Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

March Chop - Saturday March 22nd in Oceanside!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 302 replies

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 1:44 PM

I climbed up to the top of the seven pools once with a diving mask and snorkel in hand. Each pool was less touristy and harder to get to. The final top three had nobody around them, but for some reason had milky-cloudy water that made diving out of the question. It was very strange water.

When I got to the very top pool, it was a little round one and a guy was sitting at the side smoking a joint. I hope he's still there. He's my hero.

He probably is. He's also probably the reason the water was all murky.

This is from my visit to the Oheo pools last year. (The park rangers get really testy if you refer to them as the Seven Sacred Pools.) It was very windy that day.

Can't wait for the Chop. If I get one of my big projects finished, I'm going to allow myself to start on something new this month. I really miss being able to finish a project in just one day, but I think I've come up with something that I can complete in a few hours, even amidst a sea of major distractions...like the masubi. :D

B

Nice tikis there Billy man! Now I know where to go to borrow an airbrush :)

Kate sure looks happy in that photo...the islands always do that to a soul huh.

On 2008-03-13 12:26, Babalu wrote:
Nice tikis there Billy man! Now I know where to go to borrow an airbrush :)

Kate sure looks happy in that photo...the islands always do that to a soul huh.

Yeah, man.......you just have to show me how to use it!!

Hey CheekyGirl saw your post about needing another hunk of cement, I can bring a bag of ingredients so that all you have to do is add water. Sort of Instant Tiki-In-A-Bag. Or I can mix up the cement on Friday so that you can carve on Saturday. Does anyone else need a bag of Instant Tiki?

This is Cyndi’s black skull she carved from last month and a tiki I did last week.

Sorry, I can't make it this month. I have a job interview on that day. I'm bummed. This picture is taken in Lahaina close to a giant ficus tree. There is a guy carving tiki's just to left of me. He only had a few chisels and a wooden mallet creating works of art. It takes him only a few hours to finish one. I've got dremel's, chisel kits, sanders, chainsaws, and it still takes me weeks to finish one. Too bad they would not fit in my friggin suitcase or I would have bought one. I was like Booger in revenge of the nerds watching the master burping guy picking up any knowledge that I could.

[ Edited by: tikimanalex 2008-03-14 12:20 ]

[ Edited by: tikimanalex 2008-03-14 12:22 ]

On 2008-03-13 20:56, Musubi Mom wrote:
Hey CheekyGirl saw your post about needing another hunk of cement, I can bring a bag of ingredients so that all you have to do is add water. Sort of Instant Tiki-In-A-Bag. Or I can mix up the cement on Friday so that you can carve on Saturday. Does anyone else need a bag of Instant Tiki?

This is Cyndi’s black skull she carved from last month and a tiki I did last week.

The Instant Tiki-In-A-Bag sounds good, in that way I can find a container that would suit the "new and improved ashtray" for my Tiki Bar, the Lilo Lounge. I'm too embarrassed to post a picture of the ashtray I made. It looks kind of scary.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Mar 14, 2008 6:22 PM

Hey, some time we should have a Tiki-A-Day Chop. Each person could come up with a fast way of doing a Tiki in less than 8 hours, and go to it!

One way is to do a real simple mask - and come with the design already laid out.

On 2008-03-14 18:22, Cammo wrote:
Hey, some time we should have a Tiki-A-Day Chop. Each person could come up with a fast way of doing a Tiki in less than 8 hours, and go to it!

One way is to do a real simple mask - and come with the design already laid out.

Marquesan. I've done one from stripping the log to staining the damned thing in like 7 hours. I laid it out in half, folded the paper, then used pin holes and a sharpie to transfer it to the log. Just play connect the dots.

8 hours!?! Pfft! Maybe for you and Kate! :P

Me, Buzzy, and Clysdalle will use a stopwatch. :D

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-03-14 19:05 ]

I've got a one day project planned for this Chop. (That is, if I can find everything I need for it.)

B

Yes, yes, you cat's is fast, and yes, you cat's are all "extra good"....but for me...well, Rome wasn't built in a day baby.

Bowana, we may drive in the slow lane, but we is still going to get there brother.

I'll show you where I had 3 fingers reattached from rushing a saw and a piece of wood.

Its TIKI KARMA it will be when it is ready to be !!

You can kind of see the scar on my pinky and ring finger I wiped out the middle one too.

Oh yea is this a members only thing or can people who don't carve come and watch ??
[email protected]

On 2008-03-15 00:30, Skinny Dog wrote:
Oh yea is this a members only thing or can people who don't carve come and watch ??

Come on down! Just PM me for directions, etc. But don't expect to see any carving races, it's just talk.

C

Carving Race!

Lets do it! Power or no power?

On 2008-03-15 10:32, Cammo wrote:
Carving Race!

Lets do it! Power or no power?

Oh pulease! No power, of course.

Aw, man!! No belt sander races?

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 2:34 PM

How about a power race on one side and a no-power on the other???

I go no-power. Kate's right, as usual.

On 2008-03-15 14:22, Billy the Crud wrote:

Here ya go Billy. Check out the "island style" sander.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HLKsAUxiL9E&feature=related

Likely list of attendees: Mieko, Kate, Clysdalle, Babalu, Billy, HB Tiki, Zaya, Buzzy, tikithomas, CheekyGirl, Cannibal Sam and Pops, Bowana, Cammo, tikihai, Musubi Mom and Dad, Skinny Dog and wife, Lennie and me.

Anymore names???

B

On 2008-03-15 14:34, Cammo wrote:
How about a power race on one side and a no-power on the other???

I go no-power. Kate's right, as usual.

Your scared...

On 2008-03-15 17:33, 4WDtiki wrote:
Likely list of attendees: Mieko, Kate, Clysdalle, Babalu, Billy, HB Tiki, Zaya, Buzzy, tikithomas, CheekyGirl, Cannibal Sam and Pops, Bowana, Cammo, tikihai, Musubi Mom and Dad, Skinny Dog and wife, Lennie and me.

Anymore names???

Is it just me, or do these names all sound made up?

On 2008-03-15 14:56, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

On 2008-03-15 14:22, Billy the Crud wrote:

Here ya go Billy. Check out the "island style" sander.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HLKsAUxiL9E&feature=related

That was pretty cool, Eric! I have actually seen people RIDING those fuckers as well. I guess it got banned for obvious reasons.

Where ya been, man? We miss ya......come to the next chop and see what's buzzin', cousin!

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 9:30 PM

"Your scared... "

Do you mean 'you're scared?' perhaps?

Actually, I'm not scared. I just think I can mow through a log 10 times faster and come up with the coolest looking tiki you've ever seen

with

NO F'N POWER WHATSOEVER!

Just me an' me little razor sharp chisels!

You wanna race? O r u scared?

B

Your on...

High noon...unmarked logs...you with your little sharp chisels, and me with whatever I want. I'll even leave the chainsaw at home.

you, you...chiseler!

On 2008-03-15 21:30, Cammo wrote:
"Your scared... "

Do you mean 'you're scared?' perhaps?

Ouch! Check out Cammo busting a grammar cap in Babalu's ass. Smackdown #2.

B

I think I'm going to call mine the "Bite Me Cammo" tiki...

Get to plotting Cammo...you only have one week.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 7:49 AM

If John Henry could do it with steel and muscle, so can Cammo.

And so can you!

Who's IN?

M
mieko posted on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 9:20 AM

On 2008-03-15 00:30, Skinny Dog wrote:

You don't need to carve - but we all get together to learn from each other, and I'd LOOOOOVE to know how you make those rings! Is it lost wax casting? Something else? Bring whatever parts are portable to show us what you do. :)

Mieko

B

Hey Meiko, I think moving into metals would be right up your alley...I think you will find the casting to be the easier part for you (with the right tools, or access to the right tools). It's the clean up of the work that's the hard part.

Okie Dokie John Henry...The "all done" whistle blows at 5:00 pm next Saturday. Be ready to stain.

Peace, Love, and Power tools.

B

On 2008-03-14 22:31, Babalu wrote:
Yes, yes, you cat's is fast, and yes, you cat's are all "extra good"....but for me...well, Rome wasn't built in a day baby.

Bowana, we may drive in the slow lane, but we is still going to get there brother.

Or I can mix up the cement on Friday so that you can carve on Saturday. Does anyone else need a bag of Instant Tiki?

This is true, Babalu! However, I'd like to request a bag of instant Tiki from Musubi Mom and I'll show these Chuckleheads how to make a Tiki in a day! Never mind that I am the reigning champion Slowest Tiki Carver on Earth!

Hmf!

T

aaaaccccccccccccckkkkkkk ...didn't realize that it will be on Easter weekend.
I will be unable to make it on the 22nd. Have fun yall.

Easter, schmeaster. I can't see how a holiday that's named after an eastern fertility goddess (Ishtaar) has got anything to do with Christianity. Just like Christmas.........a big jumbled, confused mess, devised simply to seperate us from our greenbacks.

I'm choppin'!

Or I can mix up the cement on Friday so that you can carve on Saturday. Does anyone else need a bag of Instant Tiki?

The Birdman would apprieciate some, I'll be there (LOL, as long as it's not raining!).

B

Werd up....

I hear through the grapevine that Cammo wife's family is going to be in from Japan that weekend and he may not be able to attend :(

Real sorry to hear that .

Initially, I was going to have a nice relaxing day at the Chop...sand a little here, burn a little there...fill my tummy, etc.

Now that I've set myself up to carve a tiki in a day (from start to finish)...I guess I will still go through with it. So as it sits now, I think if I were to just show up to the Chop and draw a line on a log, I would smoke Cammo....but alas, I will stick to the plan, and make a good go of it.

Most likely will have to spend Easter Sunday on the couch recovering.

All I can say is HA-HA! Bowana just set himself up too :) maybe not as bad, but still....

Can I still enter the following contests?
#1 Fastest power tool carved tiki
#2 Fastest chiseled tiki
#3 Fastest concrete tiki carved, 9" or taller
#4 Fastest concrete tiki carved, smaller than 9"
#5 Fastest hook knife pendant
#6 Quickest mold of carved pendant poured
#7 Most resin castings made, single day
#8 Quickest slab built mug sculpted
#9 Most tikis made in one day, by one person, ever

Cammo: Babalu says if you get a log from me you cannot have it until Friday evening. He says he'll give you a log too, but same Friday deal. He`said no trick photograhpy while telecommutingcybercarving either.

Buzzy Out!

Will there be a paramedic standing BY??????/

[ Edited by: Skinny Dog 2008-03-17 15:19 ]

B

Actually Buzzy,

I think if Cam still wants to do his cameradameradoo thingy from home, he should pick up his log from you on Saturday morning...we wouldn't want him pre-drawing on his log now would we? This still gives him many hours to start before me if he chooses....I won't be setting up to carve until what...10:30 or so? He also wants to now add a Japanese back saw to his line up of tools (thing works as fast as a chain saw almost)...but hey, I'm cool with that little add on as long as he carves a full body tiki.

PS: Skinny Dog - :lol:

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-03-17 15:24 ]

Sam's kinda an EMT...

kinda of emt, how dare you , i'm way better, plus i bring tamales.

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Mar 17, 2008 3:42 PM

I can draw all I want before chiselin'. What you think I'm gonna do, jab the log so hard with a pencil it'll carve chunks out? Well maybe that's exactly what I WILL DO!

You sound scared! What's all this little rule crap? I'm starting at 9:00 am. It's done when its done. Don't go trying to pull the brake before the finish line. Who'd carving this, moi or vous?

If somebody wants to come to my house Saturday and carve theirs and watch to see I ain't cheatin' then FINE they can come. PM me. I'll telecyberinternethingycommute and you'll all be jealous.

I still need a log. A halfy, 2-3 feet is fine.

On 2008-03-17 15:42, Cammo wrote:
If somebody wants to come to my house Saturday and carve theirs and watch to see I ain't cheatin' then FINE they can come. PM me. I'll telecyberinternethingycommute and you'll all be jealous.

I carve where the tamales are. :D

On 2008-03-17 15:22, Babalu wrote:
Actually Buzzy,

I think if Cam still wants to do his cameradameradoo thingy from home, he should pick up his log from you on Saturday morning...we wouldn't want him pre-drawing on his log now would we? This still gives him many hours to start before me if he chooses....I won't be setting up to carve until what...10:30 or so? He also wants to now add a Japanese back saw to his line up of tools (thing works as fast as a chain saw almost)...but hey, I'm cool with that little add on as long as he carves a full body tiki.

PS: Skinny Dog - :lol:

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2008-03-17 15:24 ]

I can't believe that cam wants to even TRY his hands at a speed carve.....he just finished his oki oki tiki 20 minutes ago! :wink:

wait an f'in second....did Cannibal just talk about bringing tamales...oooooh boy.

My art and goodies...
http://www.davidlozeau.com

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2008-03-17 16:20 ]

M
mieko posted on Mon, Mar 17, 2008 4:41 PM

On 2008-03-17 16:17, Clysdalle wrote:
wait an f'in second....did Cannibal just talk about bringing tamales...oooooh boy.

Tamales from Sam and Musubi from me and my parents, Clysdalle is set. :)

What is everyone else eating??? :)

Lennie is making a bunch of BBQ'd teriyaki chicken skewers, and a vat of quacamole from the avos from our tree. I've got 5 cases of kava beverage, 3 black tea flavor, and 2 orange mango flavor. And a couple bottles of Stone Imperial Rusian Stout released today. http://www.stonebrew.com/irs/. 8)

B

Looks like I will need to take many breaks for food and drinky...I isn't going to pass that up...period.

So Cam, I don't get it? Why not just come to the Chop? Bring the family...you are going to be carving all day in either place anyway. It ain't that far away boss.

What's the since of doing a race thingy if it's not timed? When do you want to say stop....6:00 pm? You call it.

And quit being such a bitter buddy....Ok, ok, you can pre-draw on it as well...is there anything else you want while we are at it? Do you want me to tie one hand behind my back? Tell you what, I won't draw on this log of mine at all....does that make it better?

I've got almost everything I need for my project.

I'll bring the cookies as usual, and I'm making Kahlua pork.

Sounds like there's going to be a ton of people this month.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 302 replies