Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Flynny's Stuff - Strange lookin Moai 02/5

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

F

Hi Guys
I thought I'd throw this one open to the forum. I am based in the Uk and one of my passions apart from all things tiki related is Volkswagens, especially old ones. As such I attend a lot of VW based shows around the UK. A lot of the VW scene in the UK are surfers etc. One of my plans to subsidise the travel and show costs is to have a Tiki related stand selling all things Tiki, stone bone, resin and wood. Does anyone produce or could produce stuff at trade sorta prices??
Anyone interested, please email [email protected]
Thanks
Flynny

Note:- Everything I make is influenced by Cultures around the globe, non are designed to be outright copies only my interpretation of pieces, artists, designs etc.

[ Edited by: flynny 2007-05-01 23:37 ]

HOK

Aloha Flynny! I'll foward your request over to Gecko, I'm sure he can hook you up. In the mean time , you can check out his website, Geckotiki.com He has some new pendants and resin items coming in shortly...Aloha, Freddie

Bump. Can anyone help this brother out?

Ill try to email you tommorrow Flynny. Time is a bit of a problem at present but Im sure I can help you out a bit further down the track.

Good luck with the venture!

T3 :)

I emailed the other week but haven't heard back

http://www.cheekytiki.com

F
flynny posted on Sun, Feb 4, 2007 5:39 AM

Hi Guys
I will get back to you all guys, Geckotiki, Cheekytiki and PD Drake, but for the moment I am interested in smaller stuff that I can carry about, carvings, pendants etc, If I manage to sell one or two items I might consider a trailer, but for now have to carry my gear around in the camper so am a bit stuck for room.
Heres what I've been up to (reason I've not posted for a while), thought I'd share a few of the things I have been making, It gets quite lonely in the garage, be grateful for your comments, something for everyone.

Most of these are nearing completion with just final sanding/polishing and binding posts to carve, there's even a bit of Jade in there (Paipo, Tama) At the top Apple Coral Palaoa (I think that 's what it's called),
Next down Jade hook, Apple Coral hook, and a gorge hook made from red stone Idon't know what this is, I got it from a rock and gem fair in a cabbing bargain box).
Next row on the left Buffalo Bone hook with carved Moai at the top, on the right Koa hook with inset Tiger Shark teeth,
Next row on the left Whale Jawbone hook, right Sea Cow bone hook with small Moai carved at the base also hole for binding attractor.
Next row on the left whale bone hook, on right Ebony and Mammoth Ivory hook, next row, Sea Cow gorge hook followed by Mammoth Ivory gorge hook.
Next VW logo in Jade (Isnapped it while sanding) unfinished, gutted
On the right Amber gorge hook hook.
At the bottom are work in progress and projects
Sorry about the photos, as and when each piece is complete I will post a detailed photo.
What dya think.
Best Regards
Flynny

On 2007-02-04 05:39, flynny wrote:
Hi Guys
Heres what I've been up to... It gets quite lonely in the garage...

Jade, Apple Coral Palaoa, Buffalo Bone, Koa, Tiger Shark teeth,
Whale Jawbone, Sea Cow bone, Ebony, Mammoth Ivory , next row, Sea Cow gorge Amber...

Mate. You HAVE been busy! Looks as though you're well & truly - hooked! :lol: Bummer about the VW symbol... Quite a managerie there too; a great learning curve utlising the differing materials. There's a good looking stall already; Id stop for a look!

Thanks for sharing those. I would be good to see them individually as theyre finished...

Tama :)

F
flynny posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 4:37 AM

Hi
A better photo of the Buffalo Horn Moai hook, binding done ready for plaiting the cord

Thanks for looking
Flynny

T

Nice work Flynny!

B

defenitely cool stuff, Love the Buffalo Horn Piece and that Tower of hooks is just plain Awesome!.

F

Hi Guys
Another one for my stall

Mammoth Ivory gorge hook, Paua shell inlay, this ones quite large 2.5 inches long, just the binding post to do oh and plaitng.
Thanks for looking guys.
Regards
Flynny

F
flynny posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 9:18 AM

Hi All
Fullsteam ahead finishing stuff for the stall.
These two are Whale Jawbone binding and plaiting finished, just need to finish to clients size and attach toggle.

Thanks for looking
Flynny

Looking good Flynny.

Very crisp work; carving, inlays & binding... Are you leaving them un-toggled & finishing 'while U wait'? Good idea; I offer this with online sales & it is generally very well received. Some people dont seem to care/mind but the majority like that personal touch.

How long before the first market/meet?

F

Hi Tama
Thanks for the comments, your right I've left the plaits long 26 inches to finish where the buyer wants, I'm going to make different toggles so they can pick.
Peb is looking mighty fine, get him on a plane.
Cheers
Flynny

C

Nice! Keep them coming!

F

Hi Guys
This is Elwood, so named cos he looks like a Blues Brother with his Jade sunglasses, he's going to the show at the weekend but I don't think anyone will buy him. He was a nightmare to carve, made fromold Sea Cow bone full of little pockets which all seem to crop up when you dont wan't them to, nose mouth tongue etc,wrong choice of material for a tight carving, the bone just isn't dense enough, but I love him.

The other hook is a composite hook Ebony and Mammoth Ivory, will post a few more hooks up soon.

Thanks for looking, any comments welcomed
Best Regards
Flynny

Wicked. I really like the way you are jumping right in at the deep end & doing all these different things; you show great promise & it reminds me of my own path.

Elwood WILL appeal to someone; its just a matter of getting it under the right nose at the right time & for the right price! I know exactly what you mean about the sea-cow bone; whalebone can be very similar and I have found it best to avoid too much detail on these porous (or flecky-patterned) materials. The details are lost if the material is too busy looking or physically lost if too flaky in nature.

I like the way you have tagged in the barb on the ebony/ivory piece - snazzy. functional too..?

Just had a thought; you could make a VW symbol from two different materials; then you could call it a 'Combi' :lol:

--

F

Small hook approx 1.5 inches high, made from Mother of Pearl, one of my favourites

Had a few Tiger Shark Teeth left over from another project, this ones a bit commercial, but nice Koa Wood

Thanks for looking
Flynny

T

Hey Flynny:

It looks like you have this genre handled quite well. I really am diggin those hooks. Nice stuff!

B

Yeah, the hooks are really excellent, I'm HOOKED.

F

Hi Guys
Here's another one finished, made from Sea Cow bone, full of little annoying pockets. I think this might have challenged Tama & Paipo for the smallest carving. The Moai is approx 10mm high, it's carved where the attractor bit would be.
The red stain by the carving is where I tied red dyed Deer hair to look like the original hooks which would have had originally, Pigs hair as an attractor.
The pattern was taken from a 1928 study of Polynesian fish hooks.

Thanks once again for looking, all comments welcome.
Regards
Flynny

Flynny, your great work continues! Love the Koa/Shark tooth hook.

Thanks again for taking the time to make the scans for me. They turned out great and will be a valuable resource to me.

On 2007-02-16 22:22, flynny wrote:
Had a few Tiger Shark Teeth left over from another project, this ones a bit commercial, but nice Koa Wood...

A bit commercial?? You Pommys must be a harder breed than I thought! :lol: Should come with a warning not to be worn during, er in bed, if you know what I mean. Well, it depends on how you 'sleep' I suppose... :lol:
Dont get me wrong; I think its a very nice piece but maybe best marketed for display? Top binding fella! (not even T3-PO could have taught you that one; my binding knowledge base is deceptively limited...)

The Sea Cow Moai-Matau is another that looks like it should be in a Museum case. Any chance of flicking a pic of the original - Im assuming the original tiki face wasnt a (10mm!!! - 1st equal dammit. ah but the record was for stone; Im sorry thats a disqualification :lol: ) Moai but probably a figure to represent/invoke Tangaroa. The Moai is a novel touch though; nice one.

There is also a definate Flynny-style starting to come through & as with true originalty its quite hard to define.

Devonshire Cocktail & scone anyone?

F

Weird.
This one was discovered after a couple of glasses of wine, gazing into the structure of a small slab of Jade.
The following day I had another look and it was still there, armed with my new little combination machine (see workshop thread) I decided to cut it out, size is 2.5inches x 1.25inches.

Can anyone else see it or is it time to put the tools down for a while.
If we do get a swap off the ground and it's Moai flavoured this could well be a contender.
Ta for looking
Flynny

T

I don't see it, but can anyone see a nude women with no arms and no head??

F

Now why didn't I see that, Pervert:-)
Best Regards
Flynny

I can see it (cant see the woman though; wish I could :lol: ) but wouldnt go trimming around it if thats what you're thinking. The outline appears to be made up of 'feather'/shallow flaws as well as colouration..? If its just patterning thats fine.
You could simply shape the entire form & leave the figure 'in situ'..?

