Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

www.FreakyBoutiki.com 14th Anniversario Tee Shirts by Big Toe

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 337 replies

By poular demand the fastest selling book in Freaky Boutiki history is back!

Shields Of Melanesia by Harry Bergan and Barry Craig is the first comprehensive book of its kind and illustrates more than 100 types of shields from all culture areas of Melanesia that used such objects. Around 80 per cent of the shields illustrated have never before been published. The book also explains why the use of fighting shields in the South Pacific was confined to Melanesia. Adrienne Kaeppler, one of the foremost authorities on the cultures of Micronesia and Polynesia, has contributed a chapter on the protective devices other than shields that were used in those societies, and explains why shields were not used. The typology of war shields used in the book is based on an exhaustive survey of the literature, on the field experiences of the authors, and on a survey of the collections of the major Australian museums.

An inexhaustable resource for artists and collectors alike.

(Yes Babs, I have one set aside for you.)

let me add one more thing...
Great Tiki Art
Foxes
and....
GREAT BOOKS!

Shields of Melanesia is a great visual reference as well as an informative gathering of information
about the warfare,dance.etc uses of these bulky artifacts!
Worth every penny!

Babs-go get this NOW! your drums will thank you for all the new motif ideas!

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Oct 1, 2009 8:05 AM

YAY! My book is in! Hank, please hold one back for Babs...

Now's your chance to own a piece of Huntington Beach tiki history. This Kona Huntington Beach Platter is an extrordinary 24" wall hanging by Lemon Grove Clay Master General, Babalu.

Normal FBG price is $350 but since Babs has a jones for expensive art books he's lowering that price for a limited time.

First to PM about this wonderful piece saves a hundred bucks for the special low price of only $250!

H

I had hoped more folks would enjoy a close look at Eric October's wonderful Rodan Tiki painting before it was grabbed up, but at least you can see how it looked in the gallery before you missed the opportunity to own it. Eric told me that the beautiful sunset in this piece was inspired by photographs sent to him by Brad TikiShark Parker.

Jared, Rodan's lucky owner, doesn't own a single vintage aloha shirt, however boasts one of the most impressive collections of original Tiki artworks by Kinny Ruzic and Big Toe among others.

More recent additions currently available in the gallery include:

"Dangerous Surf" by Big Toe 27"x33" $1100

"Starvin' for Surf" by Big Toe 15"x12" $400

"Trader Mort's Plushie" by Eric October 10" $45
(available exclusively through FBG)

"Arrival" by Ken Ruzic 36"x48" $3500

"Male Moko Marquesan" by 55"h 4WD Bill Collins $575

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-10-03 15:36 ]

H

Out of stock since August, we've just received a shipment of Hawaiian Sculpture by J Halley Cox and William H Davenport.

With 240 Pages and more than 200 b/w photos, this revised edition of the original specimen study from 1954 focuses entirely on figurative wooden sculpture of ancient Hawaii and offers definitive explanations of their iconic and symbolic features. It is a vast source of textural knowledge sure to fascinate collectors and artists who might be interested why the images they strive to copy bare the features they do. Including pieces discovered since its first printing, Hawaiian Sculpture is an essential addition to any home library of Oceanic art.

H

On 2009-10-03 12:47, hodadhank wrote:

Normal FBG price is $350 but since Babs has a jones for expensive art books he's lowering that price for a limited time.

First to PM about this wonderful piece saves a hundred bucks for the special low price of only $250!

SOLD

Sweeeet!
Congrats Babs and Hank!

And while you're picking up that Melanesian Shields Book
you may wanna take a gander at the Hawaiian Sculpture Book by J Halley Cox and William H Davenport
if you don't already own it...
That goes for ANY of you!
I just got mine at Oasis and man! What an eye-opener!
It's already inspired a couple of pieces!

Pinky's little bear Pep wants you to know that despite recent unpleasantness in the Southern California contemporary tobbacco industry, Freaky Boutiki has been a licensed tobbacconist since 1999 and maintains a thoroughbred selection of premium Cuban seed cigars for every budget.

Our perfectly atmosphered humidor boasts a wide variety of Montecristo, Partagas, H Upmann, Punch, Don Diego, Padron, Romeo Y Julietta, Mayorga, Bering, Rocky Patel, Royal Jamaican, Flor De A Allones, CAO, Arturo fuente, La Vieja Habana, La Unica, Davidoff, Acid and more.

Watch us this winter as we introduce new sticks from The Kauai Cigar Company.

In association with the Blair Estate, KCC obtained an old generation Cuban Pinar del Rio seed highly valued in Cuban cigar production as well as Habano, Corojo, Criollo, Connecticut Shade and Broadleaf seed. Kauai's mineral rich deep volcanic soil, fed by natural water from mountain waterfalls turned out to be a perfect growing spot for some truly extraodinary cigars of deep and complex flavor.

Nothing goes better with a good cocktail than a fine stogie and remember smoking is glamorous...

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-10-17 13:56 ]

Jonesy stopped by to pick up his Benzart Bono Lono! it was great meeting him and I was happy to see that pendant with it's rightful owner at last. We are grateful TJ let us display the piece for the appreciation of FBG visitors from all over the globe. Thanks TJ and great work Sensei Ben.

The beautiful Hawaiian inspire palmwood bust Alii-2 by the very talented Bowana David Lea found a new home this week! Congrats Dave.

OK, I'm totally bummed today because my little friend Pinky is moving to Colorado with her cradle robbing boyfriend to snowboard, make snow angels and catch snow fakes on her tongue. So this is her last weekend at Freaky Boutiki. Yup.

I've had fun teaching her to carve and she's been a pleasure to work with and always makes me smile. Considerate too. Dig this, She just told me that if I end up in prison she would visit me and bring me a shank. How adorable is that? Anyway please send out your good vibes to her for her safety and happiness.

Freaky Boutiki will miss you Pinky. :(

On 2009-10-24 10:50, hodadhank wrote:
Dig this, She just told me that if I end up in prison she would visit me and bring me a shank. How adorable is that?
Freaky Boutiki will miss you Pinky. :(

WOW...I don't think anybody would do that for me!! Good Luck Pinky!!!

M

A giant dog crate arrived on my doorstep.

Woody dog was not thrilled with the delivery.

Lucky for both of us that inside the box was a beautiful platter by Babalu courtesy of Hodaddy and FBG!

B

Great picture! :wink: :up:

Great Platter! :)

Hmmm. "FRAGILE" It must be Italian... haha.

Glad it arrived safe and sound. Cute pooch! Be sure to post a pic of it hanging in it's new place of honor. (Babs wants everyone to know these things aren't just for popcorn, "They be wall hangin's sez I"!!)

Freaky Boutiki ever expanding selection of Polynesian art and reference books has a stunning new addition.

In coordination with San Diego Museum Of Art we're very proud to offer Oceanic Art: A Celebration Of Form.

This 128 page full color publication documenting the exhibit of the same name on display through January 3 2010. The images within are exceptional and include figurative representations, tapa cloth, jewelry and weapons of war from across Polynesia.

For those who've been unable to experience the intimate exhibition in person, this limited edition catalogue should be on your Christmas wishlist. 2009 is almost history and this wonderful book will soon ONLY be available at a few choice locations nationwide like the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City and of course, Freaky Boutiki!

Get a copy before it's too late.

Special thanks to our dear friend Matt Reese, the middleman with the mostest for helping us acquire these gems...

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-22 18:26 ]

Looky here!

Our lovely model 4WD Bill Collins wants you to know that San Diego Chargers are numero uno and that Freaky Boutiki has some new snappy duds just in time for game day.

Yes these are official cool-ass NFL Chargers tie dyes, and while you'll never ever look as groovy as my buddy Bill wearing them, you should really try.

Wow....
Bill will wear ANYTHING! :lol:

Just wanted to second the Praise for Oceanic Art: A Celebration Of Form..
Great exhibit...
and if'n you miss the show
this book's the next best thing....
Lots of great photos with tons of detail
and even some writing stuff
so you can learn too!
Get yours NOW!

If you still haven't gotten your very own oversized Brad Parker tiki beach towel by Body Glove, what are you waiting for?

Only $14.99 while supplies last!

Tell us Pinky sent ya and get a free hug with purchase!

Tell us Pinky sent ya and get a free hug with purchase!

from you or Pinky?
:)

from you or Pinky?

Well, Pinky's surfing the Rockies these days so either Hodad or Toni. Hope you don't mind us swiping one of your greatest marketing tools, Kinny. :lol:

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-11-29 16:06 ]

H

Shennanigans!!!!!

Return of Son of Classic Shlock Giveaway!

Be the first to correctly identify the Classic rock album cover depicted below including band and year of release and recieve a stark raving free 10th Anniversapaloosa Tee shirt coutesy of your pals at Freaky Boutiki.

LT

Jethro Tull - Aqualung - 1971

comedy gold!
:lol:

I had to search to see how good of a job you guys did -

• excellent!

Freaky Boutiki's version of Pageant of the Masters. :lol:

Haha this was my first concert at the SD sports arena early 70's. I was 13. What a flashback Jethro Tull!

On 2009-12-03 18:28, LOL Tiki wrote:
Jethro Tull - Aqualung - 1971

We have a weiner!! Get yer butt over here for a free shoyt!

H

It's freaking cold in my office so I'm wearing a scarf. Yep.

It's super warm and hand made by Freaky Boutiki Hawaiian hearthrob Wahine Toni. Toni's getting ready to back to school and I'm sure buying one of her handknitted scarves or purses would help her buy some fatty textbooks! Take a peek...

Chargers colors??? Every well dressed tiki is wearing them this season!

Scarves are $18.39

Lg purses only $18.39

Medium strapped clutches. $18.39

Strapped ID pouches just right for an ID and wallet. $18.39

Purchases before Dec 25th will include a FREE Wahine Toni print! Signed and numbered by Toni and yours truely.

Aloha friends! The holidays are upon us and that means it's time to consume mass quantities!

Freaky Boutiki, one of the first and apparently last establishments in San Diego still proudly raising the tiki torch high, is here as always to help with your seasonal binging needs. There's a new kid in town too right next door: FBG boasts an awesome selection of handmade gifts and collectibles by some of today's hippest tiki artists from southern California and abroad, but we'll get to that soon enough...

Below we see our beloved grotto...

stocked with vintage and contemporary vinyl...

This excellent sampler from Dionysus Records includes Robert Drasnin, Lushy, Orchestra Superstring, Clouseaux, SSSU, The Tiki Tones, Chaino, Karla Pundit and a limited edition signed print by Tiki Tony!

Tribal art resource books make great gifts like Pacific Encounters, The Art of Tonga, Pacific Tapa, Maori Carved Pare, Shields of Melanesia, The Oldman Collection of Polynesian Artifacts, Body Ornaments of the Solomon Isklands, SDMA's Oceanic Art catalog and the essential Revised Hawaiian Sculpture pictured below...

Of course we also have imported masks for budget conscious stocking stuffers and collector newbies alike. Don't worry, we've plenty for you as your tastes develop. You'll be collecting Munktikis and combing the swap meets for old Coco Joes in no time but a twenty dollar hand carved mask is a fine place to start growing your kine vibe. Don't let anybody tell you different.

Attention Greasers:

Keep your Ducktail or Pompadour looking slick with these outstanding barber products by Murry's and Lucky Thirteen.

Junior's Gel Pomade for that one two punch over the weekend. Holds and shines. Washes right out!

White Lightning Deluxe Light Pomade when its time tio get slick. Guaranteed high shine!

For all you sinners there's Devil's Deluxe Medium Pomade with shine. Good Grease for bad people!

Treat you hair like royalty with Royal Flush Deep Cleaning Shampoo. Designed to keep your hell raising hairdo healthy and happy.

All Lucky Thirteen Barber Supplies specially formulated by Murry's and MADE IN THE USofA!

Hawaiian Island Creations or HIC as the surfers know it has specialized in high performance surf gear since 1971. This is a company I remember from when I was a kid and Freaky Boutiki is proud to be an official HIC dealer.

Their styles change seaonally so if you see a design you dig jump on it.

Here's a cool early 70's logo treatment on a chocolate cotton tee.

