Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies

that looks so good keep up the good work

Ditto what Gman, Ben and everyone else said Grasshopper. Grasshopper?
Nice work buddy, but I did notice that the grass is a little long in
spots.

Thanks Ben, Gman, Conga, Marcus, and everyone else who visits me!!
Well, I finally finished my Big Fink #1. I'm very happy with the final result, especially the finish since I was a bit worried about it at the begining of the project. I'm hoping to buy some tools with this guy.

I've started a new piece. It's much, much shorter, but it's a full round piece. I'll post pics when it starts to look like something.

Thanks again everybody!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 15, 2007 7:02 AM

Finky,

Man, what a fabulous piece you made out of that dusty old log! I am so happy to see you working big and to see this first piece come out so perfect. My hat is off to you sir, this rules!

If this is what your first Big Fink finished like....I can't wait to see the next! GO FINKY!!!

-G

Deeeeaaaamn! Thats some beautiful work, Finkster..

Wowie Kozowie Finky!
Hey, is this bad boy going up for sale, or are you keeping him? If you're going to sell him, WE CALL FIRST DIBS! What a fabuloso piece!
Dave & Coalbe

Fink,
that piece is superb. Great work!

That turned out beautiful. The two-toned stain job is perfect. That log was really dry and I had my doubts - not any more! Well done.

B

Finky, you have Really pulled out all the stops for this guy. What a marvelous First Big Tiki, Very WELL Done. I Love the slight coloring, just enough to add contrast in spots. You Better be Very Proud!

B

Finky,

This is MOST amazing! I'm stunned that this is your first big tiki....whoa!

F

1st Class, excellent stuff
Regards
Flynny

Thank you everybody! I had a lot of fun and learned a whole bunch with this one. It's interesting because the things that would normally be teeny, tiny details on a pendant become huge features on a full-sized piece.

Here is the next one I've started. It's already come out completely different than my original idea, and I'm sure by the time I'm done he'll be even more different still.

Big Fink #1 is still available. I've featured him on my website too at The Leeward Lounge.

Thanks for looking!!

H

Big Fink #1 is awesome!!! Nice detail work and finish! I think your neighbor is rubbing some of that Port St. Lucie talent off on you. I can see the 'Benfluence" in your latest works. Keep it up, bro!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 17, 2007 6:41 PM

Nice going Fink. Lottsa work going big, aye? I'm enjoying watching your progression here. Post another update soon.

-G

B

Lookin' Good Finky.
I saw this in person and Finky is doing an Excellent job with his #2 BigFink.

Thanks Surf-n-Turf, Gman, and Ben!

I haven't been carving a lot in the last week because I've been a bit under the weather, but today I got back into things. Here is the progress on #2. I'm going to let him dry out a bit more in the sun because the wood inside is real wet and mushy. It shouldn't take too long, I think.

Thanks for watching!

Holy s#!t!!! Big Fink #1 is super! You certainly have been busy!

From castings to carvings, everything is looking great! This is what I miss, for not hangin' around the forums in awhile.

Now, to get some scratch together to purchase a finkdaddy original!!!

Looking forward to the progress on Fink #2! Sure looks like he is having a helluva time!

As always fink, keep up the tremendous work! :)

Cheers! :drink:

sandz

J

Whoaa, The mouth is finktastic! You are a natural with the chainsaw.

• JP

Get hooked with a Shark hook glass.

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2007-05-21 15:46 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 21, 2007 4:31 PM

Dang Finky! #2 is looking sweet! I guess you weren't too concerned about going deep; there isn't much wood left! How mushy is it? Like soft woody soft or like oatmeal? I hope it dries up without cracking and lets you finish out the way you planned. Great stuff. I would like to see some more angles (pics). Any plans for the back?

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-05-21 17:36 ]

K
kirby posted on Mon, May 21, 2007 5:33 PM

great work dude..good to see you goin big..

Palm looks too easy for ya... time for some pine. :wink:

Looks good!

B

looking good Finky. I might stop by tomorrow to check it out in person just to make sure you aren't using Photo Shop to jazz up your pictures! I have a feeling though that it's the Reel Deel!

H
hewey posted on Mon, May 21, 2007 6:41 PM

Looking very nice mate :D Big is good!

Thanks Blacksandz! It's good to hear from you again. Will I see you at the Hukilau again?

