Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Not what it seems Page 16 8/20/13

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies

Watching the board a little bit and getting into the scene.Moved to Tucson last year and love the desert. Hard to grow plants that are tropical but I'm trying to get the look on my place. I just started carving last year and I really dig it. Here are a couple of pictures of my first attempts. Hope they measure up to some of the other great tikis I have seen on here. I am carving in palm. TT

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-01-28 20:19 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-09-27 12:51 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-09-27 13:03 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-02 09:04 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-02 09:04 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-09 14:27 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-28 15:09 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-12-10 17:02 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-12-16 17:17 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2009-05-25 14:07 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2009-05-25 14:07 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2009-05-26 11:04 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2012-07-28 15:34 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2012-07-28 15:35 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2013-04-28 09:11 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2013-05-10 08:16 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2013-05-10 08:25 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2013-05-22 23:39 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2013-05-31 21:47 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2013-06-07 11:35 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2013-08-16 18:08 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2013-08-20 15:36 ]

digg! I like.

Wow! I guess I gotta try harder here . Lotta folks looking but not much response on my work. The next one will impress. I guarantee.

hey ...were just a bunch of lurkers......great stuff
keep posting.....the fun part is seeing the evolution of your work
being a novice carver myself i allways cruise the posts looking at everyones work
you do have some cool designs there......carve ...post....carve...post....carve...post

S

Welcome great carves. I like the size and they all
have allot of character in them NICE.

My latest attempt. Having fun. This will be a full body Not in order of progress. Still getting this pic posting thing down.

B

Welcome and WOW, very nice last one you started.

Benjamin.

S

Love this guy. very nice love the snake thing and how you
left the wood a the headdress area NICE!

B

het tucson i like your stuff,my next tiki i want to make a full body.
i will be coming into tucson on 3/8 and want to go to the kon tiki,if your around stop by for a drink.i will be spending 2 weeks in sierra vista working on a piece of land i bought and maybe get alittle carving in
let me know if your up for the kon tiki

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Feb 16, 2008 9:34 AM

"The next one will impress. I guarantee."

Damn straight! You have my attention Tucson! Nice going! Let's see some more...

-G$

Ok, I finally got back on this thing this last weekend and finished it up. I decided I wanted some color on this guy.Wanted to see how the stain would take on the palm. It turned out pretty good. This was my 5th tiki carving and my first attempt at a full body. Any feedback would be fine. ThanksThis it roughed in before sanding and stain.
Back side. Nice butt huh?

Oh and by the way GMAN. Your stuff is awesome. I have been "inspired" to say the least. I got a really awesome idea for my next victim. Stay tuned.

Nice original design. He really stands out. It looks as if your carving skills are progressing quickly. Looking forward to more.:drink:

T

I'm usually a fan of keeping to natural wood finishes but that carve absolutely sprang to life once painted. Great finish work tuscon...

Wow...Mr Greeny is wicked looking. Great use of color and that tongue is very kewl. How tall is that bad boy?

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 12:23 PM

Tucson,

The green guy is wild! I likee! Cool uvula :) It looks like you know exactly what you are doing now. What's next? Push real hard. Impress the hell out of us.....

B

Hey Tucson, Really Cool tikis, I Love the green guy. Nice to see you getting such Tight detail, Well Done!

S

Nice work on him. Love the crazy cool green guy.

I'll see what I can do. Gonna start a new one tomorrow.On this last one someone mentioned paint. The only paint is the white for the teeth and it was too bright so I took the torch to it and darkened it. The green and the maroon for the tounge and eyes was stain. I did use the torch to give it definition after the stain. Will continue to post my stuff. I dig this site. Tucson Tiki

Wow, just went thru your post from the start. What a learning curve. Your work is as good or better than most I've seen. I love the color. Hope to see more.

I love work evolution threads like this. Good stuff, man. Either you have it, or you don't. You've got it, brah!

S

Just checked out the green guy. That is really nice and different.

V

I never really liked colored tikis until i saw the green guy impressive how he turned out you made a believer out of me

J

The green guy is pretty wild!! Nice touch with the "thingie" in the back of his throat.

You are progressing extremely fast. Keep it up.

Thanks for all the kind words. I made really good progress on my next carve this last weekend. I am trying out different carve styles. My problem is I like all kinds of tiki styles. I just gonna keep carving some wild stuff. I like to take different aspects of designs I have seen and kinda melt them together. This one I am doing now stands approx. 6'5" tall and is about 12" in diameter. Haven't figured how I'm gonna finish the bottom of it yet but I'm sure it will come to me. This one will get a light stain and satin clear. This is just roughed in. I still need to detail the mouth out a little more to get better definition on the little tongue. Who doesn't like a little tongue? Should be able to get it done by the end of the week if the weather warms up a bit. Kinda cold here in Tucson the last couple of days. Carve on!
img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/8479/47df4854.jpg[/img]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-03-17 21:48 ]

Cool!

S

Very nice. Man you are doing some great work.
You used that last log so well, meaning he
is stretched all throughout that log and it looks great.

Thanks Seeksurf. I used to live in Buckley along time ago. Now Tucson Az. I started the Hotrod-A-Rama in Tacoma a few years back. Turned it over to my clubmates in the Mischief Makers Car Club. Now I just dig the sun and carve.

Finally got to this Big Head Bastard! Already skinning the next victim. This is 6' 5" and about 10 " in diameter. Palm with a spar satin spar finish. DIG! TT

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-03-31 22:37 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-03-31 22:40 ]

Man, I gotta figure this picture posting thing out better. Weird how they post. Sorry kids! I got sawdust on my brain I guess. I'll stick to making chips fly! TT

That is beautiful...I like how you let the wood speak to the shaping. Nicely done. Keep meaning to say that I dig the color of your backyard wall. :)

B

WOW,Tuscon, this guy Really finished up Nicely. I Love the tongue, a totally unexpected piece of detail that looks so Wrong but fits the whole piece so Perfectly. I Like your style.

K

The color is great and so unexpected, nice work.

S

That is a fabulous tiki! Man love the long flowing lines
on him. NICE

Thanks for the positive input Benzart and Seeksurf and the others.Coming from talented carvers such as you guys that means alot. I was a lil' worried about the tongue. I almost deleted it but decided to let it ride. Wish I would have made it a little bigger in proportion. Live and learn for the next I guess. Well, Back to the front courtyard to let the dust fly. Carve on.

Decided to bang out a short tiki for The 4th Ave. Street Fair this weekend here in Tucson Arizona. I am taking my last 3 down to try and sell them. This one posted here was just a 2 day quikie for the show. A local tiki shop is letting me display my stuff so I can get some publicity. Here is my sad face guy. I will show finished pics tomorrow. It was too dark to get a photo when I finished it up, Dig-TT

H
hewey posted on Thu, Apr 3, 2008 3:40 AM

Great work, that last guy is expressive, and the green guy is so lowbrow cool :D :D :D But now Ive seen the hemi rocker covers, I got to know what else is in ya garage! :wink:

T

Wow, your last couple of pieces have been so fantastic. You are really developing your own style already. Love the coloring and finish on the big head tiki. The whole carving is really really nice. The green one was a little loud for me, but the carving and style was tops. It's still a great piece and I see you're willing to explore and push some boundaries. Bravo!

Thanks again, I put a little burn on it and some finish. I got some hotrod stuff. Been doing it my whole life it seems. Carving is a nice creative release away from the car stuff. Here a picture of the 29 Ford RPU that I built a few years ago. I will be going to Viva Las Vegas here in a few days. That's always good for inspiration and a hangover.

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-04-03 17:02 ]

S

Love your style simple lines that say so much NICE WORK.

TucsonTiki you have some nice tikis happenin here my friend, and I really love the Hot Rod!!!Aloha , Mooney

I'm back in business carving up a few new groovy numbers for your viewing pleasure. The first is a little chunk of palm I had laying around and wanted to try a funky shaped wacky planter for my courtyard. Had some old hairpin 50's legs that I haved saved for such a project. Turned out pretty cool. It's reallhard to carve out the tops of the log. Anybody got any ideas for hogging out the centers easier than using a spade bit like I did? The next is one I whipped up over the last couple of days. Kinda a goofy lil'happy guy. This
stuff just comes out of head. Enjoy!

Hey there TT, Nice meeting you last weekend at the antique fair. I really dig the new planter. Very nice! Any time you guys wanna meet up at the Good Old Kon Tiki me and Mrs. CH will be happy to oblige.....

M n' M

Thanks Mark! Did I get your number? Can't remember a damn thing. Nice meeting you at the antique fair. We will hook up for sure. We need to gather all the local tiki nuts.. When my place gets to a point I can entertain I will. Dale

Luvin ur style dude itz wicked :tiki: , I just recently picked up a hammer and chisel myself and carved my 1st Tiki a few weeks ago!!! I would love to be able to carve at your standard!!! they are so smooth... me thinx I must improve my sanding... :D

I luv the one with the earings, I might borrow that idea myself if thats OK dude?

S

Looking great! I love how he is just popping out
at us.

I still need to put a finish on him tonight. I will start peeling another victim tonight as well. Thanks for the nice words. I love this stuff. So much fun to be creative.

Here it is with a lil' spar finish on it. Turned out ok.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies