Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

March Chop - Saturday March 22nd in Oceanside!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 302 replies

Okay. When are we chopping in April?

I know that most people who are vending at Tiki Farm on the 19th wanted to get one more Chop in beforehand to get some more pieces finished. So that leaves us with either the 5th or the 12th. Any thoughts?

On 2008-03-24 15:42, Clysdalle wrote:
.... bowana said there was an extra bag so I could try it....

It's all Bowana's fault! He stole my piece of wood too.

Next chop I vote for after the Tiki Farm sale. I bet if we had a chop at Cammo's house, he wouldn't show up.

Thanks to the following:
Clysdalle for the Sony floppy disc Mavica FD-83. That's an $800 camera ya'll!
4WD and Lennie for hosting.
4WD for the wood.
Bowana for providing me with new ideas to steal.
Cannibal Sam for the blue cloths.
Kate and Cheeky for the pork and donuts.
Tbird for making the coolest pendant EVER!
Babalu for the bamboo holder that he gave to Zaya for what he thought was her woodburner.
Zaya for the bamboo holder that I stole from her for my woodburner.
Mieko for the extra hair clips.
Musubi mom for the cement that Bowana ended up stealing and giving away.
Billy for turning into TikiGhandi lately.
I can't remember if there was anyone else, but thanks for whatever i need to thank you for.

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-03-24 19:03 ]

On 2008-03-24 19:02, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Tbird for making the coolest pendant EVER!

It's eeriely hilarious! We need a pic posted!

Sure looks like it was a great chop! I’m not going to miss the next one, no matter what I’m staying all day.

CheekyGirl, I have extra bags of Tiki Mix. I’ll bring it to the next chop or if you want it before the chop I can ship it to you.

B

On 2008-03-24 19:02, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2008-03-24 15:42, Clysdalle wrote:
.... bowana said there was an extra bag so I could try it....

Oops! I am so busted! :oops: Sorry Cheeky, those instant Tikis in a bag were sitting around all day and I didn't know one was yours. I should have checked around a little bit more before I started selling them off. Clysdalle, I'll refund your 5 bucks next time I see you. :) Cheeky, the other bag Billy and I were going to split, but I'll give you my half. Sorry, my bad.

Buzzy, I'm not sorry I stole your piece of wood. :)

Your friend,
Burglin' Bowana

On 2008-03-24 09:02, little lost tiki wrote:
!
Especially that Billy guy! Talk about a bona fide nutjob! :lol:

Sometimes I'm amazed I'm even allowed out of the house, man........and some OTHER nutjob gave me a gun!

TikiGhandi, eh Buzz? Does that mean that one of you is going to come up and shoot me at a chop?

If these chops get any larger, there's no way we're going to be able to have them anywhere but Bill and Lennies. Thank god we have you guys!......MAN, what a huge crowd! I can't wait for next months chop. Dino is hooked, too. His mask was really good for a first tiki, I say.

On 2008-03-24 22:51, Billy the Crud wrote:
TikiGhandi, eh Buzz? Does that mean that one of you is going to come up and shoot me at a chop?

No. Don't you remember that Bill said we can't bring guns to the chops anymore. :(

Buzzy Out!

On 2008-03-24 23:19, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

On 2008-03-24 22:51, Billy the Crud wrote:

No. Don't you remember that Bill said we can't bring guns to the chops anymore. :(

Buzzy Out!

Good thing I left mine in Babs' garage!

Great time as always....was good to get out of the studio and work around people!!

Here is my sugar shifter after being coated with some primer and then pulling a wax text cast...

On 2008-03-25 20:41, Clysdalle wrote:
Great time as always....was good to get out of the studio and work around people!!

Here is my sugar shifter after being coated with some primer and then pulling a wax text cast...

Damn, that's nice, Clyde!! Too bad you're such a dickhead. That is REALLY fucking cool! I know a couple of all girl car clubs that would LOVE this thing.

T

On 2008-03-26 10:45, Billy the Crud wrote:

Damn, that's nice, Clyde!! Too bad you're such a dickhead.

Billy's right, that is a nice shifter

since you already got the wax-make candles while you're at it...
and while you're at it..
why don't you do some Tikis?
this ain't sketchcult-it's TIKI Central..
get it?

and as if on cue....here comes LLT to spread some negativity to an otherwise wonderful event...thanks kinny.....thanks a lot. Jerk.

:D :D :D :D

Yeah, Kinny.......ya bleach-headed wacko!!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Mar 27, 2008 7:17 AM

I don't know, but Billy and LLT calling each other wackos is like a frying pan and the ace of spades callin' each other black.