T3

P

i can see it. be careful. i had a piece fracture the other night on a flaw line. not much you can do about it except be aware and avoid it.

flynny you're doing some great work! you should post a how to on the lashing. i really want to learn that.

i think i'll buy one of those inland piece. it looks good for those who have limited space.

where are you getting your material like the mastadon and such? i can't seem to find a reliable supplier.

thanks!

J

Your hooks are great. Even the detail with the lashing is exceleent.

I see the woman and she does have a head, she is just looking down.

JP

F

Thanks guys for the comments.
PD check out the stone carving Q&A for mammoth info. I'll try and work something out for the plaiting.
Best Regards to you all
Flynny

H

With a little Photoshop enhancement, I can see her clearly! :)

H

OHH! and I forgot to say--those hooks look GREAT!

B

On 2007-02-25 05:26, flynny wrote:
Weird.
This one was discovered after a couple of glasses of wine, gazing into the structure of a small slab of Jade.
The following day I had another look and it was still there, armed with my new little combination machine (see workshop thread) I decided to cut it out, size is 2.5inches x 1.25inches.

Can anyone else see it or is it time to put the tools down for a while.
If we do get a swap off the ground and it's Moai flavoured this could well be a contender.
Ta for looking
Flynny

Dude are you TOTALLY Blind? Thats Maralyn Monroe! You don't see the big blond hair, big bosoms and shapley hips, C'Mon, Open yer eyes.

T

for all that can't see, she does kinda look just like thaT. I do see a face outlined in hair and one arm to that side now in the first Jade picture. Not the headless, armless at first sight.

F

No way TK that's pure Easter Island going on in that stone. Marilyn Monroe, huh, next thing you'l be telling me there's some Roswell type alien in there, oh hang on wait a minute.
Regards
Flynny

F

Hi Guys
Here's one I've almost finished. Mammoth Ivory hook carved around the shank with a Maori face. It's similar to one I saw in an Oceanic Arts catalogue, had to use gravers as well as the diamond bits as it's almost impossible to get into the detail. The dark marks are from polishing, gave the piece quite a hard polish to look aged, nearly wore off the detail around the mouth.

A close up of the carving, had to take the pic side on, other pics bleached out the carving. Will get on and bind the piece tommorrow.

Thanks for looking guys.
Regards
Flynny
A.K.A. Luke Stonescraper, Devons only apprentice Jadi

On 2007-03-09 10:28, flynny wrote:
Hi Guys
Here's one I've almost finished. Mammoth Ivory...
The dark marks are from polishing, gave the piece quite a hard polish to look aged, nearly wore off the detail around the mouth.

Luke Stonescraper, Devons only apprentice Jadi

Kia ora Luke. Looking good; I love the rounded form of this type of hook (Paipo made a stylised version of this type in stone a while back).
Just a thought: if you were wanting to remove that dark stuff (Im assuming it is some sort of polishing creme/paste..?) I have found that 'Handy Andy' (!) -with ammonia, is good. I used to use it regularly for removing the left over 'tripoli'/rougue left on silver jewellery after poilishing. Fill a small bowl with hot water & a teaspoon of Handy.A. Immerse the work for a minute then scrub with a soft toothbrush. This will get right into any little areas & remove that grubby build-up. Antiqued works well for this one though I reckon!

Cheers

F

Here's one I finished at the weekend. Made from a slab of Russian Jade I picked up from a RocknGem fair, I chose this slab because it's really monotone, quite different from the NZ jade and as I was looking for a piece of stone to make a hook similar to a Mimmo Diana hook I had seen in "Stone Bone and Jade" which looked really tactile and almost useable, also it was matt finished which I thought looked real nice. Here's the slab I cut it from

And cut out, worked really well, not faults or grain to worry about.

The finished article bound, I'm wearing it for a couple of days as I like it so much. Tama/Paipo have you used this material before?

Thanks for looking guys
Regards
Flynny
A.K.A. Luke Stonescraper

H

Very nice, my friend! You've really got a handle on the bone/stone thing. Looks fantastic--and may the force be with you!

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Mar 12, 2007 1:52 PM

Can you get some light through it? It doesn't really look like any Russian jade I've ever seen (which is usually super translucent)..maybe it's just the photos.
Sweet carve though Flynny! You're really nailing the hooks...

v TC Thread v

myspace

[ Edited by: Paipo 2007-03-12 13:57 ]

That really looks nice. Very clean and simple. Someday I'm going to have to study how you guys bind your hooks like that, it looks wonderful.

F

Paipo
It's strange stuff, it was sold to me as Russian Jade,the slab was approx 5inches x 4inches, and cost £19, in terms of my very limited experience it took as long to cut,drill,carve and sand as the other few pieces I've attempted. But it isn't translucent at all. I think if I continued to sand it would come up like glass.
What do you think, I am going to try and get another piece if I can.
I'm hooked out now it's on to some other stuff
Regards
Flynny

P
Paipo posted on Mon, Mar 12, 2007 2:54 PM

It looks a lot like the Cowell "Aussie Black" jade from what I can see of the photos. Most of the Russian I've seen is inanga (icy blue), bright green or "mutton fat" (creamy white with brown streaks). Looks like nice tight and clean stone whatever it is!

B

Looks Awesome Flynny, that stone looks great too.

On 2007-03-12 10:59, flynny wrote:
*Here's the slab I cut it from...

*And cut out, worked really well, not faults or grain to worry about.

*The finished article...

Tama/Paipo have you used this material before?

Flynny
A.K.A. Luke Stonescraper

--

Bam! 1, 2, 3! and on with the next one; this man is a carving Machine! This hook looks great Flynny. Could be sitting in a shop in NZ; style & quality-wise you are easily matching the jewellery of its type here (& better than a heap Ive seen too!) Ka pai!

Re; 'Siberian' I agree with Paip in all respects. Only trouble is what to label it as when you come to sell (perhaps I should say IF you come to sell... heehee)
I would suggest revisiting the place you got it from to pick their brains further, but if they've misidentified/mislead in the first place they're probably not going to be of any further help... It's all part of the learning curve young Jadi.

Keep it up!
Tama

F

Tama / Guys
Thanks for the comps. Having seen some "Black Jade" it is very, very similar only a dark green, I like it a lot and am going to try and get another piece.

Tama I received a package from NZ this morning, I have a new friend the "Peb" tiki, he is absolutely stunning and has pride of place in my possesions. I will send in the mandatory glamour shots that have been the trademark of Tama pieces soon. he is currently tucking in to a Devon cream tea, must be hungry from the flight.
Thanks also for the pieces that came with him, future brothers and sisters maybe.
I have given you a big rep in the marketplace.

A huge big up to you guys in NZ, without whom my carving experience would not have been enriched through a whole new world of stone, Jade in particular which has me hooked, your words and posts go above and beyond advice.
Cheers
Flynny

F

Hi Guys
I received a delivery of Mammoth Ivory, a section of tusk cut into slices, the two end pieces were triangular in shape, waste or scrap as my supplier called it. I decided to use one of these triangular pieces for a small project, a Mammoth Ivory thingy, it’s not quite as simple a piece to make despite it looking pretty simplistic, there isn’t a straight edge to it.
Turquoise cabs, reversed, form the eyes, with a scrimshawed outline to them. The binding is similar to the old style V grooves cut into the top and sewn to a pretty thick piece of Dacron.

Thanks for looking, on with the swap project.
Regards
Flynny

For the record it's my interpretation of similar Maori pieces. Cultural influences are in everything that I make, I consider myself deeply affected by all things Oceanic and it will stay that way. I for one think it is extremely healthy for guys around the World to embrace aspects of a culture in the work they produce. The day it's a real problem, my tools will be on Ebay.
Keep up the great work all you guys and gals.

[ Edited by: flynny 2007-03-17 00:53 ]

[ Edited by: flynny 2007-03-17 01:00 ]

B

Nice looking piece Flynny. I love the Long angular look and I Know the type of piece that inspired this and you are on the right track. Looking good!

F

Hi Guys
Instead of all these Palm trees and sunny beaches, I thought I'd share a Devon beach at the end of Winter. These Atlantic beaches don't get much sand until the big Spring tides which will completely change them, a bit of beachcombing for Basalt pebbles on Saturday.

On to the weekends work, this a trangular piece of the delightful greenstuff from Tama, I was attracted to a natural change of colour which sort of outlined the cheekboone of a Moai, Slab trued up and first cuts.

On quite a few steps, highlighting the areas requiring more work.

A few shots of the work at the end of the weekend.

And an arty shot, (Mods let me know if it's toooooo big).

I'm going to put this one down for a while, it's quite thick at the back and I'm still thinking of ideas of what to do there.
Big up to all the guys for their general advice on working the greenstuff.
Ta for looking
Best Regards
Flynny
A.K.A. Luke Stonescraper

[ Edited by: flynny 2007-03-19 11:44 ]

Pages: 1 2 64 replies