Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

2008 Northeast Tiki Tour (NETT)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 259 replies

B

Also, PAY UP SUCKAS!!!! lol :wink:

I'm sending reminders to those who havent paid yet.

Your seat is not fully reserved until you've paid for it, and there are hungry tiki freaks on the waiting list hoping that you dont.

As always, we'll see you on the bus!!

Although I don't want to rush the summer, I cannot wait for this!!!

J

Did someone say "Drink Bong"? I've gotta check that out!

I'm still working out my cocktail for this years Friday night room crawl... You never know what I'll come up with.

Someone kick the summer into high gear please.

Ahoy, Sully:

Please confirm that you've received my payment. It was sent to you around May 1st.

T'anks a bunch!
~Ramona

B

Got it. You're all set.

I'm sorry if the email I sent last week confused anyone. It got sent to ALL attendees, and I included a reminder for those who hadn't paid.

I just wanted to get word out about Tiki Hana, & the hotel, & get a headcount for the PEM.

Its all good. Things are coming together nicely.

A copy of email follows (in case someone didn't get it)....and if you've paid me, ignore the part about "For those who haven't paid yet..." Sorry for any confusion:

Alooooooooha!!!!!!!

I hope summer is treating everyone well and I have just a few quick announcements to make.

If you haven’t reserved a room at the Knights Inn yet, please do so IMMEDITAELY. They are releasing the block of rooms I had saved next week. We want to hang with everyone all weekend, so book now!! Knights Inn-Danvers Mass - (978) 774-6500.

Also, if you haven’t seen the NEWS section of the website recently, we have convinced tiki carver Tiki Hana to join us on the tour. He’ll be filling his truck with BIG carved tikis for sale (and some small ones too), so if you’ve ever wanted a nice big carving, but couldn’t fit it in your carry-on on the way home from Hukilau, or shipping it was too expensive/damage prone, NOW is your chance!! Save your pennies!!

In fact, we may have a few vendors at this years event, so save LOTS of pennies….just don’t let it cut into your raffle ticket purchases!! Lol

Also, for those who haven’t paid for their seat yet, please do so in the next week. If I don’t receive payments by then, I’ll have to release the seats to people on the waiting list, so they have enough time to make plans for the weekend.

Last, I need to hear from those who are interested in the Peabody Museum’s South Seas Art exhibit. This is a great opportunity for a personal tour of some fantastic tiki carvings & artwork. Don’t let it pass you by! I need a headcount ASAP to let the Peabody know. Email me back if you’re interested.

As always, HUGE mahalos for your support, and we’ll see you on the bus!

Bargoyle

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2008-07-16 06:58 ]

B

Sent this off in an email blast today. Please feel free to discuss.

Aloha Tiki Tourees!!!!

I come today with good and bad news.

The bad news is that the way we set up the reservation and payments for the buses left us open to a fuel surcharge and it is substantial. Diesel fuel IS nearly $5/gallon, so I completely understand, but it has put the NETT into a hole that it will not recover from. After speaking with a few past attendees, and friends, they convinced me I needed to write this letter.

I hate to do it. I’m a “my word is my bond” kind of guy, but I need to increase the cost of this years ticket by $5. That’ll make it an even $50.

Rather than re-send invoices, and deal with paypal & checks, I’d ask that you please pay the additional $5 when you pick up your badges.

If anyone has a problem with this, please email/pm me immediately. Once again, I’m sorry to have to do it, and I appreciate your understanding.

Now onto some good news!!

Our very own Granite Tiki has donated the services of his band for the Friday night party. They’ll be playing their unique style of Hapa Haole, Hawaiian, & all around party music in the middle slot during Friday’s festivities.

I can’t thank them enough for the generous offer, and as they’re doing it for free, be sure to buy these guys some drinks!!

Also, James (Primo Kimo) is spearheading the room crawl effort again this year, and it stands to be fantastic (MAHALO to Primo!!). For those of you who have committed to a room (thanks!!) PK will be in contact with you shortly.

For those who were “maybe” or “no”, its not too late to reconsider. Email me if you want in on what should be one of the best parts of the weekend!

