Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Not what it seems Page 16 8/20/13

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies

H

On 2008-11-02 09:23, Tucson Tiki wrote:
Any ideas would help or should I just go for it and get creative?

Looking good...I say get creative w/it (while keeping a mild influence from traditional images, maybe). That's what makes it 'your style' and unique, as opposed to a copy of something else.

Hey man,
Big fan of your style - I've been keeping an eye on your stuff since I found this place.
Do you mind me asking what kind of tools you are using to get such huge sweeping fluid lines?
The precision is really impressive on that scale to me.

B

More Way COOL Stuff man I Love tat tiki and headdress. Nice crisp detail!

Sweet carve! What going to sit on the top? Nice place for a torch maybe....? Happy carving.

Ya, I think I am gonna let loose with my own style on the headpiece. The oversized eye thing really won't work on this one. Worked on it tonight and I think I got a plan to make it look cool. Tyler. I rough out the general design with hand carving tools and then use a 4 1/2 Dewalt body grinder with 36 grit paper to shape up the big stuff and get the major shape. I then use a air angle 90 degree mini grinder with Roloc discs to shape the smaller stuff and then different burrs to detail the little stuff. Tried the SaburrTooth burrs advertised here on TC. They worked pretty good on some stuff and not well on other parts. I think they would have been better on a harder wood than palm. One fell apart the first second I used it. Don't know where you can get them as they say they are wholesale. They sent me some to try. Thanks for the kind words. The top of this one was just something weird I came up with. No particular reason other than being weird and different. This one will be offered to the Kon Tiki here in Tucson for the front of the bar if they want to buy it. We will see.

S

Tucson this guy is FAB! nice shape nice lines and good size!
You have got this down.

I wouldn't say i have my own style yet? Everything i have
carves looks like what i copy from pictures.

Seeksurf, On you next carve just do what comes natural and don't look at any pictures. Go Freestyle man! I wish the palmwood would let me get the tight detail like your alder. I will be in Wash. in a week or so to pick up some stuff for a family member. Looking to bring back some cedar logs with me. Hope it all works out.

Ok, Boys and Girls! Just finished sanding,burning and putting on the Copper Green wood preservitive. When it dries I will apply the spar finish. Should be finished up by tomorrow eve. Turned out pretty cool in my humble opinion. I am really happy with it. Will be offering this one to the KonTiki here in Tucson for their courtyard in front of the bar. First attempt at a large lono. Gonna do a few more like this in the near furure. TT

S

Sweet carve love the face and headdress!
Well done!

I will set you up with my last and only cedar log if you
come pick it up. Ill PM you

Just read your response after I read your pm. Yes, I'll come by and pick it up for sure. Thanks. Not only are your carves a great inspiration but your a goodguy too! Looking forward to seeing your stuff in person. I'll make sure you get some palm in the future. TT

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-13 15:52 ]

B

Excellent finish on this guy, MAN you have some STRONG detail skills, I LOVE the Beautiful Straight, fair curved lines, no bumps, lumps or irregularities, like it came out of a CNC Machine. (Can WE Use it? :P )
You have shown lots of creativity already with your headdress and the best way to get More creative is to just spend time in google/images of Tiki and anywhere else you can fine Tiki to look at (like Here), they will all inspire the creative juices. You are more than welcome to use any of my images for inspioration and copy them if you like.
Nice Stuff
I was going to comment on your Great shop but thats ANOTHER long post in itself :P :lol:

T

Nice statue! Love the whole vibe it gives off, sort of a retro primitive thing going. To me anyway, if that makes any sense, LOL.

Really cool garage too!

Thanks for the great comments on the lono. My garage is a sore subject with me. I am first and formost a hotrod guy. With the economy the way it is and the illiterate voting public the way it is I see no end in site for conservitive guys like me to make headway. I want to work on my hotrod stuff but it takes a lot of dough. The 40 Ford Sedan Delivery will be my promotion vehicle for my tiki habit. The 34 Ford coupe is just for cruisin'. Hope to get to the 34 this winter. In the meantime I carve. I wonder what I'll do next? HMMMMMMMMMMM!

Nice job TT!! I like the finish on it, and great imagination on the headress!

J

Nice job! Great take on a classic style, you made it fresh and unique, but very recognizable

Thanks, Here it is with a second coat of spar urethane finish on it. Kinda dark out when I took these pics. Sorry about that.

B

hey tt
was'nt sure were you were going with the headdress
but it turned out great!

also looks like you got a nice stash of logs there

Buzzard thanks. It turned out kinda weird. I wanted more details in it but the palm was really stringy and would not let me get to intricate. Going to Washington next week and driving back. Will bring back some cedar logs. Maybe they will allow me to get the detail I desire. Looking forward to trying cedar again. My first( very crude) tiki was outta cedar and was easy to carve.

B

Cedar will be good but it Can be difficult to carve. You should be able to get redwood and even Cherry and Soft maple. They have great carving woods there so Get a bunch. anything to allow you to bring out that excellent detail you are SO Capable of!

S

Looking good! Looks like you live in a walled compound
with those green wall.

I have a maple log you might want to try along with the ceder.
I haven't tried carving any maple yet but I'm sure its hard. I think
your going to be in carving heaven with something other than that palm.

Seeksurf, I am looking forward to meeting you on Tuesday. I really appreciate to wood. I will return the favor in the future. I will not forget it. Wanna trade carves? I dig your stuff and would like to own one. We can talk when I get there. Tucson Tiki

S

Yes, this will be cool. Looking fwd to seeing ya.

After going to Washington to pick up logs and other junk for someone else I decided to knock out a quickie. I wanted to do a simple one after that last one. I will be kicking out a bunch of small ones in hopes of selling them for Christmas presents. Place your orders now kids. Aloha! Used tung oil on this one as suggested by seeksurf. Love that finish. I am very happy with the color and ease. Will be using it more for indoor tikis.

[ Edited by: Tucson Tiki 2008-11-28 15:21 ]

Nice Moai, I love the expression. :) The finish is perfect. I will have to give that tung oil a try myself.
Is that fan palm?

I have no idea what species of palm it is. Probably. I sand with 100 grit than 220 with a palm sander to get that smooth finish. I will be doing this more in the future. Tung oil worked out great.TT

These are some great tikis. Your work is inspiring.

Can you tell me what was your art background before you started carving?

I am a beginner with about 5 tikis carved and I haven't found the courage to post any of them.

geedavee, Geez, I have no formal training. I am pretty much a hack compared to some of these other guys on here. Lubrication is the key! Drink heavily and wack the wood into submission. I just take each piece as it comes. I draw it out on the wood before I start to carve. I get inspiration from all these other kooks on here. Remember to carve deep to get detail. The one thing I see from a lot of carvers is that they don't pay attention to getting the right depth on the facial features. Buy good carving tool to start with and you'll be happy. Carve! Post! Drink! Repeat! Good Luck! --Tucson Tiki

BTTT!

I love the wise and relaxed look this moai has. The human looking mouth gives him real character.
And GeeDavee, posting your work will help get you good advice from the experts here.

[ Edited by: Grapa-RuHa 2008-12-01 01:41 ]

S

Wow! so simple but elegant. Looks GREAT! Nice lines!
Man the color and grain of the wood is working so well.
Is this the maple i gave you?

S

After more reading i see it a Palm Nice work!

Congatiki got me going on the tung oil props to congatiki he
is the man.

I have been working on getting ready for the Bi-Annual Tucson 4th Ave Street fair. Had a cool sign painted on a sandwich board that I constructed. I will use it at my house after the show to sell my stuff. Carved a couple of quickies for the event and I am working on one more. Tucson will be a tough sell but I am stubbborn as hell and think I can do something in this town. I will be setting up a website soon to peddle my creations. Pictured are the two new additions and the last moai I did. Enjoy if you will. TT

S

Right on! Good luck with the street fair.Good looking sign.
I particularly like the short guy good eyes and look.

Thanks Craig! The logs you gave me will be works of art. I will use them to the best of my limited ability. Are you getting busy with that NW totem pole. Get some heat in that garage would you! Dale

B

wow, Tuscon,, with the detail and Smooth finish you are geyying on your stuff you should do very well at your show. Good luck (but somehow I don't think you'll need it!) on your show.

Benzart. Thanks. I was ready for a whooping after my post on a another thread and I probably deserve it. We will see how it goes. I am not expecting too much. I'm just a beginner here.

Tucson,
See you at the street fair. I should be there on Sat. Hope you have the best of luck. Also, they're moving that giant Moai on Speedway to the Hut next week. Hope it makes it in one piece.
ciao

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2008-12-11 10:59 ]

Good, look me up. I'll be set up in the beer garden at the Hut. That large moai will be amazing out front. I have talked to the owner about it. Costing around 30 grand to get it and move it. Big investment

Nice job! When you use the tung oil do you put it on over stain or is that what it looks like natural? I think I might try that, it has a cool finish.

Craig

T

Great sign! Good luck. I like the moai the best. I see you kept all the really wicked stuff for yourself. :P Or is all the old stuff already sold?

Nice work Tuscon...I also really like the little bugger on the table...
and the table is pretty cool too...did you make that as well? Good progress
with your creations.

B

hey tt ,the tikis are looking good!
i hope you do good at the fair also,i am building a place
little by little in sierra vista and was wondering
if i could sell some for beer money or would have to switch
to cigar store inians

i have been using teak oil on mine,do you know what the difference
between tung and teak oil is?

On 2008-12-11 11:13, tikifreak1 wrote:
Nice job! When you use the tung oil do you put it on over stain or is that what it looks like natural? I think I might try that, it has a cool finish.

Craig

I make sure the palm is as smooth as I can get it and then just use the tung oil put on with a rag. I have no idea what the difference between tung and teak. I have used both and prefer the tung oil as it seems not ss dark and dries pretty quick.

Buzzard, Hard telling what is going to work around here. All I know is I just love carving the stuff that I carve.If they sell, great. If not, I guess I am going to have a lot tikis around my pad. Cigar store indians might not be a bad idea in these parts .I would need to get some big ol' wampuum logs though.HiyayayayHiyayayya!

On 2008-12-11 11:19, TheBigT wrote:
Great sign! Good luck. I like the moai the best. I see you kept all the really wicked stuff for yourself. :P Or is all the old stuff already sold?

No, everything I have is for sale. I just didnt feel like dragging it out for that last pic.

The street fair was pretty cool. I did not have a great spot as far as volume of people goes but, I was in the beer garden of "The Hut". Not a bad place to be if I might say so. I had a great time and made one big sale that made the effort worthwile indeed. Met Dr. Goat and his lovely wife at the shindig and had a great time carving a tiki in the beer garden of the Hut. Handed out a bunch of my biz cards and had a lot a good feedback on my work. Overall a great day doing what I love. Here is the pic of the tiki I was working on in the beer garden. Funny how alcohol brings out creativity in an individual.( Is this a problem?) The other happy face fellow is one that I kicked out quick for the street fair to have some extra work there. The last one shows the logo I have been using on my work. The TT is for my handle here and the lightning bolt S is for my last name and the the year Enjoy!

Hot Damn you're coming along nicely there TT. Good stuff.

TT,
It was great meeting you too! You're work is even better in the 'wood' than it is online in pics. If things were aliitle more stable, I'd have that happy boy on the right already. Met Doug Horne also, his work is a gas and he's a nice guy.
Got to have one of your carvings soonest, so here's looking to see you again.
Caio & best of everything to you & yours.
ps Glad you made a good sale...Did you sell one of your tall Lonos? Somebody is one happy fellow, right now.

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2008-12-16 19:54 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 244 replies