JohnnyP, thanks again. I actually didn't use the chainsaw on this one. It's all chisels and just a little bit of grinder for smoothing some of the rough spots.

Hey Gman! It's not like oatmeal, but rather like moist cork. In spots the chisels wont cut, they only tear out the soft stuff. I am going to do a full head dress on him, but I haven't thought that far ahead.

Thanks Kirby, this big stuff is very fun. I can only hope to get my style as clean and impressive as yours.

Lake Surfer! I would love to try some pine. Have you carved any palm besides the one at the demo last year? It's weird stuff. It's almost like any direction you go is against the grain. Thanks!

Benzart, your welcome over any time. I don't even have Photoshop installed in my computer any more since I redid the drive. I can't get the disk to install again. Oh well.

Hewey, thanks mate! I see #1 finally has a couple of friends. I hope he isn't drinking up all your booze!

Here's a couple pics of #2. It's been slow going because my life's been crazy, but after a few short sessions I've been able to move him along.

I'm going to start drawing out the head dress now. Thanks for looking!

Lookin' great, Fink! Apparently the craziness isn't hurting your art!

Josh
http://www.whollycatsband.com

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 24, 2007 4:35 PM

Ahhh, pain and craziness are the two best ingredients for great art!

That #2 is lookin slammin, Finkster!! Lookin forward to seein the headress..

B

Beautiful second one. What do you prepare for #3 ? :wink:

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 26, 2007 3:04 AM

This guy is coming along sweetly Mr Fink-man. :D

I scored these bamboo coasters for 50c each at a thrift store. 5 minutes and some tape and Alien's moai and Finky #1 are hanging in style now :D

The coolest tiki art is not bought on ebay, it comes personally from my fellow artists on TC

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-05-26 04:09 ]

Wow Hewey, those look great! I love the whole tiki on a budget thing. Thanks for sharing. :)

C

Very nice carvings! I like a lot the front pic of the second one he has a very cute expresion. congrats!

Thanks Clarita!

Here is Big Fink #2, all finished up. I don't think the poly is completely dry yet in these pics, but the wind and sun should fix that right up.

I'm not sure what's up with that last pic, but he's been sanded silky smooth.
Thanks for looking!

M

Very nice Fink!

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Very WELL done Finky,Excellent detail.
I love the headdress and the teeth came pot great. The wrinkle on the nose is perfect.

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 26, 2007 6:29 PM

Looks great! Next!

B

Real nice work Mr. Fink....your speed at getting these guys done, and the quality of the carves are quite remarkable.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 26, 2007 6:43 PM

Finky,

This piece finished up very nicely. You had me worried when you commented that the center was mushy. He looks proud and pretty sitting there in the front yard now! I am impressed my friend, very impressed. I had no doubts that you would kick out some fantastic work when you went big - I was not disappointed.

I'm still looking for a full body from you though........

-Gman

Looks, killah, Finkster!!

B

Very good.

:D Thanks for the comments everyone. No body for this one either Gman, the wood is too thin. I might have a source for some full logs though, so you'll see one soon.
Here is the beginning of #3. I wanted to try something new. I'm not sure if it's working yet. Oh Well, we shall see. After I add some pupils the eyes should improve some.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 31, 2007 3:37 AM

Nice stuff Fink. I hear ya about the body. I can see where you might run into trouble trying to do it with this guy. If no body than what will you do with the rest of the log? Inquiring minds wanna know!

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 31, 2007 3:27 PM

Duuuude!

It's been slow going for me lately, but here's where I've gotten with #3. I'm not sure where I'm going with it yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll add on some sort of body just for you Gman. :wink: I'm thinking he's sort of modern-lono looking?

Benzart called me a yesterday and said, "Hey Finky, I've got some wood for you to take home." It turned out to be 7 huge logs ranging from 3.5 feet to 7.5 feet! I'm hoping to have a very productive summer. Anybody want my first full-body tiki? :wink:

Good work on your latest one Finkdaddy, I really like the open spaces, you are
off to another great start with this. Also looks like a pretty cool sign for
the Leeward Lounge....are we gonna see a full pic of that?

That mask is looking great. The negative space is really adding alot. So come on - give this guy a mouth already.

B

Nice pile of logs, got one done yet? I guess we'll be seeing a full body soon?
See you tomorrow?
I'm really loving your current mask.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jun 12, 2007 8:13 PM

Looking great man! Can't wait to see you hit those logs either :D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 597 replies