Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

sams mugs both new and our maori mug

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 192 replies

I also sort of feel the colors are bit too generic pastel . Though this will not stop me from purchasing one, I would rather see it in some shade of brown or some other deeper color. Great sculpt!

On 2007-04-04 10:36, theded1 wrote:
I also sort of feel the colors are bit too generic pastel . Though this will not stop me from purchasing one, I would rather see it in some shade of brown or some other deeper color. Great sculpt!

I get what your saying' bout the pastels, more traditional tiki colors might be better. In this case though Sea & Seafood Freshness equal Blue :) Perhaps other Sam's mugs will be more traditional. Looks Great!

On 2007-04-04 07:46, RevBambooBen wrote:
Olive Green,

Dark Brown,

...and a hint of Orange.

( new colors on exterior of building. looks real good!)

or, all 3.

Hey Ben is the sign still going to be blue I hope? it was on Sunday when I drove bye?

Aquamarine #3 is a nice change from the standard colors. The blue is average and the green looks like something that came out of the business end of a one year old.

S

here is another mug we want to do , it was the style that sams had in the past. Please let me know again what you think and give sugestions. thanks, alan

I borrowed these samples via Holden from Benzart's post ONLY FOR IDEA'S these are NOT official but I did see a mug something similar at Tiki Farms Mugoomba Bar finished in # 4,& the details of the mug looked fantastic & natural!

T

Great looking mug. Very vintage looking and I have nothing like it in my collection.

On 2007-04-05 11:39, teaKEY wrote:
Great looking mug. Very vintage looking and I have nothing like it in my collection.

That's because the design IS vintage, and NOone (well, very few) has an original in their collection :). A winning concept, if you ask me!

..now that is what a tiki mug should look like....

8T

With all the mugs being produced these days there are few of us who can afford them all or even like them all so we each find a way to decide what ones to acquire. For me personally, this design is top notch and one I do want to get when it is produced. Please don't tease us with this but see it through because we love the look of it and would love to own one. Keep us posted, it's awesome!

T

I like the green one best...It would match the lime slice in my drink.

F
Fugu posted on Thu, Apr 5, 2007 6:05 PM

That mug looks fantastic. I can't wait for it to go into production!

Classy! keep it all original -antiqued brown...but maybe blackened moko and swordfish, please!

NICE repro-sculpt, mahaloz to all involved -SsweeetT!!!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

M

On 2007-04-05 18:29, TravelingJones wrote:
Classy! keep it all original -antiqued brown...but maybe blackened moko and swordfish, please!

I like this direction conceptually. I'll sample one up to see how it pans out

T

Is this the only Sams mug that will be offered? There was also a vingage fogcutter mug mug available in either brown or green. Might this be offered as well? Look just to the right of the Sam's mugs in this pix

A closeup of the same kind of fogcutter mug.

UB

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga 2007-04-05 21:07 ]

TT

As long as we're reproducing items...how about those stuffed alligators?! I think they would look really good either in the original brown glaze or perhaps the new metallic silver glaze that The Farm just developed. :wink:

TT

Seriously, though, both this vintage style mug and the other mug designs you showed on the other thread look great.

This mug looks very cool!! Glaze should be #4 or #1. Can't wait!!!

[ Edited by: Freaktiki13 2007-04-05 21:43 ]

I like the green one... or the blue

So how do we get these?

On 2007-04-05 18:29, TravelingJones wrote:

Original yes, but it can't be just blah brown, I see a patina in that old graphic, like that #4 glaze but in a brown? is there such a glaze? Holden?

K

I think I kinda like this new guy better - when do we get to see them glazed?

I like the middle mug too!! It's a color you don't see often and it fits the mug nicely!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

P

What a great topic! Just goes to show that there is NO 'formula' for the perfect tiki! But we knew that didn't we? Everyone sees it differently as beautifully demonstrated here. Me? I love the cheeky little fellow and personally think that....wait for it, here comes an opinion...you've picked three great colours that most people seem to like - go for all three! You can't have too many satisfied customers, but I guess being in the trade, you know that! My favourite is the middle one but Sian likes the minty one on the right. I rest my case!

All the Best from Tiki Towers - Trader Jim (Make mine a Prawn Cocktail!).

[ Edited by: POCKETIKI 2007-04-06 05:50 ]

B

I like this one. Keep the glaze similar to the original.

H

I like this design better also. What is that red piece on the original mugs close to the face. Does anyone know? And Holden is red a hard color to do on mugs? I don't see very many in red.

M

red is a bit trickier but we've had good success w/the Drei Moai and will continue to expand in red, working on developing more of a matte/satin finish in the future.

This mug is intentionally a "bright/cheery" color. When establishments like Sam's make a large committment as they have in this case, the colors need to appeal to a broader spectrum of prospective clients. We've gotta "happy 'em up" a bit now & then. Trust me though that their Maori mug will be in a very "Tiki pallet".

You picked the best one.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Apr 11, 2007 8:35 PM

You picked the WORST one. The middle green one was clearly the winner.

Will look fantastic in my new Southwest Decor room!

Bringing back the 80's!!!

nice choice. Hopefully we'll be able to see a whole spectrum of colors sometime.

Since the middle Green one won't be used I'll take it off your hands this Saturday.

Thanks in advance.

me want one... how me get?

[ Edited by: morbidboy 2007-04-11 22:04 ]

Great choice..it will add a splash of new color to my collection :) .

S

I'm with Pocketiki. Do all 3 and track your sales.

Sincerely,
The Ever So Color-Challenged Cephalopod.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Apr 13, 2007 12:51 AM

GROG agree, do all three and track the sales. GROG willing to bet you Holden 100 dollars that at the end of 6 months after the mugs go on sale at Sams, that either or both the Olive Green or the Blue mug will outsale the pastel mug #3.

[ Edited by: GROG 2007-04-13 01:17 ]

I couldn't be more pleased with the winning color. Although all three are nice, #3 reminds me of the old Surf Green Fender Stratocasters from the early 60's - a color which was also used as a factory color on '57 Chevys.

I likes em all! :)

The mug rocks, I hope they can put a good mai tai in there.
Looking forward!

Ok guys here is the first run of one of the mugs tell me what you think . Also I am going to put some items up in ebay to sell and I will post a picture of them and let you know when it will be. so, if there is something you want you can get it.. The first thing will be the sign that was over the hostest stand in the loby that says "kuai cabana" approx 72 x 30. with styro tiki at the each side. I will post a picture later. Let me know if you have any interest

Looking good!

Are you going to offer both the white and brown interiors?

Buying off of Ebay is ok, but it will be much more satisfying buying them at Sam's itself.

C

you mean this one? (from a visit in Sept'04)
I like the tikis :)

That mug is an instant classic!

I also always liked those Styro-Tikis, too, and wondered who made them. They are not vintage, and appeared in the very infancy of the Tiki revival. They are very cartoony, but done with a feel for the theme.

THAT is a beautiful mug! I can't wait to buy one in person. When will they be available at the restaurant?

The Tiki design used for this mug has a rather compelling Polynesian pop history, too. It was used by several important Tiki Temples, who either based it on a original Maori Tiki from an Oceanic Art book (which I have not found yet !), or, as it was common in Poly pop, swiped it from each other.

I venture to say that Trader Vic used it first, on this menu:

..and it became the un-official Trader Vic logo Tiki, as they did not use any other Tiki design (and its variations) as much as him:
As table lamps (BOT p.6), On other menus (p.89), as swizzle stick, as cuff links (p.93), and most notably on their entrance doors and for the famous Tiki stem glass (p.95) (...did I leave any out?)

Then, also, the venerable Kona Kai chain used a variation of this guy, based on an Armet & Davis rendering, as can be seen on BOT page 143

So he carries a lot of Poly pop history mana. :)

The mug looks great...how do I buy one? Will begging help? :)

My wife and I were married at Sam's years ago, and I would LOVE to get one (or two) for our anniversary. I live in Huntington Beach, so driving to get them isn't a problem...

I've seen alot of mugs but I can't remember the last time I saw one with a belly button...I can't wait to get my hands around one, preferably with a Zombie in it :).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 192 replies