Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

www.FreakyBoutiki.com 14th Anniversario Tee Shirts by Big Toe

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 337 replies

Blue Gaze by Ken Ruzik -$49

Face Inspired by Malu Board, Sawos Tribe PNG by Ken Ruzik - $59

On 2008-09-18 14:51, hodadhank wrote:
(LtoR) Study from Elma Tribe Ancestor Board, PNG & Study from Purari Tribe Ancestor Board, PNG by Ken Ruzik - $79 set

:DROOL:

H

Well then git yer butt over here Tom and at least put these on LAYAWAY! Those two are my favorite also. Only 25% Down buys a month!

A new generation of tiki lovers apparently willing to pay for handmade art?

You betcha!

Customers Cassidy & Nick sporting their new handcarved pendants, an Erik the Red shipwrecked Tangaroa & a Hodaddy zebrawood Westerfakin'.

I remember my first tiki necklace: Green plastic w/ clear gem eyes on a black plastic cord from Palace Amusements in Asbury Park NJ!

Mahalo kids! Wear them with Aloha!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-10-02 13:56 ]

H

It's XL OCTOBER for all you guys or gals who happens to be that rarest of all sizes: sadly unable to squeeze in to a Large yet drowning in a Double "X".

Well weep no more Inbee-Tweeny for WE have spared ALL expense to aquire limited quantities of torso coverage using a sweet little concept we like to call "EXTRA LARGE"...

I know! Sure, it seems obvious now...

Come to think of it theres some XXLS in there too. Whatever.

Big guys rejoice & Save 25% off listed prices till the end of the month!

*** REYN SPOONER Alohas & Tees!***

Veggie Tapa, cotton $74_____________ Asmat Fern & Panel

Petroglyphs & Tapa, Spoonercloth $74______________Tahitian Floral, Spoonercloth $74

Tikis & Tools, Spoonercloth $79____________Mod Squares & Tikis, Spoonercloth $74

Black Water Taro, Spoonercloth $79____________ PNG Tribal, cotton $74

Old Waikiki, cotton $74____________Tiki Stripes & Hot Rods, cotton $69

49th State, rayon $80 SOLD______________ Guitars, rayon

Longboards, rayon $73______________ Trader Vic's, rayon $80

Pacific Clipper tan_____________ A-Frame tan

Waikiki logo Tan_______________ Waikiki logo Slate

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-10-09 12:16 ]

Since I'd misplaced my draw blade it seemed like as good a time as any to give Antoinette the feel for controling the chisel using different combinations of angle and elbow grease. She's done some whittling on smaller pieces but the bigger tools are new to her.

Designed as a teaching project for Jackhammer Cait & Antoinette based on rough scetches by Erik & me, I'm hoping whichever of us is around at any given time will be comfortable refining any of the four masks currently "on deck".

The end results may bare little resemblance to our original drawings after but I always liked "Whistle down the wire". :)

B

Rock it, Antoinette!

When you gonna join us Dave?

XL OCTOBER TOO

Kahala- Vertical Hibiscus

Kamahamaha- Birds of Paradise

Paradise Found- Magnum PI

Paradise Found- Black Palms

Bohio- Guyaberra (seafoam green)

Three Stooges (No Shemp)

Go Barefoot- Tropical Clipper

Kamahamaha- Atherium

Dem Crazy- Brauhaus

Go Barefoot- Tiki Mugs & Palms

Maxx Boxxer- Ancient Chinese Secret

on it

Happy Halloween Everybody!

I've been delinquent in updating our ever changing lineup of exhibiting artists so I thought I'd start with something seasonal...

The spooky skull below is by our friends GoGo & Danni from GO TIKI.

Skull $28

Well known for their Re-Pop series using vintage molds to produce fresh Westwood and Duncan treasures, these Huntington kilnsters are great folks deserving of your support and appreciation. All are hand signed and dated. Please enjoy our current selection.

Re-Pop mugs, Stacker Set & Tiki King Ashtray only $28 each

Blue Repop ***** SOLD *****
Stacker Set ***** SOLD *****

Big Mo 13/25 LTD $56 ***** SOLD *****
Mo-Hine 13/25 LTD $56
Big Mo 14/25 LTD $56
Mo-Hine 14/25 LTD $56 ***** SOLD *****

Funkey Monkey Set LTD 23/50- $35
***** SOLD *****

RARE RARE RARE Artist's Proof #2 (yes I said number two)- $42

Ki'i Akua LTD 17/50- $35

Woodie- $28

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-19 13:30 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-19 13:37 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 14:31 ]

T

Those are some great photos of Gotos

On 2008-10-30 19:05, teaKEY wrote:
Those are some great photos of Gotos

Yeah! Hoping to have some GoTiki Santa Moai's in time for Christmas!

Mele Kalikimaka from your pals @ Freaky Boutiki!

Want a no-trampling guarantee this Holiday season?

Well spend your hard earned bread with the little people this year. Mom & pop shops with any longevity are a vanishing breed here in ol' the USofA. If you can't make it to visit us at the Freaky Boutiki, try to avoid the tempting and toxic Red Chinese bargains at HELLMART and buy a gift or two from your local Mom & Pop shop.

Till the end of the year we'll be showcasing recent and seasonal additions to our eclectic beach shop:

Originals and prints by Hassan Patterson
Jewelry & Christmas Cards by Heather Watts
LTD edition 2008 Christmas pendants by Meiko
LTD edition 2008 Christmas ceramics by Go Tiki
LTD edition 2008 Mele Kalikimaka Alohas by Reyn Spooner
A miraculous piece of toast featuring David Lea's iconic profile...

Also throughout the end of 2008 watch for fresh and last-chance goodies from our talented pals Squid, Bosko, Big Toe, Munktiki, Gecko and many more of your favorite artists!

H

Hassaaaaaaan Shop!!!

Our Tiki Freak Advent Calendar begins with promised wonders from Miami artist Hassan Patterson, but first I'd like to congratulate our friend on his Featured Artist expose and excellent cover for the new Tiki Magazine. Thanks for the floating worlds, man!

So, Here's your chance to own some of the pieces you see in the accompanying article and their equally Pattersonian cousins... Originals, prints and etchings. Come on, Haven't you always wanted to cliche someone to come over and see your etchings? Now's your chance!

**OK, Visitors of this thread know how purchasing works until our site is up and staggering:

No bidding.

No waiting.

Just PM if you see anything of interest.

First Come First Served.

Visa & MC accepted and we ship anywhere.**

"Moon Watch" acrylic on canvas
(see pg 22 of Tiki Mag winter '08)
***** SOLD *****

Ok from this point forward I'm completely making up the titles for these pieces. Where's that dang list.
Oh well, just wanted to fess up.

"Crazy-ass Space Tiki" original ball point pen sketch. matted. Amazingly detailed.
$200

"Floating World #2" original ball point pen sketch. matted.
$200

"Tiki & Beauty 1" original ball point pen sketch. matted (see pg24 Tiki Mag winter '08)
$200

A/P acid etch printing
$200

"Blue Lady"- archival print. matted
$80

"Fuscia Pin-Up"- archival print. matted
$80

"Cannibals on Monkey Island"- archival print. matted
$80

"Wahine & Idol"- archival print. matted
$80

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 14:06 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 16:45 ]

Surprise! Hey it's our friend Tiki Lee, owner of Las Vegas's coolest vintage tiki and contemporary modern collectibles store appropriately named Tiki Lee's.

As fellow Son of OKI and all around good guy, Freaky Boutiki is happy to offer some of our pal's WITCO inspired redwood pieces. Lee's redwood mod skull pendants are also available!

Tiki Lee redwoods clockwise from left...

Big Mouth 7"x14" $49.99

Diamond Head 7x12" 39.99

Mr Trilobite 7x12" $39.99

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 14:28 ]

Ho Ho Ho! I can't stop chuckling at this cute 100% handmade South Pacific Santa Christmas cards. Heather Watts' recent acrylic black velvets are also 100% fun!

Mixed media. each card is titled and signed by the artist.
$5.99
*** SOLD OUT ***

Got Ears? Well Heather's also been hard at work on her new line of bamboo jewelry featuring her colorful designs.

Haven't completely passed out from excitement yet? Well I've also got a handful of suuuuuper limited edition inividually made clay marq necklaces w/ jewel eyes!

ONLY $10.00
"AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!" thud

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-04 17:31 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 14:35 ]

GT

Going to Freaky Boutiki is like a Tiki candy store! Rita and Hank have done a Great job on supporting tiki artist, Thank You! Here is some stuff going to Freak Factory, Mo-Ho-Ho's #2 and #3 of 10 and a hand full of our Tiki Torch mugs, I hope you TC'ers have a chance to get there for some cool Holiday gifts and see all the cool stuff they have, Mahalo! Gogo

H

"Ahoy Matey!

The Castaways have ARRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrived!" - Cap'n Otis

A gentle and modest cat, David "Squid" Cohen deserves all the attention he's been getting lately and we say better late than never!

One of the true giants of modern tiki revival, Squid has been quietly laboring in the shadows of more flamboyant artists for years, sculpting mugs for almost every carver or painter you can think of in the genre. I'm very proud to announce our status as Official Exclusive Castaways Ceramics Dealer for San Diego California.

Yee haw Squidly! Vive la France!

BUT WAIT THERES MORE...

How about some suuuuper limited edition hand signed, low numbered Squid goodies?
"Hey Hodaddy whats all this low number shite?" Glad you asked.

Basically the earlier the casting the crisper and more detailed. As the run continues the mold deteriorates as often does the artist's patience with hand glazing each piece with the same attention to detail.

Baby Bob Mai Tai Trainer 5/100 signed w/removable rubber nipple $85.00

Yeti & Sasquatch Set (matching #'s) 3/75 signed
SOLD

Uncle Shrunkle three piece (head, brain & scalp) set 7/80 signed
SOLD

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-05 18:39 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-09 11:53 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 14:46 ]

H

On 2008-12-04 17:15, GO TIKI wrote:

Mahalo GoGo & Dani! Those Mo-Ho-Ho's are the bee's knees!!!! And as I recall the only torch mug we had at Oasis lasted about twenty minutes. One of the all time great designs! Hasn't the Mai Kai bought a batch of those babies yet?

S
squid posted on Thu, Dec 4, 2008 10:10 PM

Let me say this in the most tasteful way I can... GO BUY HANK'S STUFF! He and Rita are one of the few, the proud, the mom and pop operations! Never bowing to the multi-national corporate giants that consume everything in sight, turning retail environments into chrome and melamine-covered sterile wastelands of mindless, crass consumerism. No sir. These folks got C-L-A-S-S and stock only the coolest of grade-A stuff! And they're damn nice too. And I heard you won't get trampled there, or something...

H

On 2008-12-04 22:10, squid wrote:
I heard you won't get trampled there, or something...

Like he said.

Chances are pretty slim that your baby is as cute as my little friend Augie here, but have no fear...

Ona Tiki's cute tyke shirts featuring the distinctive designs of Doug Horne are sure to make even the fullest diaper seem a little less stinky.

Pint and Mai Tai glasses from San Diego's most elegant home-bar also available!!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-05 19:05 ]

On 2008-12-03 11:36, hodadhank wrote:

Haven't completely passed out from excitement yet? Well I've also got a handful of suuuuuper limited edition inividually made clay marq necklaces w/ jewel eyes!

Hank, love this marq, but I'm confused. Who makes it, you or Heather?
Thanks.

OOPS!

Didn't intend to mislead... these are 100% Heather Watts!

Only fifty in this first series total with each hand signed and numbered.

LT

On 2008-12-08 12:26, hodadhank wrote:
OOPS!

Didn't intend to mislead... these are 100% Heather Watts!

Only fifty in this first series total with each hand signed and numbered.

It's true - I dropped by Saturday afternoon and did not get trampled. Fair warning though; I did get a big wet slobber kiss from Monkey. And those Heather Watts pieces are super-nice, as are her Christmas cards.

According to my pals at Reyn Spooner, Christmas in Hawaii was celebrated 8 years after Captain James Cook discovered the Hawaiian Islands for the Western World.

The first Hawaii Noel was held in 1786 aboard the British ship Queen Charlotte, as it lay anchored in Waimea Bay, Kauai, the same bay where Captain Cook made his discovery. To treat his crew to a Christmas dinner, Captain George Dixon ordered a pig from the Hawaiian village on shore, had it roasted, and then, in the spirit of the season, concocted Hawaii's first exotic drink my mixing an extra ration of the crew's grog with some coconut juice.

The crew of Queen Charlottes's companion ship, King George, went ashore on Kauai and played Santa Claus, distributing small gifts to the people of Waimea.

Though they knew nothing about the significance of the day, the Hawaiians, with their traditional generousity, rose to the occaision. Chief Tyaana, aboard a long double canoe, visited Captain Nathaniel Portlock, skipper of the King George, bringing him a present of some pigs and vegetables. Captain Portlock returned the gesture, which pleased the Chief very much. It was the first exchange of Christmas gifts in Hawaii.

First introduced in 1983, Reyn Spooner continues the traditon of an annual Hawaiian Christmas shirt. Coveted by collectors and admirers alike, each year's new edition is offered as a Special Limited Edition.

“Hawaiian Christmas 2008” A collage of Christmas past, combined with Reyn's signature Hawaiian Nene Goose.
Cream reverse print, button front, Spooner Kloth: 60% pima cotton, 40% polyester. Special Limited Edition! $79 M,L,XL XXL

Dig this tropical ocean parade! A Hawaiian nautical collection decorated for the Holidays. We have a neighborhood holiday ragata similar to this each year in Mission Bay!
Button front, Beach Washed Blend fabric: 35% Pima Cotton, 65% Polyester. $74 M,L,XL,XXL

Of course we've always got a hand picked selection of Spooners more "Old Schooly" logo and design tees. All roud twenty bucks!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-20 11:21 ]

We save coins from our gumball machine each year for a So Cal Christmas Trip. This year: Disneyland! It also happened to be Erik The Red's Birthday! Happy Birthday Red!

B

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIC!!!

Hank what are your Xmas store hours? I have to come shopping for something.

Hey Babs, Got your message & hope you're feeling better. Be sure to eat plenty of carrots!

Freaky Boutiki Holiday Hours: 10ish till 6ish, but I'll always hang around if you call and say you're on your way.

Mieko's tiki santa resin pendant last year was such a big hit at Freaky Boutiki naturally I encouraged her to follow up for 2008... and what a great choice:

Mieko's 2008 Limited Christmas Edition Santa Moai!

Each Moai is signed by Mieko and dated as a 2008 Limited Christmas Edition. $20

hand finished resin casting
$20

***** SOLD OUT *****

Also dig these awesome Birdman pendant hand finished by Mieko at the Second Anniversary Gathering of the now legendary Tiki Carvers Front Of San Diego (not to be confused with the San Diego Tiki Carvers Front or those darn San Diego Carving Tiki Fronters).:wink:

hand finished resin casting
$20

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 14:09 ]

Look who we bumped into last night on Hodaddy Lagoon! It's ol' Sandy Claws himself. I suppose he came to watch the Christmas boat regatta. Something like a hundred boats all decked out in electric Santas and mermaids and the like... yep, Dont' miss this next year. It's viewable for free just steps from any of the Catamaran Resort's bars!

MO HO HO HO!

Only twelve more days till Christmas so it's time to surrender my stash of this season's highly anticipated Go Tiki Mo Ho Ho Ho moai mugs to new homes!

#2 & #3 from 2008's ULTRA LIMITED CHRISTMAS EDITION OF TEN!!!

On your mark, get set, GoGo!

***** SOLD *****

***** SOLD *****

Don't forget these other limited goodies from GoGo!

RARE RARE RARE
Artist's Proof #2 (yes I said NUMBER TWO)- $42

Ki'i Akua LTD 17/50- $35

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-19 13:40 ]

The Return Of Shrunkle

My last group of New Limited Edition Squid's sold in less than a day, but Dave was kind enough to send a couple more goodies. Mercie Squid.

Hey Squiddly howz 'bout a naughty french postcard from La GALERIE MEYER à l'ART OCEANIEN.

Low numbers, kiddies... low numbers...

Uncle Shrunkle 17/80
***** SOLD *****

Yeti- 4/75

Sassquatch- 4/75

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-17 15:44 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-17 15:53 ]

On 2008-12-12 17:10, Babalu wrote:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY ERIC!!!

Hank what are your Xmas store hours? I have to come shopping for something.

Thanks Babs! If the merch is sellin I'll be there Chistmas eve 'till 6 or when Boss Lady lets us go. Call us from the mobile if you are coming down so we are sure to stay.

Just so ya knows, we still have a few 'Ona Tiki lamps.

Gas is now low enough now you can start burning that electricity for your home bar parties.....

Niceeeeeeeeeeeeee. All of it, I'll take one of each please. :lol:

On 2008-12-14 17:30, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Just so ya knows, we still have a few 'Ona Tiki lamps.

Gas is now low enough now you can start burning that electricity for your home bar parties.....

Yes Indeedy these are legendary often imitated OnaTik Originals.

If you ask any honest Southern California Poly-pop lamp maker they will likely tell you that Ona is Al'ii, and possibly the only reason they now have the knowledge to make lamps at all. While his field of peers has grown in the past several years, few succeed in duplicating Ona's signature simplicity of design.

Far from the hanging electric birthday cakes of his recent imitators Ona's work remains elegant, tasteful and sophisticated.

Ready to hang and plug-in, the smaller colored tapa barrels sell for only $150.00 each, which Augie says is a steal!

In addition to these are a pair of large lamps with some interesting Tiki History. A stunning 'Conga' shaped beauty over 3' long glows warmly wrapped in woven jute with a Samoan tapa print bottom. This lamp along with a vivid tapa 'Drum', pictured above once hung both above the main performance hall at Oasis6 and above the bar in the South Pacific Room at San Diego's Bali Hai. Own either of these handmade giants for only $299.

OnaTiki Barware including pints and Mai Tai glasses as well as tee's for the whole family all bare Doug Hornes distinctive artwork designed exclusively for San Diego's most coveted home bar!!!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 14:43 ]

"Yeah we tease him a lot cuz we got him on the spot. Welcome back..."

LEGEND OF THE LOST KIRBY

Freaky Boutiki is so excited that Kirby has returned to making fun tiki art!

I remember OnaTiki rattling off a very short list of younger carvers whom he respected and recommended I watch very closely over the next few years. I would meet one of these fellows at Oasis in 2006 and shortly after aquire this wonderful piece from him, then poof...

While Kirby's disappearance and subseqent re-appearence without having aged is, well damn it, THE STUFF OF LEGEND!!!! But his artwork has also eerily endured.

Buy this pre-abduction vintage Kirby now.

mixed media, 25" x 17", 10lbs, signed & dated 2006 $199
*** AVAILABLE ***

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-19 13:53 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 15:10 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 15:26 ]

Countdown To BOSKOTOPIA! (A Winter Wonderland)

Have you all been good boys and girls? :blush:

As one of Santa's official helpers I had the rare oportunity to visit Santa's So Cal Rancho the other day and hurried home with a sack of goodies hand picked and affordably priced by Santa himself.

These include FRESH limited edition ceramics, unique redwood tikis, masks, shields as well as RARE BOSKO ART hand carved redwood prototypes never before available.

Well don't forget to check this thread around 6:00 PM Pacific when we break out the Bosko!

Not yet. Come back at six. First PMed First Served!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-19 17:42 ]

(Sorry for the late openning. Our Wire filled box crashed around three and we had to call a geek. I was afraid I'd lost all the pics. Whew!)

I thank Bosko & Truus for their generosity, hospitality and great inspiration through the years. Merry Christmas.

Welcome to the gates of BOSKOTOPIA.

Stick close though this place is gaurded by woodpeckers, wiley coyotes and the occassional 40mph wall of flames.
We're so glad you could attend step inside, step inside...

Right this way past Bosko's Bumatay! (Sorry to say, it's only on display.)

Item #1

BOSKO Mod Shield, mixed media 17"x10" - $79.99

***** SOLD *****

Item #2

BOSKO freestanding moai, redwood, 17" tall $59.99

***** SOLD *****

Item #3

BOSKO Fetish Marq mug, ceramic

SOLD

Item #4

BOSKO ART Prototype, mixed media 29"x12" $99.99

Item #5

"Bosko was the first mug maker to start playing around with the Tiki Bob concept, and I have regretted not haven gotten any of the previous versions." - Sven Kirsten

Bosko's Mod Bob Meets Squid's Baby Bob!

Bosko Mod Bob(above right), ceramic. $60

& there's more...

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-19 20:26 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-19 20:31 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-20 12:14 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-21 17:11 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 15:07 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 15:16 ]

Get your stoke on! I just had to pop in my copy of James Brown's Funky Christmas.

BOSKOTOPIA continues...

Bosko in studio w 7 ft pre-millenium "Untitled" Tiki from pg18 Taboo: The Art Of Tiki

BIG things in the works. (and you should see Bosko do tricks on that bike!)

Look for BOSKO PNG masks at Freaky Boutiki in 2009!!!

OK ... back to BOSKOTOPIA

Item #6

BOSKO Mod Tiger Shield, mixed media, 23"x7" $99.99
*** AVAILABLE ***

Item #7

BOSKO ART prototype, mixed media, 29" X 12" $99.99
*** AVAILABLE ***

Never intended for sale, these prototypes are larger and more detailed than the currently available selection of tropical Bosko Art panels... and were burned just for you!

Item # 8

Kapu Tiki Room logo pint glasses, made of glass, $5.99 Please specify Brown or Black. Shrunken Bums also available!
*** AVAILABLE ***

Items # 9, 10 & 11
A connoisseurs selection to be sure... at neophyte prices!

Items # 9 & 10 (pictured above)
Classic Bosko Masks redwood, $59.99 each or the pair for only $99.99!
*** AVAILABLE ***

Item # 11 (pictured above)
BOSKO Moai Mask w/schmeckle (a Dutch word I understand), redwood $99.99
***** SOLD *****

Item #12

On 2008-12-16 18:44, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
When I first started creating Tiki mugs (in the early 90’s) people couldn’t believe I was asking the princely sum of 15 dollars each, this was very frustrating for an artist slowly creating each piece by hand. This is still the case with everything I create. I take a great deal of pride in my work and obviously we hope this is why you choose to buy our work.

BOSKO Santa Moai,ceramic, five glazes I believe.
7.5" of Rapa Nuian dynamite!
Limited Edition # 2/50 $99.99
***** SOLD *****

Well I hope you saw something cool. At least I hope it was better than that boring Autopia at Disneyland. Heck, I was almost eaten by a snake DURING a mudslide fetching these treasures! (Not really).

To know an artist of such exceptional talent and sound theory, yet sincere humility is truely a great joy.

Mahalo ahead of time for your purchases supporting one of California's most important tiki artists.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-20 12:52 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-21 13:19 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-21 13:34 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 14:51 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 15:25 ]

I didn't want to overstay my welcome at the so I controlled myself just enough NOT to ask to hear a sample from Truus De Groot's highly anticipated third solo exotica release. Let me tell you the self restraint was tough as you all know I'm sick for tunes.

The only Dutch Masters I'll be sampling this winter will be poorly rolled and filled with scrap tobacco. So, while I wait like the rest of the world, there's always Truus' first two discs which I enjoy greatly, spin often and recommend.

Since you positively NEED THESE DISCS in your collection anyway, why not treat yourself or someone you rub to a Special Holiday set of both Musotica AND Rancho Exotica repackaged to include creepy-cool Salton Sea photos as well as classic Bosko illustrations... Autographed by the artist herself?

Of course the packaging is merely a bonus! The real treat is for your ears as Truus' unique blend of urgent loping rhythms, industrial-ambiance and childlike melodies snake like whisps of smoke to the furthest edges of American Exotica.

Muzotica & Rancho Exotica SET Autographed $20.99 ***** SOLD *****

Muzotica & Rancho Exotica SET Autographed $20.99

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-21 18:08 ]

:music: Eenie, meenie, miney Moai... Which Artist-X will Omar buy? :music:

One of our best customers makes some tough decisions in the Grotto!

Not many of this X's work for ACME remain. A legendary dude who I've recounted my first chance meeting with elsewhere on this thread. So, I've narrowed it down to a few likely suspects including Rockin' Jellybean, I mean how many little skinny cats wear a wrestling mask in public. No contest right?

Oh well, just a few moai spice jars left so swoop in ye locals! :wink:

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-22 11:21 ]

OK the Pan-Cultural Consumption Cycle is almost over...

Just take a deep breath with me and get your bearings. Christians should be wrapping presents right about now, Jews are already giving them and African Americans are gearing up for Kwanzaa. All is right in holiday illusion world.

Whether you get money from Santa or Gelt from Grandma, the Kwanzaa of Obama is THE perfect moment in history to expand your Exotic Ports of Call rumpus room to include a few curios from the "Dark Continent". Sure it couldn't be further from Hawaii but it's as good a place as any to start your international carving collection.

Oh? Don't got one?

Too bad.

Cuz it's down the street at your local swap meet unappreciated as being not tiki enough for some people's swell tropical den or jungle love pad. I must admit I've always been torn by appreciation for both original native culture and its culturally insensative plastic pop bastard. I don't know whether to blame Art College or WITCO so I'm just going to stop tearing. I dig it all maybe you will too. For a great while I have wondered how items from various points along the voyage of forced African diaspora would be received here. I guess I'm gonna find out.

Relax! I'm talking about the American illusions: Donn Beach's Carribean... the Saints, Jamaica, Cuba (my mom lives close enough to Cuba to be a GOP VP nominee) with maybe just one teenie little Marcus Garvey rap on the side.

As an artist I can assure you you can learn things from the undeniably talented carvers of Nairobi, Zimbabwe and the Congo.
(as well as being the best place to find really sweet leopard pelts).

When I can spoil myself I buy up any inexpensive carving that I like or might learn something from irregardless of ethnology.

Does this make me less Tiki than thou?

Absolutely.

***** HEAVY HISTORY *** WARNING *** GRAPHIC ILLUSTRATIONS *** HANK AFRICA *****

Seriously...

Over three hundred years, eleven million or more people from diverse cultures throughout Africa were relocated against their will to the Americas. Some enslaved to work making rum which in turn was traded for... more slaves. In 1767 Caucasian Slavers could trade 130 gallons of Rhode Island rum for one African male, 110 for an adult women and 80 for a young girl.

Now, It wasn't always Europeans jumping out of bushes with nets...
As long as 3500 years ago African kings scoured newly conquered lands enslaving fellow Africans...seeking out artists and craftsmen to glorify his kingdom with their talents.

Of course the first European traders didn't value the most talented carvers and weavers in all of Africa. They just wanted someone else to bring the damn tea.

Many slaves having never seen the ocean before would spend three weeks or more lying chained in pitching seas tormented by captors who's language they could not understand. Usually English. The Colonies needed labor to build a nation and it's capitol from which slave owners might better pen self-evident truths.

Very heavy stuff. American STUFF. NOT just African American STUFF. Caucasian America, like one half of a DNA helix will alway be connected to THIS UGLY AMERICAN STUFF...

America has finally chosen an African American as President, # 44. Exactly forty four years since the bodies of James Chaney, Andrew Goodman, and Michael Schwerner were pulled from the mud. The same year this quaint brochure was printed... the ebb of TIKI.

Do we really get a second crack at Camelot?
Will it be a Camelot where everybody gets their own damn tea?

As Americans regardless of our tone, we share the ugly road of the past as well as the road of possibilities. If I am permitted a wish this year for Christmas, Hannukah and Kwanzaa is that we never forget what we've gone through to get to this very moment, and that we have learned.

• Hank Africa

***** TGIO *** TGIO *** TGIO *** TGIO *** TGIO *****

Whoa!!!! That was bumpier than the Matterhorn, huh?

Hey, I'm not trying to depress you man. Jeez stop throwing up already. Was the middle to mushy, the end too violent, or both?

Look, That's America's past & you're stronger than you think.

African culture flourishes anywhere it is persecuted, absorbing local traditions and creating itself anew without loosing the thread of heritage. You watch... Kwanzaa has arrived.

I grew up in a city with nearly 50% African American population, PhillyYo, preferred the African owned Pagano's to Geno's or Pat's Steaks and was welcome in the fascinating voodoo bodegas of the southwest where huge caucasian thugs are afraid to get out of their cars.
I KNOW black is beautiful,
I KNOW Mumia is innocent and
I KNOW you'll dig adding a little African flavor to your home oasis.
Already got some leopard print? See youre already on your way...
:wink:

A most well deserved Kwanzaa to you my friends.
Survival against all odds is truly something to celebrate.

-Hodaddy

(Yeah, I've havent written under this name since 1992. Check my incredibly boring 2-d thread to see more of this kind of crazy uncomfortable All American Trail of Tears, Japanese Interment STUFF you should remember at least once a year. It might even make you a better Non-African American).

"Some folks is even whiter than me
Some folks is even blacker than me
I got myself caught in the middle somewhere
And that's just where I want to be
I'm talking bout the outside
Talking bout the inside too..."

• Todd Rundgren, Upper Darby Soul Prophet

This version no longer sanitized for your convenience.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-23 21:53 ]

Hank:

Just change the text to all CAPS, use the N-word a couple times, blame Replublicans/Democrats/Unions for everything and that post will be perfect for this:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/rnr/

You should, like, teach a class or something...

On 2008-12-24 13:19, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Just change the text to all CAPS, use the N-word a couple times, blame Replublicans/Democrats/Unions for everything and that post will be perfect for this: buzzysskinheadpornlink You should, like, teach a class or something...

Yeah while I'm at it I'll just change the bible to give Jesus a monster truck and a mullet.

Are you drunk? Naked skinhead weddings? Homosexual Santas? Hobo Porn... what kind of link is this you crazy bastard! I keep forgetting you nearly cut your own head in half with a chainsaw.

My eyes are burning now. :o

And while I've no accreditation in CA yet, I don't really need much. Just my single subject credentials and I'm back in High school again shaping young minds... Hey, we should totally do it together! Shake & Bake brother! I could teach an introduction to race relations class and you could, like, teach people how to carve their name into their desk. It'll be groovy. Bring over your Degree and lets brainstorm.

Buzz, I really can't thank you enough for your support and enthusiasm over the years, basically because you've given so little, but Freaky Boutiki wish you a joyous Christmas and a prosperous new year non the less. lol

Please buy Kiva some roast beef from Unkle Hank. :cry:

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-24 18:38 ]

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-24 20:39 ]

I'd like to call your attention to the following M-word.

MUNKTIKI

Our friends from Pacific Grove have been very busy this season! Lots of goodies to thrill your tiki taste buds. As the only Official Munktiki Dealer in San Diego, (and to hear Paul tell it "the entire Northern Hemisphere") our prices will always echo those on the Munktiki website and we will occasionally have hard to find or discontinued styles.

Feel free to contact us at any time to request an up-to-date photo of what's swimming in the Munk tank.

Na Zdravi limited edition #54/100, limited color
Soviet inspired w/ a wonderful implied Lenin moustache and goatee!
*** AVAILABLE ***

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 15:48 ]

More MUNKTIKI

Watch out for that beak!

FRESH IKA ceramic, Limited Edition, ONLY 20 OF THIS COLOR MADE!
*** AVAILABLE ***

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 15:50 ]

More MUNKTIKI...

MOAI VOLCANO BOWL ceramic, center moai w/ deep resevoir for long lasting flame. UNIQUE

***** SOLD *****

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-12-24 20:24 ]

More MUNKTIKI...

MERMAID, ceramic, Open Edition, This buck toothed beauty just won't stay on our shelves. SHE'S GOT A GREAT PERSONALITY

*** AVAILABLE ***

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2009-01-03 15:39 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 337 replies