Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

The Tiki Art of Anthony Carpenter-Art show poster P.12

Pages: 1 2 3 4 180 replies

G
GROG posted on Thu, Mar 27, 2008 12:23 AM

Fun stuff. Looking forward to seeing more.

Sketches! Nice!
Great compostions artosaurus.

Grog/Tiki Shark: Thanks, fellers. :)

Here are the rest of the sketches from that fateful evening:

Artosaurs ~ Oh so freaking great! Lovin yer stuff!

I really like this one.

And this one is too freaking bad ass!

They both would make great paintings!

May I also recommend viewing any "The Adventures of Johnny Quest" episode for a good '60's vibe. My fav is the "Invisible Monster" - it takes place on a tropical island, and has 60's spy science fiction mojo all over it, and... well, an Invisible monster!

Thanks for posting the sketches! They are SWEEEEET!

Very cool retro style, Carpenter! I've always admired this kind of work. It's a mystery to me what angle and which dimension to draw each frame with these multi-framed panels. Fine stuff.

F

Great graphic style. I'd love to see some of these frames larger and inked or in color. I was a comic fanatic well into my teens, and these really hit home with me. 60's secret agent meets poly-pop is such a cool theme.

beautiful work again! that 4th panel center would make a great tattoo. i hope you ink this page.

Your work is so cool I don't even know what to make of it. I'll have to check it again after it all sinks in. You need to push your work into the spotlight right now. It's fresh retro and very now.

Tiki Shark: Thanks! I plan on taking some of these to a finish soon. Way ahead of you on the Johnny Quest. I picked up the box set the instant it hit the shelf. Quest's theme music is ultra-cool.
Sam: Thanks! Drawing comics helped me to come to grips with the multi-panel thing. It's never easy though.
frostiki: Thanks! That's the direction these are headed in. I just have to find the time. :)
Robb: Thanks! I just hope it's still cool after it sinks in. :wink:

Here is a group of photos of a recently completed Tiki frame.
Painted in acrylic on a blank wood frame.
The inset is ink and colored pencil on bristol.
This one may end up on eBay.

thats pretty cool. seems like thers burst of spring creativity happening.

That is so cool! I'm a fool for lettering too!

That is cool-amazing-swank! And you even painted the BACK - you madman!

Sophista-tiki: Thanks. Spring has sprung all right. Let's hope the creativity continues to build. :)
Sam: Thanks. The lettering in your paintings is amazing
Tiki Shark: Thanks. They all thought me mad, but I showed them! I showed them all! Bwha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!!!
ahem Sorry about that.

Here is a new painting fresh off the ol' easel entitled: "Tiki Beat A Go Go"
It is acrylic on a 12"x12" corner canvas.

I entered this, the frame and one of my retro-modern abstracts in a local competition.
They were all turned down cold. No tiki love in Michigan. Oh well . . .

Anyhoo, this piece is available as a print from Imagekind.com (http://anthonycarpenter.imagekind.com/Illustrationville)
They also do custom framing.

Anthony Carpenter
My Sketch-Blog: http://sketchville-sketchman66.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: artosaurus 2008-05-13 11:02 ]

Turned down?
"Pearls before SWINE!"

Great Painting! Great color scheme!

theyre nuts! this piece is grovey a go go.

cool colors - I love the tiki, the wahine is sexy and fun, the skully-bongo-er is creeeee-py.

I DIG the painted picture frame. Great colors, great execution!

T
Tabu posted on Wed, May 14, 2008 4:32 PM

So rad.........so friggin' rad. All of it.

Super wow.

My wife and I couldn't stop looking at "Tiki Beat A Go Go" - it's just amazing. The simplicity of the brushwork and colors and (I never thought I'd say this) the texture of the acrylics make me want to touch it. This is easily amongst the best Tiki work I've ever seen. Everything about it is perfect.

What a fun painting! Love the motion in it.

Ahh Michiganders - what do they know!(disclaimer - I'm from MI too- there are a lot that don't "get it"!)

Keep up the good work!

Tiki Shark: Thanks! They like to play it safe around here.
Sophista-tiki, jpmartdog, Sneakytiki, Tabu: Thanks!
Robb Hamel: You made my day, sir! :)
octopussy: Thanks! We'll have to set these mitten dwellers straight! :)

And now, here's something new for your viewing pleasure.
It's an 'in-progress' tonal pencil commission called "Tiki Nouveau".

First, I sent this sketch for client approval.

