Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

2008 Northeast Tiki Tour (NETT)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 259 replies

J

You rock Pappy! Thanks for posting the pic!

On 2007-11-20 07:30, pappythesailor wrote:
Here you go, Johnman (and anybody). Just Photoshop yourself right in there:

Looks like I'm going to have to leave the island and head up north for this!

Given the number of commuters, would it be wrong if the NJ/NY ohana thought about a bus to take us to the bus? Sort of a tiki commuter connection?

I'm just sayin'.

a tour to the tour? I guess no good could come from that...

Hey Guys/girls/others..... Why wait till summer to have a Tiki tour?????? Why not do something in Feb or March. Kinda like a Christmas in July thing???? Just a thought (and a good one at that) :)

Bostonbum

If we get a bus for the NY/NJ/PA ohana then it should certainly be of the short yellow variety!

T

On 2007-09-28 17:37, Tikisgrl wrote:
Have a great time! Sounds like a lot of fun & maybe you'll find a future tiki tour stop? How about the one place I have still not made it to in Quincy if you get some extra ambition? Cathay Pacific. map! & a teaser!

Tikisgrl

No one is brave enough to investigate this place? Someone has to live near Weymouth?

Just a thought... Is it NETT II time yet

I love the idea of doing something in the dead of winter, since it's such a depressing time as far as I'm concerned, but I'm guessing it would have to be fairly cancel-able in the event of inclement weather (said the girl whose February birthday celebrations are routinely disrupted by blizzards!).

Can you tell I'm not originally from the Northeast? :wink:

T

On 2007-11-26 13:14, velveteenlounge wrote:
I love the idea of doing something in the dead of winter, since it's such a depressing time as far as I'm concerned, but I'm guessing it would have to be fairly cancel-able in the event of inclement weather (said the girl whose February birthday celebrations are routinely disrupted by blizzards!).

Can you tell I'm not originally from the Northeast? :wink:

Such a pessimist didn't we get the last 90 degree day of the year for out first NETT? What makes you think we would have a blizzard?

I'm all for a preview party just as long as there is someplace to sleep and it's not on a work night!

Pho's looked pretty cool in the Beachbum thread?

Beth

On 2007-11-26 13:21, Tikisgrl wrote:

Such a pessimist didn't we get the last 90 degree day of the year for out first NETT? What makes you think we would have a blizzard?

:lol: Just don't have it anytime around my birthday! I'm cursed with bad weather!

i might try to pull off something in the winter like my pity party last year.
perhaps something related to Fat Tuesday.

but on the weekend.

since I was unable to pull off a "staying here" party, I still owe people something.

..sb

S

I'm up for anything, really. I'm dying here. Tiki-withdrawal... Though the Pho had the music, the cocktails, and some folks, it just wasn't tiki enough.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT!!!!!!!!!!
Waitiki
Beach Bum Berry
Humuhumu
Bargoyle
Johnman
Pappy
vintage tiki slideshow
Navy Grogs, the way they should be...............
gar -- nish -- es to die for.....
'heavy sigh'

[ Edited by: jpmartdog 2007-11-26 17:52 ]

S

Yeah, I kinda think it was the over-abundance of non-tiki, actually. I dunno.

B

Well, I'll tell ya right now, I'm only good for running one of these things a year(and without the help I get from Pappy, it would be ZERO a year!)....with '08 being twice as big, its already starting to freak me out a little.

In the interim, we can arrange some of our Meat & Greets in the upcomming months, we'll prob have the Luau in June again (maybe....), monthly get togethers at local bars...or home bars.... ST Pats we do the local hartford parade (its just an excuse to drink on the streets) and all are welcome to that...I think Rugby is having a mardi gras party....oh, and my birthday is end of Feb, and we're going to chuck e cheese, if anyone who wants to come (cocktails before hand, of course).

The possibilities are limitless.

The only thing stopping us is ourselves.

Now as far as the Pho being tiki or not, we've got JPM as the optomist...excited for a nice event and happy to see ANY tiki in Boston (I'm with ya there).... And Scottes as the pessimist (and he's also right, the pho didnt exacly exude a tiki vibe)...so...glass half-full or half-empty?

I say fill it to the top with some rum no matter which way you're looking at it...then it doesnt matter so much.

Cheers!!

Oh, also, we're definately in for Sept. 19-21st. Those are the Official dates. Save em on your calender.

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-11-27 09:36 ]

S

Half-full or half-empty, it was a great night.

And I know it's getting close to XMas, but we should do something....

How about Dec 15th at New Tiki? Maybe I can convince Brian to let us take one of the back rooms for a rum tasting, and we can order a bunch of food and nibble and yak and sip through 8 rums, then bust out to the front for tiki drinks.

If people are up for this date, let me know, and I'll stop by New Tiki and chat things up with Brian and Sonya.

If this can happen - there are some potential legal issues here - the rums will be courtesy of the Fraternal Order Of Maoi.

FOM-RUM-XMas-Tiki, Dec 15?

I can't make the 15th. If anybody wants to grab a drink on Friday, December 7th (a date which will live in Infamy), I'm free. Now that I say that, let's please keep this thread clear for Tour announcements and complaints.

Let's use this here thread for get-togethers.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=16548

So... Did everybody get Bargoyle's announcement above? September 19-21 2008 is official. You may want to get some extra life insurance that week.

I'm working that whole day pretty much. Otherwise, it's a capital idea, and one that I back completely. At this point, it may be easier to organize something after the holidays

B

Ok, back to subject at hand.... NETT NEWS!!!!!

The Quequeg Chapter of the FOM is proud to bring you the following info for the Northeast Tiki Tour 2008.

September 19th - 21st.

Our official hotel is the Knights Inn, in Danvers, MA. (978) 774-6500

We have arranged for room rates of $65 and $75 (plus tax, per night)

Rooms WILL sell out. Book early. Mention the Tiki Tour when booking.

The buses will run on Saturday the 20th, leaving late morning, but I highly suggest everyone come out for the Friday night Room Crawl.

Friday: Live band(s), food, cocktails, prizes, and a great hang with Fellow Moai, Initiates, Prospects, and Tikiphiles. Just dont stay up too late, the buses must leave on time!!!

Saturday: Bus tour to SIX of New England's last remaining Polynesian Paradises. Live music. Raffles. Food. Cocktails. Monkey Knife Fights! ok, maybe not that last one....

Sunday: Hangover Brunch. Possible side trip to the Peabody Essex Museum of Oceanic Art.

More info to come. (Tour cost should still be in the $35 to $40 range)

Some of it is posted at http://www.northeasttikitour.com

I hope to see many of you there!

S

If you're actually thinking about doing the Essex Museum, then you must get breakfast at Red's Sandwich Shop. (15 Central St, just off the Essex St walking mall and less than a block from the museum.) The best breakfast... Yumm... But it might be difficult to park and get enough seats for a crew, since it is a little diner. Generally there will be a dozen people waiting for a seat. A party of 4 would have a 10-20 minute wait.

There is a Brother's Deli right next to the parking garage, which is about 2 blocks from the museum. 283 Derby St., just before Pickering Wharf. It's a little odd when you first go in, because it's a steam-table buffet kind of place. You grab a tray and stand in line, when it's your turn you give your order and move down the line until it's done... But the breakfast is cooked to order, and those guys make one hell of a breakfast. And Brother's has plenty of seating.

Either place is very highly recommended for breakfast.

If you stay in Danvers near the Inn, there is a Brother's Deli in Danvers, too, at 31 Maple Street.

On 2007-11-21 08:29, leisure master wrote:
Given the number of commuters, would it be wrong if the NJ/NY ohana thought about a bus to take us to the bus? Sort of a tiki commuter connection?

I'm just sayin'.

a tour to the tour? I guess no good could come from that...

I think it's a good idea.

On 2007-11-19 14:00, pappythesailor wrote:
Here's some of the places we crossed of the list yesterday:

Fantasy Island - Salem - Must have been good once. Looks like it's just been remodeled. Only a few Orchids lamps and couple of bamboo chairs survived. Oh and my drink was alcohol-free. Next!

Hey wait a minute! I missed this post - I gotta stand up for my main mai tai place in MA.

While I totally agree the place has absolutely no tiki, they have one of the best mai tais I have found in MA, and I have never had a weak drink there - I just don't understand it, man.

B

I had the Mai Tai...pappy had some sort of fruit juice masquerading as a cocktail.

Mai Tai was passable...1st sip was terrible...nothing but rum & simple syrup. I then mixed it & it tasted better, but I think I drank all the rum out of it with that first sip.

They definately dont pour with the heavy hand there anymore.

J

One room secured for Johnman and Mrs. Johnman for 9/19-21st! WOO HOO!!!

Scottes - I can certainly vouch for the Brothers Deli in Salem. I had a great breakfast there a couple of years ago.

Leisure Master - I was supposed to hit fantasy Island with Miss on our trip to Salem last month but it just never happened. Sadly enough the night I wanted to go there we ended up at TGiFs! Argh! Sometimes I end up losing the dinner choice battle.

B

johnman-judging from what we got served at F.I. the other weekend, I think you both won on the dinner choice with TGIF! lol.

Ok, so, NETT news.

Our first band has confirmed. Surf band out of CT called 9th Wave.

These cats rock. Check out their stuff at: http://www.9thwavesurf.com/

As usual, more to come.

R

As long as the bus beverages live up to last years standards I for one will have NO complaints.

B

More NETT news you can use:

Waitiki is down with the tour once again!!

We're absolutely thrilled to have these guys on-board once more!!

2 Killer bands. 6 Fantasic stops. Liver-shriveling bus cocktails by pappy & bargoyle. Crazy-ass room crawl. Wonderful fellow tikiphiles. More amazing swag & raffle prizes.

What more could you want?

Fire dancers you say? I'm working on that right now. No promises though.

Only 9 1/2 months till we give birth to Northeast Tiki Tour II: The Son of The NETT!!

edited for a ton of typos-sry

[ Edited by: Bargoyle 2007-12-05 19:08 ]

Excellent! I count Mike Rosado and the whole 9th Wave crew among my friends. I'm sure they didn't need much convincing- tiki decor and apparel is always a feature of their shows.

Exotica and surf... it does NOT get any better!

"Booze, and drugs, and fire trucks, and guns, and hookers...oops did I say hookers?"

J

All booked into the Knights Inn for Friday and Saturday Night - Only 9 1/2 months to wait!
Woohooo!

J

9th Wave! Awesome work Bargoyle! I knew I recognized the name as I grabbed a surf compilation of the Web a while back that had there Spy Lounge song on it. Great song - now I have to pick up some of their other stuff.

Congrats to Sully & Pappy for getting some ink in the new issue of Tiki Magazine on the '07 NETT! Wish there were some pictures to go along with the write up........then again. :wink:

B

On 2007-12-09 19:56, johnman wrote:
9th Wave! Awesome work Bargoyle!

The thanks go to Luke for hooking me up with Mike (from 9th Wave). Tour is shaping up to be something really special.

I just made reservations and can't wait for the Tour!

B

Sweet! Glad to have ya aboard!!

We may have some more announcements in the next few weeks. Stay Tuned!

B

The Poster for this years NETT is up on the web-page...along with some background music http://www.northeasttikitour.com

There's also some info on the Junior Tour posted as well.

If you're not on the mailing list yet, sign up. Mailing list members get advanced notice to all things NETT, and you're going to want some advanced notice really soon........

As usual, more to come later. See you on the bus!!!

R

Love the poster, can't wait for NETT II!

B

Ok, one last plea to sign up for the mailing list. No spam, I promise.

The ticket link will be posted VERY soon, ....VERY VERY soon.....and those on the mailing will know about it first. With only 92 seats available, and another sell-out expected, its best to act fast.

http://www.northeasttikitour.com

Thanks to all of last year's attendees who filled out the survey. I just wanted to share one result with you that warmed my heart and made me all misty. Turns out people's favorite part of the Tiki Tour was.....
The People! Isn't that the cutest thing? So no stops this year, just more people. Kidding.

Tour News

B

On 2008-04-02 18:01, pappythesailor wrote:
So no stops this year, just more people.

I thought we weren't telling anyone about the free Soilent Green until later.

B

Just a heads up gang.

Tickets go on sale TODAY (monday) at Noon EST.

Here's a copy of the letter that went out in case you;re not on the mailing list:

AlooooooooooooooooooooooooHA!!!!!!!!!!!

Its finally here!!! Seats are going up for the Northeast Tiki Tour II THIS Monday, 4/7, at noon EST.

In the meantime, we invite you to peruse the website. We’ve added information about the stops, additional entertainment, FAQs, Rules, and all sorts of other stuff.

One thing to note when purchasing tickets….there are TWO buses this year.

I can NOT guarantee that you will be seated with another party on a specific bus. If you are coming with a group, and want to GUARANTEE that you will be on the same bus, have one person buy the tickets for all of you. (ie, if someone buys six tickets, I will NOT break those six apart….if 3 couples buy 2 tickets each, one couple may end up on the other bus)

Buses will be filled on a first come, first served basis.

The signup sheet on Monday reserves your spot, but it is not guaranteed until payment is received. Payment must be received within TWO weeks of your invoice. Failure to pay promptly may result in your seats being forfeit and offered to the waiting list.

Please note that we can NOT accept credit card payments this year (The tour runs VERY tight between break even & losing money each year…we just cant afford the credit card fees). Your payment options are Check, or Paypal via balance transfer or e-check (Again, NO CREDIT CARDS…sorry).

Also, we’re doing our Friday night room crawl again this year, and ask that you participate. Our goal is to have multiple rooms open at a time, so that no one room gets overcrowded. If you’re interested in hosting a room, let us know. Depending on the level of participation in the Round Robin Room Crawl, it may be limited to only those hosting rooms (You gotta give if you wanna get!)

Thanks again for your support and many Mahalos to Pappy for his tireless work with the website, and putting up with my tyrannical task mastering. Without the great people involved (both organizing & attending) the tour wouldn’t be what it is. This is YOUR event and with your help, this years tour will be even more spectacular than last years!

Mahalo, and we’ll see you on the bus!

Bargoyle

I can't wait until noon!
Thanks for posting the reminder, and also thanks for all of your and Pappy's work to make this event possible (damn, can you tell I worked for PBS?)

So who's organizing the room crawl this year? We of the Blue Lory Lounge will definately be hosting again this year, with very special guest Paranoid123 adding to the madness.

We want to host, too, and Rev_Thumper and Kristiki will be helping!

On 2008-04-07 08:23, velveteenlounge wrote:
We want to host, too, and Rev_Thumper and Kristiki will be helping!

That's a room I DEFINITELY won't miss!
PS VL, did you catch my shameful typo in my previous post?

Signed,
'Definitely' challenged in NJ

How funny, I'm way too stressed out today and missed that one!

I'm already excited!

The folks at New York's famous Rhum Rhum Room plan on opening a temporary annex in Danvers that weekend.

B

Bus #1 is SOLD OUT.

Bus #2 is filling up fast.

If you havent reserved your seat, act fast!!

http://www.northeasttikitour.com/signup.htm

I heard Bus #2 will have better cocktails anyway.

Hey pappy, Bargoyle.
I'm confused, as usual,. I submitted my 'sign up' form on monday, but seemed to have missed the opportunity to pay through paypal. Was I supposed to be directly linked to paypal at that moment or will I be receiving a email invoice.
thanks
Jon

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 259 replies