Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Not what it seems Page 16 8/20/13

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies

S

I will have to drop in say hi and check this out.

http://www.hotrodarama.com/directions.html

I found it.

I'm lovin those eyes, he looks crazy :o , I'm really envious of your talent matey, how long have you been carving? I wish my Tikis turned out as good as yours... :P

Have a drink on me... :drink:

Gooberfreek, They can turn out that good if you just become one with the wood! Feel it like a fine woman and become one!. I have been doing this about 9 months. It's fun! Dig in and feel the groove man. Ya dig? And by the way. All my stuff is for sale. Anybody can pm me for a price. Shipping is up to the buyer though. TT

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-05-14 22:43 ]

B

this tiki turned out very good.
Nice work,

Benjamin.

Thanks Benella, Isn't it amazing what a little alcohol can do to turn you day around. Carve on! Skol--------TT

I keep bangin' away at the wood. Finished this one tonight. I am not all that happy with it. I tried putting a different finish on it and it came out much darker than I would have like. Design was pretty typical stuff really. Just hoping to sell it. Shot some night pics with a couple of green flood lights on it. Would have been cooler without the flash I think. Used Teak oil on it. 24 inches tall and about 12 in. diameter

BTTT for the fine audience cruising the post! Carve-Post-Carve-Post!!!!

Hey Tuscon Tiki. That tall skinny Moai is made of palmwood? Nice one. Your carvings look "soft" with the stain and finish.

Any peyote growing around the desert?

S

Nice work! he has some smooth flowing lines.
I like the lines in the head area above the eyes.
You are really pumping them out.

The green looks like its in the wood but just light.

On 2008-05-29 17:58, Jungle Trader wrote:
Hey Tuscon Tiki. That tall skinny Moai is made of palmwood? Nice one. Your carvings look "soft" with the stain and finish.

Ya! I pick all I can find baby!!! Makes for some interesting times out here in the ol' courtyard. Just me and Jim Morisson. We are stone immaculate!!!!!!!!!

On 2008-05-29 18:31, seeksurf wrote:
Nice work! he has some smooth flowing lines.
I like the lines in the head area above the eyes.
You are really pumping them out.

The green looks like its in the wood but just light.

Ya, I'm pumping something? Not sure what it is yet. I still have a long way to go before I get to your level of talent. I need better wood than palm to get good detail like the stuff you have done. I know I can do it but palm has it's limitations. I need that Western Red Cedar Seeks!!!!!!!!!!! I'll see ya in August in Tacoma. TT

S

I'm having alittle trouble with my cedar. It just don't hold
the detail I'm trying to achieve. I'm telling you the alder is sweet.

I'm planning on setting you up with a log or 2. I will check out
the drift wood, at the coast might be some cedar washup going on?

Well, I'm open to trying the alder. Doesn't it crack alot when it dries. That has been my impression with all the alder I have used for firewood when I lived there. Check out some of those small lumber mills down in the Orting Valley area. I remember seeing some small time operations down there.

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-05-30 17:31 ]

S

Yes, Im still playing with the cracking. Thin man cracked very little
and crack in the rear. I have been laying wet towels over the front?
I worked well with thinman.

Yes, i have been meaning to check out some mills, but not likely tell
i need wood. I have what i need for some time.

On 2008-05-29 22:10, Tucson Tiki wrote:

On 2008-05-29 17:58, Jungle Trader wrote:

Ya! I pick all I can find baby!!! Makes for some interesting times out here in the ol' courtyard. Just me and Jim Morisson. We are stone immaculate!!!!!!!!!

Just as I thought. I'll be out tomorrow, tell you bout the maiden with raw iron soul. Electric 8)

B

I Like it like This, and think it is fine the way it is. Good work.

Thanks Benzart! Coming from you that's great. I keep pluggin' away. If only I could sell some it would help. TT

Tough sell in Tuscon. Similar to where I live but no Indians. Lotsa cowboys though. I'm near Oakdale, the cowboy capital of the world.
You might consider carving a bunch more and bringing a truckload over to Northern Cali. It's a numbers game. I've been vending at car shows and auto swap meets lately. Vintage cars, hot rods, and tikis sometimes go together. Kind of a Big Daddy Roth angle. When folks see the carvings first hand rather than in a picture they get excited. I'm planning a spot at the Stockton Arena in the the middle of July. It's huge.

Ya, I'm taking my stuff to LA Father's Day Swapmeet and Show. Gonna sell my hotrod and some other stuff. I saw some tiki's there last year at the show. I'll see what happens.

Just finished up this little fellow. Simple design. Dig it!

C

I dig it TT. Simple is just fine if it has the right "feeling" and
yer last guy is cool. It's my favorite one so far, but you are showing
some skills in all of them.

Nice, strait forward and simple.
He has iron man eyes.

Hi ya all! Been a while since I posted here on the site with my carvings. The owner of the Kon Tiki asked me to do a new addition to the outside entry way . I was more than happy to oblige his request. It will be great to have one of my pieces on permanent display at an iconic tiki bar like the Kon Tiki in Tucson. Hope he likes it. I am pretty happy with it. It's a little different than past ventures but I feel it will work. Let's hear some feedback(positive I hope) Thanks TT

S

Very nice!!! Congrats!!

B

Hey Tucson, Looking Great. You are getting very tight detail, enough so that you should try your version of some good traditional stuff (like your Moai!), I think you could carve a Ku or a Lono very well.

Benzart thanks! Post a couple examples of what you speak so I can get some ideas. I am not familiar with all the terms. I am willing to try something new(old) I will post pics of this as we stick it in the ground in front of the Kon Tiki.

WOW TT

I like it!!

excellent

KS

Got the stain and sealer on it and I like the color and finish. This one turned out pretty good.

BTTT for the late shift!

B

NO, This one turned out WAY TOP Shelf. The detail is Very smooth and finished and the finish is perfect. You have outdone yourself on this one.

S

Fine work ! I like the expressions and the cemetery of the top and bottom looks
like a Easter island hat?

Thanks guys! I appreciate the nice comments. Getting started on a new one tonight. Chop! Chop! Alohahahahahahahaha! Seeksurf. You got anything cool in the works? I always dig your stuff. Benzart, That image you added is really bitchin. What kinda wood are you using?

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-09-17 15:57 ]

Not only do i like your TIKIS displayed beautifully in what i guess is your sunny courtyard , but i really like the Wooden three legged planter in some of the photos. Is this some of your works as well? i love it!!

Tark

Trader Tark, Ya, Thanks for looking at my stuff. Ya, The planter is something I did on a whim with a short log of palm. I plan on doing some more in the future. I want to incorporate more metal into my design. I really dig your stuff and look forward to seeing more in the future. Keep up the excellent work. I am a hotrodder too. Here is my 29 Model a RPU

Well on Saturday I delivered my latest creation to the Kon Tiki. After some debate on where to place it, the owner decided he wanted it to be inside the restuarant/bar instead of outside where vandals may have damaged it. This made me happy as I put quite a bit of time into it and also the tough Tucson weather would not beat it up. They want me to do one for outside still and I am looking for and idea for that location. Feels good to get a piece of my work on display(and get paid) in a place like this. I hope it's there for a long time. Here is a couple pics of where it sits. It's kinda in the back on the right if ya go into there to see it. "TucsonTiki" aka the Hairless Hippie

V

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-09-22 17:35 ]

Thought I would try a shallow relief carve to expand my carving style a bit. Knocked this little fellow out this week. Still might put some kinda finish on it today. Starting to work on another large one for the Kon Tiki. Gonna try a lono style with a large headress with a full body. Hope the log I have picked out cooperates with me. Wish me luck! My girl thinks this one looks like Mr. Bill so I guess that's what I'm gomnna call it. Oh NO!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-09-27 13:04 ]

BTTT for the day shift!

S

So cool to have your tiki on display.

The head tiki is tight! simple original clean I like.

Did you make it to Tacoma in Aug? I thought about you but
it was at the end of Aug. Missed ya maybe next year?

Thanks, Ya, I made it there but not with the tikis. I flew up for a week and stayed with a freind. Will probably go again next year if the show is on.

Back up for the hip crowd!

I see a lil Doane Spencer in there.

BTTT for the groovy crowd!

Rock on!

Tucson,
From a fellow Tucsonian & Kon Tikier, GREAT work. Nice green wall too.
img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/9116/48fcdf88.jpg[/img]

After selling my last large carve to the Kon Tiki here in Tucson I decided at the urging of some of ya to try my hand at something like this large lono style. Seeksurf has been a big inspiration in the quality of his carves. I did not want to copy his style but expand on mine using his influence. Here is my first attempt at a full body lono with large headress. The headpiece will get lots more detail and I am far from finished with it all. I would like to know from the experts here what would be typical designs for such a headpiece? Any ideas would help or should I just go for it and get creative? Should these things have eyes or are they always hidden under the headpiece?

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-02 09:25 ]

Wow! Big start! Like the guy peeping at it on the wall!
You can find all your answers here!...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26061&forum=7

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks! That's a 50's Chevron billboard that I put up in the back of my messy shop. Been carving too much to work on my hotrods and get my shop in order. That's gonna change real soon though. Made good progress on the lono tonight and will post pics as soon as I get some designs on the headdress. TT

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-03 20:24 ]

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-03 20:25 ]

B

On 2008-11-02 09:23, Tucson Tiki wrote:
I would like to know from the experts here what would be typical designs for such a headpiece? Any ideas would help or should I just go for it and get creative? Should these things have eyes or are they always hidden under the headpiece?

Believe it or not, on Lono images, what appears to be a headpiece is the eyes. It's a very strange morph of an oversized pair of eyes, eyelashes (that go down the sides of the body to form braids of hair), and vertebra( forms a spinal column which is symbolic of a higher consciousness) that rise above the head.

Davenport/Cox explain it very well in their book "Hawaiian Sculpture". Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out, TT!

Bowana

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies