o

Hi Ben, Thanks! I am happy to be back. I missed you all as well.

I finished the piece last night and decided to make it more abstract since I can't really do the realistic style justice. I hope you like it. I am starting a new one tomorrow

This is a picture of the true color of the stone

This is a lighter image but shows the piece

BD

wow the color is just beautiful and so are the lines. i wish the photos were less fuzzy for better details but the piece looks amazing. very fine work.

bd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 250 replies