Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

March Chop - Saturday March 22nd in Oceanside!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 302 replies

March is right around the corner! We have four Saturdays to choose from. (I know there's five, but I'm ruling out the 1st, since it's this weekend.)
Saturday the 8th, the 15th, the 22nd, and the 29th.

I'm liking the 15th best, but any weekend works...

I'll gladly host, :) unless there are objections...

I have 5 cases of kava beverage to share with you all, that I scored last weekend. Black Tea flavor, and Orange-Mango. :drink:

I also have some wood for anyone that wants it. You just need to strip the frond ends yourself. (I'm not as nice as Buzzy :P)

So, pick a day.

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-03-05 15:31 ]

Ya know, G*D DAMMIT, I'd like to get at least 1 chop in before I have to go back to work!!! Any sooth-sayers out there that can predict a saturday that it's absolutly, positively NOT going to rain? I checked with the Union today and production is well under way so I vote (quite selfishly) for the 8th, that way it's early and a second day could still be worked in later in the month if others want to. I've only been able to work on lil guys in between the addition and poker.

M
mieko posted on Wed, Feb 27, 2008 9:55 PM

8th and the 15th look like they're going to be good for me, 29th would work also. I'd be happy to host as well.
Great Job on the little stuff T-bird!!

I think I'm liking the 15th best also.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Feb 28, 2008 5:58 AM

Mieko sez - "I'd be happy to host as well."

I vote Mieko's!

Her place is about 1/35th the distance of going to Wheeler's for me, and my kid has a sport class on Saturdays that really breaks up the day, so Mieko's would be great. Any weekend is fine.

Also, Thomas lives close to Mieko, as does Buzzy the Buzz Man, and Babs...

I vote for the 8th or ......I have relatives coming in from the east coast on the 15th and the surfbeat show opening....damn..It's been forever since I made it to one of these...

B

I can't make it the 8th or 14th :( but any other weekend should be fine. Doh.

Looks like maybe the 22nd? I'll try and get some sleep.

H2oTiki was home yesterday, but was more interested in seeing some girl than coming to visit his brother........got to talk to him on the phone though. In one month, he will be home for a couple of weeks, so we can all hear of his syphillus filled adventures with the Singapore Sling! Lots of pics from Japan, China, and the Orient and all.

I vote for the 22nd at Miekos, since I'm also helping my sister move to Lake Murray that weekend.

B

Par for the course, my schedule bites...pick any date...if I can't make it, I will inform my boss that I will will be starting to carve functional war clubs.

Dang yo, I've been poking around and looking at all you guy's work together as a collective lately...Man, there is some really nice stuff happening these days with "everyone" that has been attending these Chops. I find it really cool that though we meet every month, all of our individual styles remain so very different.

It might/could be fun for each of us to throw out a couple of images up on this thread, or another thread sometime, of a few things that we have done since we started doing these gatherings??

If I haven't said it lately, thanks for all the support and motivation you have "all" given to me over the past year...and for you folks out there that are eager to give carving a try....These Chop gatherings that we do is the best darn way to gather information, and have hands on fun doing it, in Southern Cal.

Hope to see some more new faces in March!

I second that babs...this group has been an AMAZING resource for all thing art/tiki/rum and wood. Thanks to everyone for really making it a monthly highlight!

I was just wondering when ya'll were going to start posting about a March Chop!
I'm cool with all dates, with the exception of the 8th.

Meiko, I got to hit up your mom about getting another one of those cement things or the recipe for making a couple of castes myself. I took a wide fat piece, but I don't like how my ash tray came out. I want a "do over"

Yippie! Chop chop chop!

Babs, I named the Tiki with the braids and the dose on it's tongue after you. It's name is Babalu, because your work was my basic influence on that guy.......not to mention, it's an acid dropping hippy!!

Here's the latest, all finished.

Ans before the horn......It's a real cow horn I found in my yard

This tikis name is "Noctournal Emission".

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

Visit the San Diego Tiki Carvers & Artisans at http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-02-28 14:17 ]

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-02-28 14:20 ]

On 2008-02-28 14:10, Billy the Crud wrote:
It's a real cow horn I found in my yard

A cow lost it's horn in your yard??? I don't know why I find that thought mildly disturbing. They don't just fall off. Or do they? Was there a dead cow attached to the horn? This is going to bug me all night.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Feb 29, 2008 3:41 AM

Exactly. Me, I find old candy bar wrappers, dog doo, clover, occasional rocks, and twigs in my front yard. Billy finds cow horns.

Did the neighbors put it there as a warning?

"We don't LIKE dat Tiki carving CRAP, give heem DE COW HORN! That weeel teach him good!"

Hey, that Mr. One-Eyed Jack is incredible! No crud, Billy Boy that is really freakin' nice! Is it all chisel work, or mostly power grinding, 'er what????

On 2008-02-29 03:41, Cammo wrote:
Exactly. Me, I find old candy bar wrappers, dog doo, clover, occasional rocks, and twigs in my front yard. Billy finds cow horns.

Did the neighbors put it there as a warning?

"We don't LIKE dat Tiki carving CRAP, give heem DE COW HORN! That weeel teach him good!"

Hey, that Mr. One-Eyed Jack is incredible! No crud, Billy Boy that is really freakin' nice! Is it all chisel work, or mostly power grinding, 'er what????

Kate, the cow wandered onto my porch looking for old candy bar wrappers, dog doo, and clover, and polished off the last of my tiki punch at my last Tiki Party........there were four bottles of rum in that bowl, along with pineapple, orange,orgeat, and several other juices. He tried to stagger off, but I figured since he was already marinated, I'd just go ahead and slap him on the grill. He was a little gamey, but good, nonetheless.

As far as tooling, Cam, I used my entire arsenal. Chainsaw, chisels, grinder, torch, sander, oil based stain, and acrylic paint. Glen is bringing an airbrush set up over this weekend and maybe I'll do a little of that as well. He's not varnished yet, so he's not 100% finished.

B

Why Crud Man, I'm honored to have an acid eating, hippie tiki named after me.

I'm pretty sure I have a horn or two laying around in my backyard. No cows attached. Kate, I think cows shed.

Mess with the bull, he sheds his horns? That don't sound right......

SO.......what weekend and where, guys? I vote for the 22nd still.

B

hey guys and girls
almost done with tiki # 4,i think im starting to turn into a chopper,i havent
heard of a cure,but i'll keep you posted.
i'll be on vac in az till the 22nd so only the 29th will work for me

4wd i would love to take you up on a piece of wood,i think i'm ready to do a full body,if i can get a 4 or 5ft piece

mieko ,i think the stars have all lined up right and will try to make the hypertufa tiki this weekend

thanks again for all your help,i've really learned alot at the chops

any day works for me

T

The only weekend I can't make is the 8th.

I say we let the host choose the date that works best for them.

Is it going to be Bill or Mieko though?

Z
Zaya posted on Sat, Mar 1, 2008 4:22 PM

The 22nd or the 29th work best for me.

B
Bowana posted on Sun, Mar 2, 2008 8:19 AM

Oh look at us from the first Chop at Mieko's! Dec. 2006 :)

I really love that first chop pic. Makes me miss Rick, man.......he sat by me at my first chop and guided my hand. Cool guy, right there.

The one eyed tiki sold today for $140. Had some friends over for a BBQ and they tried to buy my large laughing KU as well.......he's not really for sale. I passed up another $200 for him. I may be dumb, but I love that big KU.

M
mieko posted on Mon, Mar 3, 2008 10:53 AM

I think the 15th at Bill's sounds the best right now.

blahhhhh.....22nd at bills!!! right bill!!! come on...

Ahh....yes I remember the 1st chop. It was very theraputic for me at that time.

And I'm with you Billy, Ona let me use a couple of his FlexCut chisels at that first chop....and I saw the light. I was working with those crappy Buck Bros. at the time.

T

On 2008-03-03 16:06, CheekyGirl wrote:
Ahh....yes I remember the 1st chop. It was very theraputic for me at that time.

That was a pretty darn swell day. How naive I was that December! (The next four Chops were therapy for me.) I'm so happy to be all jaded now. :D

22nd sounds fine, 15th as well. I just ran out of avacados, man.

I've got a ton of lemons. I'll bring them to the chop.

I'll also bring the fixings for Trader Vic's Grog. I just picked up two bottles of TV's Passion Fruit Syrup. (The ones that still have actual fruit juice).

I'll also be lugging in a new log as I'm almost done with the WestCheeky Tiki. The new log is pretty beat up, gouged out in a bunch of places. Oh....and most importantly, my sketches for the Moai Shelves!

T

On 2008-03-04 10:57, CheekyGirl wrote:
I've got a ton of lemons. I'll bring them to the chop.

I'll also bring the fixings for Trader Vic's Grog. I just picked up two bottles of TV's Passion Fruit Syrup. (The ones that still have actual fruit juice).

Yeah!!! It's going to be one of those Chops. I'll never forget the jell-o shot Chop.

I'm voting for the 15th at Bill's again or also.

What do you say, Bill?

I'm now preferring the 22nd! It turns out Lennie will be at a trade show on the 15th, and she wants to start choppin', so I want to help that happen. :wink:

Cheeky and Kate, does the 22nd work for you?

22nd? I second the 22nd. It's perfect, man. I'm helping my sister move on the 15th, although I AM out of avacados

Got some new tools today. Got the Ryobi corner-sander and the Ryobi hand planer.
I also got a Bosch saber-saw, a Ryobi18v drill, a bench grinder, and a reef pole with Quantum reel, but those things aren't for tikis.
Can't wait to use these things on tikis!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 4:06 AM

"Got the Ryobi corner-sander and the Ryobi hand planer. I also got a Bosch saber-saw, a Ryobi18v drill, a bench grinder, and a reef pole with Quantum reel."

Man, you crazy! Babalu's doing his next one with just a cheese grater!

When's somebody gonna do a Tiki devoted to a power tool? (Greegah, the God of Grinders.)

T

I can make it on the 22nd, but I think Mieko may not be able to.

On 2008-03-05 04:06, Cammo wrote:
"Got the Ryobi corner-sander and the Ryobi hand planer. I also got a Bosch saber-saw, a Ryobi18v drill, a bench grinder, and a reef pole with Quantum reel."

Man, you crazy! Babalu's doing his next one with just a cheese grater!

When's somebody gonna do a Tiki devoted to a power tool? (Greegah, the God of Grinders.)

I DID do a tiki dedicated to the god of grinders.........it was just just a big, wet, pulpy, pile of sawdust. You should have seen the one I dedicated to the goddess of the chainsaw!!

On 2008-03-05 09:43, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I can make it on the 22nd, but I think Mieko may not be able to.

A chop without Mieko is like like a rumcake without rum.

I talked to Mieko, she can make it. :)

On 2008-03-05 12:18, 4WDtiki wrote:
I talked to Mieko, she can make it. :)

Fabulous. Looks like we have a winner.

I'm working on a new recipe. Maybe I'll try it out on you all.

woohoooo...and FINALLY I'll be able to hit this one!

T

On 2008-03-05 12:35, Clysdalle wrote:

Punkass. :wink:

Punkass bitch.

Just changed the thread title, so it's official! :wink:

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-03-05 15:32 ]

C

That's mister punkass bitch to you bottom feeders...

B
Babalu posted on Wed, Mar 5, 2008 7:47 PM

Hard for me to believe given my schedule this month, but I'm in! I'll be there on the 22nd with my cheese graters in tow.

This is going to be a great chop, guys! Now, if we can keep Sams house from getting robbed and TBirds car from breaking down, we should have a full crew.

I think some of us should carpool up, due to the gas prices as of late. Babs, Dave, Mieko, and myself all live in the south. A few of us should get together before the chop and split the cost.

H

Same here, finally!

this should be a sweet chop!

Z
Zaya posted on Thu, Mar 6, 2008 11:35 AM

The 22nd is perfect! I'll see you guys there!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 302 replies