Once again, thanks to everyone for their support, and we’ll see you on the bus!

Bargoyle

I certainly have no problem with it.
It's understandable in the current environment.
Nobody expected this to happen, and since it has, you gotta roll with it.
I still think $50 is a deal for all that we are getting!!

..sb

T

On 2008-08-06 17:07, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
I certainly have no problem with it.
It's understandable in the current environment.
Nobody expected this to happen, and since it has, you gotta roll with it.
I still think $50 is a deal for all that we are getting!!

..sb

Eloquently stated! I totally agree!

Beth

C
croe67 posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 7:48 AM

totally agreed with sb.....even with the $5, a total bargain for the weekend & getting to see these great East Coast Tiki establishments without having to worry about driving, etc. Not to mention the Fabulous company :wink:

See ya all there!!

In related news, I was chatting with Tiki Hana while shopping his booth at Hot Rod Hula Hop and he said he has some new, very cool stuff that he working on for NETT. So start pinching those pennies and bring your wallet.

-Rev

B

I'm glad everyone understands. Thanks for your support everyone!

I hated like hell to have to do it, but to make up for it, we've added that third band, and the raffle items...whew!!! just wait till ya see!!

The $5 bucks is no problem at all. I am happy to oblige. I'm so excited for this event! I chose not to host a room, but am more than happy to help others out. Besides, like Sneaky, I want to be able to see the bands. :)

I have my room booked! Yay! Can't wait to meet everyone! :tiki:

Tour Attendees! Please take a moment to check out some of the fabulous prizes that will be raffled off during the Tiki Tour!

http://www.northeasttikitour.com/raffle.htm
Don't forget to bring an extra wad of cash for raffle tickets!

Thanks very, very much to our Tour Friends without whom we'd be hurtin'.

Have you got something you'd like to donate the Tour Raffle? It's not too late! Just send me a PM. Want to expose your business on the Tour? Send us your promo items: swizzle sticks, matchbooks, coasters, bags, stickers or what have you and we'll see they get into the hands of those fun-loving attendees of the 2008 Northeast Tiki Tour.

Mahalo!

Awesome stuff! I can't wait!!!

I'm still looking for a gal to split my room with; any fab chicks want to share a room at the NETT?
PM me, por favor! I'm not gonna be in there more than a couple of hours a night anyway, so why not save my money for those cool raffle items!

Dibs on the Bob!!
alice b

I'm SO EXCITED! I can't WAIT!
:music: :D

Two weeks to go!!!!

-Rev

[ Edited by: rev_thumper 2008-09-05 11:09 ]

Just a reminder that NETT badges will be available for pickup on Friday 9/19, at around 4pm at the Knights Inn.

Primo will be on hand to greet you with a beverage, and the room crawl kicks off at 6pm.

Bands begin with 9th Wave (these guys are freakin' awesome!) at 7pm.

Dinner will NOT be provided on Friday night. Please eat something (you room crawlers need a good base) before you show up.

Also, the buses will be arriving/loading at around 11am on saturday morning, so please get some sleep. We've got alot of places to see, and need to leave on time.

Thanks again to everyone for making this event so special. I've said it before....in the end, its all about the people.

So thanks for making the dream a reality, and doubling this beast in just one year!!

I'll see you all in 9 days!

ps. Buy raffle tickets (its the only way we get out of the "red")!!!

And support our wonderful sponsors!!!

Buy raffle tickets (its the only way we get out of the "red")!!!

Also the only way to win cool stuff!

-Rev

I took Friday off from work, so I will have plenty of time to get to Danvers. Weeee!
I can always bring some food for people to snack on as well.

5 Days & Counting!

Anyone else coming in from the DC/Baltimore area?

B

Just a reminder to bring something warm to wear to the NETT.

Friday night is predominantly outdoors, and the weathermen are predicting a bit of a cold snap coming down from Canada.

Also, bring cash. Lots of cash. Its easier to leave each stop if its just cash...no waiting on credit card machines, etc....and the bars like having a register full of cash when we leave, and they want us back!

oh, and buy raffle tickets!!!

Check out the stuff we've got!! (and this isnt even all of it!!)

http://www.northeasttikitour.com/raffle.htm

Again, HUGE thanks to the Friends of the Tour for their generous donations!

Go buy stuff from these people!!!!

http://www.northeasttikitour.com/friends.htm

T

On 2008-09-15 09:37, Bargoyle wrote:
Just a reminder to bring something warm to wear to the NETT.

Friday night is predominantly outdoors, and the weathermen are predicting a bit of a cold snap coming down from Canada.

Thanks Mom it's nice that you worry about us! I don't know about everybody else but I was planning on a 90 degree day...

B

Final Schedule for NETT II : Electric Boogaloo

Friday, 9/19.

I'll be at the Knights Inn all day setting up, and in a general state of panic.

4pm Registration begins! Pick up your badges and buy some raffle tickets.

Also Primo is going to roll out some Mai Tais. This is the communal drink for the evening, above & beyond the room crawl drinks (he will not have a room, but will pour you one if you ask nice) Feel free to go get something of substance to eat at this time. We're not serving any sort of diner or anything.

6pm Room Crawl begins. First rooms open

7pm. 9th Wave hits the stage & tears it up. Second set of crawl rooms open

8pm Third set of crawl rooms open, 1st rooms close (or not...up to the hosts)

8.15pm Bamboo Saxotica hits the stage for your drinking & dancing pleasure.

9pm second wave of crawl rooms close (or not...up to the hosts)

9.30pm Waitiki hits the stage and Exotica madness overtakes you!

10pm Final wave of rooms close. Anyone wishing to re-open a room is welcome to.

11pm Waitiki finishes, and organized festivities are done.

11.01pm Bargoyle collapses to get the beauty rest he needs for the bus trip on Sat. Everyone else parties into the wee hours of the night.

Sat.

9.00am Badge pick up for those who didn’t join us Friday (shame on you!)

11.00am Buses load

11.15am Bus #1 departs

11.30am Bus #2 departs

Note, the buses run separate of each other for the first couple of stops. Get enough to sleep to be on the bus at your scheduled time!! You don’t want to be the guy/gal who makes us late.

4.45pm(aprx) The two buses finally meet back up, and then entire Tour crew devastates the last three stops.

11.10pm arrive back at the Knights Inn. Party continues to the wee hours.....or everyone is so shelled that we all pass out en masse.

Sunday.

11am check out & head to Salem for brunch at Brother's Deli (directions will be provided)

1pm Peabody Essex Museum tour

3pm We all part ways until next time.

We'll see you all in a few days.

also.... friday night..., under the stars..., with the bands, the carvers, the room crawl, and the cocktails....ohhh, thos wonderful marvelous cocktails, a little extra eye candy for you to wander by and glance at!

I moved to the DC area almost 17 years ago, but wasn't there a drive-in in Lowell area which had 3 or 4 screens to choose from.

Really do miss the golden age of the drive-in.

Oh yes, the Lowell area had a few actually. All gone now though.

There was the Wamaset Drive-In in Tewksbury, which I believe had 3 or 4 screens, the Chelmsford Twin Drive-In which had two, and the Lowell Drive-In which showed "adult" films (although I think I saw a Disney Double Feature there when I was very young.

We still have the Milford Drive-In in Milford New Hampshire though.

I'm feeling hungover all ready

Any suggestions from the ohana local to the Danvers area for dinner on Friday?

Gotta eat something before all that tiki booze sets in...

We have a drive-in in Mansfield CT, with 3 screens. Been meaning to head over in my 63 Falcon all summer...

But I digress. Grab some pre-crawl dinner, but be sure to save room for post-crawl pineapple upside-down cake! I'll have 2 or 3 in lieu of drinks.

B

Lots of good places on rte 1.

I'd stay away from Asian foods... you're gonna have enough of that on saturday.

I;d suggest Kelly's Roast Beef....down rte 1 in saugus.

Great sandwiches (they claim to have invented the roast beef sandwich) a HUGE salt water aquarium in the dining area, and the most EVIL clown head you;ve ever seen watches over you as you order.

Its a must of rte 1. There used to be alot more places like that, but slowly all the cool googie stuff & kitschy stores shaped like stuff are being bulldozed to make way for mini-malls. Enjoy some of the kitsch of rte 1 while its still around...there's less & less each year.

Also, I hit that drive in a few times a year paige. Its like 15 mins from teh Lono. a thermos full of Mai tais & a lawn chair... LOVE the drive in!!!

Oh yes, I remember Kelly's (in Boston) very well. Great suggestion.
I can bring one back for you, bargoyle, if you like!

T

There's also a Rumor that the Grand Opening of Hooters located directly across from the Kowloon is Friday night? Maybe some wings, with some breasts and thighs?

You are a mischief maker...

I hope there are a least a dozen more with your spirit this weekend.

[ Edited by: jwtiki 2008-09-17 09:40 ]

T

On 2008-09-17 09:37, jwtiki wrote:
You are a mischief maker...

I hope there are a least a dozen more with your spirit this weekend.

The New England group is Pretty calm, well at least until everyone has a drink and then all bet's are off...

Looking forward to seeing everyone, only a little while to wait now!

I'll check on the actual opening date for Hooters when I drive by tonight.

Beth

Reminder: Although there will be drinking vessels available (plastic), you may want to bring along your own favorite tiki mug for an enhanced cocktail experience.

I hear you can buy a nice souvenir Hooters pint glass right up the road with which to drink out of..... :wink:

And yes, the grand opening is indeed, this weekend.

In honor of it, I will be wearing bright orange short-shorts, and a tank top belly shirt....not that I know what they wear there or anything, thats just my best guess :D

On 2008-09-17 12:38, Bargoyle wrote:
In honor of it, I will be wearing bright orange short-shorts, and a tank top belly shirt

:o

In honor of it, I will be wearing bright orange short-shorts, and a tank top belly shirt....not that I know what they wear there or anything, thats just my best guess :D

ZOINKS!!! We definitely need a picture of that. lol

T

I hear you can buy a nice souvenir Hooters pint glass right up the road with which to drink out of..... :wink:

And yes, the grand opening is indeed, this weekend.

You are going to have to jump the fence to get there though. Official grand opening is Saturday night.

from last time I saw you ....

Hooters hooters hooters!!!

S

On 2008-09-17 17:18, lildeuce32 wrote:

ZOINKS!!! We definitely need a picture of that. lol

Eeek. Do we?

B

No need for pics...it will be burned into your mind for all eternity.

What has been seen cannot be unseen!!!!!! bwaaaaaaahahahahahahaaaaaaaa

Sorry for the double post, for those of you FOM and TC readers. Just wanted to make sure I get the word out!

We'll be allowing folks to pre-order issues of the upcoming Tales of WAITIKI comic at the NETT! A limited quantity will be printed, and each will be numbered and signed. This first-issue clocks in at an astonishing 40 pages and is filled with cameos by FOM members and WAITIKI friends alike. Not to mention, an amazing assortment of hilarious ads, of the Okonkulukuian variety (you villagers of Okonkuluku will know what I mean). We will have preview pages available, so stop by our Room Bar!

The issue is $8 plus $2 for postage/handling fees ... $10.

Many many thanks to Steve and Lenore Koppelman, for writing, illustrating, and producing the comic! It is wonderful!

P.S. We will also have fruit butters for sale. $8 a jar. Our CD special (butter+ABC Uke project CD) is still running: Your first jar of butter and ABC CD is $10 total (we throw in the CD for $2—it usually goes for $10 itself), each additional jar is $8.

WAITIKI: Exotic Tiki Entertainment From Polynesia & Beyond
Videos, MP3s, and More at http://www.waitiki.com

[ Edited by: professahhummingflowah 2008-09-18 06:26 ]

Have fun you guys! I'll be peddling my wares at The Alter Boys Jalopy Jamboree in Natick! Must make money to finish the lounge!
Mahalo!
Rick

T

Maybe all the guys should wear their hooters outfits on Saturday?

These guys look pretty good

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 259 replies