Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

2008 Northeast Tiki Tour (NETT)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 259 replies

Bargoyle will be sending out payment instructions via e-mail. (Those of you who gave joke e-mail addresses may have to catch NEXT year's Tour!) The profit margin for the Tour is simply so razor thin that we can't afford Paypal's markup for adding a shopping cart. We need every dime.

Jon, don't worry, we definitely have you on the list.

If you have ANY questions about the Tour, don't hesitate to e-mail me: [email protected]

We all want Sully to break even this year so there can be a Tour next year and he can marry Jess! That's why we will enthusiastically accept donations of swag and raffle items for the Tour. If you have stuff to donate, please contact Sully or myself.

Mahalo!!!

On 2008-04-10 06:21, pappythesailor wrote:
We all want Sully to break even this year so there can be a Tour next year and he can marry Jess!

Dude, that was suppossed to be a SECRET!

So secret it was even kept from me!!!

hmmmm....must drive tour further into the red....

Whatever you do people, do NOT buy raffle tickets!!!! lol.

ok, so there's like 20 seats left. If you're on the fence about it, its time to make a decision.

We'll see ya on the bus!

who would want to marry a woman who spills gallons of rum drinks in the spare tire well of the car, anyway?

..sb

Unless she is a match for kidney and liver donation....or owns a dialysis machine.

S

I've printed this page out, and will show it to Jess unless each of you rapscallions buys me a drink on the tour.

I love blackmail... :)

J

I'm with Scottes - I have my copy too. Jess - we luv ya!

About the Knights Inn in Danvers - has anyone ever stayed there? Are there any cooties that anyone knows of? Should I bring a can of Lysol?

Well, Lysol is a good start. Don't forget the Rid-X, and then there's the pool chemicals. JK!

B

Well, the Knights IS an old-school motor lodge. Its got charm, but its no Ritz-Carlton. From the rooms I saw (and the grounds) it was, however, VERY clean. The staff was really friendly and they dont mind us doing the Round Robin thing on Friday, with TWO live bands!!!

Its DEFINATELY better than the Super8 from last year if that helps... It averaged 3.5 (of 5) on tripadvisor.

Here's some pics!! Be sure to book for friday night too!!

pool area...

A double room...

We'll see ya on the bus!

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2008-05-12 06:15 ]

Its DEFINATELY better than the Super8 from last year if that helps...

And the Super 8 last year wasn't bad. I've stayed in WAY worse!

Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback. I will be booking for Friday and Saturday night. I know the rates on their website were between $79 + $89.

Mention the TIKI TOUR!!

We've got a discounted rate set up for everyone! $65 single, $75 double.

More info here: http://www.northeasttikitour.com/news.htm

B

Hey folks!!

We've finally nailed down Sunday's part of the NETT.

I've spoken with the Essex Peabody Museum in Salem (about 15 minutes away from our hotel) and they are going to run a pair of customized tours for us.

One featuring their Oceanic art collection, and the second on Maori tattoos (an exhibit that happens to be there at the time of our tour).

We'll have to split into two groups, but each group will do BOTH tours in opposite order.

The Tours start at 1pm sharp!!! And there is NO SUPPLIED TRANSPORTATION.

Transportation is on you guys. There will be NO BUS. You'll have to drive, or carpool, hitch-hike, walk, skateboard....just get there somehow, cause its gonna be cool!!

Also, the admission for the Peabody is $15/ea.

now, since checkout is 11am, we're also working on a place (or two) to meet up for hangover brunch on the way to Salem. More to come on that front soon.

If you're interested in the Museum side trip, please PM or email me. I'd like to give them a tenative headcount.

Still more surprises to come...

We'll see ya on the bus.

I don't believe I will do the Sunday tour, but I am definitely on for Friday and Saturday. Yippeee!!!

noooooooo sunday...................uggghhhh! not me.

On 2008-05-14 19:18, jpmartdog wrote:
noooooooo sunday...................uggghhhh! not me.

It's OK JP, Sunday's about greasy breakfast and culcha. Lots of fancy culcha.

We're definitely up for greasy breakfast on Sunday. Not sure about the culcha yet, considering CaptainQ's rapidly dwindling vacation days. We might just need to hightail it home, but we'll see.

If it helps anyone plan, the tours are only about 45 mins each...add a little time to peruse on your own...you'll be out by 3pm.

If you havent been to the PEM, this is a great opportunity to see some amazing Oceanic art, and hear some people who really know their stuff speak about it.

They're throwing us all out of the hotel at 11....what else are you gonna do? Me? Im gonna get educated....and full of greasy hangover food.

Can't wait!!!

On 2008-05-15 11:27, Bargoyle wrote:
If it helps anyone plan, the tours are only about 45 mins each...add a little time to peruse on your own...you'll be out by 3pm.

Okay, that's different! I'll confer with the Captain, but this sounds doable!

J

just thought I'd bring the thread back up - really looking forward to it

J

Me too!!! I'm having my iron stomach installed in August just for the NETT.

Jon - leave that cop attracting Aloha shirt at home this time. I don't want to get pulled over again!