Next, I sketched the composition onto 11"x14" smooth-finish bristol. Looking it over, I discovered that the figure wasn't nearly nouveau enough. Begrudgingly, I erased her and started anew. Consulting a book on Alphonse Mucha (in order to refresh my lapsed nouveau knowledge), I quickly saw the error of my ways.
Brimming with newfound insight, I added extra design elements, made the figure more curvaceous and gave her a more elaborate hairstyle and raiment.

"Ah", I thought, leaning back in my chair, "Now we're getting somewhere":

Detail:

Next step: Adding the tones!

B

Tiki Nouveau - Yes!...yeeeeessssss! You've covered all the bases....nicely done.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2008 11:43 PM

GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!
A++++++++++++++!!!
Go to the head of the class.

Love your art---damn you!

Don't make it look so easy you bastard. Show a picture of a couple of trash cans overflowing with sketches that didn't work or something! Or at least lie in your post, and say it took all week just to get one decent drawing that you were semi-happy with.

GROG starting to hate you as much as GROG hate Brad (Tikishark).

Tiki Nouveau!
it's as if Mucha took the example from Gaugain and
move to Polynesia! Very nice!
This one's gonna be a Beauty!

RH

Dammit! You got to Mucha before me!

(I wasn't even going to start trying until next year... I snoozed, I losed)

babalu, little lost tiki: Thanks!
GROG: Don't worry, the bad stuff exists, believe me. More than I care to think about. :)
Robb: Ah, but Tiki Nouveau on velvet! That's a whole 'nother kettle of fishies.

The tonal work begins:

Detail:

C

please say prints of this are going to be available. I LOVE it!

wo wo woo wah!!

these are stunning. great work!

I would buy prints!

artosaurus,your art is very cool my friend,Aloha Mooney

Splendid work!
A wonderrful piece!~

B
bgizzy posted on Fri, Jun 6, 2008 6:09 AM

WOW! Those are some amazing drawings & paintings. I love the frame too. The composition & detail in that nouveau one is... is... WOW!

catmomma: Thanks! I don't know if I can afford a proper print run, but I may put it up in my
Imagekind gallery. If I do, I will make an announcement here and in the Marketplace section.

bamboo stu, MooneyTiki, Tiki Shark, bgizzy: Thanks!

I got on a roll last night so, rather than stop to scan any more progress shots, I just went ahead and finished it.
The completed Tiki Nouveau:

Detail:

ooh la la.

beautiful work - don't look now, but your nouveau is def showing.

Wow, really nice!

OHMIGOSHOHMIGOSHOHMIGOSH!

Beautiful!

Done? Are you going to scan it and color it in the computer? If you do you could do a few different versions, like a warm toned one - all orange and yellows, and a cool toned one - all blue and greens.

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2008 8:13 AM

Now that is cool! And very original. Great job, and look forward to seeing more of this style from you.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2008 8:23 AM

You're hired!

B

Just Stunning!! Keep on blazing trails.

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Jun 11, 2008 8:32 AM

Ok, I had to post again. And sadly admit I had not seen your thread before. WOW. I love your stuff! And as a comic book/geek boy, Curse of the Tiki Cult screams to be a graphic novel! Looking at the piece, I wanna know the story. I love the Hawaiian Dick stuff that has been done. But I always loved Indy style jungle adventures also. What is your ebay name also? I look forward to getting some of your art soon!

Artosaurus...
you nailed it!
Clap! Clap!

C

I seriously want like a 8x10 or 11x14 of that to frame. I am a huge fan of that style art plus add in tiki and I am in LOVE :)

Great work!

T

I'd buy one of those pineapples

Most excellent...love it!!! I am hoping for prints too. :)

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words regarding the Tiki Nouveau piece.
I will be placing the b/w version in my Imagekind gallery soon, so prints will
be available. I will post to the Marketplace section when that happens.
If time allows, I will also be doing a digitally colored version in the near future.

In the meantime, I have been busy putting together my pieces for the Tiki Magazine
show in September. I will have four paintings in the show. One of them will be "Tiki
Beat A Go Go" (http://tinyurl.com/6dk3vd). The other three will be the same
size (12"x12") and format (corner canvas) as Tiki Beat.

I won't post the finished pieces here until after the show opens, but here are the
working sketches for each of them:

Anthony Carpenter
My Sketch-Blog: http://sketchville-sketchman66.blogspot.com

[ Edited by: artosaurus 2008-08-19 18:01 ]

hey these look like they'll shape up into fab paintings - I'll look forward to seeing the final pieces

G
GROG posted on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 8:08 AM

Send sketches to GROG.

Beautious!

sweet! Can't wait to see 'em in person next month!

Damn, I love your work!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 180 replies