Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 16, 2007 5:23 PM

Mate your pumping them out! Great quality too :)

On 2007-01-16 16:39, finkdaddy wrote:
I have a question for you all. I know there are a lot of stories about Tangaroa being the god of the sea. I've seen Tangaroa in a few different forms such as the one above, but also as a twisty snake-like sea creature with arms and other ways too if I'm not mistaken. Is it safe to say that they are all different depictions of the same god, Tangaroa, or are they all different things?

Thanks again!

They could mean different things/interpretations.. Different Islands had similar mythologies, too. Tangaroa is Maori mythology- Kanaloa was god of the sea in Hawaiian mythology.. Associated with the squid or octopus.

J

I've looked at the eel about 6 times already, that is fantastic. You couldn't have layed it out any better, that piece has got some attitude.

Alright, now for the joke on the bone cook island dude.....

JP

It's been a while since my last carve. We've finally sold our house and the stress of the whole thing left me creatively dead for a short while. But now that everything's worked out I wanted to carve one more bone before the move. I'll be making a mold of this guy too just like the one I did for the last Tang. There's a bit of smoothing and sanding to do yet, but he's pretty much finished.
Your basic Marq

Marq and Tang, together at last

I'm packing up my computer tomorrow sometime, so you probably wont hear from me until sometime this weekend.
Here is the info about our move

Mahalo!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Feb 26, 2007 5:28 PM

Nice tatts mate :)

Looking good. So the FL carving ohana is expanding with a great addition. Let us know when you have settled in and maybe we can have Carving/welcome party for you.

H

So the FL carving ohana is expanding with a great addition.

Let me expand on that and say you are a great addition to the SOUTHEAST carving ohana (OK-so that's probably 90% FL). Welcome to the sunny and WARM south! Man aint built to live in Wisconsin! Keep up the great work.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Feb 26, 2007 7:56 PM

That is crack-a-lackin'!!

F

Both the Eel and the Octopus are quite superb, I'm blown away by those suckers on the Octopus, must have taken some time and pacience, look forward to the completed piece, a masterpiece me thinks.
Regards
Flynny

B

Hi Fink,

It's been a while since your last carving, indeed, but this marq is fabulous.
Goddluck for your move, I'm moving too but still in France :( still dreaming of USA's east coast :lol:

Benjamin.

B

Excellent parting pieces. Say goodbye to old shop and Hello to new garage shop.
I go for a sleep study test tonight but will be home tomorrow morning. I'll be lookin' for ya'

F

Hello again everyone! All moved in and back to carving once more. Florida's nice and all, but the damned tropical, floral-scented ocean breeze keeps blowing my garage door shut. :wink: It's a wonderful problem to have.
Here is a Seahorse that is a commission for a TCer. The eye is a little piece of pua shell from New Zealand.

I didn't stain this one at all because the bone looked so pretty as it is.

I had a visitor today. Anybody recognize him? I watched him work his magic with the hook knife for a while.

I actually had Benzart carving a tiki in my garage!
Here he is with my son, Brendan.

Thanks for looking everybody!

J

Wow! and Wow! One of your finest carves yet! And a visit from the master! Looks like this has been a great move for you so far! I'm glad things are going well for you! Enjoy this next stage of your journey.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Mar 7, 2007 5:28 PM

thats a real treat for sure.. theres great work goin on over in this thread i love it...

B

I can attest to this seahorse being a Beauty, It Really is Nice and he was Blind when I saw him. Excellent job Finky. Can't wait to see what you pull outta your hat tomorrow.

C

Holy Cow (Wisconsin reference) that seahorse is great finkdaddy...and who is that
guy with your son? Looks remotely familiar from Coontiki...is that the guy who runs
Nawger Nob? Looks like you are having fun in Florida...that breeze that keeps shutting
your door is just the tiki gods blowing you good luck!

HOK

Aloha FinkDaddy! Have you considered morphing a Tangaroa or Marq head with an Eel or Seahorse body?? Sounds like some eye candie....Aloha, Freddie

B

Wonderful pix with Benzart and your son, you lucky man.

J

On 2007-03-07 17:08, finkdaddy wrote:
Hello again everyone! All moved in and back to carving once more. Florida's nice and all, but the damned tropical, floral-scented ocean breeze keeps blowing my garage door shut. :wink: It's a wonderful problem to have.

Congratulations on the move! You are on fire with the bone and having Benzart as a mentor there will be no stopping you.

JP

Grab That Thing, Brendan!!!! And RUUUUN!!! I have a garbage bag full of candy for ya, in trade.

Thanks everyone! :D Ben carved for a bit with the hook knife for me, so I thought I should better give it a try. It's a piece of Makore(sp?) which is a bit harder than Mahogany, but easy enough to carve by hand. It has a wonderful grain. I'm roughing it out with power tools, but I'm going to try to detail as much as possible with hand tools, especially the hook knife.
Here he is so far.

When he's complete he'll be holding a spear. I should admit that he is loosely based on the gorgeous tiki that 8ft Tiki posted recently. His work is very inspiring!

Ben, I broke the tip off the knife you loaned me in about 3 minutes after you left. Sorry. :blush: Any advice for this guy? It's been a long time since I've carved anything besides bone.

C

:o :o :o :o :o

:blush: Thanks Clarita!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 10, 2007 1:15 PM

Finky's got wood again! :) big fan of your wooden tikis, keep em coming!

The weather was wonderful today; not too hot and mostly sunny. I planted a coconut palm in my front yard today. I'll probably be dead and buried by the time I get to see it bear fruit, but what can you do. Before that I carved another hook since I've had a couple of requests for them lately. There really is a ton of good artwork being posted lately. I can't believe that so many great people can co-exist here.
Inverted Hook:

Thanks again everybody. :D

PS. Those may be the worst pictures I've ever posted. Curse my camera! (or maybe my photographic skills :blush: )

I really like ALL of the bone pieces you have been doing lately!

As for the palm tree - the irony is - once it does start producing fruit it will be just the right size for a nice tiki. The chainsaw is calling!

[ Edited by: AlohaStation 2007-03-11 16:34 ]

B

Hey Finky, No problem with the tip, the important thing is how do you like the hook blade? It looks like you are doing some nice detail with it.
Love the tiki, just keep carving and cleaning it up and the detail will flow.
Love the inverted hook too ! Man you are just work, work, working. Keep it up and I'll be asking you for help.

AlohaStation: I imaging one could carve coconut shells, right? It would be an endless supply of material!

Hey Benz, I like the hook, but I think I'm too scared of it. Some more practice should help out. I think I need some different dremel bits though if I'm going to do bigger pieces like this.

Here is a starfish I did today:
Front

and back

Here is the view that greeted me this morning:

I love it! :D

F

Fink
Great piece, how did you do the suckers.
Regards
Flynny

Thanks Flynny. It's a little trick Benzart and Gman taught me using a cup burr and a sphere bit. It takes a lot of time but the effect is cool. I did it on my octopus piece too.

H

Cool--I really like the texture and the suckas!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 12, 2007 3:19 PM

That starfish looks great - both the colour and shape :)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 12, 2007 3:29 PM

"It's a little trick Benzart and Gman taught me"

You're not supposed to tell!!! Shhhhhh!

That starfish is freaking great! Now that was a really cool idea, why didn't I think of that?

-Gman

Thanks Hewey. Even though the design is pretty simple, it's one of my favorites.

Sorry Gman. I promise not to tell the trick involving bamboo slivers, rubber bands, and the jellyfish. :wink:

I wanted to add a third tiki pendant to my bone collection so I made this Lono today. I was looking through old TC posts trying to find pics of other Lono art and I was amazed at how many different styles there are just on TC. Pretty neat if you ask me!

Thanks for looking!

Your'e gettin' real fast and REAL good with these carvings Finky! It must be that warm tropical air....

Thanks Polynesiac! The truth is, it's a combination of the tropical breeze, the warm sun, and the fact that the transmission on my van exploded so I needed to buy a new car. :roll: I can't afford not to carve!

My thoughts were so loud I couldn't hear my mouth...

[ Edited by: finkdaddy 2007-03-13 13:31 ]

Adding to your collection with a blown tranny. Sounds like Finkdaddy's is open for business!!

I really like the smaller more intique pendants you've done lately. Good job.

Thanks AlohaStation!

Here is a resin copy of the Lono:

I pretty happy with him. :)

B

Awesome Starfish and Awesome Lono, Man Am I gonna have to call the Saint Lucie Fire Department to put out the Fire? Man you are gonna start Smoking soon if you aren't careful.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 6:29 PM

On 2007-03-14 10:45, Benzart wrote:
Man you are gonna start Smoking soon if you aren't careful.

He already is! :)

Thanks Ben and Hewey, I can always count on you! :wink:

Here is a commission I did today. I'm playing with a new camera for a while. I've finally got the hang of the macro setting, now I just have to find the right background and light source.

Thanks for looking!

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 15, 2007 6:17 PM

Man, pumping them out! :o

Another sweet piece mate.

T

Looks good enough to eat.

B

Finky Looks Great! I Love the Macro shots too. The only bad thing about them is that Every little ding and imperfection shows up. But that is a good thing if you use it before the finishing. lookin Good.

cool, fun stuff fink....like them

Amy

Thanks everybody! You're not kidding about the macro showing everything, geez! :roll:

Here is some progress pics on the piece of wood I've been trying to pound into submission. A ways to go yet, but you get the idea.

Ben, what do you think of the curves now? I'm not sure about the mouth area, maybe it's not right yet? I decided to round out the head too, it looks better this way. :)

Thanks for looking! Any advice or critique are very welcome on this guy.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Mar 19, 2007 2:05 PM

Finky,

He looks like one of the "Stray Cats"!! I love him! I'm gonna have to cry foul though.....how come you get to play with Benzo all the time now? And where did you get that fantastic piece of wood? No fair! I'm moving to Port St. Lucie - with my bolt cutters!

-G

Ok....I'm moving to Florida too! This just isn't fair that you get to hang with
the Benz and get two-toned wood to play with. Any other houses available in the
neighborhood?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies