Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

March Chop - Saturday March 22nd in Oceanside!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 302 replies

B

I'll bring the burner Mieko. What a fun tool that is...I have got to get one of those as well.

never mind on wood, im shaving the last 2 logs i got from buzzys stash a while ago.

B

Billy - Bowana...see you at 9:00 am...my cosa. You brings the CheeseWiz and Cokes, and I'll pay for the gas.

On 2008-03-21 11:57, Babalu wrote:
I can't wait to hear you guys Thomas!

The Easter Bunny is coming to the Chop tomorrow and bringing goodies...sneak peek:

Are his eyeballs affixed? If not, you're going to have to keep them away from Clysdalle. :roll:

God Damn I love everything you f'in carve!!!

Don't worry...I wont steal his eyes....I might just knick the whole damn thing! Great job Babs....

B

Not sure if I'm going to leave those eyes on him or not?...What, does Clysdalle have some sort of eye fetish or something?

B

Why thanks Clysdalle :-)

no problem babs...I love seeing people move past the traditional, expected stuff and push the limits!

If one or two of you who will need electricity bring an extension cord, that would be good. :)

Does anyone have one of those gardening knee pad thingys that I could borrow for the day? I'm doing something a little different and working without a stand. Also, are there any of those back table covers left at your place Bill?

On 2008-03-21 17:56, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Does anyone have one of those gardening knee pad thingys that I could borrow for the day? I'm doing something a little different and working without a stand.

hheheheeeee...... (ten year old inside makes joke here)

On 2008-03-21 19:19, Clysdalle wrote:

Does anyone have one of those gardening knee pad thingys that I could borrow for the day? I'm doing something a little different and working without a stand.

hheheheeeee...... (ten year old inside makes joke here)

Gee. How did I know that you'd be the first one to give me grief about this?

Hey don't let me be one to stop you from doing something different.....with knee pads and all :wink:

HT

Hi all,
I am in Yokohama Japan, well for the next few hours. then on my way home. I have not see much for Tiki in Japan, China or Korea, but I have been looking. I will be back in town 1 April and I'll be there for the next chop. Have fun, be safe and watch out for rabbit bunnies.

See you soon

H2O AKA Brian

just finished cleaning both of my logs for tomorrow

Does anyone have one of those gardening knee pad thingys that I could borrow for the day? I'm doing something a little different and working without a stand. Also, are there any of those back table covers left at your place Bill?

Kate, I have some hardcap knee pads, if all else fails. And by back table covers you mean those blue paper-fabric things that Sam brought, yes, there's still a bunch here.

On 2008-03-21 21:07, 4WDtiki wrote:
Kate, I have some hardcap knee pads, if all else fails. And by back table covers you mean those blue paper-fabric things that Sam brought, yes, there's still a bunch here.

Cool. Thanks, Bill. The pork is all shredded, and I even remembered to buy ice for the ice chest.

See you in the morning.

ill be bringing my brother n law this time along w/ pops does any one have a split log , he wants to try carving a mask thanks in advance see everyone tommorrow.

On 2008-03-21 20:11, H2O Tiki wrote:
Hi all,
I am in Yokohama Japan, well for the next few hours. then on my way home. I have not see much for Tiki in Japan, China or Korea, but I have been looking. I will be back in town 1 April and I'll be there for the next chop. Have fun, be safe and watch out for rabbit bunnies.

See you soon

H2O AKA Brian

BROTHER BRIAN!!! I miss you, pecker-head. Whole family does. Kelly is doing a Luau at lodge in April.....cool beans. I tried your boat email addy and it kicked back at me......Guess I'll see you April 1st!

Bill.......I've been well for two weeks. Still coughing up flegm. I've been released as "non contageous" for work in government buildings, so I think youre safe.

Kate........Knee-pad jokes are GREAT. I'll refrain. I've reached my quota for saying foul things at chops.

Babs and Bowana........I'll see you at 9-ish. I made RUM CAKE!!!!

B

See you at 9, Babs, Billy, and Bunny!

Have a great time everyone, even though I can't be there AGAIN! sniff

On 2008-03-21 23:44, Tiki Lee's wrote:
Have a great time everyone, even though I can't be there AGAIN! sniff

Lee, our fellow choppers Mike and Melissa are neighbors of yours and would love to chop in Vegas. Get ahold of them, would ya? I bring them logs when I can.

It's 10:15, but the boy & I are now en route!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Mar 22, 2008 1:20 PM

Hope everybody is having fun.

I'm stuck here with the Visitor From Another Land and da girls.

They brought the Thing That Eats and Mumbles.

They like to play cards a LOT, here's the scorecards and the rules for the most complicated card game I've ever played, "Dobon".

But making progress a lot today - since 6:30am - - -

and then stopped for the first lemon & sodie.

Laytah!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Mar 22, 2008 4:24 PM

It's 4:00 and I've hit the wet center of the log. Time to let it dry a bit more before the detail work.

Not so bad fer a day in the garage!

Where's the pics of the Chop??? They're whoopin' it up too much to take pics?!?!

I can't believe you used that dainty sushi knife to rough out the whole piece of wood! What a workout. Looking forward to its evolution.

Working on a pole at home myself but saw Buzzy, Mark and Erik the Red @ the swap this morning and they're all choppin' today.

Oh hey, can I have that big pile of scrap wood? :D

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2008-03-22 16:53 ]

Z
Zaya posted on Sat, Mar 22, 2008 9:56 PM

I had a great time at the chop today! It was really nice seeing everyone. Here's my pictures from today!

I'm looking forward to the next chop! See you there!

Zaya

[ Edited by: Zaya 2008-03-22 22:49 ]

Ok, kids.......I'm going to go ahead and post these all here because I know you folks are all too lazy to go look at the Myspace page. Bill and Lennie, once again, thank you SO MUCH for hosting. This has been the best chop yet and it was GREAT to meet all of the new kids and see all of the new art. Ken.......you're a nut and I'm looking forward to seeing you at more chops.

Babs, I can't thank you enough for driving us up.

CHEEKY!!!! GREAT GROG!!!!

(after all of this nice shit, I have to go out and find someone to insult)

Billy the Freakin' Crud

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

Visit the San Diego Tiki Carvers & Artisans at http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-03-22 23:38 ]

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Mar 23, 2008 7:20 AM

Billy, that's some Tiki you got there between yer legs.

What happened to Kate's experiment?

What is Bowana doing with what looks like a miniature guitar body? Is it fer leetle teeny guitarists?

Buzzy is going totally old school.

Is Babs actually carving a non-wabbit before Easter???

And who are all the new people??? What they doin' with the cool looking carvings???

Thanks so much to Bill and the San Diego Tiki Choppers. We spent the afternoon with them at the Chop yesterday and had a blast. It was a great day away from the studio for us. Loved meeting the greyhounds too! Everyone was so welcoming and willing to share the information on carving tikis, etc. Can't wait to acquire a some wood (totally sounds weird!) so I can begine carving a tiki I can't wear!

Thanks again!

Jen and Scott

Epic chop!!!
Here's some of my pics:
Sam and Buzzy

Erik and one of his dogs

Hilda and Kinny

Zaya's sister leads children astray teaching them tattooing

Our granddaughter Victoria gets to try the tattoo gun

Our dog Ringo gets in on the woodcarving

Sam's cousin Paul

Sneak peek at LLT's next masterpiece

Christina burns some wood

B

What a party! That had to be the largest attendance so far. So many new people that I didn't get to meet everybody. Kudos to our LA area buds who drove so far to make it (Cheeky, Kate, Birdman, Sam & Co, Hildy, LLT, HB, The Skinny Dogs, and anyone I may have forgotten) Thanks so much, Bill and Lennie for hosting another great one. Nice pics, everyone (except for my psycho killer/moai shot. Guess it wouldn't have killed me to smile). Thanks for the cool NZ coins, Kate! See you all soon!

..oh, and Happy Birthday to Babalu!! (March 23)

Bowana

On 2008-03-23 07:20, Cammo wrote:
What happened to Kate's experiment?

What is Bowana doing with what looks like a miniature guitar body? Is it fer leetle teeny guitarists?

Is Babs actually carving a non-wabbit before Easter???

And who are all the new people??? What they doin' with the cool looking carvings???

I believe you'll actually need to show for these things to get the answers to your questions. (Just kidding, Cam. We missed you. Mieko, Phill and I had breakfast at the Studio Diner this morning. The Crab Cakes Benedict are fabulous!)

This really was The Distraction Chop. I couldn't concentrate for more than ten minutes at a time. That's part of the reason why I only finished 21 inches of the 8 foot pole I was working on. I'll try to get some more work done on it this week though.

Here's Buzzy sporting some bling.

Hiltiki working on cement, and Mieko working on tiny pieces of wood.

Kenny being all artsy.

Clysdalle being all scuplty.

Lapatiki sporting the crazy bunny ear tats. (I love the headhunter bunny. Now that's cute.)

Thanks again to Bill and Lennie for hosting. (I left my glass bowl on the table. I swear if my head weren't attached...)

Thanks Babs for all the swell Hawaiian print shirts.

It was a great Chop.

H

I'm so glad I didn't miss this one! I was so distracted with everything that was going on, I didn't get much of my own work done. The Kava drink didn't help me get very motivated either though. :)

Can't wait for the next one.

B

Bill and Lennie...thank you! You are wonderful people! (Lennie are you from LA? - inside joke :) )

Thanks Dave...my goal for today was to watch old movies till my eyes hurt. :) I'm about half way there now...

Cammo, I love the start of your tiki, and sir, it is a damn good thing that we decided not to race...Buzzy showed up gunning for a new world record....he started about 11:00 or so I guess, split a 4 foot log down the middle - carved one side out with power tools - then he proceeded to carve the other side out with only chisels. After finishing both of those, he got bored and carved a pendant...Well, I'd say that about wraps it up, huh?

Wow - Wow - Wow All, That was a most spectacular Chop indeed! They just get better and better! I think we had like close to 30 artists there.

Think about this...I mean really think about this...yesterday we were made up of...wood carvers, concrete carvers, carving via cyber space, people wood burning, people drawing with pen and ink, kick ass jewelry makers, painters, people playing in clay...damn! - We had a tattoo artist show up to lay down some work on a grapefruit!

Artists with a common love of tiki just showing up just to play and enjoy each other company once a month! Everyone as welcome as anyone else ...Now, there might be something else like this going on out there somewhere, but man, I sure haven't heard about it? This is a really, really cool thing happening here...I'm really psyched to being a part of all of this...These are the good old days.

Pictures I had in no real order...

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-03-23 21:48 ]

I agree with all, great chop, great hosts as usual, great to see new faces! Next question, when is the next one so I can work on my excuses??

great chop! i had a blast, thanks 4WD for hosting it, cant wait for the next one

damn... you all were just BLEEDING art this weeekend..

so many different artists.. so many different mediums..

I need to get to one of these..

Impressive.

C

That picture of Billy Crudilly (above) looks like The Happy Hillbilly of Moon Jug Mountain! Can somebody PShop out a few of his teeth?

M

On 2008-03-23 21:31, Monkeyman wrote:
I need to get to one of these..

We'd love to have you. And it's not even that far for you. :)

It was an epic day - 25 people in the picture, plus some that didn't stay that long, it was an amazing amount of talent in one place. Every where I looked there was something new to learn. :)

Thanks again for hosting Bill, and thanks to everyone for coming and having such a good time!

H

Thank you so much Bill and everyone else for being so nice and helpful. I had the best time, see you all soon.

Bill!
Thanks soooooooo much for puttin on this CHOP!
What a Blast! You and your wife sharing your abode with all these maniacs
deserves a trophy!
Especially that Billy guy! Talk about a bona fide nutjob! :lol:
And thank you HB Tiki for driving and tolerating my ramblings
in the car!
A truly inspirational event!
Nice meeting everyone there!

All I can say is wow and thank you! Great fun, great food, great company, great carving.
Great seeing the Usual Suspects and meeting all the new peeps! and......I'm putting out an APB for my missing Tiki in a Bag. Doh!

On 2008-03-24 13:11, CheekyGirl wrote:
All I can say is wow and thank you! Great fun, great food, great company, great carving.
Great seeing the Usual Suspects and meeting all the new peeps! and......I'm putting out an APB for my missing Tiki in a Bag. Doh!

oooh crap....bowana said there was an extra bag so I could try it....was that yours??? there were two in the box....uh oh....I might be the asshole.....

Might??? :P

Might be the A-hole?
Everyone knows you ARE the A-hole Clysdalle! :lol:

On 2008-03-24 15:42, Clysdalle wrote:
uh oh....I might be the asshole.....

Please take note of Kate's amazing self-restraint.

It's no fun if it's that easy. Okay. It's a little fun.

On 2008-03-24 15:42, Clysdalle wrote:

On 2008-03-24 13:11, CheekyGirl wrote:

oooh crap....bowana said there was an extra bag so I could try it....was that yours??? there were two in the box....uh oh....I might be the asshole.....

Ah Hah! Partners in Crime! :o

Meiko's mom brewed me up a "Tiki in a Bag" To Go, as I really messed up my last project.
No big deal, have fun creating...I can work on it another time. I kind of got into my new "Twisted Tiki" and worked on it a little on Sunday as well.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 302 replies