Ohhhhh Great!!!!! and who's the one that said "Maybe we should cab it over!" LOL

J

I'll heed your advice next time. Good thing "the man" didn't see the wahine in the back with a bundle of that fresh green herb. I love mint!

On 2008-05-15 11:27, Bargoyle wrote:

If you havent been to the PEM, this is a great opportunity to see some amazing Oceanic art, and hear some people who really know their stuff speak about it.

They're throwing us all out of the hotel at 11....what else are you gonna do? Me? Im gonna get educated....and full of greasy hangover food.

Let me vouch for the museum. I have had many occasions to visit, and the Oceanic Arts section is growing and very impressive. Plus, there are many other fascinating things, like an entire 2-story Chinese house, that was dismantled in the countryside of some small province, brought over, and reassembled in its own courtyard in its entirety. And you can walk through the whole thing!

B

The mayor is correct. There's alot of cool stuff there to check out.

I believe to take the tour of the china house requires a separate ticket. Just a couple of bucks, but in the interest of full disclosure, I figured I'd mention it.

Only a few months away now!!! Get ready to start seeing raffle items, and if you're on the fence about hosting a room you sould take the leap.

Its a great way to meet a bunch of fantastic people (with 100 on this tour, I guarantee there's at least a dozen you dont know, no matter how connected in the tiki community you are) and a great way to show off your mixing/host/hostess skills.

Plus, we'll probably have a little something for the room hosters as a token of our appreciation.

Pm me if you need more info, and we'll see you on the bus!!

J

I'll be hosting a room
prepare for.............EXOTIC ISLAND.

Hey Sully,

Pencil me in for hosting a room. Being a former chef, my mind has been racing on what to make and bring.. Looking forward to it..

Cheers!

Rick

Is this the round robin? I think yes - Birdgirl and I are happy to have folks over again - count us in!

K

Rev_thumper and I are co-hosting a room with Velveteen Lounge and Captain Quad... which I think you already know, but I figured I'd mention anyway.

S

I was thinking about hosting a room for the crawl, but there's going to be so many people making cocktails that I figure nobody will be interested in plain rum. Why drink Zacapa when you can have a Mai Tai?

B

Oh scottes, ye of little faith.

I drained a bottle of Zapacapa in just over a day (I was sharing, not ALL to myself) at Hukilau. That was my "go to" in the hip flask.

If you pour it, they will come.

Hey, tell ya what, Scottes, I'll get with the Professah, and we'll co-host the room next door, and serve Urinal Cakes and Pernod Mou Tais. Your room will get plenty of visits!

Jill & I are lightweights/lousy mixologists, so I think we'll host the Tiki Tour Enjoyment Insurance Room.

We'll have plenty of cupcakes, Advil and water. And who knows, we might even create a mystical Voodoo hangover tonic.

I don't know how that compete with the Mayor's Urinal Cakes but go for it.

As long as no one mixes up the urinal cakes and cupcakes we should be OK.

Nevermind the Urinal Cakes, I TRIPPLE-DOG DARE anyone to try the Pernod Mou Tai.

Please do so outdoors, and dont yak on my car or on the raffle table.

S

On 2008-06-18 08:10, Bargoyle wrote:
If you pour it, they will come.

OK, put me down for hosting a room.

I'll bring, say, 24 - an even 2 dozen - rums.

I may even make you up a My Tai. Yes, I said My Tai. (A long story involving an OCD compulsion and numerous variation of the Bum's $100 Mai Tai recipe.)

J

MMM, I can taste the Urinal Cake already...

Scottes you may want to keep guys with flasks out of your room man. I've seen them fill and empty in record time and your rum collection is much to nice to disappear in just one evening.

S

I said I'd bring 24 bottles.

That still leaves about 120 at home....

Brendan and I will surely host a room, Drink Bong will be in effect!!

S

Uh oh. Those drinks spell trouble... I knew there was a reason I liked New England. :wink:

Suzanne

On 2008-06-18 18:23, johnman wrote:
MMM, I can taste the Urinal Cake already...

I don't have anything to say, I just think this is funny all by itself.

...especially when its out of context!

Ok, the tour is currently SOLD OUT.

If you didnt sign up but really want to go, pm or email me and we'll add you to the waiting list.

If you havent paid, hurry up, or your seat will given up to someone on the waiting list!!!

See ya on the bus!!!

http://www.northeasttikitour.com

Its been so long , I cant remember if I paid or not. Did you send out bills via paypal. Seriously I dont have a clue. aye carumba

You paid jon. I think you were the first actually!!

B

As a reminder, there are only a few rooms left at the Knights Inn.

If you have not reserved a room, call em up & do so now!!!

more info on the webpage:

http://www.northeasttikitour.com

We'll see ya on the bus.

Oh, and one other thing....you know how its impossible to get BIG Tikis up here in the Northeast? 'Cause you can't put em in your luggage coming back from Hukilau, and they cost a friggin' fortune to ship.

Well, save your pennies cats & kittens..... They may very well be coming to you at the NETT.

More info to come as it pans out.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 259 replies