(An I thought you guys LIKED being wackos!?)

hey for those of you who are interested, my ska band finaly ahs some good recordings off our newest EP. theyre up on our myspace

http://www.myspace.com/drskavra

and theres details for the april 1st show up there too on a poster, and our callendar

Buzz....Hiltiki brought the Doh-nuts....I brought the Trader Vic Grog! Although, I think next time I'll stick to bring sodas, on a hot day like that a cold drink was more in order than booze!

Clyds -- cool sugar shifter

The Grog was excellent and greatly appreciated, Nelva. As were the donuts.

Okay. I'm going to keep nagging until we pick a date for the April Chop. There are only three options since we're all going to the Parking Lot Sale on the 19th. So what's it going to be: the 5th, the 12th or the 26th?

the 5th is the closing reception of the Surfbeat show (shameless plug) so anybody who is into anything tiki/surf/lowbrow/kustomkulture/art/air/food/booty....should really check this show out before it comes down for good.

On 2008-03-27 14:07, Clysdalle wrote:
the 5th is the closing reception of the Surfbeat show (shameless plug) so anybody who is into anything tiki/surf/lowbrow/kustomkulture/art/air/food/booty....should really check this show out before it comes down for good.

Dude. Are you going to make some musubi with that Spam?

Don't worry Kate....someday you'll have something to tell us.........something important or interesting.....

some day....

maybe...

:wink:

On 2008-03-27 13:51, Tiki-Kate wrote:

Okay. I'm going to keep nagging until we pick a date for the April Chop. There are only three options since we're all going to the Parking Lot Sale on the 19th. So what's it going to be: the 5th, the 12th or the 26th?

Kate, why don't you pick the date, I'll be fine with it, and whoever shows, shows. :D

Oh, and that spam comment... :lol:

On 2008-03-27 13:06, CheekyGirl wrote:
Buzz....Hiltiki brought the Doh-nuts....I brought the Trader Vic Grog! Although, I think next time I'll stick to bring sodas, on a hot day like that a cold drink was more in order than booze!

Clyds -- cool sugar shifter

I KNEW I forgot to thank someone!! Nelva, the Grog was HEAVENLY!! Thank you.

Buzzy and I picked up 16+ HUGE 6-8 foot logs today and spent $50. on gas to get them in my very UNeconomical truck.........but with 4-11 gears, it's the ONLY thing we could have used to pick up some of these hulking monsters.

APRIL CHOP!! Wheeler, when we doin' it?

OK, I'll step up and say the 26th works for me! Is it me or my imagination, FEEL THE LOVE!!!!

M

I kinda liked the idea of chopping the week before Tiki Farm and doing it on the 12th, but then again, I guess I could use the extra time to get ready, so 26th is ok with me too.

I'm working on the mens bathroom guard tiki at the Bali Hai restaurant. One of my favorites. I'm also going to try to make a mask in three hours. Billy, how bout saving me a log for this April?

O.K.,

So I took Cammo's advice and chopped out here in Vegas while you all were chopping out there. Actually, I basically finished the project I started during the chop at Tiki Oasis. I got a good bunch done at the San Diego Old Car Swap Meet in February, but it still needed a bit here and there, as well as staining.

Anyway, here it is:

It's my first "marq", and while it's uneven and choppy, it was a good learning experience.

If anyone has any tips on losing the choppy-ness while carving, please lemme know. Otherwise, I'll just keep practicing 'till I get "smoove" like you's guys!

Mahaloz!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Mar 29, 2008 6:17 AM

Lee Marvin -

Glad to see somebody else telecyberchopcommuting along wit me. TCers from absolutely anywhere can do it too, you don't have to leave your house to attend the Chop, just git some wood and start hacking! And post pics!

It's really hard going in on the wood, then flat, then back up to the surface again. Better to do it as a series of "V" cuts in, or get a 1/2 round small scoop chisel and make your larger channels rounded.

Otherwise, that Tiki looks great! You doin' fine! Nice stain.

If you want the outside surface to be totally flat and smooth, just use a power 1/4 sheet sander (150 grit?) and the whole outside surface will look like it's made out of freakin' polished bronze.

On 2008-03-27 19:38, 4WDtiki wrote:
Kate, why don't you pick the date, I'll be fine with it, and whoever shows, shows. :D

I'm leaning toward the 26th at the moment.

The 26th is cool by me.

Cam, Lee Marvins son, Chris Marvin was my first drummer when I was doing the "Jazz of the New Beat Generation" Jazz and poetry showcase up in Santa Rosa. Crazy sonumbitch, right there. Cool guy. The show ran for 6 months and was a great expressive outlet, man.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Mar 30, 2008 8:34 AM

Crud, you makin' this stuff up?

Lee Marvin is the coolest guy in the known universe. The only guy who has ever starred in classic film noirs and comedy musical westerns.

"Emperor of the North" is maybe the greatest film ever made. Well, it's in the top 5. Top 3.

Did you know he used to live in a cheapo beach apartment over Adam West? West was the party king but even then Marvin scared the crap out of him with the 24 hour nonstop out of control drinking binge parties he was throwing...
Hey, does anybody wanna see the Tiki Thomas band, Dr. Skavra on April 1st? They're sort of more angry and loud than mellow and ukulele, but what the heck?

ahah our angry song "one note song" we did as a joke :D haah

C

On 2008-03-30 08:34, Cammo wrote:
Crud, you makin' this stuff up?

Lee Marvin is the coolest guy in the known universe. The only guy who has ever starred in classic film noirs and comedy musical westerns.

"Emperor of the North" is maybe the greatest film ever made. Well, it's in the top 5. Top 3.

Did you know he used to live in a cheapo beach apartment over Adam West? West was the party king but even then Marvin scared the crap out of him with the 24 hour nonstop out of control drinking binge parties he was throwing...
Hey, does anybody wanna see the Tiki Thomas band, Dr. Skavra on April 1st? They're sort of more angry and loud than mellow and ukulele, but what the heck?

Nope! All true, man. Chris Marvin is a drinkin', party lovin' man, just like his daddy, and still lives in Santa Rosa, frequenting the Belvedere and the Tradewinds in Cotati. There was only one other drummer that added that special pop to the whole ensemble(Jesse Wickman), but the most memorable nights were with Chris Marvin. Crazy, cool shit, man. The jazz just crept into you like a rapist through an open window above the fire escape, and held your senses hostage. What more could you do but emote? Made me feel like a man with an 80 IQ, hearing "Freebird" for the first time.

On seeing Skavra, I'll put my best foot forward.

RWT32 Las Vegas32, F&AM

Visit the San Diego Tiki Carvers & Artisans at http://myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

[ Edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-03-30 14:43 ]

HOLY Pachyderm portraits, Batman! That was REALLY cool.

B

Uhhhh...I believe that was the most incredible thing I have ever seen!!

M
mieko posted on Sun, Mar 30, 2008 6:36 PM

26th works for me, and seeing Dr. Skavra sounds like fun, I love ska. :) Thomas - what time are you guys scheduled to play??

Any idea where it will be held? Can it be in Oceanside again?

I would like to document the next chop if its ok with the regulars. I will be bringing my video camera and will be taping over the shoulders of the talented artists present.

I will also be pulling a few of you aside and asking you some carving questions on camera too.

I can make anyday for chopin'

and heres a poster I made wiht the info

B

If'n you all go with the 26th, then I'm in....unfortunately. I'm gone the rest of the month of April :(

On 2008-03-30 19:24, Monkeyman wrote:
Any idea where it will be held? Can it be in Oceanside again?

I would like to document the next chop if its ok with the regulars. I will be bringing my video camera and will be taping over the shoulders of the talented artists present.

I will also be pulling a few of you aside and asking you some carving questions on camera too.

The only "talent" you'll find is in Tiki Magazine. We are all pioneers of an ancient art. No celebs here, man. We're just a bunch of folks who love Islandic art and are addicted to Miekos Musubi!

Mister Krud,

From what I hear... you ARE the celeb of the group :)

Im just recording the real story.... no spin

No worries....

Looking forward to it.

There's plenty of talent in the group. We're just a little short on shameless self-promotion. Except for Buzzy. :wink:

C

Billy the C has;

1. Progressed fastest in carving, maybe than anybody I've ever seen.
  2. Gone native and seen the Light.
  3. Hates posers.
  4. Made more friends.
  5. Made more enemies.
  6. Makes great desserts.
  7. Seems to have disturbed some folks at his condo complex over a little matter of chainsawing at 4:00 am.
  8. Thereafter left more woodchips around the communal pool than anybody else.

and

1. Changed his name more times than anybody I know on TC.

You either love him or hate him. We've never taken a vote. He's in.

Here's a preview of disc 12 from the forthcoming MM Tiki DVD:

Riveting Chop Action!

This will be so inspirational!

I'm glad MM is coming to the chop so we can all discuss, at great length, my inumerable contributions and inventions of tiki design, and how these chops pay homage to the global influence and inspiration to the tiki world that I inspire on a daily basis.

MM: Let's discuss our compensation for this.

Buzzy Out!

Buzzy is a TikiGuy who carves tikis in his living room in front of the tv and I am not an artist, I make tikis. Check out my work at http://www.buzzysex.com
-Bu

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2008-03-31 11:50 ]

On 2008-03-31 11:50, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Buzzy is a TikiGuy who carves tikis in his living room in front of the tv and I am not an artist, I make tikis. Check out my work at http://www.buzzysex.com

You may just be graduating from TikiGuy to King of the Smartasses. :lol:

I can't believe I dared to click that link. :up: :o

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 302 replies