HIC wallets available in embossed bifold leatherette and heavy duty embroidered trifold nylon!

Yes there are still a few pair of Spam Boardshorts available. Sizes are limited and this design is totally discontinued.

Be your own little drummer boy or girl w/ these Fabulous Tahitian Style drums by Bay Park Buzzy.

You've seen Buzzy at Oasis, You've seen him hustling doo-dads on the grass behind the Catamaran Resort. You've seen him ballyhooed in Tiki Magazine. Hell, you've seen him half naked. But I ask you friends, tis this not the season to own a piece of the Super-stardom that is Bay Park Buzzy for yourself?

I maintain that Buzzy is an artist and these beautiful hourglass thumpers are certainly the hottest thing since Julie Newmar.

Carved of Palm wood with a durable fixed skin and rope accents, Freaky Boutiki Gallery is proud to offer these meticulously detailed hand crafted footed drums at resonable prices.

16"x17"
Features a bright pop at the rim. Perfect for thumb rolls.
$420

17"x17"
Features a deeply resonant center, midrange at the rim.
$490 SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2010-02-25 15:39 ]

Tiki lovers not fortunate enough to visit us in person may be suprised by our huge selection of Carribean themed clothing and gifts. Donn Beach spent his twenties soaking up the sun and sauce there and he knew the key to the perfect cocktail was in the exotic mix. So we're certain you can find a little of your own Carribean soul if you take a peek... Besides, you might just have a reggae lover on your gift list.

Onsies, Toddler and Youth Tees

Hoodies, Tees, Applejack Tams and Fedoras

Marley Campshirts

LOCALS tri-color slippahs... other colors too

Hard to find Reggae Tees

HEMPY'S of San Diego wallets, scout belts, Marley buckles and ballcaps

Hawaiian Island Creations JAHLOHA Tees

Beanies and baubles

Totes, Purses, Messenger Bags and heavy duty Backpacks

Hawaiian Island Creations "Bruddah Barry" Boardshorts and Tees

Girls Tees... Lots of designs

Hawaiian Island Creations Rasta Splash Tees and Boardshorts

Marley concert pints

Wahine Toni's handmade scarves and tams

SANUK Rasta hemp shoes.. er I mean sandals

Hey now! GD Montego Bay '82 & Rasta SYF Tees

Aloha friends and Mele Kalikimaka. Another years has flown by and it's time again for one of my yearly rants where I bitch about social injustice or settle old grudges by publically shaming fatheads who've pissed me off during the past year, but franky... I got nuthin'.

Surely, 2009 can suck it. Heck I've had more than just a few bumps in the road this year, but I'm overwhelmingly grateful that my generous and caring friends in the tiki community have helped me rebuild after yet another freak disaster (pun intended) to help me offer something new for tiki lovers worldwide in the form of FBG. You may expect cool things from us in 2010!

Everybodys been cool and I'm in a pretty good mood so instead of wasting alot of space posting frightening pictures of Darfur, Drowning Polar Bears or Glenn Beck, lets dig some cool art...

Oh, My most sincere and best wishes to everyone for a year full of good things.

Looky here!
Curious onlookers (possibly from Utah) dig the rap as visiting artist Heath runs the voodoo down...

We've carved alot of fun stuff at The Boutiki in 2009 and had visits from lots of fine folks. BTW, Any chisel carver is welcome to stop by and get their carve on along the boulevard with us. Simply BYOTools & Burro and get choppin, any day from ten to six!

We're happy to welcome regular exhibitor to FBG in Finknik femme fatale Erin Joy, Oceanside artist of multi media and talents.

Charlie Duncan with artist Erin Joy and her mixed media Hierophant at the TIKOT! Visions From The Tiki Tarot openning party October 31 2009.

We're currently hosting some of Erin's highly sought after sculpture, jewelry and barware. Come by and see for yourself or order one of these gems by PM right now.

Okay this is actually two cats named Ted and Drew at Tiki Oasis. Real cats. Why they haven't yet purchased this bitchin sculpture of themselves remains a mystery. Anyway it's $105

Ted & Drew Detail $105

The Crosstepper $105

The Crosstepper detail $105

Tres Amigos $350

Tres Amigos Detail $350

Dapper Dan Detail $210

Dapper Dan $210

Mod Burst Adjustable Rings all under $20!!!

Mod Burst Necklace $29.99

Pink Pelican Necklace $39.99

Shrunked Head $74.99

Fez Fink Necklace $49.99

Beatnik Bettie Necklace $74.99

Owl & Flower Necklace $74.99

Handmade, Hand detailed Coasters $42 set of four

Coasters Coasters Coasters!!!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-12-24 15:40 ]

Fantabulous work Erin!
Good Eye,Hank!

Merry Christmas to all y'all at the freaky Boutiki!
:)

Thanks Kinny, Erin's work is cool.

Here's another pic of The Crosstepper for an online customer...

And tonight's view from "the backyard"!

ok... need help here, due to not living close to s.cal, I've been trying to look up the web site for the boutiki.... Is the site down or am I getting the address wrong. I'm using the one from tier ad in tiki magazine

MN

On 2010-01-01 13:05, ka'lenatiki wrote:
ok... need help here, due to not living close to s.cal, I've been trying to look up the web site for the boutiki.... Is the site down or am I getting the address wrong. I'm using the one from tier ad in tiki magazine

Currently the website is in a state of relaxation, beach style. Give Hank a call at (858) 488-4924.

H

Um yeah what he said. Still looking for a reliable web mistress. I've been through five. However I will be happy to photograph items just for you. Simply send me a PM.

H

More surf inspired art @ FBG...

FBG welcomes surf board sculptor Ronnie Jackson from the historic seaside town of Long Branch, NJ.

Ronnie's uber cool pieces are carved from real boards by meticulous hand cutting of the original surface glassing, sculpting of the foam core, airbrushing and re-glassing.

Palm Hut Sunset $700

Waiting Dog Sunset $700

H

Still more surfy goodness...

Another new artist to FBG is Ocean Beach CA resident sculptor Bill Riley.

Ocean Beach, (O.B. to the restless natives) lies just south of Mission Beach and has a reputation for harboring all sort of creative folk who love the sea and sand. Visitors to SD may have already seen Bill's clay surf figures at Balboa Parks famous Spanish Village artists colony where he also works and displays. We hope you enjoy his beautifully handbuilt and glazed ceramic sculptures...

Kahuna Paddleout 1/1 $420

Hey guys trying to finally get my website up and running. feel free to visit and tell me what you think so far. I'll be adding shoppable pages and cart capability shortly.

http://www.freakyboutiki.com

oh please say "hi" on Freaky Blogtiki too...

http://freakyboutiki.wordpress.com/

H
Heath posted on Mon, Feb 1, 2010 8:22 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for letting come down and hang out with the Freak Factory gang Saturday.
The carving, the laughing, the people watching, the cheese-steak, and of course Toni's dancing.
I had a blast and look forward to doing it again!

I swear I'm going to throw something in a fire-ring soon...

What's this dancing you speak of? It didn't happen if there's no pictures to post here. :)

On 2010-02-01 08:22, Heath wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for letting come down and hang out with the Freak Factory gang Saturday...

Mahalo Erik & Heath for hacking up some doozies! Heath even got his pic in a local rag. He's so photohallucinogenic... While the January Blues event was anything but voluminously attended, it gave us all an opportunity to sawhorse around in public and Wahine Toni's crew wiggled up a storm to close the festivities.

Everybone here on TC knows FBG's latest artist from his work with Tiki Farm on the Tikinator mug design and shotglass, but he is probably most famous for his work in founding Maui & Sons thirty years past.

Rick Rietveld has been keeping busy with his instantly identifiable style celebrating Southern California, Polynesia, Surf and Hot Rod themed Lowbrow-fantasy paintings.

His work often featuring a cornicopia of pop culture references is insanely popular world wide and we are glad to have Rick's work here at FBG.

The following affordable prints are signed and framed.

'Lorelei'

detail
$225

'Shake-N-Bake' SOLD

detail
$225

'Isle de Mirage'

detail
$225

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2010-02-25 13:59 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